GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Sports

+5
black&white
Boxtyeater
Thomas Clarke
Parouisa
RMDrive
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

US Sports Empty US Sports

Post  RMDrive Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:38 pm

This years shortened NBA season is proving tough on the older teams, with Boston, LA and Dallas all a bit shakey. I follow the Pacers who are having a great season. They are a team with no real superstars yet they have 7-8 guys who can get it done on any particular night. A recipe that is working a treat so far. They have road wins against LA, Dallas, Chicago, Boston and Orlando and with their schedule front loaded with road games, they are in a great position to get into the playoffs in 4-5th position.

There's talk of this being the all-time best dunk ... not convinced myself but there's no denying that it's a little bit special.

RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

US Sports Empty Re: US Sports

Post  Parouisa Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:46 am

As Boxty would say ...... not sports ... Evil or Very Mad
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:21 am

Parouisa wrote:As Boxty would say ...... not sports ... Evil or Very Mad

Indeed, those guys, of course, wouldn't be athletes of the calibre of Rory Best or The Bull Hayes. Rolling Eyes

A good new thread RMD, and a shame that it appears that many of us watch different US sports, lessening the likelihood of debate. I'd watch a lot of NFL, but haven't watched basketball in years. And not sure who will be adding their thoughts on baseball or hockey. Perhaps Parouisa could undertake to research and report on one of those?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:28 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:And not sure who will be adding their thoughts on baseball or hockey. Perhaps Parouisa could undertake to research and report on one of those?

Have researched both thoroughly TC - but am afraid to say 'nothing to see here folks - move along ....'
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:37 am

Parouisa wrote:As Boxty would say ...... not sports ... Evil or Very Mad

Disappointing to see Forum King Man (RMD) dragging this bullsh1t to the board. A bare year or two ago, Boxty chastised the poster formerly known as "6inarow" for bringing this type of cock to the Board (in a mildly fuelled state of intoxication).
These "sporting" activities are inculcations of such commercial giants as Tayto, Denny's sausages and Avonmore products.

This activity bears many semblances with rogbee football....big fat steroid fuelled lumps bashing around the park for 5 minutes or so every half-hour....FFS...US Sports Smiley53
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:18 pm

Time to revive a much under-rated thread.

Big news in US Sport today, and the Indianapolis Colts have released their legendary quarterback, Peyton Manning. After 14 years as arguably the best quarterback in the NFL, Manning missed the whole of the last season due to injury and, with a $28m bonus owed to him next week, the Colts have decided not to take the chance on whether or not he will recover.

Manning will almost certainly sign for someone else, and will hopefully make the Colts regret their decision further down the line.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:45 pm

Hard to blame the colts in a way though TC. Big gamble.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:10 am

$28m is a lot to pay if they don't know whether Peyton will be able to throw the ball further than 20 yards. Even more so when they will be taking a seemingly ready-made replacement with the No. 1 pick.

ESPN had an interesting fact about this that made me think that Irsay has probably made the sensible decision. If the Colts had paid the bonus and kept Manning, and also taken Luck in the draft, they would be using over $50m of their salary cap on a single position. Would leave them very tight to fill out the other positions on the team. It'd be very interesting to see if Irsay would have made a different decision if the Colts had the #3 or #4 pick.

Hopefully Peyton will be able to play - the signs look good - and hopefully he goes somewhere that will give him the opportunity to make it back to the playoffs (even though any team with a Manning under centre should be making the playoffs, even if they have an otherwise average team). Seems like he's ruled out going to an NFC East team, which means he won't go to Washington (it would have been interesting to see him try to work with Shanahan), but anywhere else is a possibility.
Expect a "Where will he go?" saga to put Brett Favre's "Will he, won't he" retirement dilemmas to shame!
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:11 am

Yeah, I agree RMD. Manning was very emotional at the press conference today, and I'd say he'd love to make his old team regret their decision.

Still, I agree, in pure business terms, and with the chance to draft Andrew Luck as his successor, it really was the only decision the Colts could have taken.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:15 am

Yeah, hard to know where he will end up. I can't see him wanting the goldfish bowl of New York, and everybody seems to think that Washington would be a disaster.

That leaves Arizona, Seattle, Cleveland, Kansas, Miami and San Francisco. I don't think it will be San Francisco or Cleveland, and I'd doubt it will be Kansas. I'd bet on Seattle, Miami and Arizona, in that order.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:20 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:Yeah, hard to know where he will end up. I can't see him wanting the goldfish bowl of New York, and everybody seems that Washington would be a disaster.

That leaves Arizona, Seattle, Cleveland, Kansas, Miami and San Francisco. I don't think it will be San Francisco or Cleveland, and I'd doubt it will be Kansas. I'd bet on Seattle, Miami and Arizona, in that order.

I'd agree with those likely destinations, but I reckon that Miami is possibly more likely than Seattle. Brandon Marshall is a nice carrot to entice Peyton with!

As an outside call, I could see the Broncos sniffing around as well. Elway would relish the opportunity to work with Peyton, and Tebow could learn an awful lot from a season or two of watching Manning and being schooled by Elway.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:24 am

black&white wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:Yeah, hard to know where he will end up. I can't see him wanting the goldfish bowl of New York, and everybody seems that Washington would be a disaster.

I'd agree with those likely destinations, but I reckon that Miami is possibly more likely than Seattle. Brandon Marshall is a nice carrot to entice Peyton with!

As an outside call, I could see the Broncos sniffing around as well. Elway would relish the opportunity to work with Peyton, and Tebow could learn an awful lot from a season or two of watching Manning and being schooled by Elway.

