GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cork - All-Ireland Ladies Football Champions

+3
Thomas Clarke
Grenvile
Scorpio
7 posters

Go down

Cork - All-Ireland Ladies Football Champions Empty Cork - All-Ireland Ladies Football Champions

Post  Scorpio Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:54 pm

Congratulations to the Cork Ladies football team for a great win yesterday. For a Cork supporter it was scary watching because of Monaghan's ability to apparently score at will and their tight marking on the Cork players which meant that if a ball was not controlled first time, it was lost.

Still the Cork backs, themselves, put on their best ever display and Nollaig Cleary took advantage to the full of the Monaghan goalkeeper's mistake. With the minor team also winning their All-Ireland, the future is still bright for Cork Ladies football.
Scorpio
Scorpio
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Cork
Number of posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Cork - All-Ireland Ladies Football Champions Empty Re: Cork - All-Ireland Ladies Football Champions

Post  Grenvile Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:41 pm

Thought the Cork Fullback was brilliant. Cork were a lot stronger physically which stood to them. The Monaghan side in the main were speedsters with the two blonde corner forwards and the number 10 in particular all looking capable of cutting a team to shreds with their pace if allowed. Cork stuck to their task well though.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Cork - All-Ireland Ladies Football Champions Empty Re: Cork - All-Ireland Ladies Football Champions

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:00 pm

At the risk of becoming a pariah, I have to admit to not seeing any attraction in this as a sport. Watching ladies' football, soccer, rugby, camogie and anything else similar, is just about the last way that I'd care to spend an afternoon.

I'm sceptical enough about women's sport at the best of times. Tennis, of course, is the ultimate female sport in terms of earning power, and what a disgrace it is to see the likes of a part-time player like Serena Williams earning exactly the same as Novak Djokevic or Rafa Nadal, purely because she has nothing to beat.

But tennis is not as bad as field sports, as at least there is an element of grace to go with the grunt. Similarly, if hard pushed, I could watch a bit of ice-skating or gymnastics, where there is style and charm to go alongside the effort, but ladies' football has no such redeeming qualities.

To me, ladies' football is essentially a bunch of eager young women, dressed like men, huffing and puffing their way around a field, at a speed similar to a boys' U14 match. It is red-faced girls, with dirty hair and mouths distorted by coloured gumshields, belting into each other in the name of sport. The girls that play it obviously enjoy it, so good luck to them, but I see no appeal in it.

So, well done to Cork on their victory, but I'm glad I missed it.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:10 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:At the risk of becoming a pariah, I have to admit to not seeing any attraction in this as a sport. Watching ladies' football, soccer, rugby, camogie and anything else similar, is just about the last way that I'd care to spend an afternoon.

I'm sceptical enough about women's sport at the best of times. Tennis, of course, is the ultimate female sport in terms of earning power, and what a disgrace it is to see the likes of a part-time player like Serena Williams earning exactly the same as Novak Djokevic or Rafa Nadal, purely because she has nothing to beat.

But tennis is not as bad as field sports, as at least there is an element of grace to go with the grunt. Similarly, if hard pushed, I could watch a bit of ice-skating or gymnastics, where there is style and charm to go alongside the effort, but ladies' football has no such redeeming qualities.

To me, ladies' football is essentially a bunch of eager young women, dressed like men, huffing and puffing their way around a field, at a speed similar to a boys' U14 match. It is red-faced girls, with dirty hair and mouths distorted by coloured gumshields, belting into each other in the name of sport. The girls that play it obviously enjoy it, so good luck to them, but I see no appeal in it.

lol!

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:39 pm

TC sitting on the fence again

Watched the Solheim cup highlights last night
Thought it fairly decent stuff - especially Peterson making 3 birdies to beat Michelle Wie

Womens athletics at the top level is watchable - Other than that TC may have a point
Womens football is a more structured outlet for those who like to power walk around Suburbia

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:At the risk of becoming a pariah, I have to admit to not seeing any attraction in this as a sport. Watching ladies' football, soccer, rugby, camogie and anything else similar, is just about the last way that I'd care to spend an afternoon.

If you don't want to watch women's ' Gaelic Games, then of course you're perfectly entitled to not do so. You must have watched it once to form an opinion, but how long ago was that, I wonder? There was a time when I had somewhat the same opinion as yourself, but since then the skill level and the athleticism of the players has improved to the point when it's now compatible to men's senior football. I can assure you that the girls who played for Monaghan and Cork yesterday were very tidy and neat in appearance and did not have red faces or dirty hair.
Scorpio
Scorpio
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Cork
Number of posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:30 am

It put me off when I saw one of the girls wearing Marigold gloves one day ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:52 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:It put me off when I saw one of the girls wearing Marigold gloves one day ....

Maxi Curran (One of Jum McGuinness's deputies) trained the Donegal ladies for a while.
His attempts at introducing a sweeper system met with a lot of confusion

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:02 am

Finally, a reason to watch camogie.  Just imagine how much more bearable this game would be if they were all blonde and suntanned, wore denim shorts & vest tops, dispensed with the helmets and stopped all the hitting & running, preferring instead to just stroll around the field handing bottles of water to each other.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cork - All-Ireland Ladies Football Champions Goodlooks
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Not sure about the vest tops TC, surely they could do away with them altogether!

Seriously though, AFL players continue to wear ultra tight tops & extremely short (& tight) shorts to entice ladies to their games and it works. Playing to the opposite sex has its advantages at times!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Finally, a reason to watch camogie.  Just imagine how much more bearable this game would be if they were all blonde and suntanned, wore denim shorts & vest tops, dispensed with the helmets and stopped all the hitting & running, preferring instead to just stroll around the field handing bottles of water to each other.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cork - All-Ireland Ladies Football Champions Goodlooks

That's the lovely Katrina Parrock, out injured at the moment. A wrist injury I gather...Razz 
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:04 am

That Wexico team have some contenders for 'Lovely Girl' on there, Mags D'Arcy is a fine figure of a lady!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:15 pm

You see, this is the sort or promotion that all sports need. Forget NSG and his slicing and dicing of tiers every other week. Give people what they really want!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Can't really say hurlers wearing short cut demin shorts and extra tight vests would do it for me TC! Add a dodgy 'tash and you'd think you're in the Blue Oyster!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:19 pm

bald eagle wrote:Can't really say hurlers wearing short cut demin shorts and extra tight vests would do it for me TC! Add a dodgy 'tash and you'd think you're in the Blue Oyster!

Never underestimate the power of the pink pound, BE. As you said, the AFL have been doing it for years!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down