GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Ireland Football Final 2010- Cork vs Down

+16
Peter Solan the Great
bald eagle
mullins
Thomas Clarke
Loyal2TheRoyal
3inarow08
Joseff
bocerty
OMAR
Grenvile
bluearmy1
Real Kerry Fan
Jayo Cluxton
Boxtyeater
mossbags
clash-of-da-ash
20 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Who will win?

All Ireland Football Final 2010- Cork vs Down - Page 3 Tag1044%All Ireland Football Final 2010- Cork vs Down - Page 3 Tag10 44% 
[ 8 ]
All Ireland Football Final 2010- Cork vs Down - Page 3 Tag1056%All Ireland Football Final 2010- Cork vs Down - Page 3 Tag10 56% 
[ 10 ]

Total Votes : 18

All Ireland Football Final 2010- Cork vs Down - Page 3 Empty Re: All Ireland Football Final 2010- Cork vs Down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:19 pm

1. Alan Quirke (Valley Rovers)

2. Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)
3. Michael Shields (St Finbarr's)
4. Ray Carey (Clyda Rovers)
5. Noel O'Leary (Cill na Martra)
6. Graham Canty (Bantry Blues - Captain)
7. Paudie Kissane (Clyda Rovers)

8. Alan O'Connor (St Colum's)
9. Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)

10. Ciaran Shehan (Éire Óg)
11. Pearse O'Neill (Aghada)
12. Patrick Kelly (Ballincollig)
13. Daniel Goulding (Éire Óg)
14. Donncha O'Connor (Ballydesmond)
15. Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)

John Miskella loses out to Eoin Cadogan, no place for Colm O'Neill or Nicholas Murphy. Plenty of options on the line but is this Counihan's best team? He hasn't been sure all year and it looks as though he's still at a loss to figure it out.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

All Ireland Football Final 2010- Cork vs Down - Page 3 Empty Re: All Ireland Football Final 2010- Cork vs Down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:52 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:1. Alan Quirke (Valley Rovers)

2. Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)
3. Michael Shields (St Finbarr's)
4. Ray Carey (Clyda Rovers)
5. Noel O'Leary (Cill na Martra)
6. Graham Canty (Bantry Blues - Captain)
7. Paudie Kissane (Clyda Rovers)

8. Alan O'Connor (St Colum's)
9. Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)

10. Ciaran Shehan (Éire Óg)
11. Pearse O'Neill (Aghada)
12. Patrick Kelly (Ballincollig)
13. Daniel Goulding (Éire Óg)
14. Donncha O'Connor (Ballydesmond)
15. Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)

John Miskella loses out to Eoin Cadogan, no place for Colm O'Neill or Nicholas Murphy. Plenty of options on the line but is this Counihan's best team? He hasn't been sure all year and it looks as though he's still at a loss to figure it out.

Strange selection. Cadogan and O'Leary are both time-bombs on the right hand side of the back lines. An oddly structured forward line IMO, although it looks like Kerrigan will be deployed further outfield....Canty must be a concern but Counihan looks to be taking the Cody route on this one. I would have started both O'Neill and Murphy and excluded Sheehan and Walsh.... As set up: Verdict: An Dún......
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:58 pm

I reckon Canty will be given a right mincing on Saturday and even Sunday morning. Counihan will surely not risk the same as what happened to King Henry. If I was CC I would have to be sure that GC was 125% fit.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:09 am

100% fit would be enough I think. Razz
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:18 am

Real Kerry Fan wrote:100% fit would be enough I think. Razz

Oh I dunno about that .. these Down lads are good! Razz

Mind you I hear this morning he is to have further fitness tests before the game ... I wasn't wrong! Laughing
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:04 am

Surprised that Conor has omitted young O'Neill. Cadogan I reckon starting to man mark Marty Clarke.He would need to behave himself though. Nicholas Murphy will be brought on by half time. Young Walsh should do ok but for God sake dont try shooting! I think Pearse O'Neill is going to have a major influence in how the game pans out as his ball winning and runs were important when Cork were playing well last year. Overall midfield and both full back lines(dodgy) will really decide the match. Cork need to win in the middle as I think Benny etc. are better finishers than their Cork counterparts.A draw at 8/1 not a bad bet.Due one.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:39 am

