GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Louth v Meath

+26
Grenvile
Real Kerry Fan
patrique
Boxtyeater
Loyal2TheRoyal
JimWexford
The Puke
OMAR
Peter Solan the Great
gaamad1996
GAAGenious
RMDrive
Dougal
Shinners
Dr.Shephard
hogan2010
hurlingguru
GAA-Fan
3inarow08
mid-mon man
mullins
bocerty
Bermuda_Bomber
Sawyer
mossbags
Jayo Cluxton
30 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Louth v Meath - Page 5 Empty Re: Louth v Meath

Post  3inarow08 Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:27 am

mossbags wrote:
3inarow08 wrote:The latest joke down here:

Breaking news: The CCCC Held an emergency meeting straight after the Leinster Final and after reviewing the Meath goal and subsequent attacks on the referee, they have decided to suspend Paul Galvin for another month.

And Mossbags, do you ever sleep???

Galvin had it coming in fairness Triona and no I never sleep

You need a fair bit of beauty sleep though.
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry
Number of posts : 793

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:28 am

I didn't blame Sheridan for anything that happened yesterday with the goal, after all it's the officials who fecked up big time, but he's certainly not covering himself in glory with his comments and behaviour since it. Some quotes from him in today's Times:

“It was well-worked and it was a definite goal. People are saying I threw it in, but I was heading for the line and I just dropped the ball and it was in the net. I got it and the lad just pushed me into the net.

“I tried to do whatever I could to hit it and the goal was given, simple as that.

“I was pushed in over the line so it should have been a penalty anyway. I think it was a perfect goal.”

How the fcuk does he work that out?!
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:12 am

3inarow08 wrote:
mossbags wrote:
3inarow08 wrote:The latest joke down here:

Breaking news: The CCCC Held an emergency meeting straight after the Leinster Final and after reviewing the Meath goal and subsequent attacks on the referee, they have decided to suspend Paul Galvin for another month.

And Mossbags, do you ever sleep???

Galvin had it coming in fairness Triona and no I never sleep

You need a fair bit of beauty sleep though.

Hi triona. You got that one wrong. They have decided to suspend the whole Kerry team Louth v Meath - Page 5 Icon_smile
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:24 am

I agree MMM Sheridan's comments after the game were laughable. Did he forget about the cameras??

I don't buy into this whole "Oh if it happened in the first minute there wouldn't be a word about it" Of course there wouldn't because Louth would have had time to react and undo the injustice. Ben O'Conner's "point" v Waterford yesterday should never have been, if it was waved wide could the game still have been a draw? Of course it could! The fact is it happened with the last move of the game and Louth had no time to react so they were robbed in the worst sense of the word. If the ref/umpire had made the right decison Louth WOULD have won the game.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:11 am

Jonsmith wrote:I agree MMM Sheridan's comments after the game were laughable. Did he forget about the cameras??

I don't buy into this whole "Oh if it happened in the first minute there wouldn't be a word about it" Of course there wouldn't because Louth would have had time to react and undo the injustice. Ben O'Conner's "point" v Waterford yesterday should never have been, if it was waved wide could the game still have been a draw? Of course it could! The fact is it happened with the last move of the game and Louth had no time to react so they were robbed in the worst sense of the word. If the ref/umpire had made the right decison Louth WOULD have won the game.

Fair enough JS but then one has to gauge "how much time have they to adjust"
so who decides what the time period is - How long does it take to recover from an unfair goal - one minute/five minutes/ten minutes/15 minutes.
It becomes very subjective.

There must be dozens of games where late scores were incorrectly awarded or ruled out. I recall an Ulster Champioship game in 2007 where Kevin Cassidy got a late goal against Armagh where he had time to put a tent up in the small square. i'm sure the Tyrone lads will remember the last kick in 1995. In yesterdays game as you suggest
there was time to recover from O Connors point but what about O halpins goal which was overcarried.

