GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antrim vs Tyrone

+15
redhandman
Dougal
up.the.oak.trees
Grenvile
mullins
RMDrive
mugsys_barber
patrique
mid-mon man
Thomas Clarke
bocerty
mossbags
Jayo Cluxton
Shinners
GAA-Fan
19 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Antrim vs Tyrone - Page 4 Empty Re: Antrim vs Tyrone

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon May 24, 2010 6:58 pm

I merely mentioned Connacht as a paragon of virtue which we in the weaker Leinster counties could aspire to.

Then you climbed onto some imaginary high horse, tried to attain the high moral ground, stumbled (badly) again and fell over yourself (again) a good few times trying to extricate yourself from a situation of your own making ...
As Boxty says ... Spoofer!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon May 24, 2010 7:08 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I merely mentioned Connacht as a paragon of virtue which we in the weaker Leinster counties could aspire to.

Then you climbed onto some imaginary high horse, tried to attain the high moral ground, stumbled (badly) again and fell over yourself (again) a good few times trying to extricate yourself from a situation of your own making ...
As Boxty says ... Spoofer!
It is predictably inevitable that the conclusions you've drawn bare no relation to the facts as the defensive incination of your method commands that you lash out at the never ending barrage from foes, imagined or otherwise and quoting the poster Boxty-Eater is un-contestable evidence that what we are witnessing here is in fact the last desperate crying out from a man who knows he is beaten.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon May 24, 2010 9:39 pm

Jayo, you must realise that Mossbags sees me as some kind of hero figure, and is keen to hear my opinion.

I would not be backing Tyrone if they were playing Meath, Dublin, Kerry, Cork, Galway, Mayo, Kildare, Armagh, Monaghan or maybe even Down.

How many is that? Now they could beat some of those on a given day, but might not.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon May 24, 2010 10:13 pm

You even have Pat feeling sorry for you now Jayo Antrim vs Tyrone - Page 4 Icon_razz
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon May 24, 2010 10:17 pm

mossbags wrote:It is predictably inevitable that the conclusions you've drawn bare no relation to the facts as the defensive incination of your method commands that you lash out at the never ending barrage from foes, imagined or otherwise and quoting the poster Boxty-Eater is un-contestable evidence that what we are witnessing here is in fact the last desperate crying out from a man who knows he is beaten.

This is merely the early rounds Bags of Moss! A Dub is never beaten .... at least til the quarter final! Thou dost dare to suggest that my ripostes are on the back foot - au contraire - I am a Dub. As in our football, our wit and our general demeanour - we attack, attack, attack. There is no blanket defence in the Dub argument. We merely swarm around our opponents unleashing a verbal torrent of witty epigrams, sound logic and majestic machinations. Experts of expostulation, conquistadors of contention and contestation, marvels of manifestation .... we scythe through those who dare confront us with their inferior verbal incongruity!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Mon May 24, 2010 10:49 pm

In my opinion, Tyrone will only get past the next round if they get Donegal [Only because they blow hot and cold] If they get Down their Ulster championship defence is over. And if Monaghan get past Armagh there will be a new Ulster champion outside of Armagh and Tyrone.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Tue May 25, 2010 8:41 am

patrique wrote:Playing football is august is not necessarily a good method of judging, unless Dublin are in the top two?

You see due to the draw Meath have been in two of the last three semis, but well behind the Dubs. So if Meath are top four.....

who are the top 8? Look at next years Division One, should provide the answer.

so monaghan and down would be seen to above tyrone . i tell you what say tyrone play either down ( probable next match) or monaghan lets see who the bookies make favourites. they very rarely get it wrong.

heres another one for you then cork would be in everyones top 8 and played in last yrs final but were only in div 2 - league tables some say dont lie but thats in the old ground ball. gaa is slightly different in the case that the league is a warm up competiton and most teams will rotate in the league. good example being that most teams will have a different keeper every week in the league, how many teams rotate keepers for every championship match?
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue May 25, 2010 9:24 am

The longer it goes, the harder Tyrone will be to beat. Against Antrim we looked sluggish and definitely not as fit, but that should change as the summer goes on. There are certainly concerns regarding a couple of our players (Dooher, Davy Harte the most obvious 2 who are struggling), and I don't think that the 15 who started against Antrim would win the all-ireland.