Miami's owner would want him more than the new head coach, so that may put Manning off, but yes, the Dolphins are serious players. As a Dolphins fan, a large part of me would like to see them secure him, but another part of me thinks someone who can offer more than 2-3 years would be a better bet. As for the Broncos, Elway would certainly like to have him, but there is no way they can bench Tebow at this stage. Just can't see Manning wanting to put himself into that sort of controversy.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:23 pm

Is there something about the tax rate that sportspeople play in Florida i.e. that it's low??
Saw a tweet a few weeks back about LBJ going to Miami and it mentioned the tax he would pay?
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:34 am

RMDrive wrote:Is there something about the tax rate that sportspeople play in Florida i.e. that it's low??
Saw a tweet a few weeks back about LBJ going to Miami and it mentioned the tax he would pay?

No personal income taxes (not just sportspeople). Only have to pay your Federal Income taxes.
http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2009/gt800025.pdf

Another one of the reasons why so many retired people like to move there.

Texas, Nevada and a few other states have a similar situation. As far as I'm aware Nevada is one of the most tax-free places to live. You pay sales tax and that's about it (although property-based taxes do apply)

There's also one or two states in which personal income taxes are actually prohibited by the State Constitution (yup - some of the states have their own constitutions, subsidiary to the US Constitution!)
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:20 am

only back form the states last week on the sports channels they were testing out the NFL players . only had a passing interest but did hear the news reporter say that when testing the quarter backs manning said he wouldnt/ couldnt do any throwing in front of the scouts and tv cameras, the writing was on the wall for him then.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:27 am

Sounds like slightly crossed wires there RHM. You are indeed correct about the testing, as last week was the annual NFL draft, when all the top college players from across the country converged on Indianapolis to be put through their paces in various drills by scouts from around the league.

The top 2 quarterback prospects, Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III, both participated in all the drills, except throwing the ball. To put this in context, it would be akin to a corner forward attending a trial for a county football team, but refusing to demonstrate his kicking!

Manning, nor any other existing NFL quarterback, would be expected to perform such drills while under contract to a side (i.e. the Colts) but, given Mannings injury, there is considerable speculation as regards how much velocity he can put on the ball now. He has been working out behind closed doors, and the reports are mixed, but he will not be asked by any prospective team to do a full 'sing-for-his-supper' assessment like the college guys.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:38 am

I was only passing some time watching it but I thought they had some pro's testing too , guys who were up for moves but what u say about manning seems right his could have been private training
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:59 am

redhandman wrote:I was only passing some time watching it but I thought they had some pro's testing too , guys who were up for moves but what u say about manning seems right his could have been private training

Pros who are out of contract may test (for example, someone like the great receiver Randy Moss, who retired last year, but now wants to make a comeback), but not at the college players Combine.

As for Manning, there will probably be some teams who would want to see him throw the ball before commiting millions of $ to him, but others won't, and my guess is that the side who takes him at his word, is more likely to get him than the one who asks him to dance.

The reason that the Colts let Manning go is not restricted his injury and $28m contract bonus that was due, but also because they have the No.1 selection in the draft (having oatained this honour by virtue of having the worst record of any side last season). They will use that to pick Andrew Luck, the top college quarterback last year, and a young lad who many believe is the best prospect to come out of college since a young Peyton Manning!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:01 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Time to revive a much under-rated thread.

Big news in US Sport today, and the Indianapolis Colts have released their legendary quarterback, Peyton Manning. After 14 years as arguably the best quarterback in the NFL, Manning missed the whole of the last season due to injury and, with a $28m bonus owed to him next week, the Colts have decided not to take the chance on whether or not he will recover.

Manning will almost certainly sign for someone else, and will hopefully make the Colts regret their decision further down the line.

something similar to the bonuses TC picks up on an annual basis!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:18 pm

bocerty wrote: something similar to the bonuses TC picks up on an annual basis!!!!

If only Boc, if only! Very tough year in financial services - bonuses announced last week, and I'm now surrounded by a lot of very disappointed people! Crying or Very sad
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote: something similar to the bonuses TC picks up on an annual basis!!!!

If only Boc, if only! Very tough year in financial services - bonuses announced last week, and I'm now surrounded by a lot of very disappointed people! Crying or Very sad

those poor people, should be organise a collection for them!!!!! i'd swap places with any one of them
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Ah now Boc, don't believe all you read in the papers. Lot of people on moderate salaries losing their jobs, not just the big shots (one of which, I sadly am not, I must add!).
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:50 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Ah now Boc, don't believe all you read in the papers. Lot of people on moderate salaries losing their jobs, not just the big shots (one of which, I sadly am not, I must add!).

a moderate salary in the finance industry being £100k+ i'd say - banks bailed out by taxpayers like me (at least i will be for the next 4 months after that its anyone's guess) and yet i dont get a bonus.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:05 pm

RMDrive wrote:

I always thought he was dead...must check again.

US Sports Untitl10
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:22 pm

[quote="bocerty"]
Thomas Clarke wrote:
a moderate salary in the finance industry being £100k+ i'd say - banks bailed out by taxpayers like me (at least i will be for the next 4 months after that its anyone's guess) and yet i dont get a bonus.

Not at all Boc, there are many people working for a tiny fraction of that. The people earning the huge money are usually front office traders/brokers/salespeople and the likes, or top level corporate bankers. There aren't too many back/middle office or support staff earning £100k. Some are, but that would be nowhere remotely near the average.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next