GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Jail or To Connacht

+2
Jayo Cluxton
OMAR
6 posters

Go down

To Jail or To Connacht Empty To Jail or To Connacht

Post  OMAR Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Judge tells man to climb holy mountain

A County Donegal judge has ordered a man who swore at a policeman to climb up Ireland's holiest mountain.

Milford District Court heard Joseph McElwee, 38, of Aughavennan, Rathmullan, was one of three people who approached two officers outside a pub.

The court heard the tirade of abuse included foul language when he told a garda to go back to Mayo.

Judge Seamus Hughes asked him if he had ever climbed Croagh Patrick in the officer's native County Mayo.

"I want you to come back in a month's time with evidence that you did the four stations of Croagh Patrick, and say a few prayers," he said.

"You then might have a different impression of County Mayo and its people, and it will be in recognition to your fellow Irish people especially those in the line of duty."

Mr McElwee's solicitor told the court drink was behind the actions of his client, who had personally apologised to the officer.
He said the public gallery were finding the pilgrimage remarks funny but he assured the judge they were taking it seriously.
He asked the judge how Mr McElwee would be able to prove he had climbed Croagh Patrick.
Mr McElwee is due to appear in court again next month, and the judge warned he would have questions prepared.
"You better have the answers, and I will know whether you are telling the truth or not," he said.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

To Jail or To Connacht Empty Re: To Jail or To Connacht

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:19 pm

I'd do 12 months before I'd climb Croagh Patrick!

A few years back I took a leap at it. I sauntered up the first two thirds of it like a young gazelle with the mossus struggling behind. I had told her to leave the stilettos behind. Anyways we got to a mass rock or something and continued on - the air was thinning and the mist was descending. The view was great though with Pee's 365 islands glistening in Clew Bay. As we neared the very, very top - with loose shale now a clear and present danger JCs immortality came into sharp focus. Ah sure we're there we decided and set off down. Halfway down we met a Yank - (all climbers salute each other) - Hi guys sez he - were ye at the top. We were sez we. Did you see the church? sez he. We looked at each other and back at him - aye we sez - twas great. We assumed he meant the Mass Rock - Americans always think mass rocks are churches. When we got back down we went over to the famine memorial for a good look up at our morning's pursuit. The mist was clearing now and lo and behold - Good God sez I to herself - there is a church or something up there - look! Embarassed

So we have to go back and do it properly some day I suppose. But who put a church up there anyway!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:28 pm

I did the climb a few years ago with a mate. We were less than well prepared (Jeans and hoodies and runners) and conditions were terrible. Thick wit got us to the top where we said a quick prayer in the freezing cold and, both soaking wet, began the descent feeling very sorry for ourselves, that quickly evaporated when we met a family with a few 12 year olds in tow, all barefoot with big smiles on their faces. Shocked

The mist was bad that day but it did clear at times and the views were well worth the effort.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Lucky the Garda was not from Kerry. Carrantuohill! affraid
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:42 pm

Prison any day great chance to meet up with friends and family.. pirat
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:17 pm

Been up the reek twice with the family. The first time I was a gym rat at the time and only about 43 or so, but the bit at the top? Murder picture.

The 2nd time I only made the top because the midges on the plateau bit were eating me alive.

But sentencing someone to climb the mountain? Then we object to Irish jokes?
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down