GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK GAA Thread

+5
patsymc
Boxtyeater
The Puke
Parouisa
bald eagle
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

UK GAA Thread Empty UK GAA Thread

Post  bald eagle Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:35 am

A great move for the British Council to take, i knew about this for a while and finally it has hit print -

Sky is the limit for kids GAA festival

HUNDREDS of young GAA players from across the UK will descend on Greenford this summer for the first ever All-Britain Competitions.

The Irish Post can exclusively reveal that the games will take place over the weekend of July 20-22 at the north-west London venue, with approximately 100 teams from over 50 clubs throughout Britain set to participate. Football, hurling, girls football and camogie teams aged from U-8 to U-18 will be catered for, while six teams from mainland Europe will also make the trip.

The British Council of the GAA plan to host the ABCs annually. Between players, management, family, friends and supporters, the games are expected to attract in the region of 3,000 people to Greenford over the three days.

The ABCs are the brainchild of Brendie Brien, who is the incoming chairman of the British Council of the GAA, and former president John Gormley, who will serve as chairman of the ABC committee.

The idea came about having witnessed the success of the Continental Youth Championships in the USA, an annual weekend GAA tournament that has expanded significantly since its establishment in 2004, with over 100 teams competing in Boston last year.

“We’ve been taking a team to compete in America for the last seven or eight years and it was costing a lot of money just to bring one team out,” Brien explains. “We felt that we needed value for money in Britain and that setting up our own competition was the way forward.

“We started looking into the feasibility of it about two years ago to see would it be possible to run it, first of all, and secondly to discuss whether we could attract a crowd and make a success of it. But everyone has seemed to buy into it and there’s great enthusiasm there that this can be a good event.”

Staging games for over 100 teams on Greenford’s four pitches will be a logistical challenge for the ABC committee, who hope to bring on board around 50 volunteers to ensure the event runs smoothly.

Seven-a-side games will be played at U-8 level, nine-a-side for the U-10s, 11-a-side for U-12s, while U-14s, U-16s and U-18s will contest 13-a-side games. It’s hoped that reducing the numbers required to field a full team will allow clubs of all sizes to participate.

London senior footballer Mark Gottsche, who is the GAA’s Community Development Administrator for London, has been appointed secretary of the ABC committee and will carry a significant level of responsibility for the organisation of the games.

“There will be a massive amount of work involved but things like this have been successful in other places so there’s no reason we can’t do the same here,” says Gottche.

In his role as London’s CDA, Gottsche has been tasked with developing Gaelic games at underage level in the city’s schools and clubs. The Galway native says that preparing for the ABCs will provide young players with an incentive to improve and develop: “We want to try and have as many clubs as possible fielding teams because that’s what it’s all about for the kids – playing matches and enjoying it.

“The ABCs will allow kids to test their skills against other kids from all over Britain. It’ll also give clubs a good indication of where they stand. It’s a fantastic opportunity as well to show the important social role the GAA plays in Britain.”

Bernie Keane, the current president of the British Council of the GAA, has described the staging of the ABCs as “a very big challenge”, but he believes the weekend will be a success and that the GAA in Britain will benefit in the long-term.

Keane said: “The CDAs in each county have been working hard to bring us forward at underage level and this can be a showpiece for that.”

The cost of running the games is estimated to be in the region of £60,000. However, the funding that was previously used to take a team across the Atlantic for the CYCs – approximately £17,000 – will now be allocated to the budget of the ABCs.

Negotiations have already begun to bring sponsors on board and clubs will also be required to pay a fee of £50 per team entered. However, if a club wishes to enter more than four teams, they’ll only be charged for the first four so any subsequent entries will be free. There’s already been significant interest from clubs so the ABC committee are confident they’re not embarking on a loss-making venture.

GAA president Christy Cooney had offered the British Council the opportunity to host the prestigious Féile Peil na nÓg U-14 competition in the UK this year but the concept of the ABCs was felt to be a more manageable undertaking.

