GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Golf thread

+19
mossbags
Grenvile
Royal_Girl2k9
samin12
Real Kerry Fan
black&white
RMDrive
mullins
bocerty
The Puke
Loyal2TheRoyal
OMAR
Thomas Clarke
redhandman
Boxtyeater
patrique
hurlingguru
Jayo Cluxton
GAAGenious
23 posters

Page 5 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Go down

The Golf thread - Page 5 Empty Re: The Golf thread

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:15 pm

Birdied the 9th to go to 13 under again .. but bogeyed the 10th (unluckily) to go back to 12 under! Still 7 ahead!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:16 pm

13 under par again. He's looking good for it once he keeps the head. I know someone who put a bet on him to win it at 20/1 as well... Lucky fecker.
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath
Number of posts : 1144

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:37 pm

Just short on 12th with putt to go to -14 under!!! Amazing golf from this man boy!!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:10 am

-14 thru 14 and 9 clear!! It is actually getting embarrassing

Regardless of what this lad does between now and the next 22 holes this is awesome! And I believe tomorrow will be a procession. If he was American or English!! or Australian or any other country they would be salivating about him! Maybe we are too but we need to rub our eyes a bit more to believe - eh Loyal??

As in other sports (boxing, soccer, horse racing) we have punched well above our weight in golf. Harry and G Mc and others have brought great success to this little ole island but Rory Mc is tearing up the world order. He is smashing records held by the greats and is doing things not even Tiger did.

He is destroying - absolutely destroying - the world's best. And he is 22! And he is a natural and will probably only get better. He has the potential to be Ireland's Messi or Federer.

As an Irish person enjoy what he is doing. NOBODY has done anything like it before and probably never will again - unless Rory himself does! Simply amazing stuff - a legend at 22!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:18 am

Nobody has ever been at -14 in the whole history of the US Open - ever!!! Monty says he has never seen golf like it! Incredible really!

God he is taking the shine and headlines from the Dublin hurlers!! Shocked
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:13 am

Unlucky on last but a par is better than yesterday's double bogey!

54 holes of top class C'ship golf - 1 bogey, 1 double bogey, 36 pars, 1 eagle and 15 birdies - quite incredible really.

8 shots clear - there has not been a performance like this for many years - if ever!

G'wan Rory!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:33 am

My brother was a fanatic for the golf. He died a short 4 years ago. If someone had said Ireland would win 4 majors in the next 4 years, and maybe a 5th tomorrow, sure they would have carted you away.

All my life it was "Fred Daly, 1947, British open". That was it. The great Christy, and naturals like Darren, and a host of others "Good old Darce" the Ryder cup hero, but no danger of a major.

Then along comes Padraig, and then Graeme.

Strange as it may seem Graeme winning last year, and a great win it was, has opened the door for Rory. Rory, even when he was ribbing Graeme after last year's win, you could see it in his face, "I'm better than him....I could be winning these"

Now he needs to close it out. Tiger did it 14 times, all from the front, only failed once when he lost to some unknown called Yang. Yes, the same one.

If he loses..............

But nah, tempt fate....come on Rory........
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:01 am

Padraig was (is) good - Graeme too - but this is a different story altogether. Can't see any blow-up this time P - this guy is unbelievable. Augusta is long forgotten - this guy is playing golf that has never been seen before. Pity the bro - God rest him - didn't get to enjoy the last 4 years but he may be up there somewhere enjoying it anyhow!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:54 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Padraig was (is) good - Graeme too - but this is a different story altogether. Can't see any blow-up this time P - this guy is unbelievable. Augusta is long forgotten - this guy is playing golf that has never been seen before. Pity the bro - God rest him - didn't get to enjoy the last 4 years but he may be up there somewhere enjoying it anyhow!

Oh he will indeed.

He also loved watching Ireland in the Rugby, missed the Grand slam and all.............
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:46 am

Very impressive stuff again. He started a bit nervously yesterday, getting into trouble on 3 of the first 4 holes, but made some stunning recoveries to settle himself, and never really looked in trouble from then on.

Ironically, probably the best shot he hit all day was his bunker shot on the 10th, even though he made a bogey on the hole. To get the ball to 8ft from where he was was incredible - one of the commentators on SKY described it as the best bunker shot he had ever seen.

So, worst case scenario today is that Yang or one of the guys at -5 shoots a 65 to get to -11 or -12. That would mean that Rory would just need to go round in +1 or +2 for the day. More likely, however, is that no-one gets within half a dozen shots of him, and Ireland has a new sporting hero, perhaps one who may end up being unlike any we have seen before.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:30 pm

Amazing stuff so far - Only thing that compares in recent memory would be Woods in Augusta in 1997 when the course was much shorter than it is today and Woods at pebble beech in 2000 - which was more a case of Woods mastering the weather rather than the course.

