GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USFC - Donegal v Down

+2
Boxtyeater
Thomas Clarke
6 posters

Go down

USFC - Donegal v Down Empty USFC - Donegal v Down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:38 pm

I'm surprised our Donegal brethren haven't started a thread on this one, so I'll kick it off.

Last year, this was a very interesting match, with Down causing the champions problems for half an hour, before tiring and being blown away in the last 25 minutes. Tyrone have had this problem too against Donegal, and it all stems from that well known recipe for disaster of small men running into big men.

If Down are to win tomorrow, they will have to get early goals, no mean feat against a side who don't concede many. If Poland, Laverty and O'Hare can make something happen early on, and take a lead into half time, perhaps the champs may be under a bit of pressure for a change, particularly as their bench will be weakened due to their supposed mini injury crisis.

Still, logic points towards a result similar to what we've seen in the recent past. A bright start by Down, but Donegal decisively finishing the stronger.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

USFC - Donegal v Down Empty Re: USFC - Donegal v Down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:58 pm

More than 50 years ago Down bucked the trend of "catch and kick" football with their innovative and quasi-cynical style of "football".

Don't quote me about the hand-passing rules that applied in the 40's & 50's.

"Yerra" got to grips the rules in 1975 and rode them to death.

Royal Meath re-established equilibrium circa 1987 when football sustained a 4 year breather....Galway threw a lifeline...ignored.

Cynicism, possession football, fear of conceding, nutritionists, head-bangers took over in the new millennium

Game over.

Down's fault....It's an amateur game.

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:45 am

If you were just to look at the final scoreline from last year's game, you'd imagine a very different game than the one that it actually was. After 50 minutes, there were only 2 points in it and but for some terrible defending that allowed a Leo McLoone to waltz in for our first goal, we would have (and probably should have) gone in behind at half time.

I certainly don't expect Down to concede before the finish this time - they must look back on those last 20 minutes with real embarrassment. Still though, I'd expect us to have too much for them and I reckon there'll be 5-6 points in it at the end. McBrearty to get 0-04 from play.

Safe travels to everyone who is hitting the road today.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:20 pm

If you are going to beat Donegal then you are going to have make life as difficult for them as they will for you. Today's game might follow a similar pattern to last year's, with Down putting it up to Donegal in the beginning before Donegal force them into submission. Donegal (the Donegal we saw in last year's championship as opposed to the one in the League) are dogged, Down are not. If anyone is going to beat Donegal this year, it'll more than likely be Dublin. Cork or Cavan might. A team who can match their attrition.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Imagine if McFadden had a right foot
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi guys,

Tactical analysis of Donegal's win over Down is up here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Emmet

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin
Number of posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:51 pm

OMAR wrote:Imagine if McFadden had a right foot

He can fairly kick a ball. Before his burst in the 2nd half, I thought he looked listless and lazy - a bit like the McFadden of old - but then he just came to life. The big thing about having 3 top inside forwards, is that even if 1 or 2 are having off days, there is still another one who can get you out of a tough situation.

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Down played better than I thought. Well done to them for their efforts. Well done to McCartan who prepared his troops very well.

Donegal maybe that bit cuter, bit more seasoned. That was what set them apart from their opponents. They should win a third Ulster now and more big days in Croke Park await.

Down can take confidence from today. Though how they react now is important. Such a big performance followed by an unfavourable outcome can have a deflating effect. Particularly with only 13 days to their next match, might be a tough game to overcome emotionally. A
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Down looked gutted at the end of the game, and you can understand why, given the huge effort that they put into the game. Every time they looked like they might drift out of the game, they gamely nicked a point, and never let their opponents build momentum (this is something that Tyrone have failed to do in the 2nd half of their last 2 encounters with the champions). Down restricted Donegal in a way that no-one else has since Dublin in 2011, and technically were a kick of the ball away from snatching a shock win. It has been discussed on here before that this may be the only way to beat Donegal - i.e. let the game descend into stalemate, and hope to nick a goal or couple of late points.

In saying that, it was a win that never really looked like it would happen for Down. I heard James McCartan saying that they had the chances to win the game late on but, to be honest, I didn't really have the sense that they were ever going to go ahead.

Down set out their stall to defend and keep the game as tight as possible. They are also physically bigger than in previous years, and were pretty much able to match Donegal for power in most areas of the field. What they sacrificed, though, was any attacking threat whatsoever. They scored 1 point from play in the 1st half, and 3 in the 2nd. They scored 10 points in total, and several of those were brilliant frees from Donal O'Hare - frees that he may not kick the next day. As a template for the rest of their season, I'm not sure that playing so defensively will yield great success.

For the Mourne men, I thought that O'Hare was excellent, as he has been any time I've seen him this year. Turley, and the full backs were also very good, while Kallum King went through a mountain of work. I know the invaluable role that he performs for them out the field, but I think that they really need Conor Laverty further up the pitch. He and Poland really could cause a lot of trouble together if getting enough ball. I give credit to McCartan for taking off Benny Coulter, but he now must be braver still and drop him. I've said on here all year that, aside from the increasingly sporadic flash, Benny is finished.

Donegal will be pleased to have won a game against division 1 opposition, playing poorly and with several injuries. The strength in depth of the squad is not as great as some would make out, and certainly not when it comes to replacing Lacey or Gallagher. They will be disappointed at their handling and the number of turnovers they gave up, and that won't be good enough against anyone once they are out of Ulster.

I've already commented on McFadden. I thought he looked so disinterested early in the 2nd half, but then he just came to life. Mark McHugh was also excellent, and looks back to his best after his injury problems.

Overall, it was a forgettable game, aside perhaps from the encouragement and (possible) template that it will have given to other sides playing the champions.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:44 pm

Relieved that we got out of their with the win. With both teams setting up so defensively, it reminded me of our preliminary game against Antrim in Ballybofey. Tight and tense.
Ultimately it came down to us having a bit more class up front. McFadden got scores when we needed them and Murphys fee-taking was immense.
The ref had a poor enough game. We were guilty of a lot of holding and blocking of runners, as were Down to a lesser extent. Thought King was extremely luck to be still on the pitch after 5-6 minutes. He had two head-high hits, the 2nd of which was an elbow. Still, Down can probably feel a bit aggrieved overall about the reffing.
McHugh put in a great shift and Durkan was excellent - especially his composure under the high ball. McBrearty was in pain with a tooth ache I hear, so that might explain why he was quiet.
At the end of the day, we are in our 3rd Ulster final in a row. Not very convincing but we'll take it.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:03 am

Hi guys

Video analysis of what Down did in defence and transitioning into attack now up
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]