GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Golf thread

+19
mossbags
Grenvile
Royal_Girl2k9
samin12
Real Kerry Fan
black&white
RMDrive
mullins
bocerty
The Puke
Loyal2TheRoyal
OMAR
Thomas Clarke
redhandman
Boxtyeater
patrique
hurlingguru
Jayo Cluxton
GAAGenious
23 posters

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

The Golf thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Golf thread

Post  bocerty Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:14 pm

mullins wrote:
bocerty wrote:
mullins wrote:
bocerty wrote:you would have to wonder just how long the mental scars of yesterday will take to heal. No doubt the lad is absolutely gutted at how yesterday materialised and its bound to be playing in his mind. Days like yesterday can take a long time to heal (just ask Peter Canavan after 95 defeat to the Dubs) and some folk never recover at all. McIlroy is lucky that he has youth on his side and should have plenty of opportunities to atone for yesterday.

I think it a bit harsh to criticise someone so young for having no bottle - yesterday was new territory for him and it all went pear shaped but i would like to think someday he will make up for it.

Rolling Eyes

not like you to use someone else's material Mullins!!!!!

Just fixing your rubbish about Dublin and replacing it with fact...

funny that as Canavan won another Ulster title in 96 and played in an All-Ireland semi the same year, he also won numerous awards and two senior All Irelands since then, 2 more than any Dublin player won in the same period!!!!

Facts are Mullins Canavan has faired better than the Dubs
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:45 pm

bocerty wrote:
mullins wrote:
bocerty wrote:
mullins wrote:
bocerty wrote:you would have to wonder just how long the mental scars of yesterday will take to heal. No doubt the lad is absolutely gutted at how yesterday materialised and its bound to be playing in his mind. Days like yesterday can take a long time to heal (just ask Peter Canavan after 95 defeat to the Dubs) and some folk never recover at all. McIlroy is lucky that he has youth on his side and should have plenty of opportunities to atone for yesterday.

I think it a bit harsh to criticise someone so young for having no bottle - yesterday was new territory for him and it all went pear shaped but i would like to think someday he will make up for it.

Rolling Eyes

funny that as Canavan won another Ulster title in 96 and played in an All-Ireland semi the same year, he also won numerous awards and two senior All Irelands since then, 2 more than any Dublin player won in the same period!!!!

Nobody said he didn't-but by his own admission he said 95 left him with mental scars

I guess he got over them by 03-but then again last year in is newspaper column he was still going on about it..You would think with 2 All-Irelands in his back pocket he would be well over it..Obviously NOT

I would say 96 left him with a few scars as well -its a bit childish to be comparing what he won to what Dublin have won since.. Suspect
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:36 pm

mullins wrote:
bocerty wrote:
mullins wrote:
bocerty wrote:
mullins wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Nobody said he didn't-but by his own admission he said 95 left him with mental scars

I guess he got over them by 03-but then again last year in is newspaper column he was still going on about it..You would think with 2 All-Irelands in his back pocket he would be well over it..Obviously NOT

I would say 96 left him with a few scars as well -its a bit childish to be comparing what he won to what Dublin have won since.. Suspect

actually Mullins those are the facts nothing childish about it, and your the guy who likes to deal in facts - except of course when they don't suit your argument
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:57 am

Rory leading the Malaysian Open on -11 after two rounds. Shot a bogey-free 64 today.

Very impressive after last week, especially since he had a 20 hour flight during which his clubs were lost! Hope he can finish the job off now.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:04 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Rory leading the Malaysian Open on -11 after two rounds. Shot a bogey-free 64 today.

Very impressive after last week, especially since he had a 20 hour flight during which his clubs were lost! Hope he can finish the job off now.

Watch him crash and burn on Sunday........
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:09 pm

he scored a good score on thursday too without getting a practice round.

this is not a major so i think the pressures off

however after last weekend could the jitters kick in on sunday should Rory be there or there abouts? it will say alot about this likeable lads character...
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:58 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Very impressive after last week, especially since he had a 20 hour flight during which his clubs were lost!

I thought he lost them after 63 holes in Augusta!!!! Would be great to see him put together 4 good rounds this week though and shut up some people. Not just on here by the way!!!!!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Oh new thread title!!!