It is a surprising selection alright. He is being very loyal to certain players while others who came on and did the business v Dublin may feel a little aggrieved that this is not recognised. For sure I think Colm O'Neill is better than an impact sub and should be in the front 6 before some others. Similarly Nicholas Murphy is a fine midfielder with bag loads of experience and may feel disappointed. Miskella too has been a great servant and loses out to a hurler - how will that go down? Can CC expect these guys to do the business form the bench everytime if needed? Only he knows for sure at this time - we will at 6ish on Sunday!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:42 am

To be fair to Cadogan, he is a very good footballer (and hurler) and would probably be recognised as one if concentrating on it as opposed to splitting his time between both disciplines.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:46 am

Roy predicting a Rebel win too:

Roy Keane is confident that Cork will end their 20-year wait for Sam Maguire Cup honours on Sunday.

The Ipswich Town manager and Mayfield native said: "The Rebel County, I never back against them. It's the greatest county in the world! For the football anyway, not the hurling."

He continued: "It'll be a good game, but the Rebels will be okay on Sunday. I don't know how may years it's been since they last won, but it's just a number and we'll change that on Sunday."
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:49 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:To be fair to Cadogan, he is a very good footballer (and hurler) and would probably be recognised as one if concentrating on it as opposed to splitting his time between both disciplines.

Not disputing that. But he nailed his colours mostly to the hurling mast and when they got knocked out he went footballing - taking a guy's place. Kind of thing that doesn't always go down well. Its OK if Canty is injured and he replaces him but when he is sidelining a popular and long term figure like Miskella then ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:43 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:To be fair to Cadogan, he is a very good footballer (and hurler) and would probably be recognised as one if concentrating on it as opposed to splitting his time between both disciplines.

Not disputing that. But he nailed his colours mostly to the hurling mast and when they got knocked out he went footballing - taking a guy's place. Kind of thing that doesn't always go down well. Its OK if Canty is injured and he replaces him but when he is sidelining a popular and long term figure like Miskella then ...

In the earlier party of the season Miskella did not look fully fit - In fact he looked to be developing a "corkeryish" phyisique. Don;t know if he has overcome this in late summer ?
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:56 am

OMAR wrote:
In the earlier party of the season Miskella did not look fully fit - In fact he looked to be developing a "corkeryish" phyisique. Don;t know if he has overcome this in late summer ?

He still looks sluggish, and was poor against Dublin - looks a totally different player to last year.

Cadogan was the right call in my opinion, and either he or Shields will be on Coulter.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:20 pm

Jaysus lads the likes of Joe McNally or Corkery or Seamus Darby or Johnny Egan wouldn't have got a look in if ye were in charge ..... Razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:30 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Jaysus lads the likes of Joe McNally or Corkery or Seamus Darby or Johnny Egan wouldn't have got a look in if ye were in charge ..... All Ireland Football Final 2010- Cork vs Down - Page 3 Icon_razz

Not at corner back, they wouldn't, Jayo!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:34 pm

A few corner boys there all the same TC!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:34 pm

Lets remember that great final from 1985. Kerry. C.Nelligan,P.O'Se,S.Walsh,M.Spillane,T.Doyle,T.Spillane,G.Lynch,J.O'Shea,A.O'Donovan,T.Dowd,Ogie Moran,P.Spillane,M.Shhehy,Bomber,G.Power-Sub J.Kennedy
Dublin
J.O'Leary,M.Kennedy,G.Hargan,R.Hazely,P.Canavan,N.McCaffrey,D.Synott,J.Roynayne,B.Mullins,B.Rock,T.Conroy,C.Redmond,J.Kearns,J.McNally.K.Duff. Subs-T.Carr and P.J. Buckley.

