GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who will win the All-Ireland now?

5 posters

Go down

Who will win the All-Ireland now? Empty Who will win the All-Ireland now?

Post  Guest Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:39 am

Dublin?
No can't see it. Fell over the line against a Meath team - played all out of position - with the help of the referee, hammered Westmeath who just happen to be one of two counties (Kilkenny the other) without a win in the League or Championship all year and then a decent enough performance against Kildare who themselves are nothing special. The backs on the big stage are like rabbits in headlights and for as good as their forwards are meant to be, a repeat of Meath would see them knocked out pretty quickly. How strong their bench is remains to be seen.

Kildare?
So far Kildare have beaten the footballing superpowers of Wicklow, Laois, Wexford and Offaly, four counties that any of the nine teams left in the championship would probably beat handily. In fact, they were somewhat fortitious in beating Wicklow. Tyrone have obviously got the draw of the round in drawing Kieren McGeeney's men and the dream for the Lilywhites ends here.

Kerry?
The last time the Kingdom failed to make an All-Ireland semi-final was 2000, I will be amazed if any Dublin team are the ones to end that amazing sequence. OK, so Kerry haven't set the world alight so far, I seem to recall Tyrone being in this exact same position a year ago and look what happened. Class is permanent form is temporary, and above anyone else, Kerry have class, Gooch, Galvin, O'Sullivan, Reidy, O'Se to name just a few. I'm willing to guess that when these guys get back to headquarters, they will be like a team transformed.

Meath?
Well its all set up nicely for Meath now, the draw, injuries, everything has been pretty kind to them. Obviously beating Waterford, Westmeath, Roscommon isn't great form, none of that trio would put fear into too many teams but you can only beat what is put in front of you and since the Dublin game - where we were arguably robbed of another two minutes injury point and a Joe Sheridan point right on the final whistle - Meath have done just that. Many would categorise them as "could be anything", I would go that little bit further and say we will have a big say in the destination of Sam.

Donegal?
Now here is an Ulster team I like. Right so things go out off to a rocky start against Antrim and they didn't improve a great deal soon after, stuttering to victories over Carlow and Clare. But Donegal being Donegal, being as mercurial as only Donegal can be come out in their next two games and beat Derry and Galway in fairly impressive fashion. Now I must confess that I wouldn't know a whole lot about their players but for a long time, I've rated Karl Lacey as the best corner-back in Ireland and Murphy and McFadden up front look pretty good. A repeat of 1992 could be on the cards, who knows?

Mayo?
Well they are waiting in the wings for Meath or Limerick in what many will describe as the weakest of the four quarter finals. And for now, it probably is, but the next month will say different in my opinion. Anyway back to Mayo, so far they have beaten Roscommon and Galway, both as bad as each other. Like another of the provincial winners, Tyrone, Mayo could be described as something of an unknown quantity because they haven't been tested. However, I think I know all I need to know about Mayo and the last three years under O'Mahony have shown they are nothing special. They are coming from a fairly weak province and when the going gets tough, as it will against Meath or Limerick, they'll probably be found wanting.

Tyrone?
Exposed Ulster as the third strongest province having laughed off all the challenges up there. Ulster and Ireland are a million miles apart however and when they face the traditional strongholds of Cork, Kerry and Meath, then that will be the acid for Mickey Harte's men. Reigning All-Ireland Champions but it should be pointed out that last year was one of the weakest championships in the 125 year history of this assiociation and Tyrone will need to be at their best to even be competitive this year. They got lucky with the Kildare draw but I'd fancy a rejuvenated Donegal to beat them in the semis. The players they had available to them in 2007 look pretty similiar to the ones they have in 2009 so not a lot has changed except that everything around them has got progressively worse and they've remained middling enough.

Cork?
After beating Kerry, many believed they could challenge for All-Ireland honours but that form hasn't exactly being uphold. Limerick threw the game away as well and Cork picked up the pieces, in short, they have gone down in my estimation in the last few weeks. They do have a few scoring forwards unlike before but not of the strength or quality of say Meath. I'd expect Donegal to take them in the All-Ireland quarters.

Limerick?
Face the daunting task of a trip up to Portlaoise for a bout with possible champions elect. But you can be sure, they won't be coming up to make up the numbers. Limerick will give Meath an accurate reflection of where exactly we are at. They are strong in midfield and their full-forward line is probably their ace card. I'd give my own county the nod but I wouldn't be surprised if Limerick prevailed either. For the winner of this game though, destiny awaits as I believe either Meath or Limerick will progress to an All-Ireland Final.

