GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antrim vs Tyrone

+15
redhandman
Dougal
up.the.oak.trees
Grenvile
mullins
RMDrive
mugsys_barber
patrique
mid-mon man
Thomas Clarke
bocerty
mossbags
Jayo Cluxton
Shinners
GAA-Fan
19 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Antrim vs Tyrone - Page 3 Empty Re: Antrim vs Tyrone

Post  mossbags Sun May 23, 2010 5:17 pm

Good goal from Nibbler, Tyrone full back line caught a bit flat. If they can maintain their 2nd half superority at MF then Antrim still in with a shout here. Kevin McGourtey has mad a difference
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Sun May 23, 2010 5:54 pm

Tyrone did not look good at all in that second half. They looked ragged, definitely too many miles on the clock. There was no pretending in this game from Tyrone.

Second half was miles better than first, if Antrim played with a bit more urgency throughout it would have been hell of a lot closer. They missed Niall McK today.

If Monaghan do beat Armagh there will definitely be a new Ulster champion outside Tyrone and Armagh this year.

Last edited by GAA-Fan on Sun May 23, 2010 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun May 23, 2010 6:03 pm

Cue Pat wondering how much Antrim would have one by if K. McGourty started:

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun May 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Tyrone were fairly comfortable, and I was quite happy with that performance for a 1st round game. I think that GF is writing us off a bit too quickly, as I thought Tyrone looked a lot better than what we saw last week in Ulster.

It must be remmebered that in '03, '05 & '08, Tyrone failed to win their first match (drew tham all), before picking up as the year went on.

I thought it was very interesting to see the difference in how Tyrone play with a sweeper, in comparison to Armagh, Derry & Antrim, allowing the spare man to push forward, and also spreading the play to the wings. Last week's game was all played in midfield, hence the lack of football from both sides.

Positives for Tyrone were the perforamces of the McMahons (what classy footballers they are), Carlin, Hughes & O'Neill (in patches). McCarron looked impressive when he came on. Sean Cavanagh will get better as the year progresses, but Dooher & Davy Harte still look off the pace.

5 point win away from home in the first round against a side who will be in division 2 next year - decent start.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Sun May 23, 2010 10:55 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Tyrone were fairly comfortable, and I was quite happy with that performance for a 1st round game. I think that GF is writing us off a bit too quickly, as I thought Tyrone looked a lot better than what we saw last week in Ulster.

It must be remmebered that in '03, '05 & '08, Tyrone failed to win their first match (drew tham all), before picking up as the year went on.

I thought it was very interesting to see the difference in how Tyrone play with a sweeper, in comparison to Armagh, Derry & Antrim, allowing the spare man to push forward, and also spreading the play to the wings. Last week's game was all played in midfield, hence the lack of football from both sides.

Positives for Tyrone were the perforamces of the McMahons (what classy footballers they are), Carlin, Hughes & O'Neill (in patches). McCarron looked impressive when he came on. Sean Cavanagh will get better as the year progresses, but Dooher & Davy Harte still look off the pace.

5 point win away from home in the first round against a side who will be in division 2 next year - decent start.

Well to be fair TC you played an Antrim team who overall were poor for a good while. Now that's not Tyrone's fault that Antrim had a bad day however I would have expected Tyrone to kill the game. Antrim didnt have their kicking boots on today and if they did I would have still fancied Tyrone to beat them but it could have been a lot closer. Im not too sure is Tyrone could win Ulster after todays performance. But I am basing my views on the first game, Ill conceed that I may have wrote Tyrone off a little harshly. If they get Down, I just think Down would win. I hope both Armagh and Tyrone get to the final, it would be an interesting encounter to say the least.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun May 23, 2010 11:22 pm

Having watched the first game I couldn't justify sitting indoors for the whole afternoon so had to skip this one. Saw Stephen O'Neill get the opening score though - pure class!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon May 24, 2010 1:44 am

I hope we don't get Kilkenny in the qualifiers.

Can't see us running them to 4 points.

When was it made a non contact game? Is that one of the rule changes?

Mind you I suspect that Kilkenny might beat Tyrone as well.

At half time I reckoned if Antrim hadn't had sat in the dressing room in the first half it wouldhave been about 2-0 to Tyrone, as they didn't create anything.

Antrim however created about 2-4 for them, including the quick side line ball to Dooher which caught everone napping.

After 50 minutes I got a text from the mate saying "I thought the hurlers were bad but that is DREADFUL"

After 60 minutes the mate in the stand texted to say "although Antrim are awful there are only 4 points in it".

