GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antrim vs Tyrone

+15
redhandman
Dougal
up.the.oak.trees
Grenvile
mullins
RMDrive
mugsys_barber
patrique
mid-mon man
Thomas Clarke
bocerty
mossbags
Jayo Cluxton
Shinners
GAA-Fan
19 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Antrim vs Tyrone Empty Antrim vs Tyrone

Post  GAA-Fan Mon May 17, 2010 12:23 pm

I think this will be the only open game of the Ulster championship. Antrim know that defending against Tyrone will be futile and Tyrone know that they can just attack and it will force Antrim to attack. Tyrone dont exactly have a tough task on their hands, no offence to Antrim.

The good news for Antrim is that this season other players have proved their worth so they wont be heavily reliant on Paddy Cunningham this time round. Not too sure what to make of Tyrone this year, they obviously still have the talent, but their league form isnt much to be desired.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Antrim vs Tyrone Empty Re: Antrim vs Tyrone

Post  Shinners Mon May 17, 2010 2:19 pm

No offence to Antrim but they were on the much easier side of the draw in Ulster last year.
They did ok against Kerry too - but hey so did Longford!!!

Antrim have some decent footballers and they could have a nice run in the qualifiers but as the old adage goes "form is temporary, class is permanent" Tyrone to win by at least 5 points.
Shinners
Shinners

Longford living in Dublin
Number of posts : 982

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon May 17, 2010 2:31 pm

I think this will be very tight. Antrim will only have improved from last year and some of their lads have won an All Ireland title in the meantime. They also have home advantage and unlike Derry yesterday are likely to have a huge, vociferous and partisan home crowd. Tyrone looked out of sorts in the league and were very poor in their last game against the Dubs. IMO there are some problems in the Tyrone camp since last year's semi and I think these probs are still lingering with some of the players - and key ones too. Add in the fact that there are key injuries (Cassidy, McGinley, Gormley) and Dooher will hardly be 100% and it may not be as easy as some think!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon May 17, 2010 2:52 pm

Shinners wrote: "form is temporary, class is permanent"

In that case Antrim by 10.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon May 17, 2010 4:08 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I think this will be very tight. Antrim will only have improved from last year and some of their lads have won an All Ireland title in the meantime. They also have home advantage and unlike Derry yesterday are likely to have a huge, vociferous and partisan home crowd. Tyrone looked out of sorts in the league and were very poor in their last game against the Dubs. IMO there are some problems in the Tyrone camp since last year's semi and I think these probs are still lingering with some of the players - and key ones too. Add in the fact that there are key injuries (Cassidy, McGinley, Gormley) and Dooher will hardly be 100% and it may not be as easy as some think!

i wouldnt rule Dooher out just yet lads - was speaking to one of the lads on the panel at the weekend and he is showing the rest of the panel up at training (and thats not a wind up) he does be very sore after training etc but when he gets warmed up he is a hard man to stop by all accounts.

Cassidy is a big loss as he was the top man from the league campaign and leaves our midfield with a bit of a gap, Mc Ginley is a loss too as is Gormley but i think we have enough defenders to compensate for the loss of Gormley.

Still feel confident we will win this one - after all Antrim are bound to suffer second season syndrome!!!!!!

JC i dont know that there is all that much wrong in the camp to be honest - i'm not sure Mickey speaks to many of the panel so we are no worse off than we were before his book seen the light of day. The pressure is off Tyrone in a big way we havent made it onto a lot of pundits radar and that could suit us big time.

Besides judging by what i've seen fo the champo so far there is nothing out there to worry us lol! lol! lol! lol!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon May 17, 2010 4:16 pm

bocerty wrote:Besides judging by what i've seen fo the champo so far there is nothing out there to worry us Antrim vs Tyrone Lol Antrim vs Tyrone Lol Antrim vs Tyrone Lol Antrim vs Tyrone Lol

Are you mad lad - the backdoor is already lined with hazards ... Carlow Antrim vs Tyrone Icon_rolleyes , Tipp Antrim vs Tyrone Icon_rolleyes and Derry Antrim vs Tyrone Icon_rolleyes Antrim vs Tyrone Icon_razz !
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon May 17, 2010 7:46 pm

Tyrone's injury problems are a concern, and very disappointing to see Cassidy miss his 2nd successive summer.

Having said that, I think we will have enough to get past Antrim. There's no doubt that Antrim will be further along in their fitness and could trouble Tyrone with their pace, just as Tipperary did yesterday against Kerry, but I'd think that Tyrone will have too much power and experience when it comes down to it.

