GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kerry GT News

+18
bocerty
mugsys_barber
Parouisa
GAA-Fan
hipster 2
RMDrive
ollie
Podger
OMAR
The Puke
3inarow08
Jayo Cluxton
Thomas Clarke
Loyal2TheRoyal
long.dub.glic
Boxtyeater
mullins
Real Kerry Fan
22 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Kerry GT News - Page 4 Empty Re: Kerry GT News

Post  Real Kerry Fan Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Paul Galvin reported to be fighting with a well known RTE TV personality last night. Another headline to add to the growing list.

Indo again. Well known personality I dont think. Uncorfirmed sources, an 'eyewitness' etc. usual rubbish. Evil or Very Mad
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Podger Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Bit of eye goughing I heard
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare
Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Podger wrote:Bit of eye goughing I heard

Heard wrong podge. Mad
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:05 am

Real Kerry Fan wrote:
Kerry fear for their future
By Fintan O’Toole and Terry Reilly

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

KERRY’S domination of gaelic football in this country could be brought to a shuddering halt not by Dublin, Cork or Tyrone, but by the rapid depopulation of huge rural swathes of the county, a worrying new report has warned.

The worsening trend of rural depopulation in Kerry is having considerable consequences already, GAA officials in the county have been told. A sub-committee established by the Kerry County Board to investigate the problem has revealed that 23 of the 76 clubs in the county have less than an average of eight boys per class in their local primary schools.

Eight of the 23 clubs have less than an average of 5 boys per class — with six of these clubs being in the South Kerry area, home to such Kingdom legends as Mick O’Connell, Jack O’Shea, Maurice Fitzgerald, Declan O’Sullivan and current Kerry coach Jack O’Connor. It is forecast that each of these 23 clubs will have to amalgamate with other clubs to field underage teams over the coming years.

There are also concerns over a worrying trend at minor level with less than four out of 10 (37%) clubs in the county able to field 15-a-side football teams this year. That compares to 69% of clubs fielding 15-a-side football teams in 1998.

Joseph McCrohan, who chaired the committee that examined rural depopulation in Kerry, insists that measures must be taken now to tackle the problem before it has an adverse effect on the fortunes of the county’s senior sides in recent years.

"We were asked by the Kerry County Board to look at this issue which has become more significant in the county in recent years. There is a definite problem there for small rural clubs in Kerry and this needs to be addressed. The number of young players coming through to senior teams is narrowing the whole time. The key reason for that is the lack of jobs out there and the emigration that is ensuing as a result of that.

"We have asked that job creation in rural parts of the county now become a priority for the county committee. For instance we’re suggesting that the county board, district boards and every club encourage GAA members to become members in local development organisations.

"If the situation worsens, it could have serious consequences for the Kerry senior teams down the line. If you look at Kerry All-Ireland winning teams, it has been a common occurrence for some of the county’s best footballers to have come from small rural clubs, in areas in the south and north of the county for instance. But there is the prospect that will stop happening as these clubs won’t have the players to supply to county teams. The Kerry county teams would then largely be drawn from the urban areas in the county."

Kerry GAA chiefs are set to now study the report and the findings of the sub-committee with the intention of implementing its recommendations in 2012.

The report comes amid revelations that the drain of GAA players requesting transfers to clubs in Australia is reaching record highs with almost 900 transfer applications submitted to the organisation in the first nine months of this year.

Counties losing the most footballers and hurlers include Cork (86 players), Tyrone (57 players), Tipperary (55 players), Limerick (54 players) and All Ireland football champions Dublin (49 players).

Even though the moves are a blow to rural GAA clubs struggling to make up the numbers on local teams, the fresh blood in Australia is being wholeheartedly welcomed.

Senior member of the Sydney Shamrocks Hurling Club, Mark Tobin, says its always good to see new people joining.

"This year we had about 60 members registered and we’ll be hoping to get that again when the season starts in January/February," he told the Irish Echo.

While he hasn’t noticed a dramatic increase in new players, he does say that more and more players are remaining in the club.

"It used to be just backpackers for one season, but now you’d have lads who’ve been sponsored coming back every year…that’s a good way to build up a team and get it to the standard you’d need for Championship competition."

As a result of the high number of players now permanently resident down under, it is felt by some that the GAA should now consider including an Australian team in All-Ireland Senior Championships. The changes could see a team from one of the main clubs in Sydney or Perth compete in a provincial first round qualifier, in a manner similar to the New York and London teams.

However, GAA Communications Officer Alan Milton says that while the possibility of including an Australian team may have been thought about informally, it is not something the organisation is actively pursuing.