However, if a couple out of Peter Harte, Cathal McCarron, Kyle Coney and Sean O'Neill can step up, added to the return to fitness of Cassidy, Gormley & PJ Quinn, I think you will see a fresher, faster looking side emerge. Sean Cavanagh's performance have been as patchy this year as they were last year, and a return to form for him would also make a huge difference.

To say that Tyrone have no chance of winning the all-ireland suggests that there are several sides that we couldn't beat. Perhaps Monaghan, Down, Armagh, Donegal might beat us in Ulster, but I don't think that any of those would be good enough to beat us later in the summer. Outside of Ulster, Kerry wouldn't worry me, given our record against them, and the fact that they have an even slower midfield & defence than we do! Galway, Mayo & Dublin all have weaknesses as well. Cork would certainly be a problem, but if we met them again in a all-ireland final or semi, anything could happen.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that with older, successful sides, form or momentum is not as important as it is to an emerging side. Kerry were attrocious last year until the qtr final, and then sprung to life and won an all-ireland. In all sports, sides who have been there and done it before generally retain the ability to click on occasions, long after their consistency has gone. Tyrone have problems, but then so does everyone else. If we can get through Ulster, or even to the Ulster final, we will be hard to beat from then on in.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Tue May 25, 2010 9:28 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:The longer it goes, the harder Tyrone will be to beat. Against Antrim we looked sluggish and definitely not as fit, but that should change as the summer goes on. There are certainly concerns regarding a couple of our players (Dooher, Davy Harte the most obvious 2 who are struggling), and I don't think that the 15 who started against Antrim would win the all-ireland.

However, if a couple out of Peter Harte, Cathal McCarron, Kyle Coney and Sean O'Neill can step up, added to the return to fitness of Cassidy, Gormley & PJ Quinn, I think you will see a fresher, faster looking side emerge. Sean Cavanagh's performance have been as patchy this year as they were last year, and a return to form for him would also make a huge difference.

To say that Tyrone have no chance of winning the all-ireland suggests that there are several sides that we couldn't beat. Perhaps Monaghan, Down, Armagh, Donegal might beat us in Ulster, but I don't think that any of those would be good enough to beat us later in the summer. Outside of Ulster, Kerry wouldn't worry me, given our record against them, and the fact that they have an even slower midfield & defence than we do! Galway, Mayo & Dublin all have weaknesses as well. Cork would certainly be a problem, but if we met them again in a all-ireland final or semi, anything could happen.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that with older, successful sides, form or momentum is not as important as it is to an emerging side. Kerry were attrocious last year until the qtr final, and then sprung to life and won an all-ireland. In all sports, sides who have been there and done it before generally retain the ability to click on occasions, long after their consistency has gone. Tyrone have problems, but then so does everyone else. If we can get through Ulster, or even to the Ulster final, we will be hard to beat from then on in.

yip totally agree look at kerry they have lost 6 starters from last yr and i think if tyrone got cork again MH would have the team prepared to do the job on them, very rarely does any team beat tyrone under MH twice in a row in championship.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue May 25, 2010 11:21 am

patrique wrote:Bocerty, see what I mean. Sean Cavanagh hit TWO balls yesterday that were 60 feet high, and I think the record was Stephen O'Neill with one that was at least 80 feet high.

Are they poor players? Or maybe they were tyrying to gauge a swirling difficult wind on such a warm day, hard to notice unless you had a flag with you.

The commentator on TV, it is on the net, reckoned CJ was isolated and had to shoot, whereas Tyrone always ad support..

P you have missed the point but then you normally always do conveniently. Cavanagh and O' Neill were both shooting on the occasions you referred to not trying to pass to a man who is no bigger than 5"8 -5"9 so your argument on that score is bollox regardless of whether Mc Gourty was MF or CHF -

Secondly the occasions i referred to CJ not laying the ball off he was far from isolated in fact one one occasion Niblock went past him like a steam train ready for the off load and he was only about 20 yards from goal and would have been almost impossible to stop but CJ decided to hold on to the ball and shoot himself!!!!

