GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clare vs Cork: All-Ireland Hurling Final 2013

+6
bocerty
Boxtyeater
RMDrive
The Puke
bronco
Loyal2TheRoyal
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Clare vs Cork: All-Ireland Hurling Final 2013 Empty Clare vs Cork: All-Ireland Hurling Final 2013

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:08 pm

The eve of hurling's biggest fixture - someone better start a thread.

Fifth meeting of the sides this season - Clare won the first three but in the one that maybe mattered most - the championship - they lost.

It's been an impressive turnaround by two sides who found themselves at the bottom of a very tight Division One not that long ago.

Cork's championship season to-date, wins over Clare, Kilkenny and Dublin and a Munster Final loss to Limerick in controversial circumstances.

Clare's championship season to-date, wins over Waterford, Laois, Wexford, Galway and Limerick and a Munster Semi-Final loss to Cork.

Arguably Cork would have won the Munster Final had they not lost Pat Horgan to a harsh red card just before HT. However the extra game with a Kilkenny team huffing and puffing all season long probably stood to them when it came to the Dublin game.

Every team needs luck and in Cork's case they've had it good and bad - they lost players to rugby and football at the start of the year and crucially lost a key man in Paudie O'Sullivan earlier on. But iffy refereeing in both Kilkenny and Dublin games has aided their cause too.

Key men for Cork this year - I've been impressed with Conor O'Sullivan at corner-back especially in those games when they did have an extra man. The midfield has a great energy about them - McLoughlin and Kearney are fiery - and up front Seamus Harnedy has been the find of the season. Pat Horgan has been a great leader in attack too.

Clare have improved a lot since losing to Cork and the extra games in the qualifiers have really stood to them. Let's not forget - Wexford scored a last minute goal to take them into extra-time. They really looked a good side in the semi-final though and are definitely improving.

Key players for Clare - in defence Domhnall O'Donovan is a stylish corner back and beside him David McInerney has been a rock at the heart of their defence. But the real threat is further up the field - Tony Kelly, John Conlon and Podge Collins. Three super forwards, Kelly and Collins in particular are explosive when they get the ball. Conlon is a ball winner and a finisher. Three forwards who I expect will have long careers.

All things considered - I think Clare are going to improve again and that might be enough to edge them over the line. Of course we can never be sure - in such a big game how players will handle the occasion - but lots of underage success will help these Clare players in that regard.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Clare vs Cork: All-Ireland Hurling Final 2013 Empty Re: Clare vs Cork: All-Ireland Hurling Final 2013

Post  bronco Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:37 pm

really enjoyed sundays final it really was another classic for the 2nd week in a row,the ref had a bad enough game but over the 70 i think it all evened it self out,have to say cork were great the way they just hung there never say die,out of the two teams cork can only improve hard to see how clare can get anymore out of the tank they were excellent yesterday but left croke park empty handed

bronco
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 50

Back to top Go down

Clare vs Cork: All-Ireland Hurling Final 2013 Empty Re: Clare vs Cork: All-Ireland Hurling Final 2013

Post  The Puke Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:24 pm

2 posts. for the love and honour of fcuk
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:12 pm

Jokeshop of a forum
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:15 pm

I genuinely feel that Clare have had their chance. Mainly because that's the impression I got from Davy afterwards. He looked like a man who had gone all-in and couldn't believe that it hadn't been good enough.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:51 pm

RMDrive wrote:I genuinely feel that Clare have had their chance. Mainly because that's the impression I got from Davy afterwards. He looked like a man who had gone all-in and couldn't believe that it hadn't been good enough.
His team were 5 points up with 10 minutes left before being sucker punched having done all the hurling, of course he was somewhat disappointed

Clare have improved game on game since the end of June, they have better and more natural hurlers than Cork, the fact that they have been able to do three or four high intensity ball work sessions for the last 3 months in the height of summers has helped them improve even further. People will say that Galway, Limerick and Cork under performed in the three games but that simply isn't the truth, Clare's workrate and harrying especially in the forwards has meant than each of these sides were under pressure in the middle third when they got on the ball and hadn't the time or space to build a platform and that is why Clare have dominated.

