GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyrone v Donegal - USFC Semi Final

+9
bluearmy1
OMAR
patsymc
bald eagle
Parouisa
bocerty
The Puke
redhandman
Thomas Clarke
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tyrone v Donegal - USFC Semi Final Empty Tyrone v Donegal - USFC Semi Final

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:01 am

This Saturday brings together the two best sides in Ulster, and will inevitably see the winner being referred to as ‘dark horses’ for the all-ireland. The sides met at this stage 12 months ago, with Tyrone cutting through Donegal at will for 20 minutes, before eventually getting caught in Jim McGuinness’ defensive web, with the Tir Chonaill men running out comfortable winners in the end.

Since then, Donegal have proven themselves able to compete with top sides like Kildare & Dublin, and also retained their division 1 status despite not really focussing on the league. Many observers believe that they have improved physically, and much is being made of their increased scoring tallies this summer (I’d advise caution here, as they have beaten 2 weak sides so far).

Tyrone, on the other hand, have changed considerably since last June, that game proving a watershed moment for Mickey Harte’s great side. Mickey started to remould his side after the Donegal defeat, introducing a more attacking style based on pace and movement, and picking players accordingly. It was the last time that we played an out-and-out sweeper. There have been several retirements, while other established stars have been lost to injury, all of which has resulted in a new look Tyrone side for this summer.

There is little doubt that this game will be a tactical battle. Despite the noises about looking to be attack more this year, Donegal are likely to more closely resemble the side that beat Tyrone last year, as opposed to the one that rampaged all over Derry last week. Tyrone played throughout the league with an extra centre back, but had a more traditional formation against Armagh, just as they did post-Ulster last year. I would be very wary about an attacking approach against Donegal, and would prefer to see a bit more caution. Mickey will surely be tempted to re-deploy either McNabb or Peter Harte into his defence for this one.

Aside from the decision of whether or not to reintroduce Rory Kavanagh after injury, Jim McGuinness’ big dilemma is where to play Michael Murphy. Against Derry, Murphy played at CHF. Was that because Jim wanted Murphy to get more time and space on the ball, and was worried that he may get bottled up at FF, or does he now believe that Colm McFadden and Paddy McBrearty are a genuine inside threat on their own, thus giving him the luxury of playing his star man further out the field? Big Jim does appear to have slightly more options this year than 12 months ago.

So, the scene is set for a mighty battle. Unlike a couple of brilliant Ulster Championship games this year, I don’t think that this one will be pretty, but it should definitely be compelling.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Tyrone v Donegal - USFC Semi Final Empty Re: Tyrone v Donegal - USFC Semi Final

Post  redhandman Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:25 am

I have picked Tyrone for the tipster but for the first time in my life I hoping for a Tyrone win more than expecting it. As has been pointed out before recent history with donegal is poor , several injuries with mcnabb supposedly adding to it in recent days . In my opinion to beat donegal Tyrone need both mcmahons on the field .

Tyrone have to be undedogs giving donegals hammering of derry. There is always one upset could Tyrone be it on Saturday .
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:33 am

The very best to Donegal and Jim McGuiness this weekend.
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:46 am

redhandman wrote:I have picked Tyrone for the tipster but for the first time in my life I hoping for a Tyrone win more than expecting it. As has been pointed out before recent history with donegal is poor , several injuries with mcnabb supposedly adding to it in recent days . In my opinion to beat donegal Tyrone need both mcmahons on the field .

Tyrone have to be undedogs giving donegals hammering of derry. There is always one upset could Tyrone be it on Saturday .

Don't think big Justy is fit for Saturday RHM
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:49 am

The Puke wrote:The very best to Donegal and Jim McGuiness this weekend.

Thinly veiled, I hate them Tyrone ***** and hope Donegal give them a hammering......
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:53 am

This will be soooooo close .. have I got the bottle to go for the draw in tipster??? Was only a point out in Cork - Tipp .....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:57 am

bocerty wrote:

Thinly veiled, I hate them Tyrone ***** and hope Donegal give them a hammering......

Far from it, have no axe to grind with Tyrone and would have a lot of time for the likes of Ryan Mcmenamin, Sean Cavanagh and Brian McGuigan to name but a few.