Reunion; 4.30 to 7.30 in Cassidys.Sat. Bi ann and meet the greats. Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Cadogan whilst a good footballer is a bit of a nut job is he not, even the Langers themselves think that much and with him and O'Leary on the same pitch at the same time there is the potential for things to go t!ts up for Cork. Fair play to Counihan for making the tough call - a bit like Harte did in 08 when he dropped Gourley - these things have to be done and there is no room for sentiment in sport

If this was Kildare v Cork many would fancy Kildare due to their physicality and yet Down overcame that obstacle a lot easier than many of us expected. I still fancy Down myself.

Down 1.11 0.10 Cork
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:39 pm

Heard the great Jimmy Barry Murphy on radio today and he said,from the information he got from the camp, is that Graham Canty will not take any part in the match on Sunday. Sad
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:02 pm

Aye well I was at the 1999, 2002 and 2005 finals but was only a nipper in '91 and only 3 years off a nipper in '94 but still remember that year and the team bringing Sam to the primary school. The county is totally buzzing but unfortunately putting a Down flag up is causing problems for a certain crowd who wrecked Aughlisnafin Primary School's Down display and bunting, burned the Down car in Ballymartin, and vandalised any car displaying a Down flag in Kilkeel. Just a pity that such a happy occasion has also reminded us of the sad divisions in our society up here....it's a disgrace really. Anyway can't wait for the match, should be fantastic.

Anyone see the front page of yesterday's Irish News? Don't think I've ever seen a more inspirational picture in GAA terms.
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down
Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:34 pm

I'm feeling more sick as each day goes by in a opportunity missed..`But would just like to wish both team and sets of supporters all the very best in the final. You both deserve to be there well then again maybe not, but at the end of the day regardless of the way matches went or the easy draw some may have got and poor officals, your there in the end and in fairness you both deserve it.
I'm going for Cork because they will see this as a huge chance to win Sam - the current panel will surely have a massive huger and equal desire to take Sam..Coldrick to ref it.Poor Ref can't wait for the Sunday game..What hotel will be the winning 1.. Sad
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:18 pm

Down have the players and the managerial team to win the all-ireland on Sunday, yet I wouldn't be surprised to see Cork win the game by 7-8 points. For me, this game will either be a narrow Down win, or Cork will get an early run on them and rack up a large points total.

For Down to win they will have to take the game to Cork from the start. Although Dublin, Kerry and Limerick have troubled Cork by retreating deep into their own half and bottling up the Cork forwards, I actually think that Down's best chance is to pressurise high up the field, and try to force Cork's backs into mistakes. Cork's defenders are not great on the ball, and if you can isolate them and force them to kick the ball, they will definitely cough up possession.

I watched the 1992 all-ireland final again recently, and saw the McHughs and Joyce McMullan put bigger, stronger opponents on the back foot. Danny Hughes, Poland and McComisky can do that to the Cork defence, in particular the half back line who, while great going forward, are not comfortable when being run at. Cork could give up a lot of frees, just as Dublin did in '92 when Manus Boyle scored 0-9.

Cork's poor forward line will give Down great hope. If Cork win on Sunday, it will probably be the poorest forward line ever to win an all-ireland. Seriously, I can't remember any side winning with such an average bunch, and even the still dubious Down defence will not be overawed by Mssrs Kerrigan, O'Neill and Co.

On the sideline, Down have as good a team as you will find. Donegal have been on the slide since they stupidly got rid of Brian McIvor, and Tyrone have never looked as sharp since Paddy Tally was given the road. And then there is wee James. Some people are just born winners, and James McCartan is one of those. All Ireland minor, sigerson, International rules, man of the match in an all-ireland final at the age of 21 - James McCartan is a winner.

So what about Cork? Well, if Cork can somehow recapture the form they had for most of last year, they could dominate Down. They have a powerful midfield, and are bigger and stronger all over the field. They are fast and, occasionally, can get streaky with scores. It is not at all far-fetched to envisage Cork dominating 70% of possession and just crushing Down with the sheer volume of their attacks. Kalum King and Fitzpatrick will need to have massive games to prevent this from happening.