Now Offaly beat Antrim in the league and got anihilated by a mediocre Meath today, and it is easy to see why Tyrone and Antrim are in Division 2. I fear they will both struggle at that level.

By the way, is Kevin McGourty really that good or were Tyrone just dreadful?

And they won.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon May 24, 2010 11:20 am

patrique wrote:I hope we don't get Kilkenny in the qualifiers.

Can't see us running them to 4 points.

When was it made a non contact game? Is that one of the rule changes?

Mind you I suspect that Kilkenny might beat Tyrone as well.

At half time I reckoned if Antrim hadn't had sat in the dressing room in the first half it wouldhave been about 2-0 to Tyrone, as they didn't create anything.

Antrim however created about 2-4 for them, including the quick side line ball to Dooher which caught everone napping.

After 50 minutes I got a text from the mate saying "I thought the hurlers were bad but that is DREADFUL"

After 60 minutes the mate in the stand texted to say "although Antrim are awful there are only 4 points in it".

Now Offaly beat Antrim in the league and got anihilated by a mediocre Meath today, and it is easy to see why Tyrone and Antrim are in Division 2. I fear they will both struggle at that level.

By the way, is Kevin McGourty really that good or were Tyrone just dreadful?

And they won.

very cryptic P - any chance some day you will post on here in plain simple English in a fashion that is actually worth reading. You exaggerate how 'bad' Tyrone were - in the first half we were all over you despite playing in second gear!!!!!

As for Kevin McGourty - he is a bit like the younger brother its all about him and not the team, the last 3 or 4 balls be put into the forward line were hit and hope balls. CJ obviously had a bet on himself to finish top scorer for Antrim as there were a number of times he could have passed to a better placed player. Granted he did score but had he laid the ball off a goal was there for the taking.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Mon May 24, 2010 11:32 am

kevin mcgourty - summed up in his first ten seconds on the field what is wrong with him. he came running out and first thing he did was hit brian dooher a sly shoulder charge when the ball was out of play ! why what for and again why?! at least had the ball been in play or near them there was a reason for it. he could have been booked without having been playing.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon May 24, 2010 11:54 am

Watched both games yesterday. All I can say is that Pat McEneaney was the "Man of the Match" in both games......
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon May 24, 2010 11:55 am

redhandman wrote:kevin mcgourty - summed up in his first ten seconds on the field what is wrong with him. he came running out and first thing he did was hit brian dooher a sly shoulder charge when the ball was out of play ! why what for and again why?! at least had the ball been in play or near them there was a reason for it. he could have been booked without having been playing.

Noticed that RHM, thought it was deserving of a booking and he was very lucky that it wasn't spotted. I really don't know what you are proving when you come onto the pitch and shoulder someone in the back!?!?

Recorded the game and watched it last night, nothing really can be drawn from the game for both teams in terms of just how far they will go as the overall performance wan't that powerful. Tyrone bossed the first half but you couldn't help think that the occassion got to Antrim, they don't appear to like the expectation level heaped on them and should they continue to start games like that then they'll be walloped sooner or later!

The second half was a bit more exciting but i couldn't work out of Antrim were fighting their way back or if Tyrone pulled the foot off the gas. Clearly Tyrone were the more tired team in the last quarter, but this is the time of year for that to happen and they really never looked like losing the game at any stage.

It'll be interesting to see how Tyrone get on against a side who don't let expectation get to them, i still feel they have a lot to offer in terms of where the All Ireland will go and i've seen them start slow in the championship before and win the whole thing!

Antrim? If they are to be considered a new force they will have to be on the ball from second 1 and not second half! I personally thought they would get hammered yesterday and was surprised that they took Tyrone so close but it really was the most convincing 4 point win i've seen in years!! I just can't see them making a major dent in the Championship Qualifiers if they start like that again!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon May 24, 2010 2:05 pm

redhandman wrote:kevin mcgourty - summed up in his first ten seconds on the field what is wrong with him. he came running out and first thing he did was hit brian dooher a sly shoulder charge when the ball was out of play ! why what for and again why?! at least had the ball been in play or near them there was a reason for it. he could have been booked without having been playing.

Exactly what was needed. That is what was missing. Only problem is he stepped OVER him instead of pretending to stumble and stepping ON him.

Apart from that...........
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon May 24, 2010 2:10 pm

Well at least Bocerty agrees with me.

stephen O'Neill, one point less than the useless CJ McGourty from play, Dooher, Hughes, Mugsy and a few others, he is right.

