GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

all-ireland gold

5 posters

Go down

all-ireland gold Empty all-ireland gold

Post  Guest Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:08 pm

Tyrone v Dublin drawn quarter final from 2005, on tonight tg4 11.45

Back to top Go down

all-ireland gold Empty Re: all-ireland gold

Post  whiterbananas Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:18 am

good man samin. Just spotted this post in time, fair play boy
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:55 am

Watching this game the thing that most stands out is just how wasteful stephen o neill was. Takin shots from every angle
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:51 am

whiterbananas wrote:Watching this game the thing that most stands out is just how wasteful stephen o neill was. Takin shots from every angle

Couldnt believe that myself, think he scored about 6, 1 or 2 crackers from play but most were frees. He must have wasted about 10 other chances.

Cant remember how ONeill got on replay but i know Ciaran McKeever got the better of him in semi final, and if memory serves me right it was Mulligan and Canavan done the damage in the final (open to correction on that). Also Oneill got sent off in ulster final replay.

At one stage in that match that was shown last night the commentator gave what ONeill had scored so far in championship think it was 3-34. Now thats a serious amount but would it be fair to say that ONeill got his Player of the Year award based on the Ulster Championship up untill the drawn game in Ulster final. Certainly was not great in at least 3 of Tyrones 5 last games in 2005

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:07 am

samin10 wrote:
Cant remember how ONeill got on replay but i know Ciaran McKeever got the better of him in semi final, and if memory serves me right it was Mulligan and Canavan done the damage in the final (open to correction on that). Also Oneill got sent off in ulster final replay.

At one stage in that match that was shown last night the commentator gave what ONeill had scored so far in championship think it was 3-34. Now thats a serious amount but would it be fair to say that ONeill got his Player of the Year award based on the Ulster Championship up untill the drawn game in Ulster final. Certainly was not great in at least 3 of Tyrones 5 last games in 2005

Yes, O'Neill was sensational early on in 2005 (I think he was also player of the month twice during the league), although his form did dip slightly later in the year.

He was much better against the Dubs in the replay, but was quiet in the semi (what forward wasn't that day?!). In the final, O'Neill kicked a couple of lovely points, which probably did just enough to secure player of the year for him. But yes, Mulligan caught fire in August/September that year, and he and McGuigan were Tyrone's best forwards in the last few games.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:14 am

I would say his display in the drawn Ulster final was as good a performance i have ever seen from a forward. McConville says in his book that walking off the field Francie looked at him and laughed and said "i never want to see that f***** Stevie ONeill again as long as i live". A big compliment in a round about way.

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:28 pm

samin10 wrote:I would say his display in the drawn Ulster final was as good a performance i have ever seen from a forward. McConville says in his book that walking off the field Francie looked at him and laughed and said "i never want to see that f***** Stevie ONeill again as long as i live". A big compliment in a round about way.

no round about way at all samin ! thats the country talk comin out in the ginger one!
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:24 pm

Laochra Gael at 9.30

A look at Dublin Meath epics of 1991

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Never want to hear the following terms from Dublin or Meath posters in reference to ulster football after watching that.

"cynical fouling"
"swarm tackling"
"off the ball incidents"
"dirty play".

Unbelievable amount of the above in these games, with former players openly admitting that they had their targets in the opposition that they were trying to take out of the game.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:08 pm

Sorry, forgot to add it was still brilliant to watch Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:24 pm

Yeah seen that one Samin, I suppose the 1991 rivalry between Dublin and Meath injected much needed interest in the GAA after Italia 90 had the whole country going soccerball crazy. TG4 have also a few other rivalries covered such as Tyrone/Armagh, Roscommon/Galway, Kildare/Meath and Kerry/Offaly.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:31 pm

i would like to see the Armagh/Tyrone show

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:41 pm

Its also a good enough show Samin, It focusses alot on 2003 and 2005 so obviously the story had a happy ending Razz
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:44 pm

mugsys_barber wrote:Its also a good enough show Samin, It focusses alot on 2003 and 2005 so obviously the story had a happy ending Razz

show much of 2002? i know they were only 1st round games but Armagh v tyrone that year were two great games.

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:01 pm

Yeah it did show a bit of 2002 but much of the focus was on when both teams went to Croke park and there are interviews with some of those who took part in those battles such as Canavan, Ricey, McGeeney and Enda McNulty. McNulty more or less lays the blame directly at Joe Kernan for substituting Geezer in 2005 as it freed Sean Cavanagh up for the last ten minutes of the game because up until then he was relatively quiet in that semi final. McGeeney came off for Enda McNulty too so he was obviously not going to take any of the flack for his manager's decision!!
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:10 pm

it was a strange change to make to say the least Mugsy. I think Big Joe head was the only place it made sense. I remember Tyrone people sitting beside me laughing and wondering what the hell was going on. I was wondering the same thing but was not amused to say the least. I think just about every other person in croke park other than joe was wondering what was going on.

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:15 pm

samin10 wrote:it was a strange change to make to say the least Mugsy. I think Big Joe head was the only place it made sense. I remember Tyrone people sitting beside me laughing and wondering what the hell was going on. I was wondering the same thing but was not amused to say the least. I think just about every other person in croke park other than joe was wondering what was going on.

very true Samin - i couldn't believe it myself and virtually every Armagh in and around were i was sitting was gob-smacked. As soon as he went off it was game over for Armagh.

Easily one of the worst substitutions Bog Joe ever made and makes you wonder did he know his apples from his onions when it came to football.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down