Cork's forwards, average though they are, will fancy getting change out of the Down defence. Donnacha O'Connor's mobility will present Dan Gordon with a new type of challenge, and Daniel Goulding and Kerrigan have real pace. I think that the Cork forwards could well line out as selected, and we could see Kerrigan in the corner, as he spent much of the league there, and roasted Marc O'Se the first day against Kerry.

The game could be won in the last 15 minutes, and Cork certainly look like they have the stronger bench. Murphy, Kavanagh, O'Neill, Goold - all big strong men to bring on, and I don't think that Down have that sort of power to bring on late in the game.

Overall, it is possible to make a convincing case for either side. I'd love to think that Down can do it, but the sheer size of Cork and their ability to improve more than Down can is a concern. A Down win would be great for football and is a real possibility but, if pushed, I'm still not 100% convinced that they have improved as much as they appear to have and, despite their all round lack of skill, a Cork victory still looks the safer bet.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:01 am

Real Kerry Fan wrote:Lets remember that great final from 1985. Kerry. C.Nelligan,P.O'Se,S.Walsh,M.Spillane,T.Doyle,T.Spillane,G.Lynch,J.O'Shea,A.O'Donovan,T.Dowd,Ogie Moran,P.Spillane,M.Shhehy,Bomber,G.Power-Sub J.Kennedy
Dublin
J.O'Leary,M.Kennedy,G.Hargan,R.Hazely,P.Canavan,N.McCaffrey,D.Synott,J.Roynayne,B.Mullins,B.Rock,T.Conroy,C.Redmond,J.Kearns,J.McNally.K.Duff. Subs-T.Carr and P.J. Buckley.

Reunion; 4.30 to 7.30 in Cassidys.Sat. Bi ann and meet the greats. Very Happy

Had a few drinks with Tommy Dowd in my time in the shannon center seven kings..He was living of that goal he scored against the Dubs he probably still his Very Happy ..He could never convince me to play for Mc curtains in the football..But i did play for them in the senior championship in the hurling
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:02 am

Down: B McVeigh, D McCartan, D Gordon, D Rafferty, D Rooney, K McKernan, C Garvey, P Fitzpatrick, K King, D Hughes, M Poland, B Coulter, P McComiskey, J Clarke, M Clarke.

Down team announed and listed above. Unchanged from the semi-final.

Benny Coulter and Marty Clarke the only names I recognise off that team.

Says a lot about where Down have come from.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:21 pm

This Down team includes Minor All-Ireland winners in 1999 (Brendan Coulter, John Clarke, Ronan Murtagh, Ronan Sexton) and 2005 (Marty Clarke,Peter Fitzpatrick, Paul McComiskey, Conor Garvey etc.). It also includes players from two U21 All-Ireland finalist teams (Ambrose Rodgers, Conor Laverty, Mark Poland, Peter Fitzpatrick, Conor Maginn etc) and Hogan Cup-winning captain Kevin McKernan (Abbey 2006...Newry's darkest year) and Sigerson Cup winners like Dan McCartan . Down's underage system remains very strong....people talk about the Tyrone conveyor belt but Down have been steadily producing teams who have won or have come damn close to winning top underage titles (beaten by a last minute goal in last year's U21 decider, by Cork).

They may not have been well known all over Ireland but Down have spent the last decade nurturing some top quality talent and almost every player on the starting 15 has featured in an All-Ireland final already, at Minor, U21, Hogan, and Sigerson levels. Make no mistake, this Down team did not come from nowhere...the real shock would have been them never getting to an All-Ireland with the amount of talented young players Down have produced over the past 10 years or so.
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down
Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:16 pm

Looking forward to it i must say, hopefully Down can produce 70+ minutes of magic and celebrate the 60th anniversary in style.

Will be there with bells on, keep an eye out the the Bald one on the Hill!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next