GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leitrim- GG Team of 2011

+18
Podger
Parouisa
Royal_Girl2k9
scoopmine
mullins
mossbags
johnnos bulls
hipster 2
massey ferguson
The Puke
hurlingguru
black&white
Boxtyeater
RMDrive
Jayo Cluxton
gaamad1996
Loyal2TheRoyal
Grenvile
22 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Who should be GT Team of 2011

Leitrim- GG Team of 2011 - Page 6 Tag1012%Leitrim- GG Team of 2011 - Page 6 Tag10 12% 
[ 2 ]
Leitrim- GG Team of 2011 - Page 6 Tag1035%Leitrim- GG Team of 2011 - Page 6 Tag10 35% 
[ 6 ]
Leitrim- GG Team of 2011 - Page 6 Tag1012%Leitrim- GG Team of 2011 - Page 6 Tag10 12% 
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
Leitrim- GG Team of 2011 - Page 6 Tag1017%Leitrim- GG Team of 2011 - Page 6 Tag10 17% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 17

Leitrim- GG Team of 2011 - Page 6 Empty Re: Leitrim- GG Team of 2011

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:43 pm

johnnos bulls wrote: Bar about 3 games has been an unbelievably uncompetitive championship. Hard to see past manor in my opinion for championship.

Spot on JB... and stretching it at that...The Fenagh Cup will most likely wing it's