Antrim were well beaten last year in the Ulster final. Tyrone weren't good, and eased off, but twice they led by 10 points, and the game was over after 10 minutes. I know what you are saying about the league, and certainly Tyrone were poor, but we still beat Cork & Kerry, and Antrim couldn't have done that. Tyrone should win on Sunday, by 4-6 points.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Mon May 17, 2010 8:02 pm

JC, you say it might not be as easy for Tyrone as many think, on the contrary I would say the general consensus is that this is a good chance for Antrim to upset Tyrone and alot seem to be sticking their neck out and calling that! I cannot fathom this, I think people are getting carried away with Tyrone's apparent "demise" and Antrim's rise over the last year. They had a great run last year with a couple of "moral victories" where they stuck it to the bigger teams, but still lost. They had the surprise factor that is gone now, and Tyrone have been around far too long to be caught short here. Tyrone may have their problems at present but will have plenty to deal with Antrim. Tyrone to win by 6 pts+ I would say.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Mon May 17, 2010 10:16 pm

When Tyrone reach an Ulster final they get caught out in the first game the next year.

2005 - Ulster Final.
2006 - Knocked out in first game by Derry.
2007 - Ulster Final.
2008 - Knocked out in first game by Down.
2009 - Ulster Final.
2010 - ?
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon May 17, 2010 10:17 pm

Sligo and Offaly beat Antrim this year.

They have improved a lot, and Tyrone have regressed. All you need to be moderately successful at football is a dedicated panel and two scoring forwards, one pof whom can be a free taker.

Paddy cunningham is now worth his place on the team this year, something which was never true before. He is a great free taker but his scores from play have improved. I know he scored about 5 from play in last years Ulster final but that was against Tyrone who are not famed for man marking.

Antrim also have CJ, Tomas McCann, Michael McCann and hopefully Magill. Obviously the best player Kevin McGourty not being in the panel is a blow, but when is he ever in the panel?

Tyrone have lost Gormley, and do not look great anymore. Mind you to me they never looked great on paper but as a team were wonderful at times. But Dooher and the rest are past it. Antrim could put the like of Kelly on Dooher as Kelly is a wonderful footballer.

So Tyrone to win as Antrim are still a Division 3 team this year, but I think Tyrone would be better served by actually losing.

If Mickey Harte has the nous to think the same way..............
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon May 17, 2010 10:19 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:When Tyrone reach an Ulster final they get caught out in the first game the next year.

2005 - Ulster Final.
2006 - Knocked out in first game by Derry.
2007 - Ulster Final.
2008 - Knocked out in first game by Down.
2009 - Ulster Final.
2010 - ?

Down arrived on the scene in 1958, contested 12 Ulster finals in a row, no back door then, and won three all Irelands.

That run was brought to an end in 1970 by.....Antrim.

Will history repeat itself?
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Mon May 17, 2010 11:00 pm

It has the potential to be a high scoring game as Tyrone leaked an average of 17 points in the league campaign. The plus side is that both McMahon's are available but Conor Gormley is a major blow. There is no ready made replacement for Gormley. Steven O'Neill will is also back but has he got enough game time under his belt.

Dooher is back and was the last man standing during a recent bleep test at training which is worrying as it raises questions as to the fitness of other younger members of the panel. it gives an indication of how good a condition Dooher is in although I feel that it would be a step backwards if he were to start on Sunday especially as I'd like to see the likes of Coney or Pete Harte getting a start. Dooher may be fit to fulfil a last fifteen minute role but it will be interesting to see what team Mickey Harte lines out as there is usually the odd surprise in it.
The surprises Harte could spring would obviously be to start Dooher, others might be Curran in goals Antrim vs Tyrone Icon_rolleyes. McCarron at full back, Penrose at centre half forward, Raymond Mulgrew to start.

For what its worth I think Hartes team will be
Curran
Dermot Carlin Justin McMahon Cathal McCarron
Davy Harte Ryan McMenamin Phillip Jordan
Colm Cavanagh Kevin Hughes
Joe McMahon Sean Cavanagh Pete Harte
Martin Penrose Steven O'Neill Eoin Mulligan

The element of surprise that Antrim had from last year has gone but Tyrone will have to be aware that they do possess a class player in Michael McCann and it will be important that Tyrone can stifle his influence on the game. I still expect Tyrone to progress by at least 5 points but only after Antrim give them a bit of an early scare. Antrim vs Tyrone Fresse
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue May 18, 2010 9:02 am

Tyrone at a canter. It'll be like Kerry Tipp this weekend. Great strides made by Antrim and Tipp but people are losing the run of themselves.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue May 18, 2010 9:34 am

I don't see Antrim and Tipp as comparable at all. We'll just have to wait and see but I think this 'canter' and 'stroll' talk is wide of the mark!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue May 18, 2010 3:53 pm

patrique wrote: Obviously the best player Kevin McGourty not being in the panel is a blow, but when is he ever in the panel?

McGourty back for Red Hand clash

Antrim vs Tyrone Kevinmcgourty
May 2010

Kevin McGourty has made a dramatic return to
the Antrim squad ahead of Sunday's Ulster SFC quarter-final against
Tyrone at Casement Park.