VERDICT:

DONEGAL TO BEAT MEATH IN THE FINAL OF THE 2009 FOOT BALL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Last edited by Loyal2TheRoyal on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Who will win the All-Ireland now? Empty Re: Who will win the All-Ireland now?

Post  bald eagle Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:46 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Dublin?
Tyrone?
Exposed Ulster as the third strongest province having laughed off all the challenges up there.

To be honest, after this years Ulster Championship i wouldn't even rate us as that such is Tyrones dominance!

I personally am looking forward to Tyrones next game to see just how the Ulster Championship has affected them, they will have to be careful in the Q/f as they could slip up, if they don't they'll walk the All Ireland.

I'd love to see Donegal win it though!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:14 pm

Posts seem to be few and far between these days. Who do you think will win it, Bald Eagle?

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:24 pm

At the moment Tyrone, but just for the ease that they blasted through Ulster. Only problem is that you can't say they have been tested but is that because they are so good? I have a funny feeling they won't get into the final!

The Dubs look decent enough, again the curse of being provincial champions will stop them.....and Cork.....and Mayo!

I actually think you're not too far away with Donegal and Meath being in the final, one could get there but not both, i'm going for Donegal.....after all i tipped them for Ulster!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:41 pm

Tyrone will win it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:48 pm

I can't see past Tyrone, would love to see the Dubs win it and actually wouldn't mind seeing Meath or Donegal win it, I hope Kerry get hammered in next round by the Dubs they just have an arrogance about them that is'nt endearing. I think if Donegal can avoid Dublin and Tyrone they have every chance of making the final.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:03 pm

Bright-Oak wrote:I can't see past Tyrone, would love to see the Dubs win it and actually wouldn't mind seeing Meath or Donegal win it, I hope Kerry get hammered in next round by the Dubs they just have an arrogance about them that is'nt endearing. I think if Donegal can avoid Dublin and Tyrone they have every chance of making the final.

"Endearing" - what a Cool word! Your literacy skills are extraordinarily good!

But I think you are getting confused saying you would like to see Dublin win. Nobody wants to see Dublin win except Dubs themselves. Come on The Kingdom!

Back to top Go down

Post  lino_de_legend Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:49 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote: Meath have done just that. Many would categorise them as "could be anything", I would go that little bit further and say we will have a big say in the destination of Sam.

A big say!! dont make me laugh royal. i can see ya's struggling to beat limerick if even at the weekend, but dont think ya's have a shout against mayo. the team i think will have a say in sam is kildare. tyrone not having played a major match could be a down fall , and kildare might be about to cause a bit of a shock. if kildare can manage to pull it off then i have a strong gut feeling its gonna be dublin-donegal instead of dubs - tyrone.

FACT
lino_de_legend
lino_de_legend
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 194

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:51 pm

Of the nine left I reckon only Tyrone,Dublin, Kerry or Mayo have any real chance of actually going and winning it with Donegal as potential dark horses. I havn't seen much of Meath since the Dublin game but they looked pretty brutal then. Donegal will beat Cork and if they manage to get to the final I can see tham winning it on the day. Lacey is the best defender in the country right now, no question.
Dublin have what amounts to probably the biggest crunch game in decades against Kerry on Monday and everything points to victory for them but can they be trusted yet? If Kerry do manage to win only Tyrone can stop them going on from there. But I think the Dubs will stand up next week.
Mayo are interesting and would like to see them go all the way(honest!) but their still not quite the finished article imo.
Ultimately, unless Donegal can catch them on the hop it all points to Tyrone again for me. Of all the teams left they look the most complete.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:18 am

Amazing how people get skewed vision!

Donegal are a poor team and have over achieved to get this far - fair play to them. For anyone to suggest they are dark horses even for the semi is pure rubbish. The winners of Dublin-Kerry will be in the final as will Tyrone - if they beat Kildare.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Swinford2009 Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:31 am

the four provincial champions are in with the best shot of winning the All-Ireland this year. i believe that Tyrone will scrape past Kildare but DOnegal will upset the order and beat Cork in the other 1/4 final on that side of the draw. Kerry/Dublin will be a tough match to call cause no matter how good/bad either team has been playing it will all be about what happens on the day. Mayo should get through their 1/4 final against Meath/Limerick without overly excerting themselves and thus keeping themselves fresh for a semi-final against, i think, Kerry.

it is in the semis that the provincial champions will show their full worth and Tyrone will beat Donegal handily enough and Mayo will finally shrug off the Kerry hoodoo of the past 12 years and beat them by a very slim margin.

Tyrone-Mayo final....too hard to call as Mayo generally have Tyrone's number but when it comes to an All-Ireland final Tyrone are the real masters, not Kerry, of the 2000's

Prediction: too tough to call
Swinford2009
Swinford2009
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Mayo
Number of posts : 269

http://mikessportsfile.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:38 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Donegal are a poor team and have over achieved to get this far - fair play to them. For anyone to suggest they are dark horses even for the semi is pure rubbish.

