GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attack on Kevin Nugent

+7
Thomas Clarke
Boxtyeater
bocerty
Real Kerry Fan
3inarow08
GAA-Fan
Grenvile
11 posters

Go down

Attack on Kevin Nugent Empty Attack on Kevin Nugent

Post  Grenvile Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:20 pm

"Kevin Nugent, a member of last year's Armagh minor All-Ireland team, is in hospital recovering from injuries caused by a vicious assault in a club game at the weekend.

The 19-year-old Maghery defender underwent extensive surgery yesterday after being attacked and knocked unconscious in a club game against Cullaville on Sunday, which resulted in the player suffering horrific facial injuries which are to prevent him from eating solid foods for four months.

The attack, which occurred in the final moments of the game, caused Nugent to suffer a broken chin, broken jaw, split lower gum, and have all his lower teeth displaced and part of his lower jaw dislodged.

Armagh's disciplinary authority, the CCC, is in the process of launching an investigation into the incident and will seek to establish the facts surrounding the incident to quickly identify who was responsible"

Jesus this sounds terrible the poor lad, hopefully he'll make a speedy recovery. And his attacker should be facing a term behind bars. Can any Armagh lads shed any more light on the incident?

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Attack on Kevin Nugent Empty Re: Attack on Kevin Nugent

Post  GAA-Fan Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Not too sure what has happened. Sam might be able to shed some more light on it. All I know is that Kevin plays for Maghery Sean McDermott's and the culprit plays for culloville. Apparently the CHB for Culloville made a bad challenge with the boot on Aiden Forker and the a scuffle broke out with Kevin being taken to hospital in an ambulance. Culloville have been upto no good all season by all accounts.

Best of luck to Kevin in his recovery.

Last edited by GAA-Fan on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:09 pm

Best of luck in his recovery also. The injuries sound desperate.
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry
Number of posts : 793

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:14 pm

Good luck to the lad and his family.Terrible thing to happen, especially a young lad.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:23 pm

the lads injuries are horrendous to put it mildly - no solids for 4 months and part of his jaw dislodged - took some force to inflict those injuries. I hope the guy(s) who carried this out are proud of themselves - will the be as brave to come forward and take responsibility for their actions.

There is a court case going on up here in Tyrone at the minute with something similar - two guys are facing charges of GBH for serious facial injuries sustained by a lad during a league game a few years back.

If it happened out on the street you'd do time for an assault like this
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:30 pm

This is not good news on any front. The Co.Board would want to step up to the plate here sharpish. Swift and serious suspensions must be handed down immediately pending a full investigation...This mallarkey is getting all too common nationwide and must be stopped in it's tracks. What would children think looking at an incident like that Attack on Kevin Nugent Affraid ..

I hope that Kevin makes a good recovery, but in the name of God, what's gotten into people...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:38 pm

It was a one punch incident from what I have been told. Hopefully the county board and police take action over this incident.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:40 pm

Yeah, I'd also be in favour of criminal charges. That has no place anywhere, yet some people think that they can get away with it on a football field. Disgraceful, and far too common.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:12 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:It was a one punch incident from what I have been told. Hopefully the county board and police take action over this incident.

GF i'm no doctor but from the injuries he sustained i would seriously doubt that it was one punch that done the damage unless it was a heavyweight boxer -
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:34 pm

bocerty wrote:
GAA-Fan wrote:It was a one punch incident from what I have been told. Hopefully the county board and police take action over this incident.

GF i'm no doctor but from the injuries he sustained i would seriously doubt that it was one punch that done the damage unless it was a heavyweight boxer -

He isn't a big fella. All it takes is one punch and for him to hit his face off the ground.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:39 pm

One punch or not one punch makes no difference. The lad suffered extensive injuries - saw a piece on the news tonight - thoughts with him. This isn't on regardless. Needs to be stamped out.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:38 am

One punch maybe, but how many kicks after he hit the ground?
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:09 am

black&white wrote:

One punch maybe, but how many kicks after he hit the ground?

I would say and would hope that the other 30+ people on the pitch would have the common decency to step in the way of it as soon at Nugent hit the floor. It was in the middle of a scuffle and heard on the news that he wasnt kicked on the ground.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:55 am

There was a two case in Wexford, one in 04 I think - it was the senior football county final, player had his jaw broken wasn't spotted on the day but was settled in both court and GAA CCCC afterwards.
Second one involved Red Barry a player broke his jaw (no solids for months)at least this one was spotted (I mean he assaulted him which resulted in those injuries)
Worrying fact it was a senior football 1/4 final, the player got 6 months but only missed 1 game
due to the fact championship would not be starting again until April the following year anfd this happened in August, Leagues in Wex usually start in March.
If a league match fell inside the timeframe yes he would miss it but none did.
Only playing sanction was he missed the first round of the group stages the following April and was available for selection after that.

question arises are "time bans" as effective as they used to be.
It is not knock out champion ship anymore (club and county) everyone has a back door system,so you can "afford" to miss some players.
There are more games and competitions than every before and been sent off in one DOES NOT mean you are banned for others.
EG I striuke JC in the head in a hurling match, Ref gives me a straight red but only buts me down for MINIMAL Force I get 4 weeks, I am not allowed hurl for 4 weeks but I can kick football away, following week playing JC's in football team he gets "revenge" but is put down for MAXIMUM force by the ref he gets a min of 8 weeks and is banned from everything.
Club suspensions do not carry likewise if under 8 weeks onto county and likewise county offense do not effect club status, point been lad who got the straight red for duds could possibly play Shane Roche or Adrain Morrissey this weekend (both play club football in Dublin).
Years ago if banned you could not step onto GAA property now I don't think it is anywhere as strict.
Anyway best of luck to the lad and a a successful recovery.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:09 am

Absolutely disgraceful incident, and becoming far too common now. Whatever thug did this should have the book thrown at him, no place in the game for this crap.

And hearing about the injuries I very much doubt it was a single punch, no way that or even hitting his head off the ground afterwards would cause that much damage.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down