Clare have scope for improvement, the likes of Conlon, Galvin, Tony Kelly, Conor Mcgrath and Darach Honan all can perform better despite the side putting up 25 points. Cork may well win but I simply cannot see it, Horgan and to a lesser extent Cronin aside they lack real game changers they were very lucky that they got the benefit of the doubt in most decisions from the ref in the drawn game and they cannot rely on that happening again. Clare will perform at a similar level in the replay and I can't see Cork getting three goals again to keep them in the game. Clare will finish the job next weekend
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:54 pm

I agree - especially the point about game changing players. Funny enough, the Cork hurlers bear a similarity to their football counterparts - it's very hard to say exactly what has led to them to reaching this stage of the competition. With Clare it's easier, a young panel with lots of underage success and a very passionate manager. It's a lot easier to identify the game-changers in Clare's team. It's obvious that their work-rate, their tactics and the contributions of Kelly and Collins have been key components of their success this year. I find it harder to identify Cork's strengths this year.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:04 pm

There seems to be confusion tonight over the Cork starting 15 for Saturday. Some websites saying Jamie Coughlan has been dropped. Some saying it's Lorcan McLoughlin. Whoever it is, Cian McCarthy is in in their place.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:15 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:There seems to be confusion tonight over the Cork starting 15 for Saturday. Some websites saying Jamie Coughlan has been dropped. Some saying it's Lorcan McLoughlin. Whoever it is, Cian McCarthy is in in their place.
McCarthy adds a robustness to the Cork h/f line that Coughlan apparently lacks. JBM has been bluffed into this change by Davy as it stands. I'll be expecting Clare, buoyed by the U-21 success, to come out blazing, reefing a few long early deliveries toward Honan and viewing the outcome.

In 25' parlance, let's say Hearts being trumps:

Clare have the Five and Knave (Collins & Kelly).
Cork have the AOHearts and 10 (Horgan & Cronin)
Clare have the K&Q (Ryan & McGrath).....

Clare by a minimum of 3.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:51 am

beggars belief to read that the Clare Co board have fixed U21 club Championship Q/Fs for less than 24 hours after tomorrows replay.

You really wonder what eejits are responsible for making these decisions affraid affraid affraid 
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:01 pm

bocerty wrote:beggars belief to read that the Clare Co board have fixed U21 club Championship Q/Fs for less than 24 hours after tomorrows replay.

You really wonder what eejits are responsible for making these decisions  affraid affraid affraid 
There's probably a huge back log of hurling fixtures in Clare. It won't have been helped by an unexpected 3 week break between the draw and the replay.

You really can't comment on this unless you see the number of fixtures left and the time frame within within which to play them.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
bocerty wrote:beggars belief to read that the Clare Co board have fixed U21 club Championship Q/Fs for less than 24 hours after tomorrows replay.

You really wonder what eejits are responsible for making these decisions  affraid affraid affraid 
There's probably a huge back log of hurling fixtures in Clare. It won't have been helped by an unexpected 3 week break between the draw and the replay.

You really can't comment on this unless you see the number of fixtures left and the time frame within within which to play them.  
there obviously is a back log Loyal but is the solution to ask some guys to play 2 games - one of which will be the biggest game of their lives - in the space of 24 hrs.

As a club how would you feel if your best players are playing on empty after a gruelling game the day before, either way your stuffed, if Clare win tomorrow the players will be miles away (in their head) for Sundays game, if they lose tomorrow then they arent going to be in a good place either come Sunday.

Backlog or not i makes little sense, play them on under lights some evening during the week when the players have had a rest.

bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Pretty sure that Cratloe agreed to play the game without their county players on Sunday, they are in the running for senior honours in bkth hurling and football and don't want a further backlog. Lazy journalism at its best
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:38 pm

bocerty wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:

there obviously is a back log Loyal but is the solution to ask some guys to play 2 games - one of which will be the biggest game of their lives - in the space of 24 hrs.

As a club how would you feel if your best players are playing on empty after a gruelling game the day before, either way your stuffed, if Clare win tomorrow the players will be miles away (in their head) for Sundays game, if they lose tomorrow then they arent going to be in a good place either come Sunday.

Backlog or not i makes little sense, play them on under lights some evening during the week when the players have had a rest.

It's not even hurling, it's football.

When the schedule is already under huge pressure, then you can't expect fixtures to be moved around to accommodate one player. U21 games should be played on weekends as most of the players are away at college during the week.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:49 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
bocerty wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:

It's not even hurling, it's football.

When the schedule is already under huge pressure, then you can't expect fixtures to be moved around to accommodate one player. U21 games should be played on weekends as most of the players are away at college during the week.
I agree with Loyal. A Senior AI Hurling final should not result in the postponement of an U21 club football quarter final, especially in the last week of September.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:05 pm

Great watch that final replay really put last weekends football final to shame. The pace,skill levels seemed on a different level.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:56 pm

Great replay, fair play to both sides. Young O'Donnell will remember this day (and be remembered) forever.

