GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leitrim 2012...All matters, agricultural and otherwise on this thread..

+8
Loyal2TheRoyal
OMAR
RMDrive
Real Kerry Fan
Parouisa
The Puke
Grenvile
Boxtyeater
12 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Leitrim 2012...All matters, agricultural and otherwise on this thread.. - Page 2 Empty Re: Leitrim 2012...All matters, agricultural and otherwise on this thread..

Post  Parouisa Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:26 pm

BE - I might be able to get you a Leitrim legend for the next Q&A thread. I met him at the weekend. I thought he was dressed up as St Patrick but the lads told me he always looks like that - a cross between Foster & Allen on ToTP and Fr Niall Horan. It turns out he was a Leitrim legend in the early eighties - top scoring for them in 4 consecutive championship seasons .... a total of 6 points. He was a bit lamped so he couldn't remember his name but said he'd consider it. I'll let you know.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Leitrim 2012...All matters, agricultural and otherwise on this thread.. - Page 2 Empty Re: Leitrim 2012...All matters, agricultural and otherwise on this thread..

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:37 pm

Shouldn't you be doing penances of some kind seeing as it's Lent......

Ang sign of grass yet..... Wink
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:39 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Shouldn't you be doing penances of some kind seeing as it's Lent......

Ang sign of grass yet..... Wink

See thread over yonder there - good lad.

I am doing penance ... I'm going to watch Donegal on Saturday ....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:26 pm

From the Indo....

Gas reporting...The jobs minister John Bruton FFS.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:04 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:From the Indo....

Gas reporting...The jobs minister John Bruton FFS.....

The error aside I'm struggling to fully join the dots on this one.
The 250 jobs that are part of the Irish business that was for sale that has been bought I can get.
The other 400 continue to serve the UK business which Bank of America said they wish to exit and therefore at this point in time have not found a buyer for.

so if the 650 jobs are secure well then that means that Bank Of America have reversed their decision to exit the UK market and have committed to it for the longer term and have also commited that part of this will be serviced from Leitrm. (which to me seems to be missing from the article)

So hate to rain on anyones parade but I know a few people working there (on the UK side of the business) and would hate to think that the focus can be taken off their plight by a few political wordsmiths
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:43 pm

Reads to me that the 250 Apollo jobs are to service the Irish side of things. BOA have obviously off-loaded my affairs to Apollo
The 400 additional are geared to the UK side of BOA's business. Presumably no buyer found as yet for the UK loan book.

I had a call from them last week from a man calling himself Rajid (I think). His accent wasn't a Drumshanbo one at any rate.
He was a bit unhappy that I hadn't used the card in 6 or 8 months and wondered what was wrong. I asked him (once he had ascertained the contents of my breakfast) what my credit limit was and was there any money due.. He quoted the figure and no, there wasn't any money due, in credit in fact.
How about €10k interest free for 6 months says I. No, No, Mr.Boxty, that only applies to certain types of card users. Business users, travel, conferences etc....
I might need it for a percolation tank says I....He must have thought I was buying a Panzer tank to obliterate Mohill such was the vehemence of his refusal.
He thanked me for my time as I envisaged him whizzing an e-mail the Dept. of Defence describing me as a terrorist.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:50 am

I fancied a bit of a flutter on the nags on stephens day over cold turkey and warm whiskey.
Topped up my Betfair and PP accounts by modest amounts.
I had 3 phonecalls about unusual and potential fraudulent activity on my account.
I had to give him the Coca Cola formula to convince him activity was legitimate.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:17 am

Leitrim leading the way once again here......

Leitrim 2012...All matters, agricultural and otherwise on this thread.. - Page 2 Smiley86
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:54 am

Boxtyeater wrote:Leitrim leading the way once again here......

Leitrim 2012...All matters, agricultural and otherwise on this thread.. - Page 2 Smiley86

Where was this one located Boxty?

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:20 pm

Where are you staying now Box? Shocked
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:51 pm

Jonsmith wrote:

Where was this one located Boxty?

About 100yds. from the tube station, on the left hand side going to B'more. The developer would be well known to myself.... Sad

Some Dublin lad is trying to sell a nifty lil' property 50 yds away on the other side...Hopefully for some this will not impact too badly.

