GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Euro 2012 Star Names

5 posters

Go down

Euro 2012 Star Names Empty Euro 2012 Star Names

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu May 17, 2012 5:55 pm

Few players who I think will dominate the Euros:

Mats Hummels - Germany
Marcel Schmelzer - Germany
Mario Gotze - Germany

Siem De Jong - Holland
Kevin Strootman - Holland

Phil Jones - England

Lukasz Piszczek - Poland

Mario Balotelli - Italy

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Euro 2012 Star Names Empty Re: Euro 2012 Star Names

Post  bocerty Thu May 17, 2012 7:06 pm

Add in Andy Carroll, Gareth Barry and Stewart Downing and you've got some classy footballers there Loyal!!!!!!!

bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Fri May 18, 2012 8:24 am

bocerty wrote:Add in Andy Carroll, Gareth Barry and Stewart Downing and you've got some classy footballers there Loyal!!!!!!!

Don't even get me started on the England squad!!
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri May 18, 2012 9:45 am

SamiPremier08 wrote:
bocerty wrote:Add in Andy Carroll, Gareth Barry and Stewart Downing and you've got some classy footballers there Loyal!!!!!!!

Don't even get me started on the England squad!!

dont think it was Roy Hodgsons squad SAMI, seems to be some gimp like Stuart Pearce picked the majority of that squad.

Defoe gets picked even though its over 2 years since he played competitively for England, and he cant even get a game for Spurs, add in Carroll who couldnt score in a brothel and Rooney who is suspended for 3 games, theres goals a plenty in that team.

bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Fri May 18, 2012 10:02 am

bocerty wrote:[add in Carroll who couldnt score in a brothel and Rooney who can certainly score in a brothel

Fixhed .... Very Happy
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri May 18, 2012 10:38 am

SamiPremier08 wrote: Don't even get me started on the England squad!!

Why not? Who were the glaring omissions?

It is the worst looking England squad in my lifetime, but that is a reflection of the poor quality of footballer that England are producing, and not Hodgson's decision making abilities.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri May 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:

It is the worst looking England squad in my lifetime, but that is a reflection of the poor quality of footballer that England are producing, and not Hodgson's decision making abilities.

not glaring omissions TC but i'd say Crouch and Carrick can feel aggrieved they didn't make the squad. Crouch has a record of a goal every other game, obviously the temptation is when he is on your playing like the old Wimbledon but i'd stick him on quicker than Carroll if i was in need of a goal.

How any one rates that Gareth Barry is beyond me, reminds me of Neil Lennon, every ball is passed either back or two yards sideways. At least Carrick gives you options with his range of passing, in fact Scholes would be better than any of the midfielders they have picked.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri May 18, 2012 6:21 pm

Scholes didn't want to play, so he doesn't enter the equation. Carrick? Not for what England need. A bit like the Republic, England will have to play a tight, defensive game, and hope to score on the break. They need midfielders who can run and tackle, and Carrick can do neither.

As for Crouch, well it was a choice between him and Carroll, and I think Roy got it right. Carroll is raw and limited, but his size and power alone may trouble continental defenders. Crouch is tall but weak, and the only sides he scores against are the likes of Belarus, Andorra or Jamaica.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri May 18, 2012 10:02 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:

Micah Richards. Rio Ferdinand. Daniel Sturridge. David Beckham.

If Jack Wilshere was fit, I'd fancy England to go all the way.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Sat May 19, 2012 11:11 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:

You are wrong that it reflects the quality of English football, because it doesn't as it isn't by any means the best squad England could have.

Unfortunately Hodgson has been extremely conservative and unimaginative in his selection and has gone for the same old players who have plenty of 'experience' but have also consistently proved themselves incapable of successful tournament football - many of this squad have kept their place since as far back as the World Cup 2002.

What Hodgson and the FA need to do is take a gamble on a younger, less-experienced squad who will go out there to prove their worth. Take a look at the success of the German team - they did exactly that. So did this year's English rugby team. Expectations are low, nothing to lose = take a chance.

Unfortunately it's the same old yet again - a team of admittedly good players but they are for some reason incapable of playing together.

The strike force is woeful - four strikers in a tournament?! One of them getting in because he has had a very, very late surge of half-decent performances after a shocking season. Defoe can't get first team football for his club, let alone country and Rooney is out for two games and will do eff all in the rest.

The most shocking omission for me is Peter Crouch. A fantastic goal-scoring record for England and can have a huge impact on a game of football.

And as for Stewart Downing...

pale
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat May 19, 2012 11:59 am

Like so many fans, particularly those who aren't old enough to have witnessed good English footballers, you are deluded into thinking that what you are seeing in the Premiership represents quality.

Peter Crouch's goal-scoring record? Against who? Jamaica? Andorra? Jermaine Defoe is not a good 'un, but he's better than Crouch. As is Carroll.

You talk about picking a young side, as though the results will magically be the same as what Germany achieved. Newsflash, Sami, the Germans produce good footballers - always have done. Besides, he is bringing the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jones, while Walker and Wiltshire would both have travelled but for injury - who else had you in mind, and who would they have replaced?

You aren't old enough to have witnessed the likes of Gascoigne, Lineker, Beardsley and Hoddle, but they were all good players, and yet they still failed. What you have today do not compare.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat May 19, 2012 12:01 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:...and Rooney is out for two games and will do eff all in the rest.

Just re-read this bit. Are you seriously suggesting that he is wrong to take Rooney? If so, I'm sorry I even bothered replying constructively in the first place. Crazy.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat May 19, 2012 12:44 pm

The England squad is good. When you look at what the Italians and the French have, England aren't exactly bad. Portugal and Holland are marginally better, and Spain and Germany are ahead of everyone. Then you have your Russians and Croatians. So England fifth best at worst.

But Roy should have picked Sturridge - he's better than Defore and Carroll. Micah Richards tired himself out again - but the best right back in the Premiership easily. Ferdinand was a no-brainer. I suppose the Terry thing cost him.

My England team for the first game would be:

Hart
Jones - Terry - Lescott - Cole
Barry - Parker
Walcott - Lampard - Young
Welbeck

Not a bad side really although I guess Johnson will get the nod at right-back. It'll be tight between Lescott and Cahill as well. Right midfield is a problem. Be interesting to see who gets the nod, Fat Frank or Stevie G or will we find the two of them playing together yet again. Welbeck will do damage up front.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Sat May 19, 2012 2:51 pm

I'm not deluded into thinking anything. I know what is on offer at the moment is not anywhere near to the standard England have had in the past.

What I'm saying is that there are players who are not getting a look in and pretty much the same squad - yes with some exceptions like Welbeck and Oxlade-Chamberlain - is getting picked over and over again for the tournaments. The same squad that keeps performing badly.

I know that the Germans will be able to muster a better young team than England and I'm not suggesting for a minute that we can produce a better side or replicate the success of Germany.

However I do think that it would be a step in the right direction to try something similar to what Germany have done in putting out a team with less of the same old names.

These players have had their chance and haven't produced what anybody would expect of them - there are players like Adam Johnson and Grant Holt who should be given their chance in the national team.

And sorry but I have to disagree with you on the strike force. It isn't promising. Rooney is a good player - no disputing that but he was an utter let down in the last world cup, his attitude and performances were shocking.

I have no idea how you can come to the conclusion that Andy Carroll is better than Peter Crouch. That is just ridiculous.

I look forward to the Euros as I do every time a tournament comes around but this England squad will need to do something incredible to impress.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down