GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Allianz NFL 2014

+9
Loyal2TheRoyal
champers
bald eagle
bocerty
Boxtyeater
samin12
RMDrive
Gaa_lover
Thomas Clarke
13 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Allianz NFL 2014 - Page 5 Empty Re: Allianz NFL 2014

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:42 pm

Yeah, Mickey likes Emmet McKenna, and I like him too, but not for 2014.  I can only imagine that Mickey wants McGinley to mark Connolly, as he did a good job on Graham Reilly, Paul Finlay and Kevin McLoughlin last summer.  With him in defence, we have few other options at half forward (McKenna would be the quickest option, and can track McCaffrey).

The corner backs selected are just not good enough.  I'm not saying that Quinn, Carlin or Tierney are the standard either, but McKenna in particular was desperately poor against Cork.  On countless occasions he gambled on making an interception or getting a hand in, and every time he was left on his ass with his man racing towards goal.  McCrory did likewise for the O'Neill goal.  They are there because they are the fastest corners we have, but they just aren't good enough.  I'd go PJ Quinn over either of them, as at least he can defend.

Our FF line will score if they get the ball, but so will everyone's.  The way the game has gone now it is a case of winning at least 50% in midfield, and seeing whose FF line can shoot better, ideally throwing in a few goals.  Having good fullbacks is of limited use as the rules have rendered them impotent.

Overall, we have gone for pace, as you can't hope to beat the Dubs without it.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:24 pm

Derry (NFL v Mayo) - Eoin McNicholl; Oisin Duffy, Conor McAtamney, Karl McKaigue; Charlie Kielt, Mark Craig, Aidan McAlynn; Emmett McGuckin, Niall Holly; Aaron Devlin, Danny Heavron, Carlus McWilliams; James Kearney, Declan Mullan, Ciaran McGoldrick.

Derry make 14 changes from team that beat Kildare,won't make for happy reading in the kingdom

Are Derry right or wrong to field a weakened team,they might be sorry if the meet mayo again

Maybe you should put Mayo out when you get the chance

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:28 pm

champers wrote:Derry (NFL v Mayo) - Eoin McNicholl; Oisin Duffy, Conor McAtamney, Karl McKaigue; Charlie Kielt, Mark Craig, Aidan McAlynn; Emmett McGuckin, Niall Holly; Aaron Devlin, Danny Heavron, Carlus McWilliams; James Kearney, Declan Mullan, Ciaran McGoldrick.

Derry make 14 changes from team that beat Kildare,won't make for happy reading in the kingdom

Are Derry right or wrong to field a weakened team,they might be sorry if the meet mayo again

This is the moment that Derry's season grinds to a halt.  I've seen momentum killing nonsense like this before.  They've rightly been praised up until now, but Beagle's boys could find it very tough to pick it up again from here on in, especially with either Tyrone or Dublin their likely semi-final opponents, followed by Donegal in the championship.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:35 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
champers wrote:Derry (NFL v Mayo) - Eoin McNicholl; Oisin Duffy, Conor McAtamney, Karl McKaigue; Charlie Kielt, Mark Craig, Aidan McAlynn; Emmett McGuckin, Niall Holly; Aaron Devlin, Danny Heavron, Carlus McWilliams; James Kearney, Declan Mullan, Ciaran McGoldrick.

This is the moment that Derry's season grinds to a halt.  I've seen momentum killing nonsense like this before.  They've rightly been praised up until now, but Beagle's boys could find it very tough to pick it up again from here on in, especially with either Tyrone or Dublin their likely semi-final opponents, followed by Donegal in the championship.

Agree when you build up a head of steam,you need to keep it going and see where it brings you.bad move by derry management

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:56 am

Derry making 14 changes is an prime example that semi finals for a group of eight has run its course. Cork reached the semi finals a few weeks ago and also made a number of changes since.

