GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Connacht U-21 Championship

+5
Loyal2TheRoyal
mossbags
Jayo Cluxton
Swinford2009
black&white
9 posters

Go down

Connacht U-21 Championship Empty Connacht U-21 Championship

Post  black&white Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:37 am

Some great results west of the Shannon yesterday in the U-21 semi-finals, with the sheep-stealers putting one over on Mayo, and Sligo beating Galway in Tuam (after extra time).
From the reports Sligo can thank Brian McGovern and David Maye for the parts they played. McGovern saved a penalty, and other than that kicked out well, and was solid all day. He's been previously tipped to take over the senior position in a few years time, and from yesterdays reports he certainly did his chances no harm.
Maye has been "one to watch" for a long time now. When I was playing U-14 & U-16 he used always be Curry's biggest threat, despite playing four years ahead of himself, and he appears to be fulfilling that potential now.

Great to see a final not involving either of the big 2 (last time was the same two teams in 1999) and hopefully Sligo can seal our first U21 title.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Connacht U-21 Championship Empty Re: Connacht U-21 Championship

Post  Guest Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:14 am

Mayo didn't do as expected against Leitrim either. I'm surprised to be honest, because Mayo have some excellent players, including A O'Shea although he hasn't been playing as well lately. However, Roscommon have a brilliant team, so I'm not overly worried. A melee at the end is well, don't like to see that at all.

Back to top Go down

Post  Swinford2009 Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:17 pm

when was the melee Esther? i was at the game but ran out the gate at the final whistle cause I was so pissed off at the refereeing!

fair play to Roscommon tho, they never gave up and stole it at the death.could be the year that the minor team of 06 finally comes through at u21. even if it is just a handful of players
Swinford2009
Swinford2009
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Mayo
Number of posts : 269

http://mikessportsfile.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:21 pm

I note all five Connaught teams won in the League today! Not being funny but I'd say its a long while since that last happened?
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:25 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I note all five Connaught teams won in the League today! Not being funny but I'd say its a long while since that last happened?

Not as long as last time all Leinster counties won I'd say

Last edited by mossbags on Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:27 pm

mossbags wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:I note all five Connaught teams won in the League today! Not being funny but I'd say its a long while since that last happened?

Not as long as last time all Leinster counties won

Does that include Galway??? No seriously - fair play with 5 out of 5 - I'd just love to know if/when it last happened.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Sligo -vs- Roscommon, hows it going in the west?
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:57 pm

Sligo 0-04 1-06 Roscommon 61min
Goal from Alan O’Hara after 56 min
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:41 pm

RMDrive wrote:Sligo 0-04 1-06 Roscommon 61min

Thats the final score.

So thats Roscommon and Tipperary into the semi-finals, with Dublin/Westmeath to join them there tomorrow and Cavan/Donegal on Wednesday.

The semis are Leinster vs Connacht and Munster vs Ulster. A win for the Dubs tomorrow and the media train will begin what with all the non traditional counties making the semis. The catalyst for Dublin could be Westmeath's half-forward line of Sharry, Egan and Lynam.

I'll go for a Cavan-Westmeath u21 final!
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:43 pm

Roscommon deserved the win, and had a lot of superb chances that went astray. The shooting from some of the players was ghastly, and they really should have won by more because they had plenty of possession throughout the game. Sligo only scored 1 point in the second half. Higgins and Carty caught some good ball in the middle, but the forwards should have done more with the ball.

Roscommon's first U-21 Connaught title since 1999, fair play to them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dougal Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:53 pm

what was the story with the score?on a good day shine would score twice that on his own.how much did he score today?
Dougal
Dougal
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan
Number of posts : 289

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
RMDrive wrote:Sligo 0-04 1-06 Roscommon 61min

Thats the final score.

So thats Roscommon and Tipperary into the semi-finals, with Dublin/Westmeath to join them there tomorrow and Cavan/Donegal on Wednesday.

The semis are Leinster vs Connacht and Munster vs Ulster. A win for the Dubs tomorrow and the media train will begin what with all the non traditional counties making the semis. The catalyst for Dublin could be Westmeath's half-forward line of Sharry, Egan and Lynam.

I'll go for a Cavan-Westmeath u21 final!

Thank God for that Connacht U-21 Championship Lol Connacht U-21 Championship Lol Connacht U-21 Championship Lol you ....
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:29 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:Roscommon deserved the win, and had a lot of superb chances that went astray. The shooting from some of the players was ghastly, and they really should have won by more because they had plenty of possession throughout the game. Sligo only scored 1 point in the second half. Higgins and Carty caught some good ball in the middle, but the forwards should have done more with the ball.

Roscommon's first U-21 Connaught title since 1999, fair play to them.

T'would have been infinitley better for Connacht football had Sligo won this one. A cousin of mine was in attendance and informs me that Roscommon, for all their potential, were woefully wasteful (Shine blazed frees everywhere) and Sligo got caught with a sucker punch goal near the end that left them a mountain to climb.

Couz confirms that Connacht, at Senior, is Leitrim's to lose.....He may have had a few post match pints though...

Last edited by Boxtyeater on Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:10 pm

They were very wasteful indeed, Boxty. I have heard an argument circulating that this Roscommon team has many of the players who were part of the Minor team in 2006. However, looking at the team sheet, I think only 4 of the players who played in that final in '06, were playing today. Back in 2006, people were saying that Roscommon will be a competitive team come 5 or 6 years. I don't think this will happen. One successful Minor team won't breed a successful Senior team unless there is a constant flow of good teams, or really good players coming through from underage. The thing is, Roscommon have only really had their Minor team in 2006, with no other strong teams coming through behind.

