GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Euro 2012 Thread

+29
GAA-Fan
Thomas Clarke
Podger
Parouisa
hipster 2
samin12
OMAR
mugsys_barber
mullins
black&white
SamiPremier08
Real Kerry Fan
Grenvile
Loyal2TheRoyal
rich dublin
RMDrive
Peter Solan the Great
bocerty
Joseff
patrique
Boxtyeater
Larry Murphy
JimWexford
hurlingguru
3inarow08
Jayo Cluxton
Sawyer
clash-of-da-ash
The Puke
33 posters

Page 28 of 29 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Go down

Euro 2012 Thread - Page 28 Empty Re: Euro 2012 Thread

Post  patsymc Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:14 pm

didnt see that coming
patsymc
patsymc
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

london
Number of posts : 178

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:20 pm

The Puke wrote:

It is shaping up to be a very good European Championship, none of the big names have failed to make it and should make for a great month or so's entertainment. I think people are guilty of talking down our side and talking up the respective merits of other sides based on very little. Take Spain, Germany, Holland and Italy out of it and there is very little between the rest of the remaining sides. Russia have a very nice team but lack the consistency of the four named above and are probably ahead of the rest.

Last edited by The Puke on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:20 pm

Parouisa wrote:I would have no great fear of Italy Puke. Don't think they are the strong international team they used to be. I would not like to face Croatia. They are a very good side technically

Last edited by The Puke on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:21 pm

The Puke wrote:
Parouisa wrote:I would have no great fear of Italy Puke. Don't think they are the strong international team they used to be. I would not like to face Croatia. They are a very good side technically.

Italy under Prandelli are a far better side than the one we faced in Qualifying for the 2010 WC and are playing some very nice inventive football. In the likes of Abate, Balotelli, Giovinco, Ranocchia they have some very good players coming through who will make a big contribution added to the experience of Buffon, Pirlo, Di Rossi, Chiellini etc. They are a far better balanced side that Croatia who are far too reliant on the likes of Srna and Modric to create and lack an out and out goalscorer. Greece supposedly completely outplayed them in Athens last month.

Write Italy off at your peril, they are building nicely

Hate to say I told ye so. Yet again Pariousa being found out
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:53 pm

The Puke wrote:
The Puke wrote:
Parouisa wrote:I would have no great fear of Italy Puke. Don't think they are the strong international team they used to be. I would not like to face Croatia. They are a very good side technically.

Italy under Prandelli are a far better side than the one we faced in Qualifying for the 2010 WC and are playing some very nice inventive football. In the likes of Abate, Balotelli, Giovinco, Ranocchia they have some very good players coming through who will make a big contribution added to the experience of Buffon, Pirlo, Di Rossi, Chiellini etc. They are a far better balanced side that Croatia who are far too reliant on the likes of Srna and Modric to create and lack an out and out goalscorer. Greece supposedly completely outplayed them in Athens last month.

Write Italy off at your peril, they are building nicely

Chill out, stop all this Parouisa found out crap! Everyone entitle to an opinion or sorry is your name adolf?

Hate to say I told ye so. Yet again Pariousa being found out
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:03 pm

Yeah I stand guilty of talking down our side - how wrong they proved me. Or was it you? Russia too did the business for you. And well done for picking out Holland as well - inspired. I doubt many would have picked Germany, Italy and Spain among the semi finalists. You really know your stuff. You remind me of David McWilliams and all these economists who saw it all coming yet do not seem to have made a packet on it. As me psychiatrist always says 'if you back all the horses one of them will win'.

The biggest question mark over the Italians was always going to be their reaction to the scandal. I thought it would do for them but in fairness to them it has galvanised the squad. They were excellent tonight in every area. The Germans were poor and got more disjointed as the game went on and the confidence drained out of them. Pirlo was magnificent - simply magnificent. And Balotelli delivered big time. You never know what you are going to get with Mario but he delivered big time tonight. The Italians fully deserved their win and have every chance in the final. I can't see Spain finding a way through their defence with last night's tactics.

ps I can see Nadal going out of Wimbledon early.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:32 am

Now that puts Ireland's performance in perspective. England 5th best in Europe(drew with Italy) followed by Ireland at 6th as both finalists topped our group.Bonus for John,Trapp and the lads. Wink
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Euro 2012 Thread - Page 28 Empty A battle of the Dons.....

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:26 pm

The two most famous Dons go head to head on Sunday.....

Euro 2012 Thread - Page 28 Don-co10

Versus

Euro 2012 Thread - Page 28 Don-qu10
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:22 pm

heres a few questions for those of you who know your soccerball.

During the group stages if every game in the group finished 1-1 how would they decide which two teams go through given points and goal difference would be the same for each team?

In the penalty shoot out between Spain and Portugal Alves went to take penalty number 3 for Portugal instead of 4, had he of taken the penalty what would the outcome have been, do they have to be taken in the order given to the ref beforehand or does it matter?

And lastly, in a penalty shoot out does a penalty count if it hits the post/crossbar then hits the keeper and goes in. I was under the impression the ball had to go in directly without touching another player however a mate of mine argues differently?

bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:40 pm

bocerty wrote:heres a few questions for those of you who know your soccerball.

