GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Star nominations announced

+8
hipster 2
Real Kerry Fan
Boxtyeater
Thomas Clarke
bocerty
Loyal2TheRoyal
bald eagle
Parouisa
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

All Star nominations announced Empty All Star nominations announced

Post  Parouisa Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:51 pm

Goalkeepers: Brendan Kealy (Kerry), Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Paul Durkan (Donegal).

Full Backs: Michael Foley (Kildare), Neil McGee (Donegal), Frank McGlynn (Donegal), Marc Ó Sé (Kerry), Rory O’Carroll (Dublin), Tom O’Sullivan (Kerry), Joe McMahon (Tyrone), Hugh McGrillen (Kildare), Cian O’Sullivan (Dublin).

Half backs: Karl Lacey (Donegal), Donal Vaughan (Mayo), Trevor Mortimer (Mayo), Kevin Nolan (Dublin), Kevin Cassidy (Donegal), Emmet Bolton (Kildare), Tomás Ó Sé (Kerry), Killian Young (Kerry), Ger Brennan (Dublin).

Midfielders: Bryan Sheehan (Kerry), Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin), Alan O’Connor (Cork), Seán Cavanagh (Tyrone), John Doyle (Kildare), Denis Bastick (Dublin).

Half Forwards: Ben Brosnan (Wexford), Alan Brogan (Dublin), Darran O’Sullivan (Kerry), Declan O’Sullivan (Kerry), Paul Flynn (Dublin), Alan Dillon (Mayo), Kevin McManamon (Dublin), Paddy Kelly (Cork), Eamonn Callaghan (Kildare).

Full forwards: Donnacha O’Connor (Cork), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Bernard Brogan (Dublin), Colm Cooper (Kerry), Andy Moran (Mayo), Colm McFadden (Donegal), Eoin Bradley (Derry), Diarmuid Connolly (Dublin), Cillian O’Connor (Mayo).

The final team of 15 players will be presented at the banquet event at Convention Centre Dublin on Friday October 21.

The Player of the Month award winners from May to September were also confirmed today.

May: Ben Brosnan (Wexford); June: Alan Brogan (Dublin); July: Karl Lacey (Donegal); August: Colm Cooper (Kerry); September: Darran O’Sullivan (Kerry).

Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

All Star nominations announced Empty Re: All Star nominations announced

Post  bald eagle Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:56 pm

Wow, Bradley nominated even though he only played 2 championship games for Derry!?!?!?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:03 pm

There are some very strange ones here. Kevin McManamon's inclusion on the back of two super-sub displays and some League appearances. Barry Cahill maybe a victim of his own versatility. No nomination for the All Ireland winning captain nor for Michael Fitzsimons whom some had mentioned as an All Star never mind a nominee. Donegal with two nominations in the FF line will I'm sure raise a few wry grins. I think Kevin McLaughlin of Mayo is an unlucky omission too.

For the record here's my two bob's worth.
Stephen Cluxton (Dublin),

Full Backs: Michael Foley (Kildare), Neil McGee (Donegal), Rory O’Carroll (Dublin)

Half backs: Karl Lacey (Donegal), Kevin Cassidy (Donegal), Tomás Ó Sé (Kerry)

Midfielders: Darragh Macauley (Dublin), John Doyle (Kildare)

Half Forwards: Alan Brogan (Dublin), Darran O’Sullivan (Kerry), Paul Flynn (Dublin)

Full forwards: Bernard Brogan (Dublin), Colm Cooper (Kerry), Cillian O’Connor (Mayo).

Last edited by Parouisa on Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:28 pm

My team:

Stephen Cluxton

Neil McGee - Rory O'Carroll - Michael Fitzsimons

Emmett Bolton - Karl Lacey - Kevin Cassidy

MD McAuley - Bryan Sheehan

Paul Flynn - Alan Brogan - Bryan Cullen

Colm Cooper (POTY) - Diarmuid Connolly - Bernard Brogan

Have to say I agree with Parouisa about Michael Fitzsimons and Bryan Cullen! Both should be pushing close to the final 15.

