GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Star nominations announced

+8
hipster 2
Real Kerry Fan
Boxtyeater
Thomas Clarke
bocerty
Loyal2TheRoyal
bald eagle
Parouisa
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

All Star nominations announced - Page 2 Empty Re: All Star nominations announced

Post  Parouisa Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:17 pm

johnnos bulls wrote:I presume it's not your personal opinion but it would be a crime against football if connolly gets an All-Star. He kicked scores against tyrone that he'll never kick again. He also played okay in AIF by holding and using possession well. But was poor against wexford and didn't want to know about it against Donegal.

Would agree with this. See I don't wear blue tinted specs all the time.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

All Star nominations announced - Page 2 Empty Re: All Star nominations announced

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:21 pm

johnnos bulls wrote: I presume it's not your personal opinion but it would be a crime against football if connolly gets an All-Star. He kicked scores against tyrone that he'll never kick again. He also played okay in AIF by holding and using possession well. But was poor against wexford and didn't want to know about it against Donegal.

Agreed, although to say he was OK in the AIF is being kind. He didn't even score, and holding the occasional possession that he won and putting it to good use is not really good enough for a man playing in a 2 man inside forward line.

He had a great half against Tyrone, initially marked by an unfit player, and then by an attacking half back. He barely touched the ball after Conor Gormley went onto him, but the damage was already done in the first half. The points he kicked were beautiful, but it was just one half of football.

So, if All-Stars are awarded for one outstanding half, then he deserves one. If not, then he shouldn't even have been nominated.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Oh very kind.

However meas mór for wearing the leitrim top during the All-Ireland final.
johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim
Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:06 pm

With all respect to Diarmuid Connolly, it would be a farce if he was to receive an All Star. As TC rightly pointed out, he put in a great shift for 35 minutes against Tyrone. This is not what the All Stars are should be about. I would like to see more from him next season, he seems like a very determined player but seriously unrefined. Perhaps his day will come. But if he gets an All Star for 2011 I would probably lose my last shred of respect for these awards.
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down
Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:09 pm

bluearmy1 wrote:I would like to see more from him next season, he seems like a very determined player but seriously unrefined. Perhaps his day will come. But if he gets an All Star for 2011 I would probably lose my last shred of respect for these awards.

I don't think he will. I don't agree though re unrefined. Connolly is one of the most natural players you will see and has bundles of skill. His main problems are concentration and application. Its about getting his head right because the ability is there.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:26 pm

Parouisa wrote:
bluearmy1 wrote:I would like to see more from him next season, he seems like a very determined player but seriously unrefined. Perhaps his day will come. But if he gets an All Star for 2011 I would probably lose my last shred of respect for these awards.

I don't think he will. I don't agree though re unrefined. Connolly is one of the most natural players you will see and has bundles of skill. His main problems are concentration and application. Its about getting his head right because the ability is there.

I think Parouisa's analysis of Connolly is closer. Lots of ability and a fine kicker of the ball, but can go through games completely anonymously.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:35 pm

Diarmuid Connolly was the reason Dublin won the All-Ireland. Made the three points in the last six minutes. Probably my third favourite player in Ireland right now after Colm Cooper and Bernard Brogan.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Diarmuid Connolly was the reason Dublin won the All-Ireland. Made the three points in the last six minutes.

Fair enough, he had a great 41 minutes then.

I'm pretty sure that there are several reasons ahead of Diarmuid Connolly for Dublin's all-ireland win.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:17 pm

flynner kev nolan mdma cluxton alan berno should have being more
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:33 pm

Would have expected Rory O carroll in front of Foley or Mark o Se.
Was actually surprised at Cassidy - He deserves it but thought Donegal would get capped at "two"
so Though Emmet Bolton would have got that Berth

AI winners always get a midfield berth so it was always going to be Doyle or Sheehan - so seems the right call.

Not much to argue about in the forwards.

Overall Rory O carroll probably the most to grieve about and Mark O se the more fortunate
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:37 pm

All Stars just about right. Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:16 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:All Stars just about right. Very Happy

I agree RKF. For the second successive year, I have been very satisfied with the team the AllStar committee has picked. In total I agree with twelve of the selections, and the other three went to players who would have been my "next" choice. The three I disagree with are Marc O'Se (would have given it to Rory O'Carroll), Kevin Nolan (Emmett Bolton), and Andy Moran (Diarmuid Connolly). Well done to Alan Brogan too. Wonderful player.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:54 am

Stephen Cluxton (Dublin),
Full Backs: Michael Foley (Kildare), Neil McGee (Donegal), Rory O’Carroll (Dublin)
Half backs: Karl Lacey (Donegal), Kevin Cassidy (Donegal), Tomás Ó Sé (Kerry)
Midfielders: Darragh Macauley (Dublin), John Doyle (Kildare)
Half Forwards: Alan Brogan (Dublin), Darran O’Sullivan (Kerry), Paul Flynn (Dublin)
Full forwards: Bernard Brogan (Dublin), Colm Cooper (Kerry), Cillian O’Connor (Mayo).

Actual
Stephen Cluxton (Dublin);
Marc O'Sé (Kerry), Neill McGee (Donegal), Michael Foley (Kildare);
Kevin Cassidy (Donegal), Karl Lacey (Donegal), Kevin Nolan (Dublin);
Bryan Sheehan (Kerry), Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin);
Darran O'Sullivan (Kerry), Alan Brogan (Dublin), Paul Flynn (Dublin);
Colm Cooper (Kerry), Andy Moran (Mayo), Bernard Brogan (Dublin).

