GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Golf thread

+19
mossbags
Grenvile
Royal_Girl2k9
samin12
Real Kerry Fan
black&white
RMDrive
mullins
bocerty
The Puke
Loyal2TheRoyal
OMAR
Thomas Clarke
redhandman
Boxtyeater
patrique
hurlingguru
Jayo Cluxton
GAAGenious
23 posters

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Go down

The Golf thread - Page 16 Empty Re: The Golf thread

Post  bald eagle Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:05 am

His former has improved massively since he stopped hanging out of a certain tennis lovely! Brilliant performance from him, the back 9 was wonderful stuff, old Phils iron game almost brought him home the bacon! Great win.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:08 am

Remind me again of the exact words that Puke used when disparaging 'Ulster grit'.

And Loyal was wildly off the mark here too.

Roll on Rio 2016!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:48 pm

What a great night's golf and tremendous performance from McIlroy. Kieran McGeeneyesque resolve when it mattered some of his shots rank with the best of all time. Great entertainment in fairness.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:49 pm

Tremendous result from a GAA Golf classic in middle England - via Sky Sports News.....

A previously unheralded golf prodigy claimed the beginners prize on Saturdays outing. A mixture of steely nerve, lenghty drives and green craft saw him amass 29 points, which was enough to claim the coveted
Gerlock trophy.

Smoke that one Rory.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Tremendous result from a GAA Golf classic in middle England - via Sky Sports News.....

A previously unheralded golf prodigy claimed the beginners prize on Saturdays outing. A mixture of steely nerve, lenghty drives and green craft saw him amass 29 points, which was enough to claim the coveted
Gerlock trophy.

Smoke that one Rory.....

9 hole ?
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:32 am

Eh! no actually. I gather, from the scant report available that it was, in fact 18 holes - playing off 28.

Outrageous you say and indeed it may well be, but there are considerations here. There may have been
late night/early morning refreshments and sleep deprivation issues, but a win is a win. The longest journey begins with the 1st. step and all that.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:08 am

One observation I have is that Golf will be a sport in serious decline in coming decades.
I like a lot of my age group took an interest in the sport "caddying for the auld fella " when I was a cub.
Me and my generation played junior competitions and then in late teens / college years played weekly in summer months between football and summer bar jobs.( keeping a handicap somewhere in mid teens) Then the custom was once the football faded early thirties you would take it a bit more serious and graduate to a weekly fourball and midweek 12 hole followed by scoops and made strides towards low teens / high single digit handicap ( one punter in ten being a bit more serious)

To pardon the pun this was par for the course.

However there now seems to be a huge sway in the migration of has been footballers to new sporting interests.
The increase in the popularity of cycling, running, triathlons, kayakathons, Duathlons, mud-runs, cycling up mountains etc. etc. amongst 30/40 something's is astounding.

I'm down in Rosses Point this week( fleadh groupie ) and saw 2/3 dads with sons on the putting green - at the same time on the 7km stretch to town met 20 odd cyclists and a dozen joggers.

A few years ago the male ego equivalent of designer handbags was having the latest Taylor Mades.
Now it's being 10kg overweight but paying 10,000 for a Carbon Sworks that's 2kg lighter than the 900 euro version.

Father son bonding is now completing Gaelforce (cycle & mountain run etc etc.) rather than having a dozen smithwick shandys after a Sunday morning round when you are 16 and being 5 hours late for the Roast Beef.
Auld fella taking the blame from the war office.

As I said its a game in decline - I blame Bocerty for starting this trend

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:59 am

OMAR wrote:The increase in the popularity of cycling, running, triathlons, kayakathons, Duathlons, mud-runs, cycling up mountains etc. etc. amongst 30/40 something's is astounding.
Any middle-aged man partaking in such activities deserves the decades of joint and back problems that are coming his way.

Marathon runners are the most pointless of all such hobbyists, frequently destroying their knees because they 'just had to get through that last 6K'.  I'll remind you of the two most famous marathon runners in history - Pheidippides, who tragically died as a result of his exertions, and Jimmy Savile, who tragically didn't.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16