GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Connolly red card

+17
mossbags
Royal_Girl2k9
samin12
3inarow08
Thomas Clarke
Real Kerry Fan
The Puke
Grenvile
mullins
hurlingguru
Jayo Cluxton
bluearmy1
Boxtyeater
hipster 2
Loyal2TheRoyal
black&white
whiterbananas
21 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Connolly red card Empty Connolly red card

Post  whiterbananas Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:56 pm

As clear a sending off as you're ever likely to see. Couldn't believe the rte boys' reaction to it. Not a hope of it being rescinded
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Connolly red card Empty Re: Connolly red card

Post  black&white Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:13 pm

The only thing the referee did wrong was not sending off the Donegal lad who started the incident by charging into Connolly. Play was well stopped at that stage, and he should have walked for the shoulder into the chest.

Red for Connolly was only option, no matter how much or how little force was behind it, two closed fist strikes to the throat is an automatic red card.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:17 pm

It's harsh on Connolly. Happens all the time but by the letter of the law, it's a sending off. Brian Farrell knows all about that!

However, Connolly is good sportsperson. He tried hard and dosen't strike me as a player who has too many bad strokes in him. It won't be just if he misses the final. Tough one for the GAA - I think some leeway is allowable in this particular situation.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:29 pm

makes no difference whatsoever what type of player or person he is. He struck out three times. Clear red card, no leeway
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:32 pm

super super dubs
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:37 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:It's harsh on Connolly. Happens all the time but by the letter of the law, it's a sending off. Brian Farrell knows all about that!

However, Connolly is good sportsperson. He tried hard and dosen't strike me as a player who has too many bad strokes in him. It won't be just if he misses the final. Tough one for the GAA - I think some leeway is allowable in this particular situation.

Bit of handbags stuff, doubtless an appeal will be mounted but hard to see the card being rescinded given the quality of the evidence on tape.
The Donegal lad, Boyle, deserved it more, thundering in and then collapsing like a cock of hay in a hurricane.... Embarassed
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:It's harsh on Connolly. Happens all the time but by the letter of the law, it's a sending off. Brian Farrell knows all about that!

Bit of handbags stuff, doubtless an appeal will be mounted but hard to see the card being rescinded given the quality of the evidence on tape.
The Donegal lad, Boyle, deserved it more, thundering in and then collapsing like a cock of hay in a hurricane.... Embarassed

It's tough for the GAA - had they shown some leadership and consistency up until now, we might be better able to predict what will happen. On one hand you have Philly McMahon who got off after throwing a dozen punches in the League final, and on the other, you have Brian Farrell who harmlessly swipped at a Kildare player and got four weeks. No matter what happens, the CCCC or whoever will be criticised. Personally speaking, I do not think a player should miss the All-Ireland Final for what Connolly did, but then that kind of emotion isn't in the rulebook.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:12 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote: Personally speaking, I do not think a player should miss the All-Ireland Final for what Connolly did, but then that kind of emotion isn't in the rulebook.

Here here....
But there's a precedence here that CC will adhere to, going back to Brian O@Meara of Tipp about 10 years ago. An innocuous incident, yet the upheld the ref's decision.
Likely to be hard luck on Connolly, but conversely could see the hard-running McManamon make the starting 15 and pose a greater threat than Connolly could have against Kerry's ageing backs. O'Gara is another option.. affraid
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:51 pm

I sort of wanted Dublin to win this game but after watching Boyle fall to the ground holding his face I actually allowed myself to say 'Cmon the Dubs' for the first time in my life. There was more honesty in Connolly dishing out what was more or less a forceful push than Boyle, a Gaelic footballer, do the Rivaldo. If the video evidence against Connolly is strong, then equally strong is the evidence for the CCCC to see that Boyle play-acted in the hope of getting Connolly sent off and therefore brought the game into disrepute.

