GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Allianz NFL 2014

+9
Loyal2TheRoyal
champers
bald eagle
bocerty
Boxtyeater
samin12
RMDrive
Gaa_lover
Thomas Clarke
13 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Allianz NFL 2014 - Page 6 Empty Re: Allianz NFL 2014

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:34 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
His summation is about right, Dublin fractional favourites, but not a lot between the top 4/5 at this stage.

Have we established who these 4/5 are? (As opposed to the usually mentioned 'Big 6 + Derry')
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:19 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Have we established who these 4/5 are? (As opposed to the usually mentioned 'Big 6 + Derry')

Dublin and Cork have the squads to appear as the main contenders. The eventual winner is between them.

Mayo lack cutting edge forwards and ultimatley self-belief. Tyrone are vulnerable at the back and lack goal scoring forwards (in todays game this is crucial). Kerry, sans Tomás, Galvin and Gooch are forced into transitional mode and are fair game to scoring forwards.

Of the rest, Donegal haven't found the requisite 3/4 to bring in from 2012, Derry are unlikely to bring their league form forward and would always appear combustible at some point.

Did I suggest 4/5....Hmmmmm.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:53 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

Dublin and Cork have the squads to appear as the main contenders. The eventual winner is between them.

And then there was 1...
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:35 pm

On the balance of todays efforts it looks like it. The level of the Cork choke today was epic, up there with Limerick's collapse against Offaly and Greg Norman's implosion to Faldo on this night's occasion all those years ago. I'm on Matt Kuchar at Augusta btw.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:55 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:On the balance of todays efforts it looks like it. The level of the Cork choke today was epic, up there with Limerick's collapse against Offaly and Greg Norman's implosion to Faldo on this night's occasion all those years ago. I'm on Matt Kuchar at Augusta btw.

Them Cork lads would all get jobs with Guinness as bottlers - absolute sham of a second half with a 16 point turnaround. Makes Tyrone's performance last week probably better than I had give them credit for.

Fair play to Derry it's a big ask to play a fair chunk of the game with 14 men but they never panicked stuck to the game plan and Lynch is having the season of his life with some great scores at the right time.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:32 am

It was a funny game (Dublin V Cork) Cork came out of the blocks Bolt-esque, Kerrigans pace and vision un-nerved the Dubs, Hurley was immense, Cluxton was having a mare and the Dubs were in a shambles. 8 down at half-time, I went to the garden with the small ones for a bit of activity and upon returning found Cork ahead by 10 and then.....Cork foaled...

Alan Brogan came into the game, the maligned O'Gara found his feet, Cork's response was zilch and once Brogan the Younger entered the fray it was all over.

There remain questions about them though. The full-back line are woefully poor defensively in terms of ball/space/runners. A forward line of Fallon/Joyce/Savage or Gooch/Darran/Declan would have 8 goals by half-time. It's going to be a summer of high-scoring forward lines.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:10 am

It would be remiss of me to ignore the Derry performance today. Many will laude Lynch and even Enda Lynn but the hero here was McGoldrick. Jesus, after 15, I said to YaYa (new name for her) this man is the
re-incarnation of Paul Galvin. He scrabbled after 5 loose balls out of 6 and came away to re-cycle easily.

Doherty, the victim of an harsh yellow, tempestously/foolishly challenged O'Shea and saw Red....
Mayo, typically, became bemused. They're very one-dimensional, funnelling stuff through O'Sé, ponderous at best and lacking penetration. In a word: Peaked.

In summation none of the last 4 league teams look invincible. The game is there for an inventive and brave
11 to get on it and use it to the fullest. Alan Brogan showed flashes of it today, wheras Lynch from Derry tried it himself. That's why the greats @ 11 are always treasured, McGuigan, Ogie, Ollie Freaney, Purcell,
Packy McGarty, Larry Tompkins.

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:49 am

the second yellow was a bit harsh too Boxty i thought,, it was a 50/50 ball and he was a fraction of a second late, hardly a yellow in my book.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:03 pm

bocerty wrote:the second yellow was a bit harsh too Boxty i thought,, it was a 50/50 ball and he was a fraction of a second late, hardly a yellow in my book.

Id've given yellow for the 2nd one. I saw it as a deliberately dirty hit by an experienced player, and the second one that they had put on O'Shea in the opening period.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:16 pm

I think that there is a danger in being too hard on Cork. Yes, they were wiped out by an incredible 2-13 to 0-2 in the last half hour, but Dublin were highly impressive in that period (i.e. they played at a level that none of their rivals would have lived with). Remember too that Cork destroyed out Kerry last week, and Kerry did the same to Tyrone, so it can happen easily enough when someone gets a run on you.