The top two in div 2 let say Monaghan,Donegal should face off against the top two in div 1 that way you wouldn't have teams resting players before the final round of games.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:58 pm

Dublin (NFL v Tyrone) - Sean Currie; Jonny Cooper, Rory O'Carroll, Darren Daly; James McCarthy, Cian O'Sullivan, Kevin Nolan; Michael Darragh Macauley, Tomas Brady; Paddy Andrews, Alan Brogan, Diarmuid Connolly; Kevin McManamon, Eoghan O'Gara, Bernard Brogan.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dublin showing signs of nervousness ahead of the weekend's biggest game, with Bernard Brogan making his seasonal debut. I've no faith in our 2 corner backs, but am interested to see how McNamee does against O'Gara. He has shown some positive signs in a couple of appearances this spring, and will face a man in the form of his life in O'Gara.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:47 am

Looks like Gavin wants to win this one.it will be a knock back if we don't win this match very strong team.no excuses I expect a dublin win and nothing less on the rd to the uk now see you there

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:55 am

champers wrote:Looks like Gavin wants to win this one.it will be a knock back if we don't win this match very strong team.no excuses I expect a dublin win and nothing less on the rd to the uk now see you there

If you are going up, you should stop off in Garvaghey on the way up (just off road to the right between Ballygawley and Omagh). Get a look round the future of the GAA.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:02 pm

champers wrote:Looks like Gavin wants to win this one.it will be a knock back if we don't win this match very strong team.no excuses I expect a dublin win and nothing less on the rd to the uk now see you there

with any luck the f**king boat will sink
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:40 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
If you are going up, you should stop off in Garvaghey on the way up (just off road to the right between Ballygawley and Omagh).  Get a look round the future of the GAA.

I'd say champers is up for it all right. He may not have the right Garvaghey though.

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:57 pm

Mixed emotions after a scrappy enough game at Omagh today.  Television may not have shown it, but there was a strong, blustery wind throughout, but largely favoured Tyrone in the 1st half and Dublin in the 2nd.

Dublin cut through us scarily easily in the first 15 minutes.  They had 2 goals scored within 80 seconds, and for a long time that seemed to have killed the game before it even got going (especially when the third went in after a quarter of an hour).  The goals all came from superb running from deep.  The power and pace of Dublin was so impressive, and we just couldn't handle it at all.  

As the Dubs slowed, Tyrone began to take control in the middle third and, to our credit, were the better side for the last 55 minutes.  We outscored them 1-13 to 0-7 from then on, and hit numerous shocking wides (7 in 18th-28th minute alone).  The Dubs rarely threatened after the break, but we couldn't get through for the goals that we needed, partly because Dublin were quick to foul before real danger arose.  The last 2 scores were superb, with Mattie Donnelly scoring a great equaliser, moments before Connolly scored an even better winner.  

Dublin will be delighted with how they started the game, and they'll also be very pleased that they again showed the character to get the crucial score at the death.  However, Gavin will not be happy at the possession that Tyrone enjoyed, nor the surrender of a 9 point lead.

Tyrone will be horrified at another poor start - when we are bad, we are awful.  We'll take heart from the fightback but, to be fair, perhaps the Dubs took their foot off the pedal after their dream start.  Our biggest weakness at present is scoring goals.  In our last 3 meaningful games (Kerry, Cork, Dublin) we've conceded 8 and scored 1 (a penalty).  You can't expect to win games with that sort of ratio.

Tyrone had very good performances from Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly in the halfback line, while the oft-maligned Colm Cavanagh did a mountain of work.  Mark Donnelly and Shay McGuigan played quite well up front, while Penrose was equally industrious when he came on.  The full-back line just about coped with what came their way after opening period.  Morgan was superb as usual.

Our shooting will infuriate Mickey just as much as the poor start.  McCurry, McAliskey, S.Cavanagh - all of them missed countless scorable chances.  Yes, the wind played a part, but some of them were inexcusable.

i was impressed by Dublin's speed.  They were too fast and direct for us.  While Tyrone were slow to work the ball forward, Dublin broke at real pace and in straight lines.  They moved vertically while we were too often going laterally.  Their fullback line coped comfortably with our inside forwards, while McCaffrey also caused a lot of trouble bombing forward.  Whelan played quite well too, while Connolly grew into the game.

Overall, I'm pleased enough not to have a semi final to prepare for, as we are in the preliminary round against Down 6 weeks from today.  By and large, we know our side at this point, for better or worse. I felt after the Kerry debacle that the ideal scenario for Tyrone was a good win against Westmeath, followed by 2 reasonable showings against Cork & Dublin.  That is pretty much how it worked out.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:36 pm

An odd kind of game, I'm unsure of what pointers I've gathered. Dublin scythed through Tyrone's "defence" from the off, runners weren't tracked and the blame may be placed, in-correctly, on the back line. Dublin are hard contained when travelling in direct lines irrespective of who they're playing.

The gale was a huge factor, you could hear it howling just before the start, but the wides tally mounted by Tyrone was shocking beyond belief. I'd fully agree with TC's point about lateral passing though, overdone and suspect to the quick steal against wily opponents.

