GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A celtic soccer league

2 posters

Go down

A celtic soccer league Empty A celtic soccer league

Post  North Side Gael Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:36 am

Would it be worthwhile? With the beginning of another celtic rugby league would a celtic soccer league work?

Such as Rangers, Hearts, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs, Shams, Derry City, Bohs, Pats, Sligo, Linfield, Glentoran and Cliftonville.

You could also have a second division in it, would it improve gates, standards, european possibilities, noticibly only one team from this has qualified for europe this year, i think it would and it would generate interest, such as a celtic premiership with a championship below, maybe it would not be financialaly viable?

Maybe a criteria would be to make financially viable, sportingly viable, stadia viable?

What yous think? i wreckon it could work with a replica of the rugby, the rugby grounds dont fill up, they arent massive but these clubs make money and are not in trouble financially why not soccer?
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

A celtic soccer league Empty Re: A celtic soccer league

Post  black&white Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:48 pm

North Side Gael wrote:Would it be worthwhile? With the beginning of another celtic rugby league would a celtic soccer league work?

Such as Rangers, Hearts, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs, Shams, Derry City, Bohs, Pats, Sligo, Linfield, Glentoran and Cliftonville.

You could also have a second division in it, would it improve gates, standards, european possibilities, noticibly only one team from this has qualified for europe this year, i think it would and it would generate interest, such as a celtic premiership with a championship below, maybe it would not be financialaly viable?

Maybe a criteria would be to make financially viable, sportingly viable, stadia viable?

What yous think? i wreckon it could work with a replica of the rugby, the rugby grounds dont fill up, they arent massive but these clubs make money and are not in trouble financially why not soccer?

Probably need to call it something else if you wanted Ranger, Hearts and some of the Northern teams to compete Laughing .

In seriousness though, I could see security issues being a bit of a problem with this. Elements (i.e. most) of the Shams support would be liable to kick off in matches involving Rangers, Linfield and co., whilst Linfield fans have in the past caused trouble when travelling South for pre-season games (although in fairness the trouble been's fairly well-contained for Setanta Cup games).
Throw in all the numpties down here who'll see a visit by Rangers as a chance to get out and cause some trouble (and likewise for some in the North when Celtic come calling).

Other than that, I can see the biggest obstacle (other than FIFA/UEFA opposition) being the arrogance of SPL teams who see themselves as on a par with the middle-tier Premiership teams. SPL has slipped down quite a bit in recent years, and it hasn't quite sunk in yet.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down