During the group stages if every game in the group finished 1-1 how would they decide which two teams go through given points and goal difference would be the same for each team?

In the penalty shoot out between Spain and Portugal Alves went to take penalty number 3 for Portugal instead of 4, had he of taken the penalty what would the outcome have been, do they have to be taken in the order given to the ref beforehand or does it matter?

And lastly, in a penalty shoot out does a penalty count if it hits the post/crossbar then hits the keeper and goes in. I was under the impression the ball had to go in directly without touching another player however a mate of mine argues differently?

The answer to the 3rd question is yes, it does count. Perhaps your friend has this in mind, one of the greatest games ever played... (the relevant penalty is at 4m50s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYI8AjhYZew
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:03 pm

To answer your first question, the toss of a coin/names drawn out then decides as far as i am aware. Ireland qualified from their group in Italia 90 via this method when they had the same score difference as the dutch and had drawn with them in the group. It was nearly a 4 way tie but England managed to beat Egypt in the last game.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:23 pm

Penalty takers are submitted to the ref and must be taken in that order. If the wrong player takes it it doesn't count - assuming the ref cops it.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:25 pm

I'm drinking a fine Vino Nobile di Montepulciano** (under advice from OMAR) while smoking Pall Malls @ €9.40 a carton (courtesy of a delivery from Lanzarote)...

Has the ball been thrown in yet?
Whom should I support?

I'm more drawn to Don Corleone's style of "problem solving" so for me it's Forza Italia.....

**This may or not be true...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:30 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
Whom should I support?

I'm more drawn to Don Corleone's style of "problem solving" so for me it's Forza Italia.....

I'm a Quixote man, one of history's great dreamers and adventurers.

2-0 Spain - they are well on their way to proving themselves the greatest international side of all time.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Hope jim Mcguinness is watching this, might make him think twice about having 2 fellows standing up front scratching their proverbials
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
I'm a Quixote man, one of history's great dreamers and adventurers.

2-0 Spain - they are well on their way to proving themselves the greatest international side of all time.

It's on...Musn't miss this. Suspect
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:47 pm

OMAR wrote:Hope jim Mcguinness is watching this, might make him think twice about having 2 fellows standing up front scratching their proverbials

You see, you shouldn't have been so aghast last year when he played the lone striker against Dublin. The man was on the right track, and just needed to go that extra step!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Hail the greatest international side the world has ever seen.

They are, quite simply, the best there has been.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:47 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Hail the greatest international side the world has ever seen.

Seems like "tired" was more a case of " pacing "

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:56 pm

OMAR wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:Hail the greatest international side the world has ever seen.

Seems like "tired" was more a case of " pacing "

Yes, as I pointed out earlier on the thread, their control of games is phenomenal. As Patrique would have said, they were handing out 1-0 'thrashings'. 10 knockout games against the best sides in the world without conceding a goal is truly incredible. But tonight they upped it, and showed what they can really do when they want to.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:07 pm

Hmmmm. Brazil of 1970...Jairzinho, Pele, Gerson, Tostao, Rivelhino, Carlos Alberto etc.,...Flair, flamboyance and massive skill....

Not quite. It's a field sport not a chess-board. Apparently Spain are good though.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:

Hmmmm. Brazil of 1970...Jairzinho, Pele, Gerson, Tostao, Rivelhino, Carlos Alberto etc.,...Flair, flamboyance and massive skill....

Not quite. It's a field sport not a chess-board. Apparently Spain are good though.

Brazil did it for 3 weeks that summer Boxty - they were in disarray before, and the side didn't push on afterwards. Spain have been the best team in the world for 5-6 years now, and no-one else has been close.

The names you mentioned are legends, but several of the Spanish players are every bit as good as them (bar Pele).
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Brazil did it for 3 weeks that summer Boxty - they were in disarray before, and the side didn't push on afterwards. Spain have been the best team in the world for 5-6 years now, and no-one else has been close.

The names you mentioned are legends, but several of the Spanish players are every bit as good as them (bar Pele).

Not wishing to drag this thread along any further TC, let me say I'm more an aficionado of flamboyance, spontaneity and off-the-cuff play than methodical, system riven machinations...... Wink
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

Not wishing to drag this thread along any further TC, let me say I'm more an aficionado of flamboyance, spontaneity and off-the-cuff play than methodical, system riven machinations...... Wink

Boxty getting sucked deeper into the soccer thread - caught on the Spanish 'passing carousel'.

A fair point though on the Brazilians, and I suppose my favourite sports team of all team is, after all, the Brazil 1982 team of Zico, Socrates, Junior et al, the last bunch of truly great, carefree entertainers from that country. They, like the 1970s side were magical, but I think that the Spanish are too, albeit in a modern way.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:43 pm

I maintain what I would call "a loose commercial relationship" with a tobacco purveyor in Lanzarote...

6 minutes ago I received an e-mail which I cannot sufficently edit to re-post....Along the lines of :

"Meester Boxty, my fren, join moi amigos and moi in celebrating our victoriee. Our joy is your joy. I weesh you were heer now, what fun we would have....For you, Meester Boxty, I am sending you my favourite ceegars*.....Your fren XXXXX"

*This involves other folk, naturally...

What a guy....

Viva Espana....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content