My friend's aunt just bought a new 1.8d Golf .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:32 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Oh new thread title!!!

Hope it has fore wheels
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:06 pm

Let the lead slip - very disappointing result once again.

He's obviously proved his critics wrong with his performances over the past fortnight, however, serious questions have to be asked of his temperament.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:21 pm

There has a been a good amount of comment suggesting that the role of the caddy is vital and that he needs someone that can slow him down and ensure that maintains a calm rythym when the going gets tough.
In particular the choice of a wood for his third shot on the 10th at Augusta (after he hacked out from Butlers cabin). from an uphill bad lie to a tight green from 249 odd yards - and that The Steve Williams of this world would have
told him that a 3 iron and a pitch and putt for 5 was the better option.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:32 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Oh new thread title!!!

funnily enough i just bought the new 1.6 tdi diesel golf !

lets hope shes not like my game of golf and like to sta away from the main track!
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:39 pm

I see Meath are hosting the Solheim Cup in 2011.

Next we'll bidding for the World Cup.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:59 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:I see Meath are hosting the Solheim Cup in 2011.

must be the rugby World Cup and big Joe was getting in some early training last year
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:06 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:I see Meath are hosting the Solheim Cup in 2011.

Some of your senior team could play in that ...... Laughing
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:01 pm

Worth watching.....

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:41 am

Rory McIlroy finished with a 69 on Sunday, that is three under par. you can't call that choking.

Unless Tyson Gay loses to usain Bolt because he chokes. Bolt being faster having nowt to do with it.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:11 am

patrique wrote:Rory McIlroy finished with a 69 on Sunday, that is three under par. you can't call that choking.

Unless Tyson Gay loses to usain Bolt because he chokes. Bolt being faster having nowt to do with it.

not sure Patrique - i've heard of many a man choking on a 69 and not always on A Sunday
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:57 am

bocerty wrote:
patrique wrote:Rory McIlroy finished with a 69 on Sunday, that is three under par. you can't call that choking.

not sure Patrique - i've heard of many a man choking on a 69 and not always on A Sunday

One year Greg Norman "The Great White Shark" led all fout majors on Saturday night.

He lost all 4 the next day. Up here he became known as "The Great White Presbyterian", never on a Sunday.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:37 pm

patrique wrote:
bocerty wrote:

One year Greg Norman "The Great White Shark" led all fout majors on Saturday night.

He lost all 4 the next day. Up here he became known as "The Great White Presbyterian", never on a Sunday.

he must have connections in Mayo!!!!! I'd say his granny was a Mortimer
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:43 am

Here we go again................
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:49 am

The only thing surer in life than Rory McIlroy blitzing the field in the first round of a major championship, is Loyal lurking behind, licking his lips at the thought of a last round collapse.

Rory was brilliant yesterday, although there is always the worry that he may not hole enough putts. He could have been 8 or 9 under, but missed a couple of 12-15ft birdie chances. Still though, if he drives for the rest of the weekend like he did yesterday, he will be extremely hard to beat.

A remarkably talented young man, who clearly relishes the big occasion.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:06 am

Second shot to the par five (sixth) was incredible - Ive never seen an iron shot hit that distance let alone an accurate one
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:29 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:The only thing surer in life than Rory McIlroy blitzing the field in the first round of a major championship, is Loyal lurking behind, licking his lips at the thought of a last round collapse.

Rory was brilliant yesterday, although there is always the worry that he may not hole enough putts. He could have been 8 or 9 under, but missed a couple of 12-15ft birdie chances. Still though, if he drives for the rest of the weekend like he did yesterday, he will be extremely hard to beat.

A remarkably talented young man, who clearly relishes the big occasion.

If he keeps playing the way he is then he won't need to be holing the long putts, as he won't have too many of them!

His biggest mistake in Augusta was trying to play conservatively. Instead of playing his natural aggressive game he started to think too much about each shot, trying to go for the safe option.
As any golfer knows, once you think too much about your swing, things will go wrong.
If Rory sticks to his natural aggressive game then he's in with a great shout. One of the best hitters of middle-to-long irons the game has seen
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:01 pm

Outrageous stuff from McIlroy so far today.

Only the 5th player in the history of the US Open to reach double digits under par at any stage of the competition.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next