GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Allianz NFL 2014

+9
Loyal2TheRoyal
champers
bald eagle
bocerty
Boxtyeater
samin12
RMDrive
Gaa_lover
Thomas Clarke
13 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Allianz NFL 2014 - Page 2 Empty Re: Allianz NFL 2014

Post  Gaa_lover Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:03 am

For the past year and a half many pundits have been hyping up Mayos panel strength some have even compared it to Dublins  Shocked  i think today was another example of team with more strength in depth than them.  Kerry are on the same boat as Mayo once some key players return the results will improve.

Tyrone have embraced the new rules when some thought the opposite Mickey Harte will have plenty of selection headaches come championship time.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:48 am

Gaa_lover wrote: Tyrone have embraced the new rules when some thought the opposite Mickey Harte will have plenty of selection headaches come championship time.

I felt after the McKenna Cup that the new rules would benefit Tyrone, assuming that they are enforced all year. Tyrone are a young, fairly fast and very skilful side. We were also light in comparison to several of the other top sides. The less contact that there is in the game, the more it will suit Tyrone. However, I suspect that the physicality will gradually return to the game as the season wears on, and the championship will be basically as full-blooded as ever.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:58 am

bald eagle wrote:Kerry not off to the greatest of starts in the league, not that I'm complaining!

Kerry are in danger of being relegated.  Their trouble is a lack of strength in depth and, unlike last season when they won their last 3 games to ensure survival, I'm not sure that the cavalry will be quite as numerous when they arrive this year.  The Gooch may not play at all in the league, especially if Dr.Crokes make the AI final, while the likes of Galvin, Brosnan and Tomas O'Se are all retired.

Before the league started, Eamon Fitzmaurice said that he wanted 2 points on the board before the February break but, despite the team being in much better physical shape than this time last year, they haven't yet got off the mark.  Assuming that Westmeath go down, Kerry and Mayo, both of whom narrowly avoided the drop last year, are very much in the mix for that second relegation spot.

As for Derry, I didn't think that they would win in Kerry, but am not shocked that they did.  They played some very good football at times against Tyrone last week, and are very fit and fast.  They will find the league increasingly tough as other sides begin to catch up on fitness in March/April, but they still have the Ballinderry boys to come back which will help in that regard.  Very good start for the Oak Leafs.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:34 pm

bocerty wrote:
99.9% sure that Mattie is right footed TC - though it was hard to tell today and thats a massive bonus to us.

I'm sure you are right, Boc. If you'd asked me before the game, Id've said he was right footed too, but the ease with which he was scoring off his left (from the left hand side of the field too) made me doubt it. That is seriously impressive shooting. McCurry and Ronan O'Neill are also very accurate off both sides. Makes them very hard to stop when the ball is going in.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:31 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote:
99.9% sure that Mattie is right footed TC - though it was hard to tell today and thats a massive bonus to us.

I'm sure you are right, Boc.  If you'd asked me before the game, Id've said he was right footed too, but the ease with which he was scoring off his left (from the left hand side of the field too) made me doubt it.  That is seriously impressive shooting.  McCurry and Ronan O'Neill are also very accurate off both sides.  Makes them very hard to stop when the ball is going in.  

really exciting times for tyrone fans a right and left footed player massive bonus No 

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:48 pm

champers wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote:

I'm sure you are right, Boc.  If you'd asked me before the game, Id've said he was right footed too, but the ease with which he was scoring off his left (from the left hand side of the field too) made me doubt it.  That is seriously impressive shooting.  McCurry and Ronan O'Neill are also very accurate off both sides.  Makes them very hard to stop when the ball is going in.  

really exciting times for tyrone fans a right and left footed player massive bonus No 

How many feet does Eoin O'Gara have?

(Hint, the answer is <1)
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:22 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote: How many feet does Eoin O'Gara have?  

(Hint, the answer is <1)

Who's this then? Rolling Eyes
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:29 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote: How many feet does Eoin O'Gara have?  

(Hint, the answer is <1)

Who's this then? Rolling Eyes

Who? Me, Champers or O'Gara?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:20 pm

o'gara has celtic cross for his left and right foot and he is far from finished yet,you need a player like him to win the ball for the left and right footed players in the forward line.hudson gave a little cameo sunday  Very Happy 

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:32 pm

champers wrote:o'gara has celtic cross for  his left and right foot and he is far from finished yet,you need a player like him to win the ball for the left and right footed players in the forward line.hudson gave a little cameo sunday  Very Happy 

I'll ignore your justification of O'Gara as his inadequacies, and those of the 'Celtic Cross' defence, have been well documented [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Of greater interest, what is Hudson like?  How does he compare to Mannion, Kilkenny or Costello?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:25 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
champers wrote:o'gara has celtic cross for  his left and right foot and he is far from finished yet,you need a player like him to win the ball for the left and right footed players in the forward line.hudson gave a little cameo sunday  Very Happy 

I'll ignore your justification of O'Gara as his inadequacies, and those of the 'Celtic Cross' defence, have been well documented [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Of greater interest, what is Hudson like?  How does he compare to Mannion, Kilkenny or Costello?

Just one example from U21 All Ireland final two years ago

JB Carthy; M Concarr, K O'Brien, S George; L Fletcher, J Kelly (0-1), J McCaffrey; E O Conghaile, C Reddin; D Byrne, G Sweeney, M Schutte; C Kilkenny (0-4), P Ryan (0-1), P Hudson (1-4).

