GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bernard Brogan is a god

+9
Thomas Clarke
JimWexford
mullins
Shinners
OMAR
Grenvile
bocerty
Jayo Cluxton
whiterbananas
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bernard Brogan is a god Empty Bernard Brogan is a god

Post  whiterbananas Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:41 pm

Never passes the ball to anyone (apart from occasionally to the brother). Then when they needed a goal yesterday he knocks the ball over the bar just to get another point for himself, rather than dropping it in to the square. Ref blows the whistle and the dubs are out. Will never be a great player until he loses this selfishness
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Bernard Brogan is a god Empty Re: Bernard Brogan is a god

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:43 pm

Ah its getting ****ing ridiculous now. Ah sure you have to laugh.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:57 pm

whiterbananas wrote:Never passes the ball to anyone (apart from occasionally to the brother). Then when they needed a goal yesterday he knocks the ball over the bar just to get another point for himself, rather than dropping it in to the square. Ref blows the whistle and the dubs are out. Will never be a great player until he loses this selfishness

ridiculous post - may i suggest you refer to my signature No No No No No
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:18 pm

He's a rare talent. Himself and Gooch were the two outstanding forwards of the year. His accuracy is something else, the way he rifled the ball into the bottom corner for the goal yesterday is something few players could do in that situation.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:29 pm

Jonsmith wrote:the way he rifled the ball into the bottom corner for the goal yesterday is something few players could do in that situation.

The amazing thing about it was that is was his first touch - one minute in. To clinically execute that chance after an hour would be first class finishing. To do it with rhe first touch of the ball was incredible.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:32 pm

Why did he go for a point then in the last few seconds even though the dubs were 2 points down?? To add to his own personal tally thats why. I know he is an accurate shooter but there's more to being a forward than just scoring. He should spend the rest of the year studying dvds of the gooch and The Mort and see how they make the most of every opportunity. Great players always take the right option. BB does not
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:35 pm

whiterbananas wrote:Why did he go for a point then in the last few seconds even though the dubs were 2 points down?? To add to his own personal tally thats why. I know he is an accurate shooter but there's more to being a forward than just scoring. He should spend the rest of the year studying dvds of the gooch and The Mort and see how they make the most of every opportunity. Great players always take the right option. BB does not

Ah jaysus he's only a young lad. Don't be pressurising him by comparing him to the Mort. Next he'll be dying his hair and wearing Michael Jackson t-shirts. In Dublin we dream of unearthing a player of Mort's class.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:36 pm

whiterbananas wrote:Why did he go for a point then in the last few seconds even though the dubs were 2 points down?? To add to his own personal tally thats why. I know he is an accurate shooter but there's more to being a forward than just scoring. He should spend the rest of the year studying dvds of the gooch and The Mort and see how they make the most of every opportunity. Great players always take the right option. BB does not

This is where any credibility to that post comes to a sudden halt
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:41 pm

The Mort will forever be remembered for the attempted Volley v Sligo this year. Quality stuff.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinners Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:43 pm

The Mort and Bernard Brogan in the same thread. lol! lol! lol!

Silly season has begun Bernard Brogan is a god 654413 Bernard Brogan is a god 654413 Bernard Brogan is a god 654413
Shinners
Shinners

Longford living in Dublin
Number of posts : 982

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:47 pm

Yeah he's a great player alright, no Graham, but still great Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:49 pm

mmmmm i didnt think that was the title i gave this thread.......

No freedom of speech around here anymore??
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:59 pm

whiterbananas wrote:mmmmm i didnt think that was the title i gave this thread.......

No freedom of speech around here anymore??

The freedom of speak, like any other constitutional right, is not absolute.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:31 am

whiterbananas wrote:Never passes the ball to anyone (apart from occasionally to the brother). Then when they needed a goal yesterday he knocks the ball over the bar just to get another point for himself, rather than dropping it in to the square. Ref blows the whistle and the dubs are out. Will never be a great player until he loses this selfishness

if you think bernards god, wait till you see the next god to make the next step from the hill...the hill will be down a booing whistler dub..but they will have a new hero on the pk Rolling Eyes
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:11 pm

Is he from Kilkenny as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:17 pm

Just a few comments from the great Darragh O Se........

Poor decision-making cost them. On the pitch. Blame lies with the players and some daft, daft decisions. Dublin should have calmed themselves and closed it out but Bernard Brogan made horrendous mistakes when the game was there to be closed down. Bernard Brogan – with the game in the balance – to go to his left leg on the end line kicking into the Hill 16 goal? Maurice Fitz on his best day ever wouldn’t try that. Mentally the first thing that should go into a forward’s head is that this is a game-breaker. A Peter Canavan, a Stephen O’Neill, a Pádraig Joyce, a Colm Cooper, each one of them would do the same thing. They’d turn away from the pot, wheel it around and back into circulation and keep rotating possession until a better chance came or they forced a free. Bad decisions.

whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:22 pm

whiterbananas wrote:Just a few comments from the great Darragh O Se........