As for your comment about Scullion being Tyrones best player (though you'll probably claim that it was someone elses opinion not yours) that is also bollox. That was a failing on the Antrim managements behalf to address the predicament he found himself in - there was obviously no communication from the sideline on what he was supposed to do once Joe dropped back so you cant blame the player.

The same thing happened Declan Mc Crossan in the Ulster final of 2003 when Greg Mc Cartan was sent off - Mc Crossan was playing as the spare man and was getting orders from everyone about were he should be playing and what he should be doing and the lad ended up having a nightmare of a game to the point were he was substituted and never played for Tyrone again.

So to point the finger at Scullion is a cheap shot............
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue May 25, 2010 11:27 am

GAA-Fan wrote:In my opinion, Tyrone will only get past the next round if they get Donegal [Only because they blow hot and cold] If they get Down their Ulster championship defence is over. And if Monaghan get past Armagh there will be a new Ulster champion outside of Armagh and Tyrone.

totally disagree there GF - what i find amusing is that people are writing Tyrone off because of the age of the squad and the miles on the clock - not too many people wrote Kerry off last year despite a similar squad in terms of age and miles on the clock.

Continue to dismiss us though the only two teams that i would have concerns about meeting are Cork and Dublin
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 pm

bocerty wrote:
GAA-Fan wrote:In my opinion, Tyrone will only get past the next round if they get Donegal [Only because they blow hot and cold] If they get Down their Ulster championship defence is over. And if Monaghan get past Armagh there will be a new Ulster champion outside of Armagh and Tyrone.

totally disagree there GF - what i find amusing is that people are writing Tyrone off because of the age of the squad and the miles on the clock - not too many people wrote Kerry off last year despite a similar squad in terms of age and miles on the clock.

Continue to dismiss us though the only two teams that i would have concerns about meeting are Cork and Dublin

Of course you will disagree you are a Tyrone fan Antrim vs Tyrone - Page 4 Icon_razz and I was only talking about the Ulster championship.

Tyrone still have a really good team and I am basing my opinion on the Antrim game and the league, to me Tyrone didn't look like an All Ireland threat, or anyone from Ulster for that matter.

I wouldnt only be concerned about Cork and Dublin. I would also be concerned about meeting Meath when they sort their defence out. Wouldnt be so concerned about Donegal, they are blowing hot and cold. Down are going strong and Tyrone should be concerned about them in Ulster. Not going to say much about Armagh, they had just as bad of an opener.

Like I have said before, if Monaghan take Armagh out, they will take Tyrone too if Donegal or Down don't.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue May 25, 2010 9:11 pm

Thomas Clake has clarified matters. I did say that I expected a number of changes to Tyrone, as I was amazed that Coney for one was not playing.

Yes, there is plenty of room for improvement.

If you look back at my post BEFORE the game I said Antrim had selected a load of hard working forwards, but no scoring forwards.

So can someone tell me exactly who CJ was going to pass the ball to? Most of the game Antrim moved the ball wonderfully until they got 40 yards out, and then had 8 more passes because no-obne can shoot. By that stage Tyrone had 15 men behind the ball.

Put it this way, I bet Mr Harte wishes he had BOTH McGourtys.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue May 25, 2010 9:14 pm

bocerty wrote:

Kerry also have Gooch, two O'Se's, Declan O'Sullivan, Donaghy and a host of other talented FOOTBALLERS.

Tyrone as you rightly said are a TEAM, who are perhaps over reliant on athleticism.

The football skill never goes, the athleticism does.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue May 25, 2010 9:41 pm

patrique wrote:
bocerty wrote:

Kerry also have Gooch, two O'Se's, Declan O'Sullivan, Donaghy and a host of other talented FOOTBALLERS.

Tyrone as you rightly said are a TEAM, who are perhaps over reliant on athleticism.

so Tyrone have no talented footballers!!!!!!!!!!!! P you talk some bollox for a guy so fooking smart.