"For practical reasons I don’t believe it is something that could or will come to pass," Mr Milton says. "In terms of geography, finance and general logistics, there is no comparing a scenario whereby a representative team from Australasia would compete the way New York and London do."

This appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Strange that the only comments posted in reply were re Paul Galvin in pub etc.
This article is very relevant comment on the GAA's future especially in rural areas. I despair. Oh Patrique , Jayo or Triona I miss ye. Sad

Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:35 am

excuses
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:29 am

hipster 2 wrote:excuses
Rolling Eyes
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:54 am

Real Kerry Fan wrote:
Real Kerry Fan wrote:

This article is very relevant comment on the GAA's future especially in rural areas. I despair. Oh Patrique , Jayo or Triona I miss ye. Sad

I can only imagine the outrage Jayo is feeling right now having seen the 2011 Hurling AllStar team.

It's such a pity he's not here so we can all witness it.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:04 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
Real Kerry Fan wrote:
Real Kerry Fan wrote:

I can only imagine the outrage Jayo is feeling right now having seen the 2011 Hurling AllStar team.

It's such a pity he's not here so we can all witness it.

You think this is bad ror the Dubs wait until the Football team is announced. Weeping and gnashing of teeth I forecast Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:34 am

I read the article RKF, but didn't reply as I thought it was a bit of a non-story.

It laments the population drop in rural Kerry, but doesn't say that this is any different from the rest of the country. In fact, it says that the biggest losses of players are coming from Cork, Tyrone, Tipp, Limerick & Dublin. It also says that Kerry sides will be drawn from urban areas in the county, presumably where most of the population has moved to anyway. Same lads, same county, just playing for a different club.

Obviously some rural clubs will have to amalgamate, but even despite this I think that the Kerry championship system is well placed to cope with small clubs. The regional sides (Mid-Kerry/South Kerry etc) have always been a brilliant idea, and ensure that lads from small clubs will always get the chance to play against the best footballers in the county. This is not true for small clubs in most other counties. In Tyrone, a fine prospect in division 2 or 3 will only ever play against lads at that level - how is he supposed to improve or be noticed? Kerry already have the system in place to cope.

So,a mildly interesting article, but not exactly unique to Kerry, and it certainly won't be fatal to the future prospects. Kerry won't be winning 36 in the next hundred years, but they'll still win plenty.

Last edited by Thomas Clarke on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Podger Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:56 am

Real Kerry Fan wrote:

Heard wrong podge. Mad

Very good sourse lad. Finger pointing and eye contact very much what happened.
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:55 am

Podger wrote:
Real Kerry Fan wrote:

Heard wrong podge. Mad

Well LAD I have spoken to an eyewitness. A push was about as much as the little radio whinger got.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks TC for your comment on the article. Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Podger Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:43 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:
Podger wrote:
Real Kerry Fan wrote:

Heard wrong podge. Mad

Well LAD I have spoken to an eyewitness. A push was about as much as the little radio whinger got.

I think the citing comissioner may have to rule on this
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:35 pm

Well THE County Final is on Sunday. I expect Mid Kerry to sneak it. Donncha Walsh playing well at centre half back plus the O'Sullivans flying. Any comments out there Kerry posters? Sad
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:50 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:Well THE County Final is on Sunday. I expect Mid Kerry to sneak it. Donncha Walsh playing well at centre half back plus the O'Sullivans flying. Any comments out there Kerry posters? Sad

No but could you explain to us how the championship is structured in Kerry?

Last weekend Aidan O'Mahonys club won the "Kerry SFC". However the "Kerry SFC" takes place again this weekend, and O'Mahonys club will only qualify for Munster if Dr. Crokes lose on Sunday?

How is there two SFC finals?
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:07 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
Real Kerry Fan wrote:Well THE County Final is on Sunday. I expect Mid Kerry to sneak it. Donncha Walsh playing well at centre half back plus the O'Sullivans flying. Any comments out there Kerry posters? Sad

Last weekend Aidan O'Mahonys club won the "Kerry SFC". However the "Kerry SFC" takes place again this weekend, and O'Mahonys club will only qualify for Munster if Dr. Crokes lose on Sunday?