Roscommon football has seriously gone downhill these past few years. When John Maughan took charge, the abuse he got from the fans was incredible. Thinking back on that now, maybe it was the whole Frankie Dolan affair that angered them the most. He was a player who could have benefited Roscommon and provided some sort of leadership.

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:32 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:They were very wasteful indeed, Boxty. I have heard an argument circulating that this Roscommon team has many of the players who were part of the Minor team in 2006. However, looking at the team sheet, I think only 4 of the players who played in that final in '06, were playing today. Back in 2006, people were saying that Roscommon will be a competitive team come 5 or 6 years. I don't think this will happen. One successful Minor team won't breed a successful Senior team unless there is a constant flow of good teams, or really good players coming through from underage. The thing is, Roscommon have only really had their Minor team in 2006, with no other strong teams coming through behind.

Roscommon football has seriously gone downhill these past few years. When John Maughan took charge, the abuse he got from the fans was incredible. Thinking back on that now, maybe it was the whole Frankie Dolan affair that angered them the most. He was a player who could have benefited Roscommon and provided some sort of leadership.

Any team that burns another county flag on there team bus have a fooked up attitude...No wonder there gone backwards.... Connacht U-21 Championship Icon_razz
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:38 pm

mullins wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:They were very wasteful indeed, Boxty. I have heard an argument circulating that this Roscommon team has many of the players who were part of the Minor team in 2006. However, looking at the team sheet, I think only 4 of the players who played in that final in '06, were playing today. Back in 2006, people were saying that Roscommon will be a competitive team come 5 or 6 years. I don't think this will happen. One successful Minor team won't breed a successful Senior team unless there is a constant flow of good teams, or really good players coming through from underage. The thing is, Roscommon have only really had their Minor team in 2006, with no other strong teams coming through behind.

Any team that burns another county flag on there team bus have a fooked up attitude...No wonder there gone backwards.... Connacht U-21 Championship Icon_razz

You'll have to tell me that story Mullins, because I don't think I heard of it before! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:34 am

EstherMayo1951 wrote:

John Maughan epitomised to me, one fine day (in fact on several fine and not so fine days) all that is wrong in modern Ireland. A more foul-mouthed team Manager, as he effed and blinded his charges,( A regimental bully) you could not imagine...Boxty is no saint when verbal abuse/encouragement is deemed appropriate, but Maughan even superseded Boxty's most vehement abuses in terms punctuated with copious use of "Eff him or Eff you",,,Scandalous carry-on..
In short, for his bit of success? here and there and given my first hand observations of him in a Managerial role, he's one guy I wouldn't like to go on a World tour with...The Chief of Staff he's certainly not when diplomacy is called for... Connacht U-21 Championship Kopfschuettel

On the Dolan issue, with regard to leadership qualities...he wouldn't lead a gasping ass to a boghole... Connacht U-21 Championship Suspect
The most mischievous, egotistical pot-hunter since Crocodile Dundee...

I admire your tenacity to Western issues Essie and your beloved Mayo, but take it from an old sage that both Maughan and Dolan will not be recalled 10 years from now and most certainly not in the manner in which the legends of the game ie. Purcell. Jimmy Murray, McGarty, Kearnes and Gerry O'Malley will be revered forever.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:53 am

[quote="Boxtyeater"]
EstherMayo1951 wrote:

John Maughan epitomised to me, one fine day (in fact on several fine and not so fine days) all that is wrong in modern Ireland. A more foul-mouthed team Manager, as he effed and blinded his charges,( A regimental bully) you could not imagine...Boxty is no saint when verbal abuse/encouragement is deemed appropriate, but Maughan even superseded Boxty's most vehement abuses in terms punctuated with copious use of "Eff him or Eff you",,,Scandalous carry-on..
In short, for his bit of success? here and there and given my first hand observations of him in a Managerial role, he's one guy I wouldn't like to go on a World tour with...The Chief of Staff he's certainly not when diplomacy is called for... Connacht U-21 Championship Kopfschuettel

On the Dolan issue, with regard to leadership qualities...he wouldn't lead a gasping ass to a boghole... Connacht U-21 Championship Suspect
The most mischievous, egotistical pot-hunter since Crocodile Dundee...

I admire your tenacity to Western issues Essie and your beloved Mayo, but take it from an old sage that both Maughan and Dolan will not be recalled 10 years from now and most certainly not in the manner in which the legends of the game ie. Purcell. Jimmy Murray, McGarty, Kearnes and Gerry O'Malley will be revered forever.....

Wow, Boxty thanks for that assessment! He's married to my cousin, but I haven't met him before really. Not that I can remember because I would have been a babino!

All I know, that as a manager, some of his decisions were questionable when he was managing Mayo. The insight above has given me a new outlook, I didn't know he was fond of the 'F's' and the 'B's' that much Shocked As for Dolan, there weren't too many Rossie players who could match his skills, but then again, what does that say for the rest of the team?! Not that he would, Roscommon have too many problems for one man to fix. As you say, he's not the best. I think that's why the fans were mad, he has been one of their main players for a good few years, maybe they wanted him back to somewhat jumpstart their team?

Maughan has kind of kept low over the past while. He's helping out St. Gerald's College in Castlebar lately. I would rate Johnno a much better manager than Maughan. Johnno is good for the psychological aspect of players, something Maughan had far from perfected.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down