GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Armagh v Derry

+12
Loyal2TheRoyal
Thomas Clarke
mugsys_barber
scoopmine
Real Kerry Fan
mullins
bald eagle
mid-mon man
bocerty
up.the.oak.trees
Jayo Cluxton
GAA-Fan
16 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Armagh v Derry - Page 2 Empty Re: Armagh v Derry

Post  bocerty Fri May 14, 2010 12:04 am

15/2 for the draw on Sunday with Paddy Power - might chance a few shillings on it
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri May 14, 2010 12:10 am

Boerty wrote "thats Crossmaglens own ground JC they sponsored the jerseys too - bit like a Dublin player standing behind a sign for tampons if you ask me Armagh v Derry - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Armagh v Derry - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Armagh v Derry - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Armagh v Derry - Page 2 Icon_biggrin"

Yeah well I didn't ask you .... Armagh v Derry - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Tyrone should get Toyota Hybrid cars to sponsor them. They were also invented in 2003....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Fri May 14, 2010 12:11 am

Teams for Sunday...

Derry
1. Gillis
2. McAlarey
3. McGuckian
4. McBride
5. O'Kane
6. McGuigan
7. Bateson
8. Dohery
9. Patsy Bradley
10. Mullan
11. Mark Lynch
12. Sean Leo McGoldrick
13. Eoin Bradley
14. Paddy Bradley
15. Wilkinson

Armagh
1 Paul Hearty
2 Andy Mallon
3 Kieran Toner
4 Brendan Donaghy
5 Paul Duffy
6 Ciaran McKeever
7 Finnian Moriarty
8 Charlie Vernon
9 James Lavery
10 Malachy Mackin
11 Aaron Kernan
12 Gareth Swift
13 Brian Mallon
14 Stevie McDonnell
15 Ryan Henderson
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri May 14, 2010 12:15 am

Ronan Clarke on the bench I presume? Will the young lads take the white heat of Ulster c'ship battle? Just thinking isn't it amazing to think that one of these teams will be in the backdoor before mid-May. Surely people who say the back door is not right would have to concede that teams having nothing to play for in mid May is not right either?
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Fri May 14, 2010 12:37 am

Yeah Clarke down as no. 30 but not fit enough to play a big part here it seems.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan

Back to top Go down

Post  up.the.oak.trees Fri May 14, 2010 12:56 am

Midmonman, is that the teams for definite? Wonder why Kielt isnt there and a few other names Neutral
up.the.oak.trees
up.the.oak.trees
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Doire
Number of posts : 375

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Fri May 14, 2010 1:21 am

Kielt has an injury.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 14, 2010 9:16 am

Armagh will not line out like that. Fact

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Fri May 14, 2010 12:07 pm

samin10 wrote:Armagh will not line out like that. Fact

Do you mean some of those won't start or they'll start in different positions? I'd imagine Toner would move to midfield, Vernon to half-forward, Kernan back to half-back line?
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan

Back to top Go down

Post  up.the.oak.trees Fri May 14, 2010 9:55 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:Kielt has an injury.

James Kielt? I know his brother Charlie is injured
up.the.oak.trees
up.the.oak.trees
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Doire
Number of posts : 375

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 14, 2010 10:12 pm

mid mon man

i would say you're not to far wrong there. if they do line out the way team is listed i cant see it staying like that for too long

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri May 14, 2010 10:29 pm

I'm not convinced that Aaron Kernan will be in the half back line, as Moriarty & Duffy both played well there against Down, and Kernan has been in the forwards through the entire league.

Last year Derry played with 7 defenders, so I'd say a more likely scenario would be Donaghy & Mallon marking the Bradleys, and Toner out the field, as Derry are likely to play at least one forward in behind their midfield (probably McGoldrick).
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri May 14, 2010 10:41 pm

Derry should shade this. League form can be fickle and Derry, more than most, will appreciate this. For the first team in a few years, they enter the championship in a low key fashion as Armagh come into the game as the talking team. However, it may not be that much of shock if Derry are the ones to do the talking, don't expect an oration though, it'll probably be a tightly fought encounter (Ulster championship games tend to be) so a win ala Monaghan 2009 will keep most Foyleside fairly satisfied.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 14, 2010 10:48 pm

T.C cant see Armagh playing with seven forwards just because Derry play with 7 defenders. I agree with you, i think Kernan will stay at half forward. The changes i think will happen will be Shannon in for Mackin. Donaghey at 3, Shannon at 4. Toner midfield and Vernon half forward. In saying this, maybe ORourke feels Armagh are vulnerable under the high ball in full back line (some very soft goals conceeded in league). Toner is also a very good full back, maybe he is thinking of starting him there. If he does start there and we struggle at midfield, expect to see quick changes being made from the management. Its hard to know what the thinking is although its a nice poition to be in to have versatile players like Toner and Vernon. It will certainly keep the opposition guessing. I am guessing myself.