On the brighter side, our local councillor, is playing a blinder, emitting loud sighs and shaking his head every so often to the strains of "Where did it all go wrong".....

FAO RKF..I've hanging on in the house at the moment, having acquainted the Cllr. of my road repairing activity.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:07 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:19 am

Quality stuff!! Didn't think it could be great as it was only 3 minutes but that is class.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:15 am

Quality stuff all right, the funny thing being that a lot of it resonates to this day. I'm thinking of the long build up, the journey, the pints and craic in McGovern's Saturday evening, the atmosphere Sunday morning, the cheer as we took the field followed by the first three scores before the wheel came off.........

A great, great summer, one that will live forever. Seamus is right, there's more to football than winning......
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:28 pm

That was Quality!! very enjoyable little story, pity it only lasted 3 minutes, I could have listened to yer man for a good bit longer!!
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:38 pm

I thought it was a little tragic really. But happy to see the low expectation of the small farmer expectedly come to fruition. I was there that day surrounded by a number of his compatriots and was touched by their simple attitude and their voiciferous yahoo-ing. Just being there was a victory for those poor folk who must have felt very intimidated when seeing traffic lights, buses, electricity etc. Indeed when i was going into the ground I overheard one saying that he thought he was 'entering a space ship'.

If you are from Leitrim or Cavan or Clare or Meath or Antrim or Armagh or Carlow or the likes, sport can never be all about winning - or there would be no sport at all in those counties.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:51 pm

Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:49 am

Parouisa wrote:I thought it was a little tragic really. But happy to see the low expectation of the small farmer expectedly come to fruition. I was there that day surrounded by a number of his compatriots and was touched by their simple attitude and their voiciferous yahoo-ing. Just being there was a victory for those poor folk who must have felt very intimidated when seeing traffic lights, buses, electricity etc. Indeed when i was going into the ground I overheard one saying that he thought he was 'entering a space ship'.

If you are from Leitrim or Cavan or Clare or Meath or Antrim or Armagh or Carlow or the likes, sport can never be all about winning - or there would be no sport at all in those counties.

Ach! we're well used to ye're patronising comments/insults/innuendos....In the aftermath of the Civil War ye would'a starved only for us..

Ye might laugh but....Seamus is no flat tyre...

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:40 am

Boxtyeater wrote:Ach! we're well used to ye're patronising comments/insults/innuendos....In the aftermath of the Civil War ye would'a starved only for us..

Ye could send over some grub the way things are going now ........
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri May 04, 2012 9:20 pm

More nuggets of nostalgia from Seamus.....

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu May 24, 2012 9:15 pm

I was having a couple of boiled eggs this morning when the phone rang, alerting me to the fact that The Dauber was calling.....

Dauber: Boxty, how are you fixed for a funeral day? You had the REPS lad yesterday, looking good, I'd say you're sound...
Boxty..How did you know that Dan and who's dead that the funeral is on you??
Dauber..Saw the hoor's car on your street and knew for sure....Oh! the funeral, a business associate. Danny Og Dauber is driving.
Boxty. Suit job then Dan or smart casual...
Dauber. Suit would be great, t'will be all suits.

So Boxty piles into the last surviving relic of the Celtic Tiger (Dauber's Landcruiser) and we arrive at a place called Ennybeggs, near Longford/Granard for the funeral. The wealth on display triggers Boxty's antenna, 12LK mercs, 12WX BMW's, as Christy Moore once called it "Vans and cans, we're heading for Lisdoonvarna".....

As they filled in grave in traditional style, Dauber even shovelling, Boxty was somewhat mesmerised. Over a fine feed in The Longford Arms Hotel, Dan affirmed that the mourners were "salt of the earth people" that he'd had dealings with in the past.. Suspect
A topping day all round, we left before the rows broke out. Impossible to buy drink, that is until we got back to the village, where Dan lauded the nobility of the indigenous people...

I've known Dauber for 60 years, since early school days and yet he continues to baffle me...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Thu May 24, 2012 9:24 pm

12 Lk mercs

Narrows it down to

JP McManus
JP Mcdonagh

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu May 24, 2012 9:43 pm

I thought the phrase "the nobility of the indigenous people..." might have cleared it up better for you...