Well I got 5/6 forwards and have no truck with Andy Moran at all - a class player. Personally I would have given it to Cillian (YPotY) because I thought he was outstanding given his age etc.

In midfield, again I have no problem with Bryan Sheehan who had to re-invent himself this year and was excellent for that. I thought Johnny might have swayed it because I thought his fielding was memorable this summer.

Half backs with Nolan on board is acceptable too as he had a great season and was MotM in the Final - I acually sold him short for Tomás! Bolton was very unlucky here.

Goalie is a no-brainer so my biggest quibble is the FB line and Marc O'Sé. Maybe because there was no O'Sé last year (first time since 2003) they felt they had to give them one but O'Carroll was robbed tbh. Andy Moran is an All Star because he made a show of Marc and put him on his ar5e more than once. And Fitzsimons? Glad for Mick Foley though.

11/15 ain't bad though!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Podger Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:30 am

Taught if we got only one it would be Emmet but as said earlier delighted for Mick FOley. Kerry lucky to get so many really as they only bet Limerick twice, Cork playing for a half and tehn Mayo when Marc was destroyed so thats a strange one. Though Gooch is football's Sheflin, class class man. Agree with all 4 players of the year so the GPa must be getting something right.
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare
Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:50 pm

My quibble is along the lines of OMAR's thinking re; Bolton before Cassidy. I thought Bolton was excellent all year and deserving of recognition.
The selection of 3 Donegal defenders is over the top however. Marc O'Sé is probably a bit fortuitous to get an award but that's life...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:39 pm

Andy Moran wreaked havoc all year for Mayo and was more than deserving. He was instrumental against cork and gave shields a torrid time. Played well against Galway and carried Mayo on his back in ruislip.

I can think of 3 or 4 players not even nominated more influential than connolly this year.

johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim
Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:40 am

johnnos bulls wrote:I can think of 3 or 4 players not even nominated more influential than connolly this year.

But Connolly didn't get one so whats the problem? He got nominated for a masterclass v Tyrone. Some players seem to get nominated and even get All Stars on the back of one performance. McManamon's nomination was a bit of a joke when put against the All-Ireland captain's non-nomination. Cavanagh's too.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:00 am

Parouisa wrote:
johnnos bulls wrote:I can think of 3 or 4 players not even nominated more influential than connolly this year.

But Connolly didn't get one so whats the problem? He got nominated for a masterclass v Tyrone. Some players seem to get nominated and even get All Stars on the back of one performance. McManamon's nomination was a bit of a joke when put against the All-Ireland captain's non-nomination. Cavanagh's too.

Don't be so defensive....Connolly fully deserved his nomination, but that was it. I'm on record here (Dublin GG news or somewhere) regaling his exploits but if you look at the same thread, you will find Boxty again lauding McManamon during the course of the League. I'll agree his nomination was a bitéén dubious, given that Donie Shine didn't get one but there you go, continuing bias against the West of Ireland....Cullen was hardly worth his place on the Dublin team tbh, given the exclusion of Declan Lally...

Could you fill us in on the 1 performance guys who got All-Stars while you're there...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:28 am

[quote="Boxtyeater"
Could you fill us in on the 1 performance guys who got All-Stars while you're there...[/quote]

Well I'm not being defensive about Connolly at all - I am a big fan. The guy has all the ability in the world and had one great game and was crucial when it mattered in the Final so possibly dererved a nomination but not a gong. I hope the Celtic Cross in his back pocket gives him the confidence to fulfil his potential. McManamon was game changing twice but not worthy of a nomination IMO whereas Culllen was.

Depending on your thinking here - the genius thinks the League doesn't count - in which case Alan O'Connor should not have been nominated whereas Maher should have. Marc O'Sé's is a joke and Cassidy similarly seems to have got his award on the basis of one point. Sean Cavanagh's nomination was baffling too.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:24 pm

Christy Cooney has defended the All Star trips. He spoke of how important they are ... from San Francsico .... You can take the man out of Fás but ..... Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Parouisa on Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:46 pm

I can kind of see the point of the All Star trips, not the other jolly he was on in Australia though! I would like to see the All Stars play against the Inter-Provincial winners on the All Star Trip in future.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:00 pm

No problem with players, managers etc going on these trips - fully deserved. But blazers .... Evil or Very Mad
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:48 pm

Parouisa wrote:No problem with players, managers etc going on these trips - fully deserved. But blazers .... Evil or Very Mad

Who do you think organises and facilitates the trips? Overly hard on Christy here. As President of the organisation why shouldn't he be there?

I do like Bald Eagle's idea about the Inter-Provincial winners playing the all-stars.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:59 pm

In this era of austerity needless and undeserved travel should be avoided. I'd imagine the people who actually organised the trips are sitting in the balmy cold of HQ as we speak. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be .. etc ....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Parouisa wrote:In this era of austerity needless and undeserved travel should be avoided. I'd imagine the people who actually organised the trips are sitting in the balmy cold of HQ as we speak. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be .. etc ....

I still think you are being harsh. As President of the association, Cooney has every right to be there. And all such trips require admin/planning presence at the event. itself.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2