GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fermanagh Expecting Miracles From God

4 posters

Go down

Fermanagh Expecting Miracles From God Empty Fermanagh Expecting Miracles From God

Post  bocerty Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:54 pm

So God has got a new job!!!

No one more surprised than me to learn Peter Canavan has taken up the post of Manager of the Fermanagh footballers. His backroom team include former Fermanagh footballer Kieran Donnelly who worked with Canavan at Errigal Ciaran and former Tyrone captain Enda Kilpatrick.

Canavan has a given up a lot of lucrative side shows including working with BBC and TV3 to take on the role so there is a gamble here. That said they are rock bottom so the only way is up.

Still a massive risk but he obviously has his eyes on the Tyrone job. Slightly disappointed that he hasnt taken on u21 job in Tyrone and progressed possibly onto senior manager from there.

There must be a sheckles left in the Fermanagh coffers yet!!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Fermanagh Expecting Miracles From God Empty Re: Fermanagh Expecting Miracles From God

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:28 am

Isn't that God's speciality...miracles. You won't be half as chirpy when they annex the Anglo Celt trophy next July for the first time ever.

A miracle no doubt, but you must have faith.... santa
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Fermanagh Expecting Miracles From God Empty Re: Fermanagh Expecting Miracles From God

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:08 am

bocerty wrote:Still a massive risk but he obviously has his eyes on the Tyrone job.

I'd agree with the second half of that statement, but not the first. This is a risk free move for Canavan as, aside from Kilkenny, Fermanagh are currently rated the worst team in Ireland (including London). Are they that bad? Probably not really, as last year saw them ruined with unrest and player walkouts. Given who he is, Canavan will probably have a full panel to chose from, and if he can improve them from last in the country to, say, 20th or so, people will say that he has done a great job.

The Tyrone job isn't going to be available for a couple of years yet, which gives Canavan time to build his managerial CV. This is important, as his time with Errigal Ciaran wasn't as successful as he would have hoped, whereas the likes of the over-rated Raymond Munroe at least has a couple of all-ireland minor titles to advance his case. So, for Canavan, any success will be well received, and likely see him in the Tyrone job within a few years.

You could also be cynical and say that there could be a few pounds going his way and//or the further increased exposure wouldn't hurt his chances were he to run for Westminster over the next few years, something which has been mooted in the past.

This should be a win/win for Fermanagh and Canavan.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:03 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote:Still a massive risk but he obviously has his eyes on the Tyrone job.

I'd agree with the second half of that statement, but not the first. This is a risk free move for Canavan as, aside from Kilkenny, Fermanagh are currently rated the worst team in Ireland (including London). Are they that bad? Probably not really, as last year saw them ruined with unrest and player walkouts. Given who he is, Canavan will probably have a full panel to chose from, and if he can improve them from last in the country to, say, 20th or so, people will say that he has done a great job.

The Tyrone job isn't going to be available for a couple of years yet, which gives Canavan time to build his managerial CV. This is important, as his time with Errigal Ciaran wasn't as successful as he would have hoped, whereas the likes of the over-rated Raymond Munroe at least has a couple of all-ireland minor titles to advance his case. So, for Canavan, any success will be well received, and likely see him in the Tyrone job within a few years.

You could also be cynical and say that there could be a few pounds going his way and//or the further increased exposure wouldn't hurt his chances were he to run for Westminster over the next few years, something which has been mooted in the past.

This should be a win/win for Fermanagh and Canavan.

his time with Errigal certainly wasnt successful TC - fair enough he won two league titles but got nowhere near winning a championship. So there are some question marks there already about his pedigree.

That said i wish him all the best and hope it goes well for him.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:28 am

bocerty wrote: his time with Errigal certainly wasnt successful TC - fair enough he won two league titles but got nowhere near winning a championship. So there are some question marks there already about his pedigree.

Maybe a tad harsh their Boc, as he did win 2 leagues. Although they are still a big name, the reality is that Errigal have only made one Championship final in the last 8 years, and that was back in 2006, so perhaps expectations were based on names rather than form in recent times.

Personally, I think he will leave Fermanagh in a much better place than where he finds them. I hope he does, as I'd then hope he would be the right man to take over from Mickey Harte in the future.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:36 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote: his time with Errigal certainly wasnt successful TC - fair enough he won two league titles but got nowhere near winning a championship. So there are some question marks there already about his pedigree.

Maybe a tad harsh their Boc, as he did win 2 leagues. Although they are still a big name, the reality is that Errigal have only made one Championship final in the last 8 years, and that was back in 2006, so perhaps expectations were based on names rather than form in recent times.

Personally, I think he will leave Fermanagh in a much better place than where he finds them. I hope he does, as I'd then hope he would be the right man to take over from Mickey Harte in the future.

maybe harsh TC but i think the people of Errigal were expecting a championship win (or two) and the reality is the Errigal team now is no better than when he took over. I would have expected Paddy Tally to come in with him.

Time will tell if he has what it takes.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:15 pm

I'm probably repeating alot of what has been said already but this really is a no lose situation for the wee man, Fermanagh are presently stuck in Division 4, are on a par with Kilkenny and New York, He'll get all the stay away players back, the possibility of promotion, Division 4 silverware, could cause an upset against Down in this years championship as theyve lost Marty Clarke and young Mooney to Australian rules. His high profile in Fermanagh will do him no harm in becoming a Sinn Fein MLA for Fermanagh South Tyrone or quite possibly MP depending on where the party want Michelle Gildernew to remain. Basically as long as he keeps the defeats in the single figures, He'll be a success for the swampies in 2012 Very Happy .
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:29 pm

Leitrim will await his return to Pairc Seán as head of the Swampies with renewed relish, as memories of his antics on his last visit, in a qualifier, while parked temporarily, will resurface...Fermanagh Expecting Miracles From God Fighti16
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down