Dublin faded in the middle third after about 30 minutes, whether it was a de-gassing situation or the strong emergence of Colm Cavanagh remains a mystery. Connolly played well when the occasion demanded, Alan Brogan retains the hunger for it, Cullen is past it, O'Gara remains enigmatic etc., They will have a big shout in it all the same come Summer.

Tyrone, while never giving up, I'd be more suspect of. Mattie Donnelly is needed at 6 & 11. The inside line lack real penetration and the snouts for goals, the full-back line lacks defensive capabilities IMO. It looks like Gormley will have to put in the hard yards over the next 6 weeks to anchor the defence yet again.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:44 pm

Some of the decisions given by that hoor Duffy left me scratching my head. We lose a man for nothing more than a flick of the hand on O'Gara and yet their keeper does the same thing for the penalty and he gets to stay on the field. 1 or 2 other Dubs can consider themselves lucky that Duffy is such an inconsistent ****.

Dublin have also mastered the art of fouling while avoiding the black card, how many times did they stop Tyrone from building from the back with a crafty foul.

That said we were all over the place for much of the game and the space we afforded Dublin at times was football suicide. The one thing that also bugs me and has for a while is the number of clean catches teams are getting against us from their own kick outs very often in acres of space!!!! Can we not go man for man in kick outs ????
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:00 am

bocerty wrote:Some of the decisions given by that hoor Duffy left me scratching my head. ???

Allianz NFL 2014 - Page 5 Hammer11
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:24 pm

interesting article in todays Irish News about Gavin and his perception that Dublin aren't a cynical team - more a team who are 'picked upon' and victimized by refs.

Stats are interesting - they committed 27 fouls to Tyrones 9 and had 8 yellow cards to Tyrones 3 and yet none of their players saw black.

bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:23 pm

bocerty wrote:interesting article in todays Irish News about Gavin and his perception that Dublin aren't a cynical team - more a team who are 'picked upon' and victimized by refs.

Stats are interesting - they committed 27 fouls to Tyrones 9 and had 8 yellow cards to Tyrones 3 and yet none of their players saw black.

Didn't see that article, but saw him saying elsewhere that he 'would have a hard time believing that anyone could say his Dublin team were cynical yesterday, and that they always play the game in the right spirit'.

It's the big issue I have with Gavin. His teams largely play exciting football, but he tries to claim that they are whiter than white, when this is nonsense. To contrast him with Harte, Mickey defends plenty that his side do, but rarely denies it. Mickey simply says that everyone else is at it too. It's a shame that Gavin couldn't be more honest.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:41 pm

Winner of Cork v Dublin semi final should go on to win the league title. Derry should fare better with a first 15 against Mayo that semi final could go either way.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:44 pm

A good enough league from a Donegal perspective I suppose but there's still more questions than answers for now. Winning promotion was important and it will be good to be testing our mettle against some of the big boys next year. We managed to unearth a few new faces and a few more have staked a claim for championship consideration.

Positives:
- Odhran McNNialis started the league very brightly but faded a bit in latter games. He's certainly pushing for a place against Derry.
- Ryan McHugh - he's not a corner back despite playing there a few times this year but he's exactly what you'd expect from a son of Martin. Small, tough, pacey with a good footballing brain.
- Christy Toye has really impressed so far this year and while his fitness for a full 70 of championship football may be questionable, he's brought a real energy and drive to a half forward line that badly needed it.
- Paddy McBrearty's U21 form. Hopefully he can translate it into some strong performances for the seniors. He came off the bench yesterday and scored 2 fine points but it's time for Paddy to start delivering scores in Championship. He's too good to "only" be working hard out the field.
- Martin McElhinney - He's really worked hard so far this year with his performance against Galway in Salthill being the highlight. He's strong and direct and able to take a score and can play MF or HF.