I do have nothing but admiration and respect for Jim McGuinness and what he has achived so far and what he is hoping to achieve with this Donegal side and would love to see them win an A/I. The man is a revolutionary in the mold of Ger Loughnane
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:59 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:This Saturday brings together the two best sides in Ulster, and will inevitably see the winner being referred to as ‘dark horses’ for the all-ireland. The sides met at this stage 12 months ago, with Tyrone cutting through Donegal at will for 20 minutes, before eventually getting caught in Jim McGuinness’ defensive web, with the Tir Chonaill men running out comfortable winners in the end.

Jesus TC i think that last comment is a bit harsh on Tyrone, my recollection of that game is we more than held our own against Donegal for 65 minutes of that game, we had blown their defensive system out of the water with our tactics and but for some wayward free taking from Peter Harte (who should have been relieved of these duties early on) we could have won that game. In fact, but for a very lucky turnover in the last few minutes were Marty Swift lost possession and Donegal goaled the result could have been very different.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:04 am

The Puke wrote:
bocerty wrote:

Far from it, have no axe to grind with Tyrone and would have a lot of time for the likes of Ryan Mcmenamin, Sean Cavanagh and Brian McGuigan to name but a few.

I do have nothing but admiration and respect for Jim McGuinness and what he has achived so far and what he is hoping to achieve with this Donegal side and would love to see them win an A/I. The man is a revolutionary in the mold of Ger Loughnane

Puke, intrigued at the use of the word revolutionary here, can he really be called that when all he has done is copy a system used by quite a few others over the years??

He has done a lot for Donegal football and they are easily a top four side but I don't think he has brought anything new to the table. They are an incredibly fit side with a great work ethic and a great sense of togetherness but because of his fickle nature they are playing without one of their better footballers.

He is certainly a good manager but the word revolutionary wouldn't be one I'd use when describing him
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:13 am

bocerty wrote:He has done a lot for Donegal football and they are easily a top four side

Granted they were AI semi finalists but not sure they are easily a top 4 side. IMO a shocking decision cost Kildare a semi spot last year. They are a bit behind Cork, Dublin and Kerry and I think Mayo should be on anyone's mix this year.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:26 am

bocerty wrote:
The Puke wrote:
bocerty wrote:

Puke, intrigued at the use of the word revolutionary here, can he really be called that when all he has done is copy a system used by quite a few others over the years??

He has done a lot for Donegal football and they are easily a top four side but I don't think he has brought anything new to the table. They are an incredibly fit side with a great work ethic and a great sense of togetherness but because of his fickle nature they are playing without one of their better footballers.

He is certainly a good manager but the word revolutionary wouldn't be one I'd use when describing him

Leaving aside everything else in terms of mentality and the mindset he has brought to Donegal football he is a revolutionary. A great manager who deserves enormous respect
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:29 am

The Puke wrote:Leaving aside everything else in terms of mentality and the mindset he has brought to Donegal football he is a revolutionary. A great manager who deserves enormous respect

I would agree with this sentiment Puke. What he has done to a team that were completely written off 2 years ago is amazing when you look at it, regardless of style of play.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:41 am

The Puke wrote:Leaving aside everything else in terms of mentality and the mindset he has brought to Donegal football he is a revolutionary.

Translated: He got them off the gargle ...... Very Happy
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:57 am

McGuinness has been very impressive in his first 18 months with Donegal. He has them fitter and more organised than ever before, and the team have clearly bought into his insistance for discipline, both on and off the field.

Especially, given the shape that Donegal were in before he took over, he has done an outstanding job so far, and has barely put a foot wrong.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:15 pm

My above post is (only) half in jest but there is no doubt he has instilled the discipline and commitment that is needed for success these days - and has been ruthless on a couple of occasions. The fact that they won Ulster last year helps too in that the players saw something tangible immediately. It will be interesting to see how they set out this year as their set up last year will only take them so far and teams would be familiar to last year's style. Mind you countering it is another matter. However to me - and they are like Kildare in this - they over-egg the handpass far too much.

One observation about Mc Guinness I would have is that Murphy got a knock to the knee in the NFL game in Croker v the Dubs this year and was clearly struggling. A short time later they got a long range free (beyond the 45) and Murphy took it. Not only did he miss by a mile but he seemed to exacerbate the injury and was subsequently taken off and missed the next few weeks with the injury. I though it was avoidable and senseless.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:47 pm

redhandman wrote:... several injuries with mcnabb supposedly adding to it in recent days . In my opinion to beat donegal Tyrone need both mcmahons on the field .

i agree with Boc that Justy is highly unlikely to play. I'd be very tempted to play young Conor Clarke and put him on McBrearty, but I'd guess Mickey may prefer Joey and Gormley back there.