Will Jayo Cluxton become the David O'Leary of this board with such a controversial comment? All they have to do is beat one team, and a team that haven't played in how long?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:25 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Amazing how people get skewed vision!

Donegal are a poor team and have over achieved to get this far - fair play to them. For anyone to suggest they are dark horses even for the semi is pure rubbish. The winners of Dublin-Kerry will be in the final as will Tyrone - if they beat Kildare.

Not a lot has changed after the day or two in the wilderness I see. Pity.

The winners of Dublin Kerry will be in a semi-final, not a final. In it, they will meet any one of Meath, Limerick or Mayo. It is my belief that Meath or Limerick can advance to a final with a win on Saturday evening. Tyrone have clearly got the draw of the round but a rejuvenated Donegal side could have too much for them in the semis.

Thus setting up a novel pairing of Donegal/Limerick or Meath/Donegal in the final.

I can't see Dublin beating Kerry. Once again, it will be left up to the Royals to fly the flag for Leinster but rest assured my Dublin friend, we shall not let the province down.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:30 am

Swinford2009 wrote:the four provincial champions are in with the best shot of winning the All-Ireland this year. i believe that Tyrone will scrape past Kildare but DOnegal will upset the order and beat Cork in the other 1/4 final on that side of the draw. Kerry/Dublin will be a tough match to call cause no matter how good/bad either team has been playing it will all be about what happens on the day. Mayo should get through their 1/4 final against Meath/Limerick without overly excerting themselves and thus keeping themselves fresh for a semi-final against, i think, Kerry.

it is in the semis that the provincial champions will show their full worth and Tyrone will beat Donegal handily enough and Mayo will finally shrug off the Kerry hoodoo of the past 12 years and beat them by a very slim margin.

Tyrone-Mayo final....too hard to call as Mayo generally have Tyrone's number but when it comes to an All-Ireland final Tyrone are the real masters, not Kerry, of the 2000's

Prediction: too tough to call

Beating Galway by a point isn't great form. You will need to step it up quite a number of gears to beat the Royal County or Limerick. This will be Mayo's biggest game since Kerry 06 and we all know what happened then.

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:14 pm

Postings quiet again Loyal, do you think you'll have much bother with Limerick this weekend?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:20 pm

bald eagle wrote:Postings quiet again Loyal, do you think you'll have much bother with Limerick this weekend?

Yeah could be tough. Portlaoise has been kind to Meath in the past but Limerick will be hardest game since Dublin. They looked to be a super fit team against Cork, always closing down the space and in the last few games Meath have had a lot of time on the ball - even too much time. For some reason Crawford and Meade keep dropping back deep to help work the ball out which leaves 40 yards of open space in the middle of the field with no Meath players. That slows the whole thing down.

The forwards are only doing enough, nothing spectacular but they can open up a team if they click.

Beating Limerick would be a big step in the right direction for Meath.

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:29 pm

I'm finding it really hard to call myself, Limerick should be Munster Champs after the performance against Cork and will definately put it up to Meath.

I think the winner of this game cannot be taken lightly in the Q/fs and should get to at least the Semis depending on who they play!

One thing for sure it's going to be the closest matched quarter finalists for a long time and if Tyrone get taken out then anyone could win it!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:01 pm

lino_de_legend wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote: Meath have done just that. Many would categorise them as "could be anything", I would go that little bit further and say we will have a big say in the destination of Sam.

A big say!! dont make me laugh royal. i can see ya's struggling to beat limerick if even at the weekend, but dont think ya's have a shout against mayo. the team i think will have a say in sam is kildare. tyrone not having played a major match could be a down fall , and kildare might be about to cause a bit of a shock. if kildare can manage to pull it off then i have a strong gut feeling its gonna be dublin-donegal instead of dubs - tyrone.

FACT

Bit off the mark there Lino?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:03 pm

Swinford2009 wrote:. Mayo should get through their 1/4 final against Meath/Limerick without overly excerting themselves and thus keeping themselves fresh for a semi-final against, i think, Kerry.

Well ye didn't have to overly exert yourselves, thats for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:04 pm

mossbags wrote:Of the nine left I reckon only Tyrone,Dublin, Kerry or Mayo have any real chance of actually going and winning it with Donegal as potential dark horses. .

Well three of those have now bitten the dust, not great predicting Mossbags.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:08 pm

Well i didnt narrow it down to three or four like the rest of ye. I said Tyrone will win it and im sticking with it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down