Rathmore won the Clubonly championship which is a seperate competition to the County Championship which takes place next Sunday. The County Championship includes both club and divisional teams(Mid Kerry,South Kerry etc.) The winners of the County Championship represent Kerry in Munster but as divisional teams are barred from it,if Mid Kerry win the CLUB champions Ie Rathmore will go forward.Clear as a whistle Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Podger Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:11 pm

Is there a situatuion where the losers of teh County final if they lose to a divisional team go into Munster champiosnhip?
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:31 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:

Rathmore won the Clubonly championship which is a seperate competition to the County Championship which takes place next Sunday. The County Championship includes both club and divisional teams(Mid Kerry,South Kerry etc.) The winners of the County Championship represent Kerry in Munster but as divisional teams are barred from it,if Mid Kerry win the CLUB champions Ie Rathmore will go forward.Clear as a whistle Very Happy

How are divisional teams amalagamated? If South Kerry is one and Mid Kerry is another, there can't be too many divisional teams. And why are Dr. Crokes a club team taking on a divisional team? Why aren't Rathmore allowed to compete in the "County" Championship likes Dr. Crokes and why aren't Dr. Crokes allowed to competed in the "Club" Champiosnhip like Rathmore?
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Loyal. Crokes did take part in Club competition and Rathmore beat them.Also Rathmore did take part in Co. Championship but were knocked out. Div teams are South Kerry,Mid Kerry,West Kerry,Feale Rangers,Shannon Rangers and East Kerry. I think that is the total. Senior Clubs in Co. Champ are Crokes,Rahillys,Stacks,St. Michaels/Foilmore,Laune Rangers,Dingle,Listowel Emmets,Ardfert,
I am beginning to confuse myself now. Laughing
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Podger Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:51 pm

In 1984 West kerry won the senior champoinship beatin South Kerry in teh final. Castleisland Desmonds went on to win teh All-ireland club final the followin March.

Go figure that one men.
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:48 pm

Podger wrote:In 1984 West kerry won the senior champoinship beatin South Kerry in teh final. Castleisland Desmonds went on to win teh All-ireland club final the followin March.

Go figure that one men.

Easy. Two Divisional teams in Final. Divisional teams barred from taking part in All Ireland club championship.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:42 pm

It looks like there are 10 teams in the senior club championship? And 16 teams in the divisional county championship including the aforementioned 10 as well as 6 divisional teams? And the 6 divisional teams are presumably made up of Intermediate and Junior clubs joining together? Is all that correct RKF?

This looks to be the exact template that Cavan County Board are trying to replicate with the new championship structure Jon Smith outlined on the Cavan thread a few weeks back.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Podger Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:
Podger wrote:In 1984 West kerry won the senior champoinship beatin South Kerry in teh final. Castleisland Desmonds went on to win teh All-ireland club final the followin March.

Go figure that one men.

Easy. Two Divisional teams in Final. Divisional teams barred from taking part in All Ireland club championship.

Ah twasnt really a question. I reckon Castleislnd must be the only club ever to win the all ireland having not won their own county champioship.
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:41 pm

Podger wrote:
Real Kerry Fan wrote:

Go figure that one men.

Ah twasnt really a question. I reckon Castleislnd must be the only club ever to win the all ireland having not won their own county champioship.

Good point. Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:30 pm

A KERRY GAA star who collapsed during a club game at the weekend was still clinging to life at Cork University Hospital late last night.

Brendan O'Driscoll remained critically ill and family members were maintaining a vigil at his bedside in the hospital's intensive care unit.

The 28-year-old builder was playing for his club, Annascaul, against neighbouring Lispole in the West Kerry Championship on Sunday when he fell to the ground 10 minutes into the second half.

The ball was at the other end of the pitch at the time and there was no other player close to him. It is believed he may have suffered a brain haemorrhage.

Players from both sides rushed to his assistance before an ambulance arrived to bring Mr O'Driscoll to Kerry General Hospital. He was later transferred to Cork University Hospital where he was placed under the care of a specialist neurosurgical team.

Mr O'Driscoll, a nephew of former Kerry All-Ireland winning captain Tommy Doyle, is a very accomplished sportsman and one of the star players on the Annascaul team.

He had contributed 1-1 as his side built up a 1-4 to 0-4 lead in Sunday's key local derby. He was also an influential wing forward on the West Kerry divisional side that lost to Dr Crokes in the county senior championship semi-final the previous weekend.

The Annascaul man, who is not married, is a talented soccer player and regularly lined out with Lisselton Rovers and Camp United as well as representing Ireland at the junior international grade and Kerry at inter-county level.

Paying tribute to Mr O'Driscoll last night, Annascaul GAA Club PRO, Sean Barry, remarked: "Brendan is a vital member of our club. He was our captain last year and he is one of our senior players

"He never lets the club down. He is a fantastic footballer, an all-round gentleman and a decent, down to earth guy."

Mr Barry said the thoughts of everybody at the club were with Brendan's parents, Vincent and Mary, his sister and four brothers.

GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down