GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster SFC 2012

2 posters

Go down

Leinster SFC 2012 Empty Leinster SFC 2012

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue May 08, 2012 4:07 pm

First Round
Westmeath v Louth

Longford v Laois

Meath v Wicklow

Quarter-Finals
(A) Westmeath or Louth v Dublin

(B) Longford or Laois v Wexford

(C) Meath or Wicklow v Carlow

(D) Offaly v Kildare

Semi-Finals
Winners A v Winners B

Winners C v Winners D

Last edited by Thomas Clarke on Tue May 08, 2012 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Leinster SFC 2012 Empty Re: Leinster SFC 2012

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue May 08, 2012 4:10 pm

For so long the poor relative of the other 3 provinces, Leinster is probably the strongest at present. Next year, there will be 7 Leinster counties in divisions 1&2 of the league, while on top of that you have Meath and division 4 champions Wicklow. Very impressive, and very competitive.

Dublin, reigning all-ireland champions, and winners of 6 of the last 7 Leinster titles, will start again as favourites. Louth and Westmeath both survived in a competitve division 2, and their battle to face the Dubs in thr quarters is a toss-up. Likewise the tussle between Longford and Laois. Laois are good enough to trouble all bar the big two, but Longford were the only side to go through the league undefeated, and will really fancy making their home advantage count. The winners play Wexford, and it will be a good 'un who picks the semi-finalist out of those three.

The other half of the draw looks much easier, and Kildare should be easily the best of that bunch, although the Meath/Wicklow match has the potential to bring about some early season drama. Offaly and Carlow should be making their usual early trip into (and out of) the qualifiers.

To me, a final meeting between the Kildare and Dublin looks almost inevitable. Despite huffing and puffing, Kildare are yet to get the better of Dublin, but they played their way into form as the league wore on, and were impressive in easily beating Tyrone in the division 2 final. They are the only side in Leinster physically powerful enough to match the Dubs and would be my choice to take the title.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed May 09, 2012 10:10 am

The Leinster title rests between Dublin and Kildare - the rest of the province is weak enough. Laois are a poor side who have shown no C'ship improvement in recent years and will be back in Div 2 next year.

While some people might consider it 'competitive' I would say Div 2 was extremely poor and the likes of Westmeath and Louth will have no impact in the province - nor will Meath. Longford will be competitive enough -as will Wexford who are probably next best after the top 2. Offaly and Carlow will be fodder and Wicklow are Div 4 champions and nothing more.

It will be interesting to watch the Dublin approach this year. They have had a weak League for the first time in a couple of years. Kildare would love a Leinster title and I thought Dublin would not be too concerned about Leinster over the last few seasons but this has not been the case.

Provincial championships are all very well but the reality is that Dublin, Cork and Kerry are the main contenders with Kildare and possibly Mayo in there with a shout.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed May 09, 2012 11:50 am

Parouisa wrote: Provincial championships are all very well but the reality is that Dublin, Cork and Kerry are the main contenders with Kildare and possibly Mayo in there with a shout.

I guess the problem with that attitude is that you only get to enjoy a handful of games in August/September, and then dismiss everything else as being irrelevant. Personally, I enjoy watching football, be that league games, provincial championships, McKenna Cup, Sigerson, under-age, whatever.

I think Leinster will be very interesting given that, beyond the big two and Carlow/Offaly, pretty much any of the other 8 could beat each other. A couple of them might end up getting a good run in the qualifiers as well.

So, I'd agree with your Kildare/Dublin final prediction, but I think there is plenty more to look forward to beyond that.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed May 09, 2012 12:11 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:I guess the problem with that attitude is that you only get to enjoy a handful of games in August/September, and then dismiss everything else as being irrelevant.

Sorry is the thread about potential Leinster champions and therefore possible All ireland winners? If so that is my summation.

I enjoy a lot of games at every level too but if you are looking forward to the Championship that is my read on it. No need for the usual snottiness ....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed May 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Parouisa wrote: Sorry is the thread about potential Leinster champions and therefore possible All ireland winners? If so that is my summation.

I enjoy a lot of games at every level too but if you are looking forward to the Championship that is my read on it. No need for the usual snottiness ....

No, it wasn't. It was a general thread about the Leinster Championship, for people to comment/discuss as we progress through it. But, as on the general threads about the McKenna Cup and the NFLs, your only interest is to dismiss it as irrelevant, as all that counts is the AI final.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed May 09, 2012 12:37 pm

And then people wonder why no-one posts here anymore .....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed May 09, 2012 12:47 pm

Parouisa wrote:And then people wonder why no-one posts here anymore .....

Perhaps it's because some posters spend all their time either belittling our football competitions and other counties, or else droning on incessantly about ill-treated Dubs and how the world is against them. It's a shame you can't be more positive about things.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed May 09, 2012 1:17 pm

It's a shame you can never accept any point of view but your own.

This is the biggest form of belittling you can get IMO .....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down