So IMO refs decision stands. Fine maybe we need to learn from it and have "Referees as umpires for big games" and more responsibility on umpires to speak to the ref and protocol for the ref to take a "time out" to consult with his umpires.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  hurlingguru Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:24 am

Lads forget about the replay. Louth were wining by a point and IMO won by a point, therefore they should be handed over the cup but that will never happen.

hurlingguru
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Carlow
Number of posts : 1133

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:26 am

I know what you mean Omar, it's a fine line and if a replay is decided it could open a can of worms that would be a thorn in the side of the game for ever more. There's arguments for both sides but there's no doubt that Louth were at the extreme end of the scale in terms of decisions affecting the outcome of the match. Wondering how long the "adjusting time" should be wouldn't be an issue here as no matter where the line is set Louth were left in the worst case scenario. An illegitimate goal and zero time to react. The danger is setting the precedent.

The best solution is to leave it up to Meath to decide if they want to offer a replay. The justice of the situation should be decided by a sporting gesture as opposed to a ruling. That way it would leave the situation without a bitter taste. (If that's possible at this stage)

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:06 pm

Another point on this is just because it was Louth that fell the wrong side of this call there seems to be a huge "sympathy vote".

Just because they have not won Leinster since De valera was in nappies doesn't make what happended yesterday any more or any less of an issue.

If yesterdays game has seen Louth get the rub of the green on a bad call and if Dublin or Meath had been the "victims" then the I'd say the majority of people would be adopting the "serve them right" "play to the whistle" stance.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:37 pm

Omar you seem unusually rigid on this matter... Did you have a bad experience with a Louthman lately?! Yes Louth are getting sympathy because they were about to end a long famine in Leinster which was cruelly robbed from them, what's wrong with that? Had it been Dublin or Meath in the same position it would have not made it any less of an injustice. History and tradition are a huge element going into every game and are a part of the reactions to every game. People showing more sympathy to Louth than they would have to another team doesn't change the fact that Meath should not have won the game. You seem to be dealing with a lot of comparisons and hypothetical situations..

Apparently Sean Boylan was struck after the game?? What a disgrace..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Jonsmith wrote:Omar you seem unusually rigid on this matter... Did you have a bad experience with a Louthman lately?! Yes Louth are getting sympathy because they were about to end a long famine in Leinster which was cruelly robbed from them, what's wrong with that? Had it been Dublin or Meath in the same position it would have not made it any less of an injustice. History and tradition are a huge element going into every game and are a part of the reactions to every game. People showing more sympathy to Louth than they would have to another team doesn't change the fact that Meath should not have won the game. You seem to be dealing with a lot of comparisons and hypothetical situations..

Apparently Sean Boylan was struck after the game?? What a disgrace..

Well it is true that I spend two years living in Dublin with my car parked on the street and it was never touched but one day in Dundalk and someone broke the window and stole a bagful of dirty soccer Kit Louth v Meath - Page 5 Icon_evil
but come to think of it I once had £50 robbed from the staff digs in a hotel where I had a summer job by a lad from Navan.

Well aside from all that I just can't see how we can set any sory of precedent because it all becomes subjective. Only solution as you say is for Meath to offer a replay but then pressure will come on for replays everytime there is a dodgy call. So I just feel we should focus on a longer term solution rather than a band-aid for one incident
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:18 pm

Louth calling for a replay is just compounding the impression (that was created yesterday) they are bad losers.
Up until the goal, Louth seemed to be getting a lot of favourable decisions from the referee, at least three of which resulted in points for Louth. If they want to claim that the mistake for the goal should be overturned, then surely these decisions balance it out.
How about the gouging incident in 2nd half? Not one word in any media outlet about that today - disgraceful. A Louth player intentionally commits an offence that could potentially blind the victim, and not a word. You can guarantee it wouldn't be the case if the player was't from a "weaker" county
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  CLG Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
Don't care what anyone says about Louth supporters, absolute thugs and no room for that in any part of society.