McGourty, who was one of the stars of
St. Gall's All-Ireland club success earlier this year, hasn't been
involved with the Saffrons for the past two years, but has now decided
to accept an invitation from manager Liam Bradley to return.

And
following Sean Burke's recent departure to the US and doubts continuing
to surround midfielder Brendan Herron's fitness, there is a good chance
that the 27-year-old attacker could be thrown into the fray against the
reigning Ulster champions.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Tue May 18, 2010 4:38 pm

Fine Fail's big hit in the North has re-joined the Antrim panel - I'd say Hub Hughes is quaking in his boots at the minute Antrim vs Tyrone Icon_rolleyes
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue May 18, 2010 6:23 pm

Kevin McGourty back?

1: How much is it in to the game?

2: Is the semi final the same price?

3: Who do we play in the semi?

4: Should I ask for a pay rise to cover the cost of this championship run?

Antrim by about 12 points.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue May 18, 2010 6:28 pm

patrique wrote:Kevin McGourty back?

1: How much is it in to the game?

2: Is the semi final the same price?

3: Who do we play in the semi?

4: Should I ask for a pay rise to cover the cost of this championship run?

Antrim by about 12 points.

Every Monday after a Dublin game in an unofficial bank holiday-and the odd monday goes down as a day of mourning.. Antrim vs Tyrone Icon_biggrin
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue May 18, 2010 7:40 pm

I'd guess Mugsy's team will be close to reality, although Harte always likes to spring a surprise in the 1st round of the championship. I read somewhere that Sean O'Neill was struggling with injury, so that could mean McCarron gets his chance, although I wouldnt be shocked to see Joe Mc Mahon in defence instead, and Coney joining Cavanagh and Harte in attack.

Still though Mugsy, you are probably right with Joey in attack, particularly with Cassidy injured, as hed've been in the half forwards for sure.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Tue May 18, 2010 7:46 pm

TC, I heard that because Ronan McNabb featured against Moy in the starred league fixture on Sunday that he was asked not to train this week by Harte. I believe that Sean O'Neill is also struggling with an injury at present. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dooher is handed a starting berth and perhaps O'Neill may not start.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue May 18, 2010 8:01 pm

Didnt realise that about McNabb, although couldn't have seen him featuring. Maybe as the summer goes on though.

I'm not surprised that Dooher is still the king of the bleep test, as stamina and endurance stay with you into your early 30s. Sadly, though, his pace is gone, and he will be found out as the summer goes on, if Mickey has him on the first 15.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue May 18, 2010 8:44 pm

RMDrive wrote:Tyrone at a canter. It'll be like Kerry Tipp this weekend. Great strides made by Antrim and Tipp but people are losing the run of themselves.

I don't know about Kerry but I would say Tyrone and Antrim are a fair bit behind Tipp at the moment.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Wed May 19, 2010 9:33 pm

patrique wrote:
RMDrive wrote:Tyrone at a canter. It'll be like Kerry Tipp this weekend. Great strides made by Antrim and Tipp but people are losing the run of themselves.

I don't know about Kerry but I would say Tyrone and Antrim are a fair bit behind Tipp at the moment.

I'd have to agree with you 100% Pat, Judging by the way Tyrone tamely exited the Ulster championship last weekend against Armagh, Tipp are light years ahead of anything North of Galway Antrim vs Tyrone Icon_razz
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Thu May 20, 2010 9:27 pm

Teams for Sunday's game

Antrim: J Finucane, C Brady, A Douglas, K O'Boyle, T Scullion, J Crozier, S Kelly, A Gallagher, B Herron, T O'Neill, K Niblock, J Loughrey, P Cunningham, M McCann, T McCann. Subs: S McGreevy, A McClean, A Healy, D McCann, S Finch, D Gault, K Brady, C Fleming, CJ McGourty, G O'Boyle, P Doherty.

Tyrone: P McConnell, M Swift, Justin McMahon, D Carlin, D Harte, R McMenamin, P Jordan, K Hughes, C Cavanagh, B Dooher, S Cavanagh, Joe McMahon, M Penrose, S O'Neill, O Mulligan.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Thu May 20, 2010 9:30 pm

mugsys_barber wrote:Teams for Sunday's game

Antrim: J Finucane, C Brady, A Douglas, K O'Boyle, T Scullion, J Crozier, S Kelly, A Gallagher, B Herron, T O'Neill, K Niblock, J Loughrey, P Cunningham, M McCann, T McCann. Subs: S McGreevy, A McClean, A Healy, D McCann, S Finch, D Gault, K Brady, C Fleming, CJ McGourty, G O'Boyle, P Doherty.

Tyrone: P McConnell, M Swift, Justin McMahon, D Carlin, D Harte, R McMenamin, P Jordan, K Hughes, C Cavanagh, B Dooher, S Cavanagh, Joe McMahon, M Penrose, S O'Neill, O Mulligan.

Mugsy is that tyrones best team for Sunday
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down