However I think they were only on because it was Antrim and I would be surprised if any of them feature in the semi.

I believe the authorities are looking into the game, like a stewards enquiry at horse racing, as it certainly appears that many Antrimplayers were "got at" before the game.

Sean Kelly looked to be Antrim's best player so he was taken out. Antrim's naive play against this "experience" is what mafde it a disappointing day.

You expected Tyrone to win, but you also expected they might have to do something to win.

Antrim did it all for them. The Tyrone man who said "Finucane was Tyrone's best player" was not far of the mark, although Scullion and Terry O'Neill ran him close.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Mon May 24, 2010 2:30 pm

patrique wrote:

Exactly what was needed. That is what was missing. Only problem is he stepped OVER him instead of pretending to stumble and stepping ON him.

Apart from that...........

i have seen fellas doing this at all levels of football for and against teams i have played for and supported and regardless of who has done it i always think the same thing T O O L. only looking attention and cant get it by actually doing anything productive on the field of play.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Mon May 24, 2010 2:51 pm

I quite enjoyed the match. Tyrone had that little bit extra in experience. Colm O'Rourke was spot on at half time forecasting that Tyrone would sit back in the second half. Still fair play to Antrim and I think they will do well in the qualifiers. Tyrone? Stephen O'Neill and Mulligan if they get enough supply will be hard to master. Are Brian Dooher's days over? I think so. Were not great round midfield in second half but I would not write them off as they will learn a lot from yesterday and dont be surprised to see 3 or 4 changes before the semi.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon May 24, 2010 3:03 pm

Calm reflection.

Bocerty is right, Tyrone were in second gear but the big disappointment to me is that Tyrone now ONLY have a second gear, or so it appeared.

Once the game was lost, and Antrim had their better players on the field, Tyrone did not seem to be able to respond to the Antrim comeback. You always expected Tyrone to win, but I felt I had over rated them, and Antrim in the end gifted them the match.

However, Tyrone may have simply been "restiung" as they didn't need to show their hand so we need to wait before passing judgement on them.

What is undeniable is that some teams in Ulster have improived this year, and Tyrone have regressed, so it is closer than last year.

Antrim have the makings of being a coming team, but need the main quality in any sport, BELIEF, before taking the next step. Loughrey, Kelly, Niblock, and the Mccanns have talent, and Cunningham can hit frees all day long.

Kevin McGourty? Unselfish attitude (ask anyobne at UCD or Queen's) has a great talent if it ever comes to fruition. He is that good that people highlight his mistakes. At one stage Dooher hit the ball out of play with no-one near him, I thought someone was injured and he was stopping play. Anyone going to tell me Dooher was a bad player all his career?

CJ has no presence but he can score from play even when isolated as the commentator pointed out yesterday, on the internet clip.

So in the end it was poor fare, but Tyrone did not have to do anything so maybe they should escape criticism. However, and I know it was warm, they ran out of steam and were knackered with about 15 to go. A good side would have capitalised on that.

Antrim alas yesterday looked anything but a good side.

Finally the Antrim supoport is a hindrance as they do not back the team, instead you just listen to a stream of club inspired criticism.

I never liked St Gall's or Sean McGourty, the da, but I can appreciate talent. Too many others cannot.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon May 24, 2010 4:18 pm

Patrique - i am not saying Mc Gourty (either of them) are bad players but your point about CJ outscoring O' Neill and Mulligan only serves to reinforce what i said. Had he laid some of the balls off that he scored from Antrim could have got a lot closer to Tyrone than they did. Even the very last point he scored could easily have been a goal had be looked up.

As for Kevin you claimed on here many time she was the best CHF in Ireland - well i have seen very few 'great' CHFs show the lack of composure he did yesterday at critical times in the game. He hit one ball to Cunningham that was about 50 feet high.

Also i wonder what effect his return had on the Antrim panel - had i busted my balls for the last 3 years and was sitting on the bench yesterday and he was introduced before me i would not have been best pleased.

Antrim are not a bad side but the mentality is not right - i don't think they actually believed they could win yesterday. I would rate them as a better side than Derry given the first two games i have seen.

Tyrone are not the side they were either but they are still a team - they play for each other not as individuals. The heat yesterday would not suit the running game we play but i think we have a few more gears left in us yet.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon May 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Bocerty, see what I mean. Sean Cavanagh hit TWO balls yesterday that were 60 feet high, and I think the record was Stephen O'Neill with one that was at least 80 feet high.