TC mentions the 10th - and he followed the bogey up with a tee shot on eleven than found heavy enough rough - an amazing seven iron to 12 feet solved that problem.

Hopefully the lead is wide enough that there is no pressure - Disapointing interview with Westwood - if anyone saw it (Hes crumbled before so who knows what can happen sort of stuff) Thought he was better than that.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:35 pm

he reacted very well to dropping the shot at the tenth (which is classed as the hardest hole on the course from what i remember) by picking the shot up at the next hole which bodes well for his mental approach. He didnt panic, he made some very good choices too when he needed too, i think it was the third were he was in the rough ans rather than attack the pin he just played out into the fairway again and the third shot was unbelievable and left him no more than a foot for the whole.

Hes that good I suggest he puts himself out to stud - the offspring wouldnt be pretty but by god they could be great golfers!!!!

If he wins today there wont be a cow milked car stolen in Belfast tonight
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:53 pm

Strange thing here is that McIlroy's big lead take the pressure of the others, as they are not expected to win.

In the past, last year's Open, Westwood did well to finish second but there was no pressure on him. The one time he had a chance to win., US open a few years ago, he blew it.
Padraig Harrington nearly "blew" his first major, who can forget those two visits to the water, so they have all done it.

Today I think Rory will win.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Very impressive stuff again. He started a bit nervously yesterday, getting into trouble on 3 of the first 4 holes, but made some stunning recoveries to settle himself, and never really looked in trouble from then on.

Ironically, probably the best shot he hit all day was his bunker shot on the 10th, even though he made a bogey on the hole. To get the ball to 8ft from where he was was incredible - one of the commentators on SKY described it as the best bunker shot he had ever seen.

So, worst case scenario today is that Yang or one of the guys at -5 shoots a 65 to get to -11 or -12. That would mean that Rory would just need to go round in +1 or +2 for the day. More likely, however, is that no-one gets within half a dozen shots of him, and Ireland has a new sporting hero, perhaps one who may end up being unlike any we have seen before.

Apart from George, of course.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:38 pm

BIRDIED THE FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:36 pm

I thought of George when I wrote that, but I do believe that McIlroy has the potential to make at least as great an impact on world sport. Early days, of course, but the potential is there.

9 shots clear with 12 holes to go. It's now a question of 'by how much?'
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:23 pm

I was hoping he'd stay bogey free for this round Crying or Very sad but he is playing rematkably well. I hope he can pick up a birdie or two and close out the 72 holes in real style. Its a procession as I thought it would be - he'll be able to take the putter off the tee on the 18th the way things are going!!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:29 pm

I'm watching and supporting him and maybe it's not the time to mention it but.. He's a **** in real life.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:41 pm

Jonsmith wrote:I'm watching and supporting him and maybe it's not the time to mention it but.. He's a **** in real life.

Hey buddy - of course its the right time to mention it ... you are Irish!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:47 pm

Two birdies in the last three holes would be the marzipan on the caca milis!!! Be like OMAR Rory - stay in the 60s!!!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:56 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Two birdies in the last three holes would be the marzipan on the caca milis!!! Be like OMAR Rory - stay in the 60s!!!

He's already smashed the record now hasn't he? What's the prize money for this?

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:59 pm

Jaysus typical Cavan man!!! Its not ALL about money JS!!! Razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:09 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Jaysus typical Cavan man!!! Its not ALL about money JS!!! Razz

Typical Dub with the smart fookin answer.. Razz

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:16 am

Looks like he's going to hold on. Some good character on show after the Masters episode, he's clearly a good prospect on what is only his third pro-win and his first major. On that point, seemingly the course has been very easy this week and the difficulty factor is not what it has been in past US Opens. Plus the wide fairways suit McIllroy. But to be fair, his putting is better than before. And really the others are just not able to catch him.

I fear the Irish will go to town on this though and we might even out-do the carry-on after the Six Nations. It will be hard to listen to all the golfy people as well as those who will suddenly become experts in all things golf.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:24 am

Some of the records he will smash JS - prize money is Stg €780,000!!!

Lowest score in relation to par in a U.S. Open, 72 holes: 12-under, Tiger Woods, 2000 U.S. Open. McIlroy currently at -16 with one to play!!

Lowest aggregate score in a U.S. Open, 72 holes: 272, held by Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus, Lee Janzen, and Jim Furyk. Currently heading for 268!!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next