GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Premier League

+23
hurlingguru
mugsys_barber
Real Kerry Fan
Thomas Clarke
redhandman
samin12
Larry Murphy
3inarow08
black&white
RMDrive
mullins
JimWexford
bald eagle
hipster 2
bocerty
Boxtyeater
SamiPremier08
Jayo Cluxton
OMAR
patrique
Grenvile
The Puke
Loyal2TheRoyal
27 posters

Page 22 of 39 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 30 ... 39  Next

Go down

The Premier League - Page 22 Empty Re: The Premier League

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:23 am

Yaya Toure gave Vidic some headaches. And Balotelli gets mugged by Ferdinand for apparently goading United fans. Never saw him pulling up Gary Neville for it though ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Yaya Toure gave Vidic some headaches. And Balotelli gets mugged by Ferdinand for apparently goading United fans. Never saw him pulling up Gary Neville for it though ...

There are many clowns in the premiership but Rio is out on his own. He receives large sums for advertising all thoose video nasty games, and then makes sanctimonious speeches about the need to curtail gun violence.

a complete self abuser..
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:49 pm

United completely dominating Schalke, if it wasn't for an extraordinary goalkeeping display United could be up by 4 at least. Missed chances could yet come back to haunt them but unless Schalke improve dramatically United should go through comfortably, they look very much out of their depth.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Underestimate the Germans at your peril......They make Volkswagon don't forget....Unfashionable but dogged and reliable.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:58 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Underestimate the Germans at your peril......They make Volkswagon don't forget....Unfashionable but dogged and reliable.

Indeed B, I could be made to eat those words, United have never beaten a German side over two legs..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:19 pm

Jonsmith wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote:Underestimate the Germans at your peril......They make Volkswagon don't forget....Unfashionable but dogged and reliable.

Indeed B, I could be made to eat those words, United have never beaten a German side over two legs..

Schalke ate 10th in Germany. Stoke are 10th in England. Stoke look to be a better side.

How in the name of the almighty did Schalke get to the semi. I know they beat Valencia and destroyed Inter but how?

The other night there defence was less mobile than 4 dust bins. Valencia got to the byline every time he got the ball although for once his crossing ability was woeful, as was the finishing by Giggs and Hernandez. Should have been 15 nil, but United only do 0-1 in Europe, I suspect Rooney got the hair dryer for scoring a second......

Bring on Barcelona, I mean they don't have someone like Yaya to scythe open the United defence with a mazy run.....do they?
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:37 pm

patrique wrote:
Schalke ate 10th in Germany. Stoke are 10th in England. Stoke look to be a better side.

How in the name of the almighty did Schalke get to the semi. I know they beat Valencia and destroyed Inter but how?

The other night there defence was less mobile than 4 dust bins. Valencia got to the byline every time he got the ball although for once his crossing ability was woeful, as was the finishing by Giggs and Hernandez. Should have been 15 nil, but United only do 0-1 in Europe, I suspect Rooney got the hair dryer for scoring a second......

Bring on Barcelona, I mean they don't have someone like Yaya to scythe open the United defence with a mazy run.....do they?

They looked like complete novices.. Hernandez's finishing was off for once, thankfully it didn't cost them on the night because the opposition were so poor.

Mazy run....? When did that happen? Oh you must mean when Carrick passed to Yaya at the edge of the box and with nobody near him he jogged 6 yards and scored..

For United to beat Barca it would take a bit of magic or two from the attack and an outstanding defensive effort from VDS and the back 4. They aren't unbeatable but I don't know if this United side have enough to do it. Assuming both sides get there of course.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:51 am

Jonsmith wrote:
patrique wrote:

They looked like complete novices.. Hernandez's finishing was off for once, thankfully it didn't cost them on the night because the opposition were so poor.

Mazy run....? When did that happen? Oh you must mean when Carrick passed to Yaya at the edge of the box and with nobody near him he jogged 6 yards and scored..