Brendan Brien hasn’t ruled out the possibility of bringing the Féile to Britain in the future but he admits there are plenty of obstacles: “It’s something we’d look at again but we’d have to get British clubs playing at a stronger level than they are at the present time.

“You’d need to have a lot of British clubs strong enough to enter to justify the expense it would put on the teams in Ireland. For now we’ll look to progress with the ABCs for a couple of years and then we’ll look at perhaps inviting over some teams from Ireland to take part in it.”

When asked what the primary objective of the ABC committee is for this summer’s event, chairman John Gormley said: “I think it would be to give the young players the chance to go on and continue their development. We want to keep giving them that opportunity because the intention is for this to be an annual thing. We’ve almost doubled our number of underage clubs over the last four or five years so this is something we feel we should be doing.”

It’s still early days from an organisational perspective but the first All-Britain Competitions event this July has all the ingredients to be an enormous success. Gormley added: “We want to make this a cultural weekend with Irish music and Irish dancing so it should be very enjoyable for everyone attending.

“It’s only a week before the Olympics as well so there should be great excitement and we feel it’s something to really look forward to.”

Taken from - Irish Post Online [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

UK GAA Thread Empty Re: UK GAA Thread

Post  bald eagle Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:56 am

There were over 130 people doing pre-season training at Wavertree in Liverpool yesterday, with the GAA pitch at the complex unplayable due to overuse!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A wonderful amount of people training in the weather they had there, however disappointing to see that the needs of the GAA in Liverpool are not being helped by either the Lancs county board or the GAA!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:46 pm

Derry All Star and All Ireland winner Kieran McKeever and former Derry Minor Selector Noel McFeely are part of a new management team at Thomas McCurtains London. McKeevers getting about a bit, he was managing a team in Manchester (i think) last year!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:26 am

Warwickshire Football League Results

Senior Football League

St. Barnabas 1.12 v. St. Mary's 2.06
Erin-go-Bragh 1.19 v. Roger Casements 0.12
Naomh Padraig 2.04 v. Sean McDermotts 4.10
Four Masters - v. John Mitchels - (To be played Wed. 28th)

Intermediate Football League

St. Josephs 4.06 v. St. Brendans 2.06
James Connollys 2.03 v. St. Chads 2.10
St.Finbarrs 2.06 v. Sons of Erin 1.06
O'Rahillys 2.03 v. Rugby Gaels 1.09

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:36 am

Rugby Gaels - I love it!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:06 pm

I played against Rugby in a challenge match a couple of weeks ago, sound lads but stone useless, think the final score was 9-27 to 0-01, they scored their solitary point in the first minute. Quigleys pub is Rugby is worth a visit, nearest thing to a proper irish pub I have found over here

Disappointed I had to sit out yesterdays game with a chest infection but will hopefully be fit and right for next week
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:28 pm

The Puke wrote:Disappointed I had to sit out yesterdays game with a chest infection but will hopefully be fit and right for next week

Get well soon Puke.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Rumour has it a Clare export scored 8-26 against Rugby Gaels in a challenge match recently.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:54 pm

bald eagle wrote:Rumour has it a Clare export scored 8-26 against Rugby Gaels in a challenge match recently.

No, but I held my man scoreless Very Happy
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:10 pm

Did your team win at the weekend Puke?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:41 pm

bald eagle wrote:Did your team win at the weekend Puke?

No my calming presence at the heart of the defence was sadly missing. We had the winnings of the match and with 10 to go it we had the momentum despite a terrible first half as we were the fitter side but they had a couple of wiley enough fellas who caused a couple of incidents of handbags which our lads took the bate to and it knocked us out of our stride. Good learning curve though, we aren't a million miles off, just need to get a bit cuter and sharper
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:27 pm

The Puke wrote:No my calming presence at the heart of the defence was sadly missing.

More like this I'd imagine.....UK GAA Thread Smiley82
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
The Puke wrote:No my calming presence at the heart of the defence was sadly missing.