Cork were very good in the first half. They moved the ball quickly and Hurley was outstanding at FF. How some people rate Rory O'Carroll as the best FB in Ireland is totally beyond me. Colm O'Neill is a briliant goal scorer, but he isn't yet back to his best in general play. Donncha O'Connor and Goulding were very good at opening Dublin up in the early stages, and I felt that their substitutions early in the 2nd half saw Cork become too defensive and invite Dublin onto them.

At the end, Brian Cuthbert looked gutted, and it's true that now starts the championship with more questions than answers, but he has some good players and they are still one of the top 3-4 teams.

As for Dublin, well the last couple of games has started to punch holes in the 'unfathamable depth' theory. They needed to bring on O'Gara and Bernard to turn the game, and they still have no real options for midfield when MDMA is off colour (like in the 1st half).

Dublin's best 15 is still very close to their AI 15 from last year, with only a couple of exceptions. They can be vulnerable if MDMA is struggling, and Cluxton's poor form should also be a worry. Still, when they get on top of opponenets they are sensational, and they will have to be below their best for anyone to stop them this summer.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:43 pm

When I seen the line up for this Semi Final I felt this was one game Gavin didn’t want to win,O Mahony in midfield does nothing for Dublin he slows the game down and looks out of his depth ,when Cork got off to a flyer my thoughts were confirmed,but during the first half I felt if Dublin could just keep in touch with points this game might open up in the second half and the Dubs are always capable of scoring goals.

When Cork stretched there lead to 10 points after 39 points I thought jaysus just keep it respectable that’s all I could hope for after all we were playing a team who were saying all year we are going to knock you of your perch,they might still do so not writing them off yet
But once Donncha O’Connor was taking off and alan brogan started to drop deep the game changed on its head and cork had no answer ,once Dublin started breaking from the back they opened cork so easily and even when they didn’t score the Dubs were winning the resulting kick out because MDMA just started punching the ball not trying to catch it and Dublin won all the breaking ball it was a joy to watch

As for midfield MDMA is without doubt our best option,but both Connolly and Flynn both showed at times Sunday they can do a job there if required
Thought cork made a big mistake allowing cluxton to kick to a freeman all the time Dublin are the quickest in the game turning defence in to attack in seconds,

As for doing back to back all Irelands only time will tell,the last time it was done with the same manager was 24 years ago,it’s a mighty task for this team but they will give it a rattle and hopefully we will have some fun on the way
As for O’ Gara I would never start him but I would bring him on after 10 mins ;-)

Plenty options for Gavin YET with a lot of 21 players yet to come back to the senior squad

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:47 am

champers wrote: As for midfield MDMA is without doubt our best option,but  both Connolly and Flynn both showed at times Sunday they can do a job there if required.....Plenty options for Gavin YET with a lot of 21 players yet to come back to the senior squad

There's an element of robbing Peter to pay Paul there. As dropping back either of those would weaken your forward line. You've plenty of good attackers, but depth always has its limits, and there are no like-for-like replacements for Connolly/Flynn in the half-forwards.

Of course, if you have O'Sullivan and Bastick alongside MDMA you will be fine, but Brennan's injury woes may mean playing Cian at CHB, largely because Nolan isn't convincing there.

The Dubs have more options than anyone else and at full-strength I'd fully expect them to retain their title, but there are still a few very key players who, if they were missing, they could struggle without.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:18 pm

League finals on this weekend

Div 1

Dublin v Derry

Div 2

Donegal v Monaghan

Div 3

Cavan v Roscommon

Div 4

Tipp v Clare

Bookies reckon wins for Dublin,Donegal,Cavan,Tipp who is most likely to cause an upset?

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:16 pm

Gaa_lover wrote: Bookies reckon wins for Dublin,Donegal,Cavan,Tipp who is most likely to cause an upset?

Likelihood of an upset, in order:  Roscommon, Monaghan, Clare, Derry

The division 2&3 finals are close to 50/50 games, in my opinion.  Monaghan's injury doubts may count against them, but I think they'll take this game much more seriously than the group stage match.  

Cavan may find packing the defence tougher to do in Croke Pk than at Breffni, and the Rossies could trouble them if they get a start.

The division 1 final will be as competitive as Dublin allow it to be.