Poor decision-making cost them. On the pitch. Blame lies with the players and some daft, daft decisions. Dublin should have calmed themselves and closed it out but Bernard Brogan made horrendous mistakes when the game was there to be closed down. Bernard Brogan – with the game in the balance – to go to his left leg on the end line kicking into the Hill 16 goal? Maurice Fitz on his best day ever wouldn’t try that. Mentally the first thing that should go into a forward’s head is that this is a game-breaker. A Peter Canavan, a Stephen O’Neill, a Pádraig Joyce, a Colm Cooper, each one of them would do the same thing. They’d turn away from the pot, wheel it around and back into circulation and keep rotating possession until a better chance came or they forced a free. Bad decisions.

Ah sure fellas make mistakes on the pitch all the time - surprised at O'Se's nitpicking here. How many stupid red cards did ge pick up over the years due to daft, daft actions? Even great players make mistakes - fewer, but they still make them. If BB had shot narrowly wide in the first minute DOS would be saying he should have taken the point cos it was his first touch etc. Easy to call it from the armchair - even if he is a legend.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:37 pm

Dara might be new to this whole punditry thing, but he needs to learn that you can't constructively criticise anything to do with Dublin on here. Bernard Brogan is a god Icon_smile

The points, while harsh, were accurate Jayo. I've no doubt that Brogan's poor shooting/decision-making (right up to his last point, when a goal was needed) was caused by exhaustion. Tired players make mistakes. But it is still a fair point, in that it is these sort of mistakes that cost Dublin the game in the last 7-8 minutes. It is a bit tough on Brogan, as he was outstanding for an hour, but he did make some poor decisions in those final stages, when the game was decided.

Dara is paid to analyse a game and identify why it was won/lost. I'd rather him try to do that than blandly say 'ah, poor Dublin, they battled bravely but were unlucky at the end - roll on 2011'....
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:53 pm

No I accept the point but in the overall context it is very harsh. Brogan was majestic on Sunday. And like I said Darragh had some stupid sending offs in his day - maybe due to exhaustion! Laughing

Brogan and O'Gara were shattered - they were right down in front of me. At least one should have been withdrawn earlier.

I don't think we were unlucky. As I said we had half a team in their first full season and therefore a lot of inexperience. Mistakes were made on the pitch and definitely on the line. As long as lessons are learned .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:00 pm

Fair enough, the using of Brogan as an example was probably harsh, given the fine game he had. But he shot selection in the last 10 minutes did affect the outcome (admittedly, his shooting in the first hour had put Dublin in the driving seat).

I'm not sure that Gilroy made too many mistakes though Jayo. Realisticaly, what could he have done differently? Maybe replaced O'Gara and McConnell (one was done and one was walking a discplinary tightrope), but did he have suitable replacements at that stage?

Darren Magee's injury was costly, as he would have been useful for 10 minutes to mark Murphy or Kavanagh, but not sure who else they had on the bench that could have done a similar role. Likewise, I'm not surew that they had a suitable replacement for O'Gara (i.e. someone to get out in front of Cadogan, win a ball and hold it up).
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:04 pm

TC, I have bemoaned the lack of options on the bench (Jayo ideal! Sad ) but I think Keaney could have got 10 minutes more that he did. He is not as mobile as O'Gara but if he gets a ball into his chest it sticks. But Giller will have to look at this closely for future reference!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:10 pm

Possibly Jayo might have done something, but I'm not convinced. The last time I saw him he looked finished, but I havent seen him recently so unfair to say what he could have done.

Keaney seems to have regressed. He looked excellent in 2005, and in patches since, but I don't think he would have caused Cadogan much trouble with so little support around him. Keaney has maybe been a casualty of the system, a bit like Mossy.

What about Kevin McManaman? He played in almost every league game, but seems to have fallen well down the list as the summer has gone on.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:13 pm

He had a couple of stinkers in the qualifiers alright but he has a bit of pace so may have been worth a shout. Mossy and Keaney are definitely victims of the system. They are not mobile or fast enough for it. You have to hit Keaney with the ball but he usually makes it stick and can kick points from anywhere and has shown this in the past. He didn't get enough time to get into it but having said that, the stage the game was at was not one he wouldl thrive in.

My thinking on Jayo is that he would have been good for 15 minutes fitness wise - and the two Cork defenders would have been tiring - even Cadogan. One of his strengths is his running into space (the only one in the Pillar era most days) and ability to draw fouls. And BB and he had one on one by then - one slip and Jayo could always sniff out a goal ....... remember 1995. Alas he walked down Clonliffe in his civvies ... like me!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:

one slip and Jayo could always sniff out a goal ....... remember 1995. Alas he walked down Clonliffe in his civvies ... like me!

Did you meet him on the street?

"hello Jayo"
"oh hello Jayo"
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:31 pm

whiterbananas wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:

one slip and Jayo could always sniff out a goal ....... remember 1995. Alas he walked down Clonliffe in his civvies ... like me!

Did you meet him on the street?

"hello Jayo"
"oh hello Jayo"

I did - him and Mick Galvin! 'Jaysus, Jayo' said Galvin 'You should be still out there playing.' 'Ah' sez I, 'Time to give youth a chance.' The other Jayo just went Rolling Eyes
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next