Yes but I do it while keeping my mouth shut
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:50 am

The Puke wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote:

But do you really? I've heard of a Ryan McMenamin type character playing in Warks and would like to rule you out of my enquiries! Very Happy

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:15 am

bald eagle wrote:
The Puke wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote:

But do you really? I've heard of a Ryan McMenamin type character playing in Warks and would like to rule you out of my enquiries! Very Happy

I have no issues putting myself about but I don't really bother with the handbags stuff, it is one of the things that annoys me greatly about the GAA over here, far too much of it and most of it is for show or a complete lack of compsoure from lads, a half decent club side at home wouldn't tolerate it and I normally rise above it*

* By rise above it I mean wait til the next ball go through some lad for a short cut.
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:53 am

Thinly veiled "Look, I'm a loose mix of the Sylvie Linnane (mouthy) and the Frank Lohan (silent) type and utterly destructive"

Mossbags confirms, having seen The Puke in action, that he is a thug... Suspect
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:26 am

Boxtyeater wrote:Thinly veiled "Look, I'm a loose mix of the Sylvie Linnane (mouthy) and the Frank Lohan (silent) type and utterly destructive"

Mossbags confirms, having seen The Puke in action, that he is a thug... Suspect

Again i alluded to it in an earlier post, the technical term is "nous"
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  patsymc Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:15 pm

does anyone know of a gaa club in shropshire
patsymc
patsymc
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

london
Number of posts : 178

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:13 pm

Tis easy know I was back semi fit and in the team todayUK GAA Thread Clapping-smiley
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:26 am

Warkwickshire Football League Results (Not including reserve)

Senior League -

St. Barnabas 2.23 Roger Casements 0.02
Erin-go-Bragh 0.08 St. Marys 0.07
Naomh Padraig 3.14 Four Masters 2.03
Sean McDermotts 1.07 John Mitchels 0.06

Intermediate League -

St. Josephs 3.11 Rugby Gaels 0.07
St. Brendans Void James Connollys Void
St. Finbarrs 1.17 St. Chads 3.07
Sons of Erin 5.11 O’Rahillys 1.01

Pukes team having a big at the weekend!

Any reason why the Brendans/Connollys game was void Puke? Am i correc in thinking that this is Connollys first season playing in the Intermediate league and that this is the fruition of a youth system?

Will have a trawl for other UK counties results and post accordingly.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:32 am

Says on the website that the CCC is investiaging so presume there may have been a skermish.

Where in Warwichshire are Connolly's based out of?. hope you don't think that I play for Sons of Erin Rolling Eyes
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:39 am

The Puke wrote:Says on the website that the CCC is investiaging so presume there may have been a skermish.

Where in Warwichshire are Connolly's based out of?. hope you don't think that I play for Sons of Erin Rolling Eyes

Na i don't, Senior league player at the very least!!

Not sure but i think they are a Birmingham outfit, St Joes are new too but i'm certain they are a Derby based side.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:47 am

Underage numbers are fairly strong in Warwichshire from what I heard, I know that we have decent numbers up to under 16s but find it hard to keep lads after that. We have 3 lads in the starting team who are 17/18 and are very good footballers for their age, talks of setting up a reserve team to try and keep the young lads interested after they are finished the underage but not yet up to senior level yet.
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:48 pm

The underage setup in Warks is a lot better than other parts (except London likely) as they have a plan and competitions after U14 and Feile. A big problem that the other counties have in the UK is that they hinge pretty much all development on the Feile, after that they simply lose them rather than promote their own competitions.

Hopefully this new All Britain Championships will be the thing that helps the promotion of "smaller" counties although there is the Feile International that is a great tournament however you find that teams won't travel to Birmingham from London and vice versa depending on who is the host.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

UK GAA Thread Empty Hertfordshire Senior League Results

Post  bald eagle Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:06 pm

Hertfordshire Senior League Results Week 1

From the weekend of 24th March

St Vincents W/o Cambridge Parnells DNF
St Colmcilles 0-14 St Josephs 0-02