Thankfully karma kicked in and Dublin pushed on strongly from the sending off.
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down
Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:01 am

The incident was over when a Donegal guy came charging in with arms raised when it was nothing to do with him. Connolly reacted - unfortunately - and then Boyle came charging in and did his Aidan O'Mahony impression. So two Donegal players acting dishonourably .... par for the course for them today.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:27 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:The incident was over when a Donegal guy came charging in with arms raised when it was nothing to do with him. Connolly reacted - unfortunately - and then Boyle came charging in and did his Aidan O'Mahony impression. So two Donegal players acting dishonourably .... par for the course for them today.

Absolute BS Jayo. Even for you, that is some spin to put on it. Watch it again, 3 times he struck out with his fist. That's against the rules and i am sorry but the dubs are bound by the same rules as the rest of us unfortunately. As it happened, i said, if the ref or linesman has seen that it's a straight red. Had to be
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  hurlingguru Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:49 am

Diarmuid Connolly will definitely miss Dublin's All-Ireland SFC final showdown with Kerry next month as he is unable to appeal the red card issued to him by Maurice Deegan in yesterday's win over Donegal.

Under the rules adopted by the GAA at this year's Congress, the attacker has no avenue for appeal as the matter was dealt with on the pitch. The Competitions Control Committee cannot retrospectively deal with an incident once the referee has made the decision. Previously Deegan could have been asked to review his decision but that is no longer an option.

If the Laois official cites Connolly for striking then he will be hit with a minimum four week suspension which would rule him out of the final on September 18.

The St Vincent's ace had just won a free in the 58th minute when he clashed with Donegal's Marty Boyle which led to his dismissal.

hurlingguru
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Carlow
Number of posts : 1133

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:09 am

hurlingguru wrote:Diarmuid Connolly will definitely miss Dublin's All-Ireland SFC final showdown with Kerry next month as he is unable to appeal the red card issued to him by Maurice Deegan in yesterday's win over Donegal.

Under the rules adopted by the GAA at this year's Congress, the attacker has no avenue for appeal as the matter was dealt with on the pitch. The Competitions Control Committee cannot retrospectively deal with an incident once the referee has made the decision. Previously Deegan could have been asked to review his decision but that is no longer an option.

If the Laois official cites Connolly for striking then he will be hit with a minimum four week suspension which would rule him out of the final on September 18.

The St Vincent's ace had just won a free in the 58th minute when he clashed with Donegal's Marty Boyle which led to his dismissal.

Where did you get that story Donegal's Michael Murphy and Monaghan's Dick Clerkin had their red cards rescinded in this years championship
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:47 am

whiterbananas wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:The incident was over when a Donegal guy came charging in with arms raised when it was nothing to do with him. Connolly reacted - unfortunately - and then Boyle came charging in and did his Aidan O'Mahony impression. So two Donegal players acting dishonourably .... par for the course for them today.

Absolute BS Jayo. Even for you, that is some spin to put on it. Watch it again, 3 times he struck out with his fist. That's against the rules and i am sorry but the dubs are bound by the same rules as the rest of us unfortunately. As it happened, i said, if the ref or linesman has seen that it's a straight red. Had to be

He won a free and was hounded. He threw the ball for the free to be taken and then a Donegal player charged into him. He reacted - as anyone would - and then Boyle came charging in with the Oscar performance. If there was one red card there should have been two. He pushed - stupidly and high - but to say he struck out with his fists is a joke. So its a red - so be it - wrong in my opinion and the lad will miss the final over it. Could become the cause celebre for the Dublin team hopefully.

If the rest of 'ye' we bound by the same rules btw there would've been two reds ... so clearly 'ye' are not.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:01 am

I don't get this whole "he pushed his hands into his face" argument, as if it's a defence? At this level every player should know that if you go near an opponents face with your hands in any manner you're asking for trouble. The theatrics are just another horrible element of Donegal's "win at all costs" mentality (Damien O'Reilly guilty of the same thing getting Murphy sent off v Cavan I know) but don't excuse Connolly's actions. I think it would be a real shame if he were to miss the final and I do feel sorry for him, but he should have known better.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:08 am

I have good information that this card will be rescinded..............Don't worry to much about it JC

See loyal you need to open your eyes...