Though I am equally surprised that Parouisa thinks Tomas O'Se is worthy of an All-Star in the half-back line.

BE - I thought both Friel and Diver stood out for Derry big time, as did Charlie Kielt. Bradley had a very good game versus Armagh but missed the Ulster Final and is a surprising inclusion.

One final word. Kevin Reilly is not getting nominations or any kind of end of year recognition but without doubt he established himself as the best FB in the country with his displays in the number three jersey against Kildare twice and Galway once.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:33 pm

I think Tomás had a fine year yet again. I have only given Kerry 3 altogether and I think Tomás was certainly worthy of one.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:34 pm

Also reading this forum and others, I cannot believe the number of people including Johnny Doyle.

He's a very good footballer and I'm a big fan but he's no 2011 AllStar!

He was injured most of the year. Don't think he was particularly good against Laois, he was anonymous against Meath - in fact both Brian Meade and Mark Ward completely dominated him. Don't recall him standing out in the Derry match and the Donegal game, whilst he was heroic and courageous, his injury was always evident.

A very fine player but let's be fair, he was injured all year round, and he would be taking the place of some far more deserving receiptants if he gets the midfield award.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:46 pm

Parouisa wrote:I think Tomás had a fine year yet again. I have only given Kerry 3 altogether and I think Tomás was certainly worthy of one.

30 minutes in the Munster championship, the only memory of which is a red card.

I don't remember him being especially outstanding in the Limerick or Mayo games? Steady as he usually is, but contributed no more to those wins than any of his defensive colleagues.

He had a decent final, but again Kerry had far better performers on the day.

Hardly AllStar material.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Loyal, agree with you big time RE Friel, Diver and Kielt, i feel they were at the very least worthy of a nomination as they were consistant in all of our games! I'm getting the impression however that Mickey Friel is not getting the praise he deserves for a lad who made his Championship debut this season when compared to the performances he put in!

I'm glad for Bradley, but completely baffled by the inclusion of him to be honest!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:15 pm

I thought Tomas was excellent throughout as usual. Mind you a few years ago his red card would have ended his chances. John Doyle for me was very impressive and some of his fielding stands out when recalling the 2011 Championship. We'll agree to differ on these but I agree re Kevin Reilly who had a very good year. Also Cian Ward could have had a shout when you consider Bradley got nominated.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:05 pm

not quite sure what Sean Cavanagh got nominated for - it would appear his reputation precedes him.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:23 pm

bocerty wrote:not quite sure what Sean Cavanagh got nominated for - it would appear his reputation precedes him.

Indeed Boc. When I read that Tyrone got 2 nominations, I tried to think who they would be. I was sure that Joe McMahon was one, but struggled with the second. I should have guessed.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:46 pm

It's quite clear that the "select committee" that make these adjudications are comprised of Leitrim people, hence the exclusion of Roscommon's Donie Shine from the list of nominees. Shocked

A few selections made on memories of past glories, Bradley and Cavanagh spring to mind here. Barry or Lyng of Wexford were also worth a shout.

This process continues to baffle.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:14 am

Wondering are all the surprise nominees members of GPA. Anyway some others who look certain to claim a spot in the tteam better be wary as in the past GPA awards non members were largely excluded.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:29 am

Real Kerry Fan wrote:Wondering are all the surprise nominees members of GPA. Anyway some others who look certain to claim a spot in the tteam better be wary as in the past GPA awards non members were largely excluded.

The media will pick the team from here. There is no GPA involvement in the final selection. Have you any non-GPA members in mind that you feel were snubbed?
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:06 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote:not quite sure what Sean Cavanagh got nominated for - it would appear his reputation precedes him.

Indeed Boc. When I read that Tyrone got 2 nominations, I tried to think who they would be. I was sure that Joe McMahon was one, but struggled with the second. I should have guessed.

Conor Gormley and Philip Jordan were more deserving of a nomination though i wouldnt have expected either to make the final 15. As far as big Sean is concerned its a case of getting a name as an early riser!!!!!

