GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Katie Taylor - stick on gold?

+12
whiterbananas
OMAR
Loyal2TheRoyal
JimWexford
mullins
patrique
Larry Murphy
bocerty
KerryKatriona
mossbags
bald eagle
Jayo Cluxton
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Katie Taylor - stick on gold? Empty Katie Taylor - stick on gold?

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:59 am

Well great news that the girls are now allowed box in the Olympics! I have met a few in my time that could have high medal hopes! All we have to do now is get the lads allowed in the pool for the synchronised swimming which is the only 'sport' not open to both sexes!

Anyway - what of Katie Taylor? What a girl! See bio below - 60 wins out of 61 fights! Numerous Boxer of the Tournament awards and World and European titles - and an Irish soccer international!

Surely she will become the first Irish woman to deliver Olympic gold?

Katie Taylor (born 27 October 1986 in Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland) is an Irish boxer and footballer.

She started boxing (coached by her father Peter, himself a successful amateur boxer) in 1998, aged 12. Her first noteworthy success was at the 2005 European Amateur Championships, in Tønsberg, Norway. She won the gold medal, defeating Eva Wahlström of Finland in the final of the 60 kg lightweight class. Later that year, at the World Amateur Championships in Podolsk, Russia, Taylor advanced to the quarter-finals in the 60 kg weight class.

At the 2006 European Amateur Championships in Warsaw, Poland, Taylor won her second successive gold medal by stopping reigning world champion Tatiana Chalaya of Russia, also collecting the tournament's Best Boxer award. At that year's World Amateur Championships, contested in New Delhi, India, Taylor became Ireland's first World Champion, defeating Chalaya again in the semi-final and then Annabella Farias of Argentina in the 60 kg final.

In 2007 she won her third successive European Championship title in Denmark [1].

In August 2008, she claimed her second consecutive Witch Cup gold medal in Hungary, following an inside-the-distance win in the 60 kg final against Wahlström.

Katie would go on to claim her second World title at the 2008 AIBA Women's World Boxing Championship, contested in November at Ningbo, China. In the 60 kg weight class, she defeated China's Cheng Dong in the final match which was her 100th bout. [2].

On March 21, 2009 at the O2 in Dublin, Ireland, Katie won a 27-3 win over thee time Pan American champion Caroline Barry of the United States on the undercard of a pro WBA super bantamweight world title fight between Bernard Dunne of Ireland and Ricardo Cordoba of Panama. Speaking after the fight, Taylor, who had stopped Barry in the final of the 2006 World Championships in New Delhi, said she was stunned by the welcome she received from Irish boxing fans. She said: "I couldn't believe the reception I got - it was an amazing experience for me. I knew it was going to be a tough fight and well done to her for never backing off."

Won gold at the Russian Multi-Nations event at the Sports Palace in St Petersburg in July 2009 chalking up her 39th consecutive victory – and her 60th win in her last 61 bouts. [3]

As well as boxing, Taylor plays with the Ireland Women's Senior football team. She scored in the opening UEFA 2009 qualifying round win over Hungary on the 1st of April 2007. She scored again and got sent off in a 4-1 loss in Italy on the 16th of February 2008. [4] Previously, she had played with the national teams at the U-17 and U-19 levels.

As for her preferred sport: "I love playing for Ireland, and I love soccer, but when it comes down to it I would choose boxing as my number one sport as I'd miss it too much if I wasn't involved."

Katie can now be found on the web on her official website www.katie-taylor.net and her many fans can keep track of her upcoming boxing bouts.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Katie Taylor - stick on gold? Empty Re: Katie Taylor - stick on gold?

Post  Guest Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:04 pm

Disgracefull, the olympics are a joke.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:09 pm

samin10 wrote:Disgracefull, the olympics are a joke.

As you are an avid Synchronised Swimmer Samin, I can understand your frustration with the Olympics. If you want to start a petition we will all get behind you ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:12 pm

More of a darts man myself. FFS Archery is in there, throwing arrows by hand at a smaller target is more of a talent in my opinion. scratch

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:14 pm

samin10 wrote:More of a darts man myself. FFS Archery is in there, throwing arrows by hand at a smaller target is more of a talent in my opinion. scratch

Are you against women's boxing being allowed in?
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:16 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Well great news that the girls are now allowed box in the Olympics!

What, girls can box in the olympics? Jez, they'll be letting them vote next!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:18 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
samin10 wrote:More of a darts man myself. FFS Archery is in there, throwing arrows by hand at a smaller target is more of a talent in my opinion. scratch

Are you against women's boxing being allowed in?

Yes, in a big way. Cant think of anything more disgusting that two women head guard on, gumshields in and fighting. FFS what is the world coming to? P.S I love boxing.