For United to beat Barca it would take a bit of magic or two from the attack and an outstanding defensive effort from VDS and the back 4. They aren't unbeatable but I don't know if this United side have enough to do it. Assuming both sides get there of course.

That's right, blame poor Carrick for Van der sars mistake, VDS being an "untouchable". and certainly poor Vidic was nowhere near Yaya when he ghosted past him.....

the reason for that nonsense is that some think Barcelona would not be a problem for United. certainly they are beatable but that Real madrid team are special, and better equipped than United, and failed. United do not do individual magic, they are all about a hard working team effort, hence the presence of Park and absence of Berbatov. they have done well to get to the final, even if a fading chelsea were the best they faced, but Schalke did thrash Inter so.......

But the reality is you would have Barcelona as warm favourites.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun May 01, 2011 3:52 pm

Come on United, hate to see City being the only trophy winners in Manchester this year.

Fergie has berbatov on NOW. This old playing for 0-0 can rebound on ye.......
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun May 01, 2011 10:54 pm

patrique wrote:Come on United, hate to see City being the only trophy winners in Manchester this year.

Fergie has berbatov on NOW. This old playing for 0-0 can rebound on ye.......

United have dropped two points from a possible fifty-one at Old Trafford this season. It will take a serious Chelsea challenge to beat them - although at least it makes things interesting.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon May 02, 2011 11:17 pm

Ferguson and Mourinho have so much in common. The red nosed one has not an ounce of class whatsoever. As Kevin Keegan might say I'd love to see them getting done. Love it.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun May 08, 2011 6:07 pm

Champions Again!

Instrumental in the second goal:

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sun May 08, 2011 9:02 pm

The league has been won by the best team. That's all you can ask for.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon May 09, 2011 1:39 am

RMDrive wrote:The league has been won by the best team. That's all you can ask for.

debatable.

Won by the most consistent team yes, but a team, in comparison to other years, in serious decline.

I know they are in a Euro final but beat Chelsea and rangers to get there.

In recent weeks United slipped up, unlike them in good years as Chelsea finished stronger. Chelsea dropped 28 out of 48 points at one stage, fatal.

Arsenal can reach heights the rest cannot but reach lows the others can't. City are a work in progress, and since Dalgleish arrived, Liverpool have beaten all the big clubs bar Arsenal.

So congrats to United, but it has been a poor league.Not United's fault that obviously, but they appear to be in decline.

Next year will reveal much.

patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Mon May 09, 2011 9:59 am

patrique wrote:
So congrats to United, but it has been a poor league.Not United's fault that obviously, but they appear to be in decline.

Strange that for all the talk of a "poor" season, United's 2011 squad need 3 points from their final 2 games to match the points tally from the 1999 side. Don't remember anyone calling that a "poor" season.............. Rolling Eyes
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon May 09, 2011 10:04 am

Delighted for Ferguson - a class, polite and modest man in a sea of sharks.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon May 09, 2011 11:42 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Delighted for Ferguson - a class, polite and modest man in a sea of sharks.

i'll second that Jayo a great man altogether
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon May 09, 2011 11:54 am

bocerty wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:Delighted for Ferguson - a class, polite and modest man in a sea of sharks.

i'll second that Jayo a great man altogether

Indeed, a role model in terms of grace, humility and sportsmanship, that any young man should aspire to be like.

Interesting that, perhaps the only manager to get the better of him in England, was the equally gracious, humble and sporting Jose. Perhaps such virtues are what is required to succeed...
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue May 10, 2011 12:59 am

black&white wrote:
patrique wrote:

Strange that for all the talk of a "poor" season, United's 2011 squad need 3 points from their final 2 games to match the points tally from the 1999 side. Don't remember anyone calling that a "poor" season.............. Rolling Eyes

United's squad are about to win the league with the worst away record since 1977 for a league winner.
Chelsea dropped 28 points out of 48 at one stage in the middle of the league and a win yesterday would have put them top? If Unite4d win the two games they will have less points than Liverpool in 2009, and the least for winners since 2001 I think it is.