Just goes to prove how big a joke the whole Allstar thing is. Kevin Cassidy wouldnt feature on my list either i'm afraid.............
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:40 pm

Parouisa wrote:
Real Kerry Fan wrote:Wondering are all the surprise nominees members of GPA. Anyway some others who look certain to claim a spot in the tteam better be wary as in the past GPA awards non members were largely excluded.

The media will pick the team from here. There is no GPA involvement in the final selection. Have you any non-GPA members in mind that you feel were snubbed?

I think the Gooch was snubbed as GPA player of year once and GPA all star team another year.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:44 pm

Or maybe it's because he works in a bank? Razz
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Colm Keyes did a piece in the Indo yesterday where he picked his team and then listed the remainder in each position in order of preference. He picked MDMA and then rated Bastick 6th out of 6 midfield nominations.

Bastick used to be a loose cannon but has had a very good season including a very important point in the Final. He was excellent in the semi too. While I am not saying he should have got an All Star to put an All Ireland winning midfielder 6th, after Cavanagh, O'Connor and Doyle is an insult. I presume he is not on the judging panel and rightly so.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Of the six midfielders nominated I would rate them in this order:

Bryan Sheehan
Michael Dara McAuley
Alan O'Connor
Denis Bastick
Sean Cavanagh
Johnny Doyle

I thought Anthony Maher had a very good final two games and would have rated him third best had he been nominated.

Both Cavanagh and Doyle were fortunate to be nominated in my opinion.

Michael Friel and Joe Diver could easily have been nominated too. In fact, if I was a Derry supporter, I'd be annoyed neither effort was recognised.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:53 pm

10 all stars on the way with 3 players of the year
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:59 pm

hipster 2 wrote:10 all stars on the way with 3 players of the year

I think Dublin will get 7 in the football: Stephen Cluxton, Rory O'Carroll, Michael Dara McAuley, Paul Flynn, Alan Brogan, Diarmuid Connolly and Bernard Brogan. I'd have rewarded Michael Fitzsimons and Bryan Cullen too but they weren't nominated. My Player of the Year was Colm Cooper.

In the hurling, I do not think Dublin should get any. No Dubs would make hurling AllStar team anyway.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:03 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:

I think Dublin will get 7 in the football: Stephen Cluxton, Rory O'Carroll, Michael Dara McAuley, Paul Flynn, Alan Brogan, Diarmuid Connolly and Bernard Brogan. I'd have rewarded Michael Fitzsimons and Bryan Cullen too but they weren't nominated. My Player of the Year was Colm Cooper.

In the hurling, I do not think Dublin should get any. No Dubs would make hurling AllStar team anyway.

wont be long now till we see how many all stars the hurlers get your making a show of yourself on here with the above comment.sad loyal but eh thats your belief
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  Podger Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:02 am

Hope we'll get 2 or 3. Johnny has a great shout and I think Bolton as well. WOuld love to see Mick Foley get one. Hed a great season.
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare
Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:08 am

Podger wrote:Hope we'll get 2 or 3. Johnny has a great shout and I think Bolton as well. WOuld love to see Mick Foley get one. Hed a great season.

Well I have to say I would be one of Johnny Doyle's biggest fans but it would be a crime against midfielders if he gets an AllStar. Seen him in Pairc Tailteann and a mediocre Meath midfield comfortably had his measure by the 15th minute. Same in the Donegal game where although Doyle was courageous in quite clearly playing against the pain, he gave up possession a lot and struggled for his usual influence.

Bolton was immense all year and certainly was one of the best half-backs I seen in 2011. I'd be disappointed if he didn't get one.

Foley and McGrillen were very good too but they are going for AllStars in a very competitive line. You'd have to assume Rory O'Carroll and Neil McGee will get two which leaves the two Kildare boys fighting it against Marc O'Se, Cian O'Sullivan and Frank McGlynn. Tough call.

Leper should not be far away in the half-forward line either.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:10 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:

I presume it's not your personal opinion but it would be a crime against football if connolly gets an All-Star. He kicked scores against tyrone that he'll never kick again. He also played okay in AIF by holding and using possession well. But was poor against wexford and didn't want to know about it against Donegal.

johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim
Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next