Last edited by mullins on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:22 am

Jonsmith wrote:I don't get this whole "he pushed his hands into his face" argument, as if it's a defence? At this level every player should know that if you go near an opponents face with your hands in any manner you're asking for trouble. The theatrics are just another horrible element of Donegal's "win at all costs" mentality (Damien O'Reilly guilty of the same thing getting Murphy sent off v Cavan I know) but don't excuse Connolly's actions. I think it would be a real shame if he were to miss the final and I do feel sorry for him, but he should have known better.

It is all about intent, whether it was a close fist or an open hand doesn't come into it the intent was to strike the opponent in the face. the fact that he attempted it three times left the linesman no choice. I would have a bit of sympathy given the play acting from Boyle but it doesn't make a difference it was still a sending off offence in the laws of the game. It was the right call, although boyle should also have received at least a yellow
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:00 am

The Puke wrote:
Jonsmith wrote:I don't get this whole "he pushed his hands into his face" argument, as if it's a defence? At this level every player should know that if you go near an opponents face with your hands in any manner you're asking for trouble. The theatrics are just another horrible element of Donegal's "win at all costs" mentality (Damien O'Reilly guilty of the same thing getting Murphy sent off v Cavan I know) but don't excuse Connolly's actions. I think it would be a real shame if he were to miss the final and I do feel sorry for him, but he should have known better.

It is all about intent, whether it was a close fist or an open hand doesn't come into it the intent was to strike the opponent in the face. the fact that he attempted it three times left the linesman no choice. I would have a bit of sympathy given the play acting from Boyle but it doesn't make a difference it was still a sending off offence in the laws of the game. It was the right call, although boyle should also have received at least a yellow

If the Ref was doing is job right,more than Connolly should have walked...
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:10 am

mullins wrote:
The Puke wrote:

Possibly but that still doesn't take away from the fact that Connolly deserved his red
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:15 am

The Puke wrote:
mullins wrote:
The Puke wrote:

Possibly but that still doesn't take away from the fact that Connolly deserved his red

I never said he didn't deserve it if you raise your hands your playing with fire,at least another 2 Donegal players attacked the Dublin player
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:17 am

mullins wrote:
The Puke wrote:
mullins wrote:
The Puke wrote:

I never said he didn't deserve it if you raise your hands your playing with fire,at least another 2 Donegal players attacked the Dublin player

again please refrain from hyperbole/exaggeration when debating
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:20 am

The Puke wrote:
mullins wrote:
The Puke wrote:
mullins wrote:
The Puke wrote:

Puke did you watch the incident .........
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:27 am

mullins wrote:
The Puke wrote:
mullins wrote:
The Puke wrote:
mullins wrote:
The Puke wrote:

Puke did you watch the incident .........

Yes it was a bit of handbags, the Donegal player hit Connolly a shoulder to which Connolly reacted, firstly pushing him with both hand and then making contact twice with two punch - admittedly they were fairly weak and the donegal man made a meal of it but the intent was there, to which the Donegal midfielder ran in and pushed Connolly with both hands as opposed to throwing a punch, as I said he deserved a yellow for it. Connolly wasn't attacked he was hit a shoulder initially which he reacted it was far from assault. Given that Rory hickey hasn't the benefit of watching the incident numerous times over and over again like us I thought they got the call right, he had to go.
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:52 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:

He pushed - stupidly and high - but to say he struck out with his fists is a joke. So its a red - so be it - wrong in my opinion and the lad will miss the final over it

The first punch caught the donegal lad bang on the chin, the second one on the shoulder and by the time the third strike connected, again with the chin, the donegal player's knees had gone and he was already on his way to the canvas. There is no room for this on a football field

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:54 pm

As i only saw the first 20 mins of the match I did not see the Connolly incident. Watched on youtube and I must it was definitely a red card. Would have to be colourblind if a person could not see it. Embarassed
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next