As for who CJ was going to pass too i already explained that, put your reading glasses on with regard to Mickey and the two Mc Gourtys, CJ might fit into Mickeys way of thinking that other clown on the hand wouldnt last a week under Mickey too much baggage and only room for one ego in the dressing room.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue May 25, 2010 9:55 pm

Why do people think that Tyrone are wasted and out of steam all of a sudden? Surely the Kerry boys have as much mileage on board, Galvin, Gooch and the O'Ses etc have more football played over the past 7 years than Tyrone. Tyrone may play a more physically demanding game but surely not to the extent that it would leave them out of steam while Kerry can still go..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Tue May 25, 2010 10:00 pm

I haven't had time this past few days to offer my opinion on the weekends game but here are a few points.

Firstly, What a goal by Mugsy. Although his overall game has to improve, Where was Baker going with accusing him of a foul before it, I certainly never saw a foul. Dooher showed that he is capable of a half and showed some tenacious tackling that was badly missing from certain individuals in the NFL, Harte would be better served using him for the last 20 in future matches though. Davy Harte touched the ball 3 times in 52 minutes and was dumped on his **** on one occasion. His cousin Pete has much more to offer. Some players may not last the 70 minutes such as Hub and as the year goes on we may realise the loss of Aidan Cassidy as an option in the middle. I spoke to Coney a few weeks ago and he told me that he had injured ribs playing against my own club in a league match and would be pushing it to make the Antrim game. I would like to see more of this young talent in the next few weeks.

Finally for the moment, I don't know what all the fuss is about these McGourty's. Yes CJ is accurate but has absolutely no pace. Kevin came on a fresh man with 20 mins to go against a tired Hub and Colm Cavanagh and was out jumped and out-caught by a very tired 5'8" Dooher on the first kickout he contested as well as trying a Hollywood pass directly to Dooher shortly after that. He's a reasonably good player and is better than Gallagher but that wouldn't be hard.

Antrim should test others in the qualifiers and Niblock is a fine player but they haven't improved one iota from last year and were very easily dispossesed, but what does serve them well is their accuracy in front of goal. McCann should have been moved out the field earlier. Michael McCann is one player Mickey Harte definitely would want on his panel and wouldn't come with any ego baggage either.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue May 25, 2010 10:48 pm

[quote="bocerty"]
patrique wrote:
bocerty wrote:

Continue to dismiss us though the only two teams that i would have concerns about meeting are Cork and Dublin[/qu

so Tyrone have no talented footballers!!!!!!!!!!!! P you talk some bollox for a guy so fooking smart.

As for who CJ was going to pass too i already explained that, put your reading glasses on with regard to Mickey and the two Mc Gourtys, CJ might fit into Mickeys way of thinking that other clown on the hand wouldnt last a week under Mickey too much baggage and only room for one ego in the dressing room.

Love it Bocerty.

What absolute clown said that Tyrone had no talented footballers?

You get all sorts on here.

Who was the fool?
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue May 25, 2010 10:51 pm

Oops, read your post again.

My saying KERRY have some talented players to you means me saying Tyrone do not?

How many times have I told ye Tyrone lads to lose the inferiority, paranoid complex.

And even I didn't realise how good Kevin McGourty is rated by others.

Thanks Bo.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue May 25, 2010 11:00 pm

And I love the bit "CJ might fit intoo Mickey's way of thinking"

As CJ himself would say "Mickey who".

Fitzgibbon Cup 1974. After a two year argument Queen's decide to allow the Ranch(Now St Mary's Teacher Training) B.Ed lads to be elligible to play.

Queen's are due to play Cork. Patrique is player/manager of Queen's, unsure of his place.

Finally it comes down to me or Sean McGourty for goals. Now Sean, father of the current lot, played football and hurling for the county, and hurled for Ulster, so you have to ask why was he playing goals at the time for the Ranch.

Anyway I over ruled everyone and selected myself, on the grounds that although Sean might be better than me, he was likely to be found on the half way line educating the referee on the finer points of the game while Cork were rattling in goals.