Don't you fu*king dare generalise all Louth fans as thugs. If you want to play the bad winner which is exactly what you are, go ahead, thats your own business, but don't be so stupid and ignorant as to claim that all Louth supporters or the majority of them are thugs, that is true of no county. And yes, every county including Louth (and Meath) have supporters they're not proud of, there's nothing you, me, or anyone else can do about that. 25,000 Louth supporters left Croke Park yesterday devastated but didnt cause any problems to Meath fans, indeed many, including myself, chatted to them about what happened, but because of the actions of a few, certain short-sighted people like yourself decide "Ah, its the whole lot of them", which is absolute bullshit. Cop yourself on Loyal.

CLG
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Number of posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Bermuda_Bomber Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:05 pm

At this point Meath will be completely villified if they don't offer a replay. I don't think it's right that they have to make the decision, but they do and that's that. So I hope they offer the replay, it will be a huge gesture that might stop so many people (only a couple on here mind you), having a go at Meath for something the ref done.

At the end of the day, I'd be very surprised if the powers that be in Croke Park will allow it. If there is a replay, I have no doubt that with a section of both supporters there will be a very bitter taste that really could spark into trouble. The potential for something kicking off will be much greater.

A replay would be the fairest thing. But Croke Park won't award it as it sets a dangerous precedent for the future, I imagine teams would end up taking decisions to court again and use this incident as the precedent. I hope Meath offer it and I'd like to see it awarded. But security would have to be much better if it does go ahead!
Bermuda_Bomber
Bermuda_Bomber
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Meath
Number of posts : 73

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:32 pm

If Louth get a replay then Galway should get a replay against Wexford because no way was that a penalty.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:44 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote:If Louth get a replay then Galway should get a replay against Wexford because no way was that a penalty.

I can't see how people can continue to make abstract comparisons like this. Louth had NO time to react to what happened them unlike Galway. There is no room for ifs ands in this case if the referee had done the correct thing there would have been a free out and barring an own goal or point from the free the game was over. In any other game you cannot conclusively say that the outcome would have been different but here it was black and white: the incorrect refereeing decision decided the outcome of the game.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  hurlingguru Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:23 pm

No replay confirmed

hurlingguru
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Carlow

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Solan the Great Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Statement from Coiste na Mi

Coiste na Mi has today received a copy of the referee’s report on Sunday’s Leinster Final, Lu v An Mhi. The referee has indicated in his report that he blew the whistle for a penalty but changed his mind and awarded the goal by Joe Sheridan when he saw that the ball had crossed the line.

Coiste na Mi has also been advised today by Coisde Ceannais na gComortaisi Laighean that, in accordance with Riail 6.41 T.O. and acting on the Referee’s report of the above game…An Mhi are the winners.

Having considered all aspects of the game and subsequent suggestions, as well as the Referees report and the Comhairle Laighean communication, Coiste na Mi, wishes to confirm that, as far as it is concerned, this is the end of the matter.

Coiste na Mi wishes to express its disappointment at the manner in which we and the team have been placed in such an unenviable position over the past 2 days.

S Ó Craobháin (Cyril Crevin – Meath GAA Secretary)

A Penalty of all things. Meath truely are cheats.
Peter Solan the Great
Peter Solan the Great
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Mayo
Number of posts : 172

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:43 pm

Peter Solan the Great wrote:Statement from Coiste na Mi

As honest a reflection as you could get from the Meath Board. The referee gave it, the goal stood and Meath received the Delaney Cup. What more is there to discuss here?....Time to move on. It was hard luck on Louth but when they have a Brian Lenihan moment of "mature reflection" they might see that they have only themselves to blame.

