GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Film You Saw Thread

+2
RMDrive
SamiPremier08
6 posters

Go down

The Last Film You Saw Thread Empty The Last Film You Saw Thread

Post  SamiPremier08 Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Pretty simple...what was that last film you saw? Might have been on telly, DVD or at the cinema...was it a masterpiece of cinema? Or a complete waste of your time?

The last film I watched start to finish was the 1993 classic The Secret Garden on Sunday afternoon. Just channel-hopping and I caught the start and thought I'd watch it for old time's sake (saw it quite a lot when I was younger). It's actually an extremely good film - excellent performance from Maggie Smith as Mrs Medlock and there are plenty of themes within the storyline that make it much more than the children's tale it's perceived to be (the original book was actually written for adults). The bleak Yorkshire scenery was also enjoyable!

SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

The Last Film You Saw Thread Empty Re: The Last Film You Saw Thread

Post  RMDrive Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:11 pm

True Grit - the remake with Jeff Bridges, directed by the Coen brothers.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:34 pm

The Guard at the cinema. Was funny but nothing spectacular.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:38 pm

I'm couch bound at the moment so I was in total control of the remote and I saw Space Jam starring Michael Jordan was on and I watched it yesterday. Was one of my favourite movie as a child so it brought back some nice memories.

Last movie I saw in the cinema was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: part II. Was brilliant, so I saw it twice in 3D.

Last edited by Royal_Girl2k9 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath
Number of posts : 1144

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:41 pm

Royal_Girl2k9 wrote:I'm couch bound at the moment so I was in total control of the remote and I saw Space Jam starring Michael Jordan was on and I watched it yesterday. Was one of my favourite movie as a child so it brought back some nice movie.

Last movie I saw in the cinema was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: part II. Was brilliant, so I saw it twice in 3D.

when did films become movies this side of the atlantic, who decided on the change?

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:44 pm

dhorse wrote:
Royal_Girl2k9 wrote:I'm couch bound at the moment so I was in total control of the remote and I saw Space Jam starring Michael Jordan was on and I watched it yesterday. Was one of my favourite movie as a child so it brought back some nice movie.

when did films become movies this side of the atlantic, who decided on the change?

Couldn't tell ya to be honest. I'd use both, just happened to use "movie" twice in this post (thrice really but one of them was meant to be memories not movies).
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:24 pm

Didn't think the latest Harry Potter was anything spectacular - just rounded things up in a fairly standard, expected way.

Also thought the film makers hugely embarrassed themselves with the way the main characters were 'aged' nineteen years at the end.

Give Harry stubble.
Give Hermione a posh coat.
Make Ginny look like a prostitute.
Stick a pillow up Ron's jumper and make him look fat.

We were rolling around with laughter at the back of cinema - amateur dramatics company could have done better! Laughing
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:28 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:Didn't think the latest Harry Potter was anything spectacular - just rounded things up in a fairly standard, expected way.

Also thought the film makers hugely embarrassed themselves with the way the main characters were 'aged' nineteen years at the end.

Give Harry stubble.

We were rolling around with laughter at the back of cinema - amateur dramatics company could have done better! Laughing

Well it was a long way off the excellence of the book, but I don't think it would really have been possible for them to achieve that level of brilliance in the film.

Everyone who'd read the books knew what would be coming for that last bit of the movie when they were aged and I don't think many people had high hopes for it. How exactly do you make someone look older apart from making them fat with wrinkles and posh coats?
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Royal_Girl2k9 wrote:
SamiPremier08 wrote:Didn't think the latest Harry Potter was anything spectacular - just rounded things up in a fairly standard, expected way.

Give Harry stubble.

Well it was a long way off the excellence of the book, but I don't think it would really have been possible for them to achieve that level of brilliance in the film.

Everyone who'd read the books knew what would be coming for that last bit of the movie when they were aged and I don't think many people had high hopes for it. How exactly do you make someone look older apart from making them fat with wrinkles and posh coats?

There must be CGI/computer effects possible but I suppose it just looked so bad/pathetic/funny in contrast to the incredibly special effects which the rest of the film was full of.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:48 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:
Royal_Girl2k9 wrote:

Give Harry stubble.

There must be CGI/computer effects possible but I suppose it just looked so bad/pathetic/funny in contrast to the incredibly special effects which the rest of the film was full of.

CGI or whatever may have worked better but sure it's done now, and I don't think it really takes away from the film that much. It was only really put it at the end of the book to tell you what happened to everyone.
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:11 pm

Saw Super 8 in the cinema on sunday. First two acts were excellent, but the third let it down badly.

Flicked onto The Blind Side this evening for a while. Saw it on dvd a few weeks ago. Brilliant film, made better by being a true story.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:57 am

Watched a film with Michael Caine in it called Harry Brown about a ex british marine who goes about tackling thugs in london who kill his pensioner friend, pretty good show actually.

Whated a bit of the patriot games yesterday too, use to love it when i was younger but a bit cheesey now looking back.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:16 am

'Knowing' with Nicholas Cage. Gripping up until the last 30 minutes or so when it turns ludicrous and the ending is absolutely awful.

3/10
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down