McNabb has been badly troubled with injuries over the last couple of years, but Mickey clearly rates him very highly, and has kept him close to the team during all that time. As I understand it, he hasn't really trained since the end of April, but he did play against Armagh, and will be considered again for Saturday.

It sounds a bit like the Paul McGrath/Ledley King situation, where the lad can play a game ok, but then needs time off afterwards. Admittedly, it is easier to go through a game half fit as a soccer centre back, than it is as a half forward/half back in gaelic football.

Last edited by Thomas Clarke on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:48 pm

The Puke wrote:
bocerty wrote:
The Puke wrote:
bocerty wrote:

Leaving aside everything else in terms of mentality and the mindset he has brought to Donegal football he is a revolutionary. A great manager who deserves enormous respect

Don't get me wrong Puke I think he deserves enormous credit for what he has done, he certainly has brought them together and their propensity to self implode mid season has definitely been dealt with.

But I would say he was a man who perhaps took his lead from other revolutionaries moreso than being one himself....
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:57 pm

bocerty wrote:
The Puke wrote:
bocerty wrote:
The Puke wrote:
bocerty wrote:

Don't get me wrong Puke I think he deserves enormous credit for what he has done, he certainly has brought them together and their propensity to self implode mid season has definitely been dealt with.

But I would say he was a man who perhaps took his lead from other revolutionaries moreso than being one himself....

Rolling Eyes
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:58 pm

I can't cut and paste anymore but there are some striking similarities between Jim McGuinness and .................. Che Guevara! Maybe he is a revolutionary after all! affraid
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:58 pm

Parouisa wrote:
bocerty wrote:He has done a lot for Donegal football and they are easily a top four side

Granted they were AI semi finalists but not sure they are easily a top 4 side. IMO a shocking decision cost Kildare a semi spot last year. They are a bit behind Cork, Dublin and Kerry and I think Mayo should be on anyone's mix this year.

Donegal are a bit ahead of Kerry P no harm, Kildare are also ahead go them. My top four would be Dublin Cork Donegal and Kildare, Mayo have a lot to do to justify being classed ahead of Kildare and Donegal
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:06 pm

Ah B you can never write Kerry off. The team that came within 7 minutes of Sam last September are way ahead of Donegal or Kildare in my opinion.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:20 pm

Parouisa wrote:Ah B you can never write Kerry off. The team that came within 7 minutes of Sam last September are way ahead of Donegal or Kildare in my opinion.

Never write them off but they are behind those 2 teams I think, only marginally but they are behind them
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:48 pm

i know that justy is out hence my comment that to win we need both mcmahons. with justy out our chances are reduced.

they are built to play against teams like donegal big strong atheltic can carry out all the rudimentary skills needed ie catch, kick, break a tackle, cover ground and above all else have a willingness to do it.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:25 am

Tyrone have named the same 15 who started against Armagh for tomorrows game against Donegal. Word on the street is big Justy is not going to make it so either that information is incorrect or else Mickey is trying to keep Donegal guessing.

As I said before the team Mickey names is usually the one that starts so it will be a case of waiting to see the 15 that take to the field. Personally I don't think Justy will start, not even sure he is fit to take his place on the bench either. My reckoning is Joe McMahon will go to full back and Michael Murphy will start at midfield.

Looking at our bench the options are limited so I think it's advantage Donegal already.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:53 pm

bocerty wrote:

As I said before the team Mickey names is usually the one that starts so it will be a case of waiting to see the 15 that take to the field. Personally I don't think Justy will start, not even sure he is fit to take his place on the bench either. My reckoning is Joe McMahon will go to full back and Michael Murphy will start at midfield.

Yes, an interesting selection, but we'll not know until tomorrow who will really play. Justy, Carlin and McNabb appear to have been the biggest doubts, and I'd like to see all of them start. Justy would be a huge boost, as it would mean that we could keep Joe in midfield, while Carlin might be a good option to play on McBrearty. McNabb would also be a big plus, as he has a great appetite for work, and a natural knack of being wherever the ball happens to be.

I notice that Donegal folk (RMD, Omar....Patsy Rolling Eyes ) are very quiet on this one - perhaps that is because the rest of the country sees this as a foregone conclusion in their favour, whereas the locals are a bit more concerned about how good they actually are.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next