Subs: P Maguire, G Seaver (0-1), H Dawson (0-1), P O'Higgins, P Mannion (1-0).

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:26 pm

Stéphane Guivarc'h, regarded as one of the worst strikers to ever play in Britain, holds a World Cup winners medal.  I also know a lad that holds a Derry SFC Championship winners medal despite having never played a Senior Championship match in his life (no lie),truly brilliant footballers in Derry like Anthony Tohill & Tony Scullion don't hold county medals.  

A persons medal count should never be used to back up how good they are!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:00 pm

Here's Ronan O'Neill for Jordanstown today, off his 'bad' foot.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:53 pm

bald eagle wrote:

Stéphane Guivarc'h, regarded as one of the worst strikers to ever play in Britain, holds a World Cup winners medal.  I also know a lad that holds a Derry SFC Championship winners medal despite having never played a Senior Championship match in his life (no lie),truly brilliant footballers in Derry like Anthony Tohill & Tony Scullion don't hold county medals.  

A persons medal count should never be used to back up how good they are!

agreed lazy argument medal count

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:

all different type of players hard to compare,but as a natural scorer i would have hudson a head of these lads good understudy to bernard very similar players,would expect him to be pushing for the starting 15 come championship

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:31 pm

champers wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

all different type of players hard to compare,but as a natural scorer i would have hudson a head of these lads good understudy to bernard very similar players,would expect him to be pushing for the starting 15 come championship

Which brings me to the next question - what will Dublin's first choice forward line look like this summer?

Flynn - Kilkenny - Connolly
Mannion - Brogan - Costello

That look about right, or will the likes of O'Gara, Andrews, Hudson, Alan Brogan, Rock, McManamon or any others get into the mix?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:34 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
champers wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

Which brings me to the next question - what will Dublin's first choice forward line look like this summer?

Flynn - Kilkenny - Connolly
Mannion - Brogan - Costello

That look about right, or will the likes of O'Gara, Andrews, Hudson, Alan Brogan, Rock, McManamon or any others get into the mix?

If alan brogan gets back to his best i think he will go to 11 with kilkenny and costello in the corners.and a lot of options of the bench,can't see dublin going gun ho this year though

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:12 pm

I'm still unconvinced about Kilkenny. Something about his kicking style looks off kilter. If they can get Alan Brogan fit I'd see him at 11. The 14 shirt is the main conundrum for Gavin. Connolly may fit the bill but is of more use further out. He'd be an interesting 11 but his temprement is suspect for the "milling around" stuff.

I'd be going for:

Flynn, Brogan, Connolly.
Mannion, Rock, Brogan.

They have plenty of time and resources to get it right all the same.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:I'm still unconvinced about Kilkenny. Something about his kicking style looks off kilter.

I'm actually in this camp as well. I've seen him do good things, but also look a bit ponderous and kick erratically. I wonder will he find this year a bit tougher than last.

As for Alan Brogan, from what I saw against Kerry, he has a very long way to go to get back to where he was. Given his age and injury history, I'd be surprised is he is starting this summer.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:39 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
As for Alan Brogan, from what I saw against Kerry, he has a very long way to go to get back to where he was.  Given his age and injury history, I'd be surprised is he is starting this summer.

It was painful to watch in fairness. He has a lot to do and personally I'd rather see him make his own mind up on it rather than be exposed. I'd have a lot of time for him, always good on the ball, clever in possession and brave as a lion when most needed.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:53 pm

Most Dublin fans would agree with the above points about Kilkenny,but this lad is that good that he was able to offer gavin a good option at 11 last year,wait till he goes to the corner that when you will see him motor,as for alan unless he breaks down i think he will be at 11 this year come championship hard to judge a player on 1 game gavin will give him every chance

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:45 pm

champers wrote:as for alan  unless he breaks down i think he will be at 11 this year come championship hard to judge a player on 1 game gavin will give him every chance

True on the not judging a player on one game, but Alan is what, 32/33? So much of his game was always based around speed, and that must be dulling a bit due to age and injuries. If Alan is at No.11 for Dublin this year, the Dubs should be a bit concerned.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:02 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
champers wrote:as for alan  unless he breaks down i think he will be at 11 this year come championship hard to judge a player on 1 game gavin will give him every chance

True on the not judging a player on one game, but Alan is what, 32/33?  So much of his game was always based around speed, and that must be dulling a bit due to age and injuries.  If Alan is at No.11 for Dublin this year, the Dubs should be a bit concerned.

He captained Dublin v Tyrone in 03 at U21 32/33 is adding years on.

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:10 pm

champers wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

True on the not judging a player on one game, but Alan is what, 32/33?  So much of his game was always based around speed, and that must be dulling a bit due to age and injuries.  If Alan is at No.11 for Dublin this year, the Dubs should be a bit concerned.

2003 - 2014 is 11 years, guessing that he was 21 in 2003 as i dont think he played u21 football in 2004 that would leave him 32.

hardly adding years on Champers is it -  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid 
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:11 pm

champers wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

This summer he will be at least 32.  The CHBs he will face are the likes of Peter Harte, Karl Lacey, Fionn Fitzgerald and James Loughrey.  If he has lost his pace, he'll struggle.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next