Last edited by Thomas Clarke on Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:00 pm

;jedi; 
Thomas Clarke wrote:
champers wrote: As for midfield MDMA is without doubt our best option,but  both Connolly and Flynn both showed at times Sunday they can do a job there if required.....Plenty options for Gavin YET with a lot of 21 players yet to come back to the senior squad

There's an element of robbing Peter to pay Paul there.  As dropping back either of those would weaken your forward line.  You've plenty of good attackers, but depth always has its limits, and there are no like-for-like replacements for Connolly/Flynn in the half-forwards.

Of course, if you have O'Sullivan and Bastick alongside MDMA you will be fine, but Brennan's injury woes may mean playing Cian at CHB, largely because Nolan isn't convincing there.  

The Dubs have more options than anyone else and at full-strength I'd fully expect them to retain their title, but there are still a few very key players who, if they were missing, they could struggle without.

Haven't heard much about Brennan being injured more rested,can't see Gavin changing an All Ireland midfield this year but Emmet O Conghaile will more than likely end up being an option as the year goes on.

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:03 pm

The division 1 final will be as competitive as Dublin allow it to be.

Team selection from start will tell all

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:38 pm

Cluxton
Mc Mahon
O'Carroll
Cooper
Mc Carthy
Deveraux
Nolan
MDMA
O'Sullivan
Flynn
Andrews
Dermo
Alan B
O'Gara
Berno

strong enough team

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:42 pm

champers wrote:Cluxton
Mc Mahon
O'Carroll
Cooper
Mc Carthy
Deveraux
Nolan
MDMA
O'Sullivan
Flynn
Andrews
Dermo
Alan B
O'Gara
Berno

strong enough team

I'd suggest that it is a full strength team, allowing for McCaffrey and Brennan being unavailable.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:51 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
champers wrote:Cluxton
Mc Mahon
O'Carroll
Cooper
Mc Carthy
Deveraux
Nolan
MDMA
O'Sullivan
Flynn
Andrews
Dermo
Alan B
O'Gara
Berno

strong enough team

I'd suggest that it is a full strength team, allowing for McCaffrey and Brennan being unavailable.

I don't think so still a few places up for grabs

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:54 pm

Don't believe a word of it Champers. That is Gavin's best team as of today. Mannion, Costello, Daly, McMenamin and a few others will get their chances but, as of right now, that is his best 15 (exc. Brennan & McCaffrey).
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:11 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Don't believe a word of it Champers.  That is Gavin's best team as of today.  Mannion, Costello, Daly, McMenamin and a few others will get their chances but, as of right now, that is his best 15 (exc. Brennan & McCaffrey).

Gavin has throwing out a lot of dummie starting 15 teams this year cant see why Sunday will be any different.

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:15 pm

champers wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:Don't believe a word of it Champers.  That is Gavin's best team as of today.  Mannion, Costello, Daly, McMenamin and a few others will get their chances but, as of right now, that is his best 15 (exc. Brennan & McCaffrey).

Gavin has throwing out a lot of dummie starting 15 teams this year cant see why Sunday will be any different.

Yes, and it is an annoying habit. But I've a feeling that this will be a statement game from Dublin. They've been poor at times in their last couple of games, and a few of the fringe players have not been up to it. People have talked about them being vulnerable. To me, this is Gavin picking his best side in the expectation of a big performance.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:23 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
champers wrote:

Yes, and it is an annoying habit.  But I've a feeling that this will be a statement game from Dublin.  They've been poor at times in their last couple of games, and a few of the fringe players have not been up to it.  People have talked about them being vulnerable.  To me, this is Gavin picking his best side in the expectation of a big performance.

Don't think Dublin will want to make any statements so early in the year,i'm sure they wan't to retain Sam but wiping the floor with Derry don't think so but i could be wrong,Dublin by 3

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:23 am

Surprising strong starting 15 for Dublin. Jim Gavin normally finishes games with his strongest 15 no side in Ireland has a bench like them and its a tactic he's been using since U-21 level. As they say if its not broke why fix it.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:31 pm

I would agree it's probably fairly close to Dublin's first fifteen. Having said that, a lot of forward lines will be looking at Dublin one to seven and say to themselves, we can do some damage here. Cluxton is definitely underperforming, McMahon is nothing more than a bully, O'Carroll is slow, Cooper is only in the team because the manager has some kind of love affair going on with him, McCarthy is a good attacker but defender not so sure, Devereux is inexperienced and Nolan is getting back from an illness. I don't see this Dublin side as formidable. Even in the forwards, they've lost Kilkenny from last year and Mannion's loss of form is a harsh reminder to all players what can happen if you take you're eye off the ball.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next