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:23 pm

Im all for it myself. Let hope Katie doesn't go getting herself too knocked up in the meantime.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:21 am

I think this is a big retrograde step for feminism. Two girls sweating and grunting in a ring is distasteful. There are many more womanly sports that could be included instead of boxing. I also think female weightlifting in distasteful. There is nothing more unedifying than a clean jerk or snatch.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:28 am

KerryKatriona wrote:I think this is a big retrograde step for feminism. Two girls sweating and grunting in a ring is distasteful. There are many more womanly sports that could be included instead of boxing. I also think female weightlifting in distasteful. There is nothing more unedifying than a clean jerk or snatch.
Katie Taylor - stick on gold? Icon_lol Katie Taylor - stick on gold? Icon_lol Katie Taylor - stick on gold? Icon_lol

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:29 am

KerryKatriona wrote:I think this is a big retrograde step for feminism. Two girls sweating and grunting in a ring is distasteful. There are many more womanly sports that could be included instead of boxing. I also think female weightlifting in distasteful. There is nothing more unedifying than a clean jerk or snatch.

hard to beat a good clean snatch if you ask me
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:01 pm

Sometimes its like one long American High School movie on here.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Katie into World semis having hammered the Russian gal 16-1! She is going for three World titles in a row. I love the name of the next opponent ...... Queen Underwood from the good old USA.

Surely Katie, an Irish soccer international also, is our greatest ever sportswoman.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Murphy Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:19 am

Our best hope of an Olympic Gold.

Larry Murphy
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

One that's the wrong side of the Shannon
Number of posts : 130

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:30 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Katie into World semis having hammered the Russian gal 16-1! She is going for three World titles in a row. I love the name of the next opponent ...... Queen Underwood from the good old USA.

Surely Katie, an Irish soccer international also, is our greatest ever sportswoman.

Maeve Kyle, OBE (born 6 October 1928, County Kilkenny), is an Irish Olympic athlete and hockey player. She competed in the 100m and 200m in the Melbourne Olympics and subsequently in the Rome Olympics and Tokyo Olympics (where she reached the semi-finals of both the 400m and 800m). She took bronze in the 400m at the 1966 European Indoor Athletics Championships in Dortmund.

In hockey, she gained 58 Irish caps as well as representing three of the four Irish provinces (Leinster, Munster and Ulster) at different stages of her career. She was named in the World All Star team in 1953 and 1959.[1]

She was also a strong competitor in tennis, swimming, sailing and cricket and now works as a coach to many athletes. She is chair of Coaching NI. In 2006 she was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of the University (DUniv) from the University of Ulster.[1]

Maeve Kyle was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2006 Coaching Awards in London in recognition of her work with athletes at the Ballymena and Antrim Athletics Club. Earlier in 2006 she was one of 10 players who were initially installed into Irish hockey's Hall of Fame.[2]

She was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2008 New Year Honours.

Still see her down at the forum coaching kids..........must be 82
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:15 pm

katies fighting now

http://www.rte.ie/sport/livestreaming/live-sport.html follow this link if you wish
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:21 pm

This is the best commentary I have ever heard,
"She's like a bull this American girl, I suppose I better remove the word bull........." ans so on
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:24 pm

Taylor could be in trouble here was
6-0
10-2
Now 13-8
Last round bell up
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:29 pm

Taylor hung on for dear life 18-16 pushed all the way, she got the fright of her life.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:38 pm

Over-rated.

As far as female sports people go, she's no Derval.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:42 pm

First time I have ever seen that girl pushed as much as she was.
Far from over rated loyal, that was possibly the worse two rounds I ever see her box and she still came out on top
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:50 pm

Fair play katie how you landed them last 2 punches i don't know- go and win it girl.. cheers As for the meath poster booo
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:37 am

Probably the best thing that could have happened to her in a semi - gold definitely hers now. The Queen got 4 points for KT 'holding' - Barbados is very near the US .. no such sympathy for the Chinese finalist methinks ... Go on Katie from Bray. Co Dublin ... Laughing
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:15 pm

Congrats Katie - 3rd goal on the bounce
18-5
Won every round with only teh first being anyway close nd nearly won by knockout with a left hook.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:19 pm

Round 4: Taylor is cautioned by the referee but she quickly lands a left hook and extends her lead to 14-3. Dong is trying to do some damage but Taylor is picking her off. The final 30 seconds sees Dong swinging frantically - she has to - but Taylor is too canny and it's the Irish woman who is continuing to score. A stinging left hook brings her to 18-4 and the final ends with Katie Taylor winning gold for Ireland on a scoreline of 18-5.

'Fighter of the tournament', insist the commentators. And so say all of us.

Round 3: Taylor leads 13-3. She has boxed very cleverly, avoiding Dong's long reach. A brilliant left hook from Taylor rocks Dong, and the Bray native goes into the final round with a ten-point advantage. Fantastic stuff from Taylor.

Round 2: Great round for Katie Taylor. She leads 10-2. Accurate hits bring her to 6-2, and although Dong is coming after her, Taylor is tactically astute and hits and moves expertly. 7-2. 8-2. Dong is trying to land hits but Taylor is too evasive. 10-2 it ends. But remember, Taylor lead her semi by the same scoreline before being pegged back...

Round 1: Taylor leads 4-2. Edgy start from both fighters with little aggression shown. Katie scores first but Dong responds and it's 2-2. Dong has a big height advantage but Taylor is not intimidated and she scores late on to lead by two

cheers cheers
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next