Worries:
- Neil Gallagher - Big Neil has seen very limited game time and I don't know whether it's cause he is being carefully managed by Jim because of his injury risk, because he's not fit enough or because of some other reason. There is no question that without him we're a much less dangerous proposition.
- Paddy McGrath - No sign of Paddy yet and while the rumblings around his rehab are good, it's going to be tough for him to be 100% ready in time for Derry. With Paddy out we've been trying options in the corner (including Ryan McHugh) but realistically Karl Lacey is best option. So do we sacrifice our POTY CHB in order plug a gap in the corner?
- Adding to the McGrath/Lacey issue is the fact that Leo McLoone has struggled at CHB. Too many teams have just driven straight through our middle and Leo’s inability to tackle and poor positioning is a really worry. So right now I can’t see any easy solution. Ideally Paddy McGrath would be back to 100% in the corner, Lacey goes back to CHB and Leo becomes one of the options for the HF line.
- Of course most worrying is that we really don’t know where Donegal are at in the spectrum from Cork 2012 to Mayo 2013. Injuries seem to be clearing up well and you’d imagine the lads will be very eager to banish the memories of last year. However I wonder if the game has passed us by a bit. The pace that Tyrone, Dublin and Mayo have on display at the moment is very impressive. We’ve never been a pacey team and won’t be this summer. The pressure cooker intensity that allowed us to win in 2012 is unlikely to be sufficient to get us to the AISF’s this year. Will Jim and the lads be able to evolve things sufficiently?

Predicted starting team for Derry v Donegal
Durkan
E. McGee, N. McGee, Lacey
Thompson, McLoone, McGlynn
Gallagher, Kavanagh
McHugh, Toye, McElhinney
McBrearty, Murphy, McFadden
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:50 pm

That predicted starting team has 13 of the All-Ireland winning team and you'd hardly count Toye a newcomer. (Toye must be well in his thirties by now. He scored a goal against Meath in the last 12 in 2002 and had been around a while then).

McElhinney was on the borderline of the starting team two years ago.

The remarkable thing is McGuinness managed to get the bare resources together for an All-Ireland. Based on RMD's team above nobody has lost their place - one emigration, one injury.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:36 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:That predicted starting team has 13 of the All-Ireland winning team and you'd hardly count Toye a newcomer. (Toye must be well in his thirties by now. He scored a goal against Meath in the last 12 in 2002 and had been around a while then).

McElhinney was on the borderline of the starting team two years ago.

The remarkable thing is McGuinness managed to get the bare resources together for an All-Ireland. Based on RMD's team above nobody has lost their place - one emigration, one injury.

Apart from winning the All Ireland its the same with Horan and Mayo.

2011 team v Kerry All Ireland semi final

Robert Hennelly, Tom Cunniffe, Ger Cafferkey, Keith Higgins,, Donal Vaughan, Richie Feeney,Trevor Mortimer, Aidan O'Shea, Seamus O'Shea, Kevin McLoughlin, Alan Dillon, Andy Moran, Enda Varley, Alan Freeman, Cillian O'Connor.

In bold should all make their starting 15 in the championship this summer while Feeney,Varley will be subs. Its 2009 since they won or even reached the Connacht U-21 final you would have to wonder where this Mayo side will go once Horan steps down.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:28 pm

bocerty wrote:

with any luck the f**king boat will sink

you don't need a boat to get to the uk from dublin any way i got back safely thankfully

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:56 pm

Good man, Champers. Did you enjoy your trip see the biggest threat to Dublin's AI ambitions?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Good man, Champers. Did you enjoy your trip see the biggest threat to Dublin's AI ambitions?

Yes Tyrone showed enough to be classed as contenders,can't recall any of Jim's team's getting such a spanking in the 2nd half after all he prides his team on finishing strongly with the bench adding the finishing touches,this did not happen some might say they switched off i don't believe that it could be 'its so hard to retain Sam a little hunger is missing which is natural for some players who have being on the go since 2010.

The only bonus Gavin will take so far,IS there is no stand out team at the moment showing signs of being capable of winning Sam ,Dublin are in the pack with an = chance that is about it at the moment not favs though

Have to say had a great night in Tyrone the Dublin support was massive biggest i've seen in years for a league game,it shows the Dublin fans still see Tyrone as a huge rivals

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:44 am

champers wrote:
Have to say had a great night in Tyrone the Dublin support was massive biggest i've seen in years for a league game,it shows the Dublin fans still see Tyrone as a huge rivals
Great stuff. Yes, there was a very good Dublin turnout. They took over the bottom goals and turned it into a mini-hill. A lot of young Dubs in the stand too, lot of families, and it made for a very good atmosphere (attendance c.10,000).
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:08 pm

Heartening to see that Champers not only enjoyed himself, but also arrived back home un-scathed and with the points. Excellent news, augmented by his cogent observations of where Dublin stand.
His summation is about right, Dublin fractional favourites, but not a lot between the top 4/5 at this stage.

I wouldn't be putting the pension money on any of them at this point.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next