GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Provincial Championship Run-down

+6
rich dublin
bocerty
GAA-Fan
Jayo Cluxton
RMDrive
bald eagle
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Provincial Championship Run-down Empty Provincial Championship Run-down

Post  bald eagle Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:48 pm

Here's my rundown for the Ulster Championship and how i think teams will fair in it. Please feel free to comment and add an honest view. Post your views on your provincial Championships too please!

Antrim - New manager in charge, not doing too bad in the league but still a mile away from a victory in Ulster. Very tough game against Donegal in the opening round and they are just not good enough......yet. Verdict - Defeat to Donegal and a first round exit in the Qualifiers.

Armagh - Past it? My arse they are!! Ulsters consistant side and defending Champions, but a tough side of the draw to negotiate and a mammoth game against Tyrone in the Q/F. Winning Ulster has been a habbit for Armagh lately at the cost of All-Ireland success. Will they look past Ulster this year for a 'Tyrone' run in the Qualifiers? I don't think they'll have the choice. Verdict - Opening round defeat to Tyrone.

Cavan - Fermanagh and Down battle it out for the honour of playing Cavan in the first round. Cavan are off the pace to do serious damage in Ulster, but not by far in my book. I think they'll provide the shock of the opening round by booking their place in the Semi-final but thats are far as they'll go! Verdict - Semi-finalists, but a close defeat in that to Donegal!

Derry - My beloved county, the eternal underachievers! New manager, new players, and so far a new gameplan and hunger. Manager will be the deciding factor for Derry, DC took Tyrone club Clonoe to the Championship without the club having 1 county player, an amazing feat by anyones standards. Bogey team Monaghan again face us, but i feel we'll do a job on them this year. Verdict - Ulster Final, no win though!

Donegal - Most unpredictable team in Ireland i think, but a nice Championship draw will see them get to the Ulster final after wins over Antrim and a hard earned win against Cavan. I feel they will gain revenge on Derry for the result in 2008. Verdict - Ulster Champions after replay win over Derry, that's it though as the Champions curse will strike in the AI Q/f.

Down - Potential, they have bags of it! Very tricky game against Fermanagh in the preliminary round, hard to pick a winner in it but the heart and head say a Down win. That's as far as they go though. Verdict - Shock defeat to Cavan in Quarter Final.

Fermanagh - They have peaks and troughs, one year brilliant, the next year awful. Great run last year but shocked every with how the imploded in the qualifiers. Should be defending Champions, but for a scoring forward or 2. This will cost them as they will fail to live up to the previous seasons Ulster exploits and will limp out. Verdict - Prelim exit, then a short run in the Qualifiers.

Monaghan - If they could only beat the damned Kerry!!! Very good side and not given the credit they deserve. I have no doubt that if they had beaten Kerry last year thay would've reached the All Ireland final. It's in their capablities, fans would settle for an Ulster but they won't get the chance this year i feel as i think Derry will account for them in the game of the Ulster Championship. Verdict - Defeat to Derry before reaching the All Ireland Semi-final.

Tyrone - Well what can be said about them that hasn't been said before? Deserving All Ireland Champions in my book (grates me to say it) and early defeats in the Ulster Championship seems to give them a kick up the arse. Big billing with the game against Armagh, and will put poor league form behind them to beat Armagh. Another big game against Derry in the Ulster Championships biggest derby, however will come a cropper to energetic Derry. Verdict - Semi final, after that who would bet against them retaining their crown?

There it is folks, my view on the Ulster Championship. Just my honest view and not intended for a slagging match as i've just been honest. I've said an age ago, i think Donegal will win the Championship, even pipping my side Derry in the final. Thoughts?

Last edited by bald eagle on Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Provincial Championship Run-down Empty Re: Provincial Championship Run-down

Post  RMDrive Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:50 pm

Great summary BE. I'll have to put on my thinking cap and post a reply tomorrow.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:53 pm

RMDrive wrote:Great summary BE. I'll have to put on my thinking cap and post a reply tomorrow.
Why is this in the GAA thread?? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:56 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
RMDrive wrote:Great summary BE. I'll have to put on my thinking cap and post a reply tomorrow.

There's no Wrestling threads yet Jayo!! Sad

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:00 pm

Hold on here Admin!

