GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012 Olympics - Ticket farce

5 posters

Go down

2012 Olympics - Ticket farce Empty 2012 Olympics - Ticket farce

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:41 am

Curious to know if anyone on here applied for or obtained any tickets for the London Olympics next year?

For those of you who aren't aware of the farcical system for that was employed to allocate tickets, it went something like this:

1) People could apply for multiple tickets in up to 20 sessions last month;
2) A lottery would determine who received tickets in over-subscribed sessions;
3) Bank accounts have been debited over the last fortnight, despite no-one yet being told which events they had won tickets for;
4) Anyone who won tickets, but hadn't enough money in their accounts, were emailed and advised to either deposit funds or increase their credit limits;
5) Later this month, a month after having their accounts debited, people will final find out what they have and haven't received tickets for.

Aside from the ridiculous system, i'm particularly gutted at receiving virtually nothing in the lottery, especially as this will be the closest any of us will come to having the Olympics on our doorsteps. Despite applying for 20 sessions across various sports and at a potential outlay of almost £4,000, I've received a paltry 2 tickets (£30 each) to a yet-to-be-revealed event. To make matters worse, I've since found out that tickets were widely available online via other countries on a first-come-first-served basis, while I was waiting like an idiot for the UK lottery. Looks like cheating and skullduggery is every bit as evident in the UK Olympic Committee as it is in the 100m sprinters. Sad
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

2012 Olympics - Ticket farce Empty Re: 2012 Olympics - Ticket farce

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:49 am

IOC, FIFA, various boxing orgs ......... rotten to the core ... Get yourself a blazer and blag from there ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:56 am

I fear you are right Jayo. The GAA get a lot of stick, but they are a lot better at organising things properly (and fairly) than the majority of their 'professional' counterparts.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:10 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:I fear you are right Jayo. The GAA get a lot of stick, but they are a lot better at organising things properly (and fairly) than the majority of their 'professional' counterparts.

Indeed they are. And watch how many tickets the scalpers will have in London ... Evil or Very Mad
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Curious to know if anyone on here applied for or obtained any tickets for the London Olympics next year?

For those of you who aren't aware of the farcical system for that was employed to allocate tickets, it went something like this:

1) People could apply for multiple tickets in up to 20 sessions last month;
2) A lottery would determine who received tickets in over-subscribed sessions;
3) Bank accounts have been debited over the last fortnight, despite no-one yet being told which events they had won tickets for;
4) Anyone who won tickets, but hadn't enough money in their accounts, were emailed and advised to either deposit funds or increase their credit limits;
5) Later this month, a month after having their accounts debited, people will final find out what they have and haven't received tickets for.

Aside from the ridiculous system, i'm particularly gutted at receiving virtually nothing in the lottery, especially as this will be the closest any of us will come to having the Olympics on our doorsteps. Despite applying for 20 sessions across various sports and at a potential outlay of almost £4,000, I've received a paltry 2 tickets (£30 each) to a yet-to-be-revealed event. To make matters worse, I've since found out that tickets were widely available online via other countries on a first-come-first-served basis, while I was waiting like an idiot for the UK lottery. Looks like cheating and skullduggery is every bit as evident in the UK Olympic Committee as it is in the 100m sprinters. Sad

I applied For 20,000 worth and got none thank fook Rolling Eyes
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Don't want to sicken you TC but one of the girls in the office here applied for 8 events and got tickets for two. The ladies boxing final which she hopes will include Katie Taylor and also the Women's Tennis Final. Even Bradley Wiggins can't get tickets! affraid
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:37 pm

I ended up with a pair cheap seats for a session of boxing semi-finals. Out of 20 events applied for, and multiple tickets in all of them, that is what I ended up with. Bradley's mum can have them if she wants.

Anyway, closing date for the lottery for 2012 US Masters tickets is 30th June, so hoping for better luck there!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:I ended up with a pair cheap seats for a session of boxing semi-finals. Out of 20 events applied for, and multiple tickets in all of them, that is what I ended up with. Bradley's mum can have them if she wants.

Anyway, closing date for the lottery for 2012 US Masters tickets is 30th June, so hoping for better luck there!

I think she said there is another rouind this weekend - she is hoping for more tickets!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:54 pm

She's getting greedy! No, the round that started today is only for people who received absolutely nothing in the first ballot. I wasn't eligible, and neither will be your colleague. There is then a free-for-all at the end of July to pick up what (if anything) is left, but I think I'll give the archery heats and women's football a miss.

I don't know anyone who got any athletics or swimming tickets, although I believe there were any amount of soccer tickets available, if anyone wanted to see Nigeria U-23s play their Australian equivalents. Neutral
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:17 pm

You could almost pay on the gate for the soccer (they won't let you, of course. I don't see why not).

SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:04 pm

Not a sniff, scratch, hint,cough or splutter of a Ticket not even for the Marathon.
Aside from the tickets I was in London before Christmas for a night which clashed with something trivial like London fashion week or something and forked out close to £350 lids for B&B somehwhere near waterloo station so can't imagine it will be a cheap place to get in or out of

On a more postive note if Ireland do get to the 2014 world cup - Omar has a very reliable source who has 226 tickets per game (it should be noted that there are a 50,000 others with same source including a few Brazilian peers) but hope springs eternal.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down