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri May 14, 2010 10:55 pm

I don't think Derry games have the same feel to them on this forum anymore? Anyone get else this impression? Last year, there was a great buzz of anticipation prior to Derry games. Looking back, them and Meath were probably the two most talked about teams in 2009 on here.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri May 14, 2010 10:58 pm

Sorry Samin, didn't mean that Toner would follow McGoldrick (guessing it will be him) all the way, but I could see him playing deep in midefield, just in front of his own centre back, and both sides basically playing with 7 defensive players, albeit with Derry's probably more obvious. Still, just guessing at this stage of the summer, as it is hard to know what plans people have in store.

Armagh do seem to have more versatility, but I would worry about where there scores will come from if McDonnell is held. Paddy Bradley isn't the man he was, but I thought Eoin looked very hungry against Kerry in the league, and he will be a handful for anyone if he is getting any sort of service.

As it is in Derry, I have a feeling that they will shade it (neutral venue I might have sided with Armagh), but it should be a very interesting game to kick off the championship. And the big positive for the losing side is a very long time to re-group before the qualifiers start.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri May 14, 2010 11:00 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:I don't think Derry games have the same feel to them on this forum anymore? Anyone get else this impression? Last year, there was a great buzz of anticipation prior to Derry games. Looking back, them and Meath were probably the two most talked about teams in 2009 on here.

i must say, one of the funniest things ever on the forum was the Dublin-esque, Messiah-like hype that was bestowed upon Damien Cassidy for the first few months of last year by a since departed poster, only for that same poster to call for his head after they were dumped out in June.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Fri May 14, 2010 11:08 pm

Tc you must hate Dublin..
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 14, 2010 11:10 pm

I think Derry will take a man out of the forwards to play as an extra defender as well but what i think will happen in Donaghey and Mallon marking the two Bradleys (more than capable of doing a really good job on them i think). Moriarity, Shannon and Duffy picking up the three remaining forwards, with McKeever the spare man playing between full and half back lines. Toner and Lavery as midfielders. Vernon, kernan and Swift playing as half forwards. I think we will win by about 3, although it is a suspicious confidence (suspicious that Derry are nowhere near as bad as league form)

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri May 14, 2010 11:15 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:I don't think Derry games have the same feel to them on this forum anymore? Anyone get else this impression? Last year, there was a great buzz of anticipation prior to Derry games. Looking back, them and Meath were probably the two most talked about teams in 2009 on here.

i must say, one of the funniest things ever on the forum was the Dublin-esque, Messiah-like hype that was bestowed upon Damien Cassidy for the first few months of last year by a since departed poster, only for that same poster to call for his head after they were dumped out in June.

When the apotheosized John Brennan leads Lavey to a ninth John McLaughlin Cup (?) at the end of 2010 before landing the coveted Derry manager's job and guiding that county to GAA's Holy Grail in September 2011, come back to me TC.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri May 14, 2010 11:18 pm

mullins wrote:Tc you must hate Dublin..

You're right Mullins, I must do. I think that is obvious from all my posts on here or elsewhere for the last 6-7 years, most of which have been filled with hatred for the Dubs. Almost like a Tyrone version of Tomaoo7, you could say. Or, then again, maybe not.

Anyway, this thread is about Armagh and Derry. You've already tried to pick a little cyber fight with someone else this evening on the 'It's Dublin's to lose' thread, so let's keep this one to Armagh & Derry. How do you see that one going Mullins?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri May 14, 2010 11:22 pm

That is very possible too Samin. What makes you think that Shannon will start? IS that the word in Armagh? It wouldn't be a bad move, especially if it was for Mackin, who has more bad days than good days.

Armagh will have to be disciplined and cute, as Derry could turn this one into a very niggling and fractuous affair. Will be a different world to the last day out against Down.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Fri May 14, 2010 11:23 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
mullins wrote:Tc you must hate Dublin..

You're right Mullins, I must do. I think that is obvious from all my posts on here or elsewhere for the last 6-7 years, most of which have been filled with hatred for the Dubs. Almost like a Tyrone version of Tomaoo7, you could say. Or, then again, maybe not.

Anyway, this thread is about Armagh and Derry. You've already tried to pick a little cyber fight with someone else this evening on the 'It's Dublin's to lose' thread, so let's keep this one to Armagh & Derry. How do you see that one going Mullins?

I see Derry winning this by a couple of points......Derry have to much in the forwards for Armagh IMO ...As for that poster you mentioned never heard of him... Armagh v Derry - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Fri May 14, 2010 11:29 pm

Loyal, I'm definitely not a Derry fan but have great respect for the afore mentioned John Brennan. He was my first Senior manager and he farms land about a mile or so from our own ranch. A bit of a loose canon it must be said but I'd say that he's got more chance of becoming the next president of America than becoming the Derry manager in the near future.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 14, 2010 11:33 pm

i think Shannon will start mainly because he has been very steady the past two years and has never let us down. The main reason though is because i really think Toner will be needed at misfield which means someone will have to make way from the half forwards as Vernon will move there. So i think Mackin will make way from there. I think Mackin would be more usefull as a sub for last 15 minutes as in the Down game.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next