BE posts a belter of a poster and then says thanks to RMD for kind words and RMD gets a green post just for being nice and BE gets nowt for a very informative post! This system sucks! We'll be getting those 'Irish' knighthoods from Lizzie next!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:05 pm

I thought I took the 'thanks' button away the other day Mad

obviously not.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:07 pm

Admin wrote:I thought I took the 'thanks' button away the other day Mad

obviously not.
There's more buttons on this site than the space shuttle! And did you buy cheap e-voting machines off someone? Suspect
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:11 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:

Forget why the threads here...what's a dub doing in the GAA thread?! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:53 am

BE - if Donegal win this years Ulster Championship i'll do a Colm O' Rourke and eat my hat. I think your way of the mark with that - while Cassidy has came in and brought a new found confidence and a lot more organisation to the Derry team I am afraid John Joe has brought little so far. Donegal have not go the forwards to win Ulster and I don't think they have the defenders to mark the Derry forwards either.

Its Derry's title for me (spit).
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:05 am

It's all about opinions Boc, I really hope you're right but i think that Donegal will be fresher for an Ulster final due to the route they have to it.

Do you like salt with your hats?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:15 am

no just a little mayonnaise thanks Laughing
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:18 am

Well RMD, can't you find your thinking cap? pale

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:44 am

bald eagle wrote:

Well RMD, can't you find your thinking cap? pale

Ah, this is a weekedn task BE. The few minutes I have here and there during the week wouldn't be enough to get my hear around the monster that is the Ulster championship. Plus I don't really have a clue what I'm talking about Wink
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Provincial Championship Run-down Empty Connaught championship

Post  rich dublin Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:15 pm

as this was started looking for each provence to post ill post my first post on this site with htis,

Galway- the look really strong this year, great forwads as always but now they seem to have a strong defence, mid-field has improved alot but if as always seems to happen Bergin gets injured what will happen??
interesting that they play Sligo in the Connught championship i think they could underestamte them ( maybe thats hope)

Mayo- as always will be snipping at galways heals and chances are there will be a mayo/galway final, impressive mid-field one of the best in the country and a solid back -line question markes as always over their forwards if they come under pressure, however in a one of game against galway in a final anything can happen

Roscommon- under 2006 all-ieland minor winning coach fergal o'donnell, they have a new found confidence and spirit, solid at the back but lacking the forwards to really threaten this year,playing leitrin and would look to beat them and then its mayo Smile tough.

Sligo- have started to show some real form albeit in division 4, however there one big game so far was against leitrim and the wholloped them, match this weekend versus antrim away will tell alot, have galway first up and its a very tough draw, could spring a surprise but cant see them beating galway and mayo in the same year, not since 1975 has that happened.

Leitrim- always so close, donegal, meath and many more just came out of carric alive, problem was they were always SO CLOSE never closed the deal, have gone back this year under Moran and look like the qualifiers will be there route this year.

no point talking about new york or london.

Verdict

Galway v Mayo final

Gaway win by 2.
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo
Number of posts : 911

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:17 pm

Good post to start Rich - tough standard to live up to now! bounce
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  rich dublin Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:23 pm

LOL cheers mate and i like this board very quick post times, love the smiles and seems to be the " old " hs crew here, so all good, Laughing Very Happy Shocked Surprised
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo
Number of posts : 911

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:03 pm

Welcome rich! Very Happy

I'd agree on Galway winning Connacht, can't see them being stopped this year and they'll be looking to go further too.

Now to the serious business, the Ulster championship! Very Happy

Very hard to call, from one half at least. I'd expect Donegal to reach the final as I've said before, though there are a few potential banana skins in wait. Nevertheless, I think Donegal will have a good championship this year, perhaps even winning Ulster, but I think they'll get far in the All-Ireland too(well, compared to recent seasons Razz ). From the other half, where do you start? Brutal draw for us personally, we'll be very much up against it in Derry and it may be a bit much to win for the 3rd year in a row. But I'll just leave that prediction for now! As for Tyrone-Armagh, another tough one to call. Always a feisty encounter with plenty of incident. I would have said a Tyrone win but you just don't know, Armagh are always tough in Ulster. My orginal prediction for Ulster when the draw was made was Tyrone beating Donegal in the final. But since then Tyrone have looked a bit shaky and Derry very impressive. I'll stick with my original thoughts, but part of me thinks you could be spot on with your prediction of a Derry-Donegal final BE. After Monaghan I'd love to see either county lift the Anglo-Celt. It's about time the Armagh-Tyrone duopoly was broken and there's a big chance of that happening this year.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:04 pm

PRELIMINARY ROUND:
Fermanagh V Down
Down did well in the League, gaining promotion and racking up a fine scoring tally while they were at it. I’m always expecting them to go on a bit of a run and I was very disappointed with their tame exit to Wexford last year. Fermanagh look to be going backwards so in true Ulster Championship style, I expect them to win this one.

