GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Connolly red card

+17
mossbags
Royal_Girl2k9
samin12
3inarow08
Thomas Clarke
Real Kerry Fan
The Puke
Grenvile
mullins
hurlingguru
Jayo Cluxton
bluearmy1
Boxtyeater
hipster 2
Loyal2TheRoyal
black&white
whiterbananas
21 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Connolly red card - Page 2 Empty Re: Connolly red card

Post  mullins Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:23 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:As i only saw the first 20 mins of the match I did not see the Connolly incident. Watched on youtube and I must it was definitely a red card. Would have to be colourblind if a person could not see it. Embarassed

Don't think anybody is disputing that,but have a look at the sunday game on RTEiplayer at 41 mins,Connolly was attacked by Donegal players not 1 of them was spoken to by the referee....He made a mistake suppose he has to live with that.....
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:31 pm

mullins wrote:
Real Kerry Fan wrote:As i only saw the first 20 mins of the match I did not see the Connolly incident. Watched on youtube and I must it was definitely a red card. Would have to be colourblind if a person could not see it. Embarassed

Don't think anybody is disputing that,but have a look at the sunday game on RTEiplayer at 41 mins,Connolly was attacked by Donegal players not 1 of them was spoken to by the referee....He made a mistake suppose he has to live with that.....

Humour is evidently wasted on Mullins...
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:41 pm

the card will be recended and the culchies and nordies can have a good old gripe so everyone is happy
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:47 pm

hipster 2 wrote:the card will be recended and the culchies and nordies can have a good old gripe so everyone is happy

What is it with you people and paranoia? You, Jayo, Mullins - you are all convinced that everyone hates you. The posts from all of you over the last 2 days have been 'us against the world', when the world isn't actually fighting you. Jesus lads, get over yourselves, and your ridiculous sense of importance. Outside of Dublin and, possibly, Kerry, no-one really cares if the decision is overturned or not.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:57 pm

get the gripes in lads its holiday season for us in dublin now
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:09 pm

mullins wrote:

He was in his eye attacked, he was hit a shoulder which happens several times in every game. He could have just walked away but reacted like an idiot and got deservedly sent off. If Connolly doesn't strike the Donegal corner back after shoulder then the rest of the incident doesn't happen

Again I will ask you to stop with the exaggerations and hyperbole.
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:10 pm

its great to be so loved
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  BB Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:58 pm

I would like to add to this debate on Connolly.Rules that protect cheats need to be looked at. No self respecting ref would give a red card for that. That linesman should not get a game again at this level. For too long bad refs and linesmen are given a carte blanche by Croke Park for bad decisions. Players get dropped for the same reason. Thats the farce.

A Dublin player stood up for himself in the face of severe provocation. For the last 10 years we've shied away from it. He has my full support and in my view he should have the same support from any self respecting Dublin fan.

Kerry and Kilkenny have not won multiple All-Irelands by being nice. Anyone who played on Jackie Tyrell or Paul Galvin will tell you the same.

Its 31 v 1 out there. And we've finally got the siege mentality back. Long may it continue.

BB

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:35 pm

BB wrote:I would like to add to this debate on Connolly.Rules that protect cheats need to be looked at. No self respecting ref would give a red card for that. That linesman should not get a game again at this level. For too long bad refs and linesmen are given a carte blanche by Croke Park for bad decisions. Players get dropped for the same reason. Thats the farce.

A Dublin player stood up for himself in the face of severe provocation. For the last 10 years we've shied away from it. He has my full support and in my view he should have the same support from any self respecting Dublin fan.

Kerry and Kilkenny have not won multiple All-Irelands by being nice. Anyone who played on Jackie Tyrell or Paul Galvin will tell you the same.

Its 31 v 1 out there. And we've finally got the siege mentality back. Long may it continue.
yes bb after the doom years of carr and lyons 2 country gents i might add , pillar got us back on the right track and giller has taken us a little further along
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:43 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
What is it with you people and paranoia? You, Jayo, Mullins - you are all convinced that everyone hates you

Ahem........
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:44 am

hipster 2 wrote:the card will be recended and the culchies and nordies can have a good old gripe so everyone is happy

Wouldnt hold my breath on that one hipster. Not a hope of it being rescinded
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:30 am

mullins wrote:

Don't think anybody is disputing that,but have a look at the sunday game on RTEiplayer at 41 mins,Connolly was attacked by Donegal players not 1 of them was spoken to by the referee....He made a mistake suppose he has
to live with that.....
Sorry Mullins I was only answering a question re what colour was the card! Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:38 am

Real Kerry Fan wrote:
mullins wrote:

Don't think anybody is disputing that,but have a look at the sunday game on RTEiplayer at 41 mins,Connolly was attacked by Donegal players not 1 of them was spoken to by the referee....He made a mistake suppose he has
to live with that.....
Sorry Mullins I was only answering a question re what colour was the card! Very Happy

Sorry RKF my head has being dizzy since sunday,didn't read your post properly,haven't played football in September in a long time...Tell the missus To put out the Dublin bunting have to make the city look good Very Happy
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:46 am

mullins wrote:
Real Kerry Fan wrote:
mullins wrote:

to live with that.....