As for 1999 United did indeed win the biggie, but were incredibly fortunate to do so having been totally outplayed in the final. their squad then was much as it is now, reliant on work rate and teamwork, noble virtues but I prefer the beautiful game.

If you were unaware of the fact, winning qualifying competitions doesn't cut a lot of ice with me. although I am from an island I do not have an island mentality, or a Liverpool/Manchester one.

Winning in Europe would impress me. The two best sides in Europe would be Real ad Barcelona and they appear to be well ahead of the rest.

beat Barcelona and United might impress me, although I would still only pay to watch Barcelona as United's players lack finesse.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat May 14, 2011 9:35 pm

At the outset of this thread I was labelled as a "blinkered" United fan when I predicted that they would easily finish within the top 4 and get to at least the Quarter Finals of the Champions League depending on the draw.

It appears that those people were correct and I was indeed blinkered, I couldn't for the life of me see that this team was capable of getting the League and strolling to a Champions League Final. Not bad for a group of journeymen with a crock and man who can only head the ball in the back, OAP's or wasters in the centre, one trick ponies on the wings and a greedy fat scouser who can't score up front.

I thank these people for pointing out my inability to see the potential in this United side.

The Champions League Final could well prove to be a humbling experience and I can't see United winning unless everything goes their way and Barca have an off day. Anything's possible though.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat May 14, 2011 10:17 pm

What a performance today from Super Mario - with City's main man only returning from injury, it was left to Balotelli to light up Wembley. And he sure did.

If there's a better left-back than Kolorav and if there's a better attacking midfielder than Yaya, anywhere in the world, then I am yet to see them. De Jong is the best holding midfielder bar maybe Van Bommel too.

No need for City to go to the chequebook in the summer, this is a world class team as it is.

United finally made the League a mathematical certainty - Hernandez once again winning the penalty that earned United the necessary point. I think they will beat Barca in the final.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun May 15, 2011 12:38 am

Steady on JS - do not smother in the blanket of your own self smugness. I admire what United have done in the last 10 PL games or so. Worthy winners of the League and some guys came good in a big way - fair play. It was a poor PL season - I have said that all along. United's home record is superb - but their away wins record matches Blackpool. This team is better than I gave them credit for .. but the big test is 28 May. I would not write them off v Barca at all.

But I still hate whiskey nose.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

The Premier League - Page 22 Empty When did United last win a trophy?

Post  patrique Sun May 15, 2011 1:53 am

I know City won a trophy at 5pm today, but when did United last win anything?

seems like a long time ago.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun May 15, 2011 2:01 am

As a noted non United fan the following words spring to mind ... banal, facetious, stupid, boring, inane and not even clever .......
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun May 15, 2011 9:28 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Steady on JS - do not smother in the blanket of your own self smugness. I admire what United have done in the last 10 PL games or so. Worthy winners of the League and some guys came good in a big way - fair play. It was a poor PL season - I have said that all along. United's home record is superb - but their away wins record matches Blackpool. This team is better than I gave them credit for .. but the big test is 28 May. I would not write them off v Barca at all.

But I still hate whiskey nose.

Not being smug JC as I don't take any massive enjoyment from the title win.. But reading back through the earlier parts of the thread United weren't given a chance in hell of winning anything, now they have the League and are in the CL final. Credit where credit is due.. Love him or loathe him, whiskey nose what he's doing.

It was a poor Premier League Season in terms of consistency of the top teams. But United have surpassed the points tally they had when they won the treble in '99.. This team isn't a team of fantastic individuals like say Barca are, but they are more than the sum of their parts and are still capable of playing some great football.

The big test will be the Champions League Final for sure, both Utd and Barca with the leagues wrapped up, no major injury concerns yet and no suspensions.. I just can't see United having the posession to score enough goals to beat Barca. Barring heroics from the defence and VDS and a moment of magic or two from the attack I can't see it.. I'd imagine 2-0 or 2-1 Barca.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 39 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 30 ... 39  Next