The others simply said "right enough"

With that back ground there was never a chance any of those lads were ever going to listen to the likes of Mickey Whatever.

That is the end of the social report.

But I mean if Tyrone people thought Brian McGuigan was good they would have statues and monuments erected to Kevin. Brian's Neil Lennon to Kevin's Glenn Hoddle.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Wed May 26, 2010 8:41 am

patrique wrote:And I love the bit "CJ might fit intoo Mickey's way of thinking"

As CJ himself would say "Mickey who".

Fitzgibbon Cup 1974. After a two year argument Queen's decide to allow the Ranch(Now St Mary's Teacher Training) B.Ed lads to be elligible to play.

Queen's are due to play Cork. Patrique is player/manager of Queen's, unsure of his place.

Finally it comes down to me or Sean McGourty for goals. Now Sean, father of the current lot, played football and hurling for the county, and hurled for Ulster, so you have to ask why was he playing goals at the time for the Ranch.

Anyway I over ruled everyone and selected myself, on the grounds that although Sean might be better than me, he was likely to be found on the half way line educating the referee on the finer points of the game while Cork were rattling in goals.

The others simply said "right enough"

With that back ground there was never a chance any of those lads were ever going to listen to the likes of Mickey Whatever.

That is the end of the social report.

But I mean if Tyrone people thought Brian McGuigan was good they would have statues and monuments erected to Kevin. Brian's Neil Lennon to Kevin's Glenn Hoddle.

aye dead on neither of the mcgourtys could lace a fully fit mcguigan's boots. best playmaker in ireland in the noughties.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed May 26, 2010 6:04 pm

P perhaps you should have your argument with someone who really cares to listen to you because i certainly don't, your great at twisting posts around to suit yourself whilst not actually committing to any particular opinion on anything - which is handy when it comes to backing yourself out a corner.

You may get some mileage across the way trying to wind people up with your cryptic bullshit but it doesnt work on here..........

Kevin Mc Gourty compared to Glenn Hoddle dont make me laugh
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Wed May 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Opinion number one.

Brian McGuigan. I could never see what people saw in him, as I said a Neil Lennon of Gaelic, the simple ball.

Mind you it was all he was required to do as Dooher did all the play making.

Ciaran McGourty, the one not in the Antrim football panel, is a better play maker than Mcguigan, by a mile, in my humble opinion.

Opinion number two:

CJ taking points against Tyrone? A necessity. The ONE time he decided otherwise, 8 men jumped on him as Tyrone do not defend like Antrim.

To save time, someone hitting the free and all that, he hit it over the bar himself, 4 times, the best 4 scores in the game, but do not let that get in the way of a good argument.

Kevin McGourty. Only footballeer from Ulster EVER to win the Man of the Tournament at Sigerson TWICE. All Ireland club winner, dual county player, great loyality, a dedicated servant to the cause.

His fault lies in being born in the wrong county.Born in Cork he would already have about 8 senior all Irelands. OK he maybe lacks belief and has a bit of an inferiority complex, but that is due to his inbred humility.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu May 27, 2010 12:29 am

Any team possessed of players of the calibre of the McMahos, the Cavanaghs, Ricey, Jordan, Hub, O'Neill and Mugsy cannot be discounted in any shape or form...and plenty of other good players apart from injured to add on...

A lot of this thread talk was based/argued around last Sunday..the middle of May..a long way to go yet...

Discount Tyrone at your peril.....too many good players..... (Does age matter)??? Check with Jack O'Connor....

Tyrone will be "hard bet"...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Thu May 27, 2010 1:11 am

Boxtyeater wrote:Any team possessed of players of the calibre of the McMahos, the Cavanaghs, Ricey, Jordan, Hub, O'Neill and Mugsy cannot be discounted in any shape or form...and plenty of other good players apart from injured to add on...

A lot of this thread talk was based/argued around last Sunday..the middle of May..a long way to go yet...

Discount Tyrone at your peril.....too many good players..... (Does age matter)??? Check with Jack O'Connor....

Tyrone will be "hard bet"...
Agreed most sense talked in this thread
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content