Are they poor players? Or maybe they were tyrying to gauge a swirling difficult wind on such a warm day, hard to notice unless you had a flag with you.

The commentator on TV, it is on the net, reckoned CJ was isolated and had to shoot, whereas Tyrone always ad support.

The one time he did try to cut through about 8 players to go for goal Tyrone did exactly what Antrim should have done for both goals, pulled him down without ceremony.

But Tyrone learn that at an early age, remember 5 of them being booked in a minor final for systematically fouling Darren 'Sullivan, making sure it was a different player who simply jumped on his back every time he got the ball. Effective, if not exactly aesthetic.

Antrim were totally naive, Tyrone looked to be aging "cute hoors".

But I honestly couldn't see Tyrone troubling any of the top 7 or 8.

If those teams BELIEVE.

easier said than done.

PS: Kevin McGourty was at mid field yesterday, such is his talent.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Mon May 24, 2010 4:51 pm

patrique wrote:Bocerty, see what I mean. Sean Cavanagh hit TWO balls yesterday that were 60 feet high, and I think the record was Stephen O'Neill with one that was at least 80 feet high.

Are they poor players? Or maybe they were tyrying to gauge a swirling difficult wind on such a warm day, hard to notice unless you had a flag with you.

The commentator on TV, it is on the net, reckoned CJ was isolated and had to shoot, whereas Tyrone always ad support.

The one time he did try to cut through about 8 players to go for goal Tyrone did exactly what Antrim should have done for both goals, pulled him down without ceremony.

But Tyrone learn that at an early age, remember 5 of them being booked in a minor final for systematically fouling Darren 'Sullivan, making sure it was a different player who simply jumped on his back every time he got the ball. Effective, if not exactly aesthetic.

Antrim were totally naive, Tyrone looked to be aging "cute hoors".

But I honestly couldn't see Tyrone troubling any of the top 7 or 8.

If those teams BELIEVE.

easier said than done.

PS: Kevin McGourty was at mid field yesterday, such is his talent.

who are the top 8 pat?

do tyrone make the top 16?

lets see what comes over the summer- i sitll fancy tyrone to be there or there abouts come late august.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon May 24, 2010 6:26 pm

Playing football is august is not necessarily a good method of judging, unless Dublin are in the top two?

You see due to the draw Meath have been in two of the last three semis, but well behind the Dubs. So if Meath are top four.....

who are the top 8? Look at next years Division One, should provide the answer.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon May 24, 2010 6:32 pm

patrique wrote:

You see due to the draw Meath have been in two of the last three semis, but well behind the Dubs.
Don't know about that. Dublin were lucky to beat Meath in 07. If either of these two counties is ever going to get up off their ass and get Leinster football out of the doldrums its been wallowing in for eons now, its much more likely to be the royals imo.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon May 24, 2010 6:35 pm

We can only hope to some day emulate Connacht in terms of recent All Ireland success .... Its a model we aspire to.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon May 24, 2010 6:37 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:We can only hope to some day emulate Connacht in terms of recent All Ireland success .... Its a model we aspire to.

Why bring Connacht into this? You were having a go at other lads last week for not sticking to the question at hand in the Kerry supporters thread, maybe should take your own advice Antrim vs Tyrone - Page 3 Icon_basketball
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon May 24, 2010 6:40 pm

mossbags wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:We can only hope to some day emulate Connacht in terms of recent All Ireland success .... Its a model we aspire to.

Why bring Connacht into this? You were having a go at other lads last week for not sticking to the question at hand in the Kerry supporters thread, maybe should take your own advice Antrim vs Tyrone - Page 3 Icon_basketball

This is the Antrim v Tyrone thread and you are the one who started talking about the Leinster C'ship ... keep up lad .... those late nights are making ya so tired you are tripping yourself up .... Antrim vs Tyrone - Page 3 Icon_rolleyes Antrim vs Tyrone - Page 3 Icon_eek
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon May 24, 2010 6:48 pm

On the contary Jayo, I was replying to a comment made by Paddy re the state of football in counties Dublin and Meath which fitted broady in a more general discussion that was ongoing in the thread re Tyrone and whether or not they are still a top team. You brought up Connacht out of nowhere because I had you so badly rattled on the Galway/Wexico hurling thread. The sad thing is that now we might never know whether or not anyone would have agreed with Patrique that Tyrone are no longer a top 8 team.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next