QUARTER FINALS:
Tyrone V Armagh
One of two cracking games to look forward to at this stage of the Ulster Championship (along with Derry and Monaghan). You could argue that Armagh are back at the start of a development cycle again but they are still a formidable team. Tyrone will win this one narrowly prompting the media and some of the less perceptive fans to write them off.

Derry V Monaghan
I think Monaghan will beat Derry here (and that Derry will go further in the championship than Monaghan). I’m a big admirer of this Monaghan team and while they have a physical and intense style I reckon they don’t get the credit for the nice football that they can and do play. Derry will struggle with inconsistency again and a trip through the qualifiers will help them build up a head of steam that will take them to the AI semi-finals.

Donegal V Antrim
I know in my heart that this will turn out to be a game like Donegal Roscommon last year. We should beat them easily enough but of course we will make tough work of it.

Cavan V Fermanagh
I’m with BE on this one. I see Cavan winning this game as they will go in with no pressure and little expectation.

SEMI FINALS
Tyrone V Monaghan
Tyrone don’t give a hoot about an Ulster title so Mickey Heart will have them just about ticking over for this game. If Monaghan are able to up it for the day they will win.

Donegal V Cavan
Donegal will win this one.

FINAL
Monaghan V Donegal
This will make a brilliant final IMO. An Ulster title would mean a lot to both groups of players and there would be a massive turn-out of support from both counties. Monaghan have the upper hand over us for the last few years but naturally I expect hope that we will win.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Provincial Championship Run-down Empty Connaught

Post  RMDrive Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:07 pm

London V Galway ---> Galway
New York V Mayo ---> Mayo
Roscommon V Leitrim ---> Leitrim

Galway V Sligo ---> Galway
Mayo V Leitrim ---> Mayo

Galway V Mayo (Surprise Surprise!!) ---> Mayo
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:09 pm

RMDrive wrote:London V Galway ---> Galway

Mayo V Leitrim ---> Mayo

I have to say that I agree with ya on that one RMD! Razz

Back to top Go down

Provincial Championship Run-down Empty Leinster

Post  RMDrive Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:12 pm

Kildare V Offaly --> Kildare
Carlow V Louth ---> Louth
Longford V Wicklow ---> Wicklow

Kildare V Wexford ---> Kildare
Louth V Laois ---> Laois
Wicklow V Westmeath ---> Westmeath
Meath V Dublin ---> Dublin

Kildare V Laois ---> Kildare
Westmeath V Dublin ---> Dublin

Kildare V Dublin ---> Kildare
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Provincial Championship Run-down Empty Munster

Post  RMDrive Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:14 pm

Tipperary V Limerick ---> Limerick
Waterford V Cork ---> Cork

Limerick V Clare ---> Limerick
Kerry V Cork ---> Kerry

Limerick V Kerry ---> Kerry
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:19 pm

RMDrive wrote:London V Galway ---> Galway

Mayo V Leitrim ---> Mayo

So right. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Éamonn Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:15 pm

RMDrive wrote:Tipperary V Limerick ---> Limerick
Waterford V Cork ---> Cork

Limerick V Clare ---> Limerick
Kerry V Cork ---> Kerry

Limerick V Kerry ---> Kerry

How can you say Limerick over Tipp?

Limerick are in disarray, Tipp have just been promoted to Division 2 Limerick relegated to Division 4 of the NFL.

Tipp V Cork Munster Final.

Éamonn
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:25 pm

RMD - I'm hurt that you think we'll come a cropper to Monaghan Crying or Very sad League final won't help us though so you could be right!!

Here's my look at the Connaught Championship.

London V Galway - London have picked up quite a few new players due to the economy, however they are coming up against one of the best sides in Ireland. Easy Galway win.

New York V Mayo - I have questions on wheather NY should be allowed to play in any Championship after the Ulster Hurling Final Debacle of a few years ago, no chance against Mayo unless Mayo go out on the p1ss before the game. Easy Mayo win.

Roscommon V Leitrim - Tricky one this, Ross can produce but Leitrim have one of the best coaches in Ireland in charge and i feel they'll sneak it. Leitrim by 3 points.

Semi-Finals

Galway V Sligo - Sligo debut in this years championship, but Galways opener will be no advantage to them. This will be a closer game than most people think but Galway are just too good. Galway win

Mayo V Leitrim - On paper Mayo should hammer Leitrim, but on the pitch it'll be a bigger struggle than they'll imagine and M&M will produce the shock of the championship. Leitrim 2 point win.

Galway V Leitrim - Galway will be overwhelming favourites for this game, and rightfully so. M&M inspiried Leitrim will give them their fill of it before surrendering to a more skilled Galway. Galway by 7 points.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next