But it's fair to say that McManus's roots are below at the Mountain.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu May 31, 2012 12:02 am

Team to face London Sunday 03/06/2012 Venue: Ruislip...

1. Cathal McCrann, (Gortletteragh),
2. James Glancy, (St Mary's),
3. Ciaran Egan, (Gortletteragh),
4. Paddy Maguire (Capt), (Glencar Manorhamilton),

5. Colm Clarke, (Drumkeerin),
6. Fabian McMorrow, (Melvin Gaels),
7. Wayne McKeon, (Ballinamore Seán O'Heslin's),

8. Darren Sweeney, (Glencar Manorhamilton),
9. Daniel Lowe, (St Mary's),

10. Paddy McGowan, (St Patrick's Dromahair),
11. Emlyn Mulligan, (Melvin Gaels),
12. Paul Brennan, (Melvin Gaels),

13. Ray Cox, (Annaduff),
14. James Glancy, (Glencar Manorhamilton),
15. Adrian Croal, (Glencar Manorhamilton).

It's about the best we can muster I suppose. I'd have started young Shane Moran at 10 in preference to the physically smaller and carrying a fitness issue character Paddy McGowan.
We're a little lightweight in the middle third, if you exclude Sweeney and Lowe and it's at times like this that you would take back all you ever said about Barry Prior. He's not the only casualty from last year. Gone is John Mac, Dermot Reynolds X 2, Gary Reynolds, Barry McWeeney (all from the back section)...
Gone are Mossy and Conor Beirne, hardly aristocrats, but the men to have in a battle which Sunday will be.
The Manor Glancy infuriates, Cox I've written off 5 years ago, Mulligan may/may not spark, Brennan is honest but limited.
Croal can and will rise to it, as will McGowan if fully fit.....

Hard to see where the scores will come from, barring a few Wayne Mac surges, but we're tight enough at the back, in the circumstances, so I'll predict a squeak home by a brace...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:43 am

Boxtyeater wrote:Team to face London Sunday 03/06/2012 Venue: Ruislip...

1. Cathal McCrann, (Gortletteragh),
2. James Glancy, (St Mary's),
3. Ciaran Egan, (Gortletteragh),
4. Paddy Maguire (Capt), (Glencar Manorhamilton),

5. Colm Clarke, (Drumkeerin),
6. Fabian McMorrow, (Melvin Gaels),
7. Wayne McKeon, (Ballinamore Seán O'Heslin's),

8. Darren Sweeney, (Glencar Manorhamilton),
9. Daniel Lowe, (St Mary's),

10. Paddy McGowan, (St Patrick's Dromahair),
11. Emlyn Mulligan, (Melvin Gaels),
12. Paul Brennan, (Melvin Gaels),

13. Ray Cox, (Annaduff),
14. James Glancy, (Glencar Manorhamilton),
15. Adrian Croal, (Glencar Manorhamilton).

It's about the best we can muster I suppose. I'd have started young Shane Moran at 10 in preference to the physically smaller and carrying a fitness issue character Paddy McGowan.
We're a little lightweight in the middle third, if you exclude Sweeney and Lowe and it's at times like this that you would take back all you ever said about Barry Prior. He's not the only casualty from last year. Gone is John Mac, Dermot Reynolds X 2, Gary Reynolds, Barry McWeeney (all from the back section)...
Gone are Mossy and Conor Beirne, hardly aristocrats, but the men to have in a battle which Sunday will be.
The Manor Glancy infuriates, Cox I've written off 5 years ago, Mulligan may/may not spark, Brennan is honest but limited.
Croal can and will rise to it, as will McGowan if fully fit.....

Hard to see where the scores will come from, barring a few Wayne Mac surges, but we're tight enough at the back, in the circumstances, so I'll predict a squeak home by a brace...

The two Beirne's missing will be the biggest loss. Emlyn Mulligan in the past scored 10 points v Galway, Leitrim will need that type of form on Sunday.

It's going to be a close game maybe extra time like last year but i'd still fancy Leitrim to progress.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next