Tip of my hat to The Puke, well done oul' son, you'll hardly be let onto, never mind make, the 6.30 flight to East Midlands in less than 20hrs time.....drunken 

Conor McGrath's goal was worth the admission price alone. Full house again today at HQ....Cool
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Highly exciting game, and Clare deserving winners - they should only get better.

Seemed to be more atmosphere for the later throw in time. Should maybe become a regular thing, and you could even knock it back another hour still.

Some great goals, though barely a defender in site. The Kilkenny or Cork sides of a few years ago would have devoured the pick of them.

Nash's stealing of yards is ridiculous, and surely the rule must be changed.

I'm sure the people of Clare love him, but I think that Davy is as unlikeable a character as there is in the game.

Well done to Clare and Puke.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Absolute cracker of a game, delighted for Clare. Outstanding level of skill on show. I'm happy for Davy Fitz, a divisive character but I think he's brilliant. Great to see such passion from a manager not like last week's victorious manager looking like somebody had pissed on his cornflakes throughout and after.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:29 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
I'm sure the people of Clare love him, but I think that Davy is as unlikeable a character as there is in the game.

Successful managers, outside of one's own county, are not not overtly concerned about what others think about them. Now there have been managers of un-successful counties who aren't liked within their county of engagement as well. Coughs...

I have good time for Davy, he loves the oul' game, Clare and all belonging to it. There is a potter below in Clare who has, in fact, created a statue of Davy that he has unveiled in his own garden, according to another forum....Shocked 
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

Successful managers, outside of one's own county, are not not overtly concerned about what others think about them. Now there have been managers of un-successful counties who aren't liked within their county of engagement as well. Coughs...

I have good time for Davy, he loves the oul' game, Clare and all belonging to it. There is a potter below in Clare who has, in fact, created a statue of Davy that he has unveiled in his own garden, according to another forum....Shocked 
And there are plenty of successful managers who are well liked and respected outside their own county.  I know there are plenty who like Davy and view his rudeness, obnoxiousness, ill-temper and poor sportsmanship as passion, but I'm not among them.  Even the first words out of his mouth in his interview at the banquet were a pop at his critics - no class whatsoever.  But his team had plenty of class, so he'll be happy tonight.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:50 pm

Davy got a bit of a pasting from all and sundry after Waterford got a trimming from Kilkenny a few years ago.
It was hardly his fault that he ran into that juggernaut and it seems he took it badly at the time.

Horses for courses and all that, but I recall Cody chopping off Marty Morrissey's legs there at the banquet
(in victory IIRC). I don't find Davy any of the things you refer to. Granted he appears to come across as some kind of Kenysian soothsayer, screwing up the face and looking serious, while heaving great sighs of distress..... It's his make-up I guess.

I suppose we should be thankful, as license payers, that we at least got to hear the winning manager.
It could have been a bit embarrassing if Tyrone had prevailed in the football. pale 
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
I suppose we should be thankful, as license payers, that we at least got to hear the winning manager.
It could have been a bit embarrassing if Tyrone had prevailed in the football. pale 
I'm sure RTE could have filled in the time with a few tasteless jokes at his expense Wink 
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:35 pm

This Clare team "could" become a replica of the last Kilkenny team, endless.
They're all very young, any of 20 could have done the job today and they have 3 X U-21's as back up.

Another factor, that will loosen any inhibitions they may harbour, is the fact they have won one. There's no monkey or castigations of "nearly men" on their backs, thus enabling them to play as you go....

The absolute bulk of them are in their early 20's and there's rakes of them bulling to get through.
Success breeds success and all that...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:43 am

Would not be a big Davey fan but I’m sure he gives a s***!  I love the way he says its not about him and then is last man up to collect Liam – never saw any other manager climb the steps! And run to the Hill. And walk into the banquet with it.  Pillar Caffrey school of humility.  It’s all about you as the song says!

But in fairness to the man he has a panel of players there – mostly very young – who would die for him.  And they play lovely hurling too.  20 days ago they were at least 6 points better than Cork and drew.  Today they were equally matched but won by six.  Funny old game.  Delighted for Clare – and Brendan B – horse of a man. They can dominate for the next 5 years if they want it badly enough.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next