Sorry RKF my head has being dizzy since sunday,didn't read your post properly,haven't played football in September in a long time...Tell the missus To put out the Dublin bunting have to make the city look good Very Happy

No prob Mullins. Sorry household to live in at present Sad . Questions already being asked re how many boggers are invading the tent. affraid I will just have to keep the head down until 19th September when I will be able to unleash an almighty roar of 'Up the Kingdom,no 37' Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:13 am

Will Connolly win his appeal Question
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:13 am

Will Connolly win his appeal Question
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:28 am

mullins wrote:Will Connolly win his appeal Question

doubt it, hasn't a leg to stand on. If overturned then it sets a dangerous precident. If Brian Farrell's wasn't recinded that Connolly has no chance
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:41 am

The Puke wrote:

doubt it, hasn't a leg to stand on. If overturned then it sets a dangerous precident. If Brian Farrell's wasn't recinded that Connolly has no chance

I think he has 2 legs to stand on.....
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:42 am

mullins wrote:
The Puke wrote:

yet another excellent contribution Rolling Eyes
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:46 am

The Puke wrote:
mullins wrote:
The Puke wrote:

yet another excellent contribution Rolling Eyes

Thank you i must be getting better compliments from puke Surprised can't wait to see dermo in the final,its a done deal ...
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:52 am

IF, and that was deliberately a big IF, the red card is over-turned, do people still expect Connelly to start the final? Would the Dubs start him?

He was about to be hauled off before he was sent off, which would have made that 3 games out of 4 he was substititued in. As outstanding as he was against Tyrone, he was awful against Donegal. He looked completely lost and frustrated, and I'd have doubts as to whether or not he would be mentally strong enough for an experienced Kerry defence.

O'Gara may not be an appealing alternative, but maybe more suitable in a horses-for-courses sort of way.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Connolly red card - Page 2 Empty Puke

Post  mullins Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:56 am

The relevant section from the 2011 Official Guide reads:

1.2 DUTIES OF THE REFEREE
(x)
(c) To order off a player who commits an ordering off foul/infraction by taking his name (if not already taken) and showing him a red card.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - Page 19

Deegan definitely did not take his name - I checked the recording again last night. He may claim otherwise but the video evidence won't support that. Looks like he made an absolute howler.
Looks like its out there now might as well post it here..
The argument here is that by the letter of the rule, Connolly wasn't actually sent off on Sunday and is therefore not due any suspension. History shows that in GAA disciplinary matters, procedure takes precedence over all other factors, even fairness. We already benefitted from this once this year when the charges against Philly McMahon and Kevin Sheils for throwing digs in the tunnel in the League Final were dropped because they'd been charged under the wrong rule - 'disruptive behaviour' which seemingly doesn't cover anything that happens at half time. So despite the CCCC having video evidence showing the pair of them going at it hammer and tongs (Philly won by a unanimous decision by the way), instead of charging them under the correct rule they themselves threw out the charge, apparently without Philly having to even open his mouth. That the world and its mother knew the two players had struck each other repeatedly was irrelevant, the fact that correct procedure hadn't been followed was all that mattered.

In the crazy world of GAA administration, this is Dermo's strongest card and one I feel is very likely to see him available to play.
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:59 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:IF, and that was deliberately a big IF, the red card is over-turned, do people still expect Connelly to start the final? Would the Dubs start him?

He was about to be hauled off before he was sent off, which would have made that 3 games out of 4 he was substititued in. As outstanding as he was against Tyrone, he was awful against Donegal. He looked completely lost and frustrated, and I'd have doubts as to whether or not he would be mentally strong enough for an experienced Kerry defence.

O'Gara may not be an appealing alternative, but maybe more suitable in a horses-for-courses sort of way.

Surely McMenamin did his chances of starting no harm last Sunday. He is a limited enough footballer but has his uses, far more direct than O'Gara
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:04 pm

The Puke wrote:
Surely McMenamin did his chances of starting no harm last Sunday. He is a limited enough footballer but has his uses, far more direct than O'Gara

All true, although O'Gara offers more defensively, certainly based on his display against Tyrone last year. Not normally a criteria for picking a corner forward, but I think that Gilroy will be cautious early on. McMenamin is very hit and miss although, as you say, he may have done enough to get his shot.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:09 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:IF, and that was deliberately a big IF, the red card is over-turned, do people still expect Connelly to start the final? Would the Dubs start him?

I don't know it could be horses for courses, Dublin players should not be judged on Sundays performance....It was near impossible to play any type of football,until the game opened up

Kerry will know how to niggle Dermo but he just has to get on with it hopefully after sunday he has learned a little more about himself- he had a good year so far it would be hard to see him dropped for the final...I don't expect the final to be free flowing- Kerry won't want the game to open up if it does it would suit Dublin

Flynn could be the biggest loss to Dublin its not looking good for him....
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next