This continuing accusation of Meath cheating is pathetic as it smells of bitterness........
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:09 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:

As honest a reflection as you could get from the Meath Board. The referee gave it, the goal stood and Meath received the Delaney Cup. What more is there to discuss here?....Time to move on. It was hard luck on Louth but when they have a Brian Lenihan moment of "mature reflection" they might see that they have only themselves to blame.

This continuing accusation of Meath cheating is pathetic as it smells of bitterness........

what he was giving the penalty for is anyones guess - i met the ref today twice had i known his report contained this dung i would have asked him WTF he was giving a penalty for.

bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:12 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:

Boxty would you be as keen to 'move on' if this happened Leitrim in a Connaught/All Ireland final, grnated these things happen in sport all the time (1995 being an example Twisted Evil ) but you have to have some sympathy for Louth surely. Yes they beat themselves on Sunday but i still feel a tad sorry for them.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:10 am

bocerty wrote:
Boxty would you be as keen to 'move on' if this happened Leitrim in a Connaught/All Ireland final, grnated these things happen in sport all the time (1995 being an example Twisted Evil ) but you have to have some sympathy for Louth surely. Yes they beat themselves on Sunday but i still feel a tad sorry for them.

Shure' of course I feel sorry for them Boc, but the point is they were never going to get a replay. They squandered away the game on themselves but a replay whether granted by Meath Louth v Meath - Page 5 Suspect or enforced by Central Council Louth v Meath - Page 5 Kopfschuettel was never on the cards. Opening up an appalling vista where every fookin' dubious score/wide/decision would be open to wailing and crying...

I was just gently alluding to the Mayo legend that calling Meath cheats was becoming wearisome....
Monaghan will give ye' lots of it BTW.... Louth v Meath - Page 5 Icon_wink
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:13 am

Through one thing and another I have not commented on the game since Sunday but here's me tuppence.

All the talk about Louth 'should have had it wrapped up' is guff and irrelevant .... this team were on the cusp of their first Leinster in yonks - do you think they are going to put every ball over the bar, find a man with every pass??

Louth fans - and I know many - are dreadfully tarnished by 5/6. Ban all Louth fans? ridiculous - the real Louth fan (99.99%) is as embarrassed by Sunday's after match as anyone - AND it possibly cost them a replay in truth (Meath players did not want it - do you think they would after the pics earlier on this thread?)

But it was a great opportunity for the Meath team to win respect and admiration. The brudder texted me Monday morning saying 'this is gas - jaysus if they were hated before imagine what it'll be like now!' Meath have become the team most people want to see out - no doubt. Unfortunately they were in a position where only they could right the wrong. They chose not to - personally I believe this was the wrong decision.

Joe S ?? I have great time for Joe and don't blame him or the Meath players at all. I think he swung a boot at it and missed.

As I said above the controversy was not of their making but they could have fixed it. They chose not to - and I understand that too but as I said above they were wrong.

ps Some on this thread would want to get rid of their pre-conceived and entrenched ideas about counties and their people. These things tend to work on a loose % basis so maybe you are just meeting all the assholes from that county ... wait til you meet the decentskins..
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  hurlingguru Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:53 am

The Meath secretary was on about that they would be breaking a rule to give a replay, but thats pure bull. Laois gave Carlow a replay years ago.

hurlingguru
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Carlow

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:57 am

hurlingguru wrote:The Meath secretary was on about that they would be breaking a rule to give a replay, but thats pure bull. Laois gave Carlow a replay years ago.

Aye they have not covered themselves in glory here at all - the players didn't want a replay so just say that. I would have thought breaking a rule to do the right thing would be admired and lauded everywhere ...

I expect if that man ever has a pregnant woman in his car the child will be born in the back cos he won't break the 80 kph limit ..... Louth v Meath - Page 5 Icon_rolleyes
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:59 am

How about Meath saying ' Right game result cannot be changed,we are Leinster champions but as a sign of goodwill we will play the extra qualifier and allow Louth into quarter finals' Louth v Meath - Page 5 Icon_eek
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next