GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collie Moran announces his retirement

4 posters

Go down

Collie Moran announces his retirement Empty Collie Moran announces his retirement

Post  Shinners Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:31 am

I know that a lot of people don't rate him but sad that Collie Moran has hung up his boots at the age of just 28.
I personally thought he was a great servant to Dublin football and he did so well to come back from so many serious injuries.
His hard working, determined attitude will be missed on the Dublin team.
Shinners
Shinners

Longford living in Dublin
Number of posts : 982

Back to top Go down

Collie Moran announces his retirement Empty Re: Collie Moran announces his retirement

Post  bocerty Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:54 am

Shinners - i have to say he was never what i would have called a great footballer - in fact at times i wondered how he ever made it on the Dublin team. His passing sometimes was careless to say the least. He was more of a work horse and a ball winner than anything but then i suppose most counties have a player like him.

Sad to hear of a player so young pulling the pin but it seems to the done thing these days.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Collie Moran announces his retirement Empty Re: Collie Moran announces his retirement

Post  Shinners Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:14 am

He was a player you could rely on to win dirty ball and do a lot of donkey work but never really set the place alight.
He had a hip operation earlier in the year and was meant to ease himself back in with his club but he played a game recently and was in considerable pain afterwards. As far as I know - but I stand corrected - he has retired from the game completely. It must be hard to know that not only have you to stop playing for your county but your club also even though some people continue playing into their late 30s/early 40s.
Never say never though, remember Darren Homan? He picked up a "career ending" injury in training a few years back but then played a part in the Dublin Juniors winning the All Ireland last year.
Shinners
Shinners

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:18 am

Talk about unfulfilled potential. Back in 00/01 he looked like he had it all

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinners Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:30 am

Then he broke his leg and had one injury after the other. Shame really. He hadn't an arrogant bone in his body - he just played decent no frills football
Shinners
Shinners

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:38 am

I must admit, I didn't really rate him myself. I just think there were better players who could have played, and wasn't sure how he was captain. He seemed to be moved about in a couple of positions and at times it looked like they were accommodating him in the team.
But you could tell he's a decent fella, he looked like a fella who always gave it his all and worked really hard for his county, and for that he has to be respected. He has his critics, but it's not nice to see anyone being forced to retire at such a young age.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:10 pm

He was a likeable sort was Collie. Couldn't fault him for effort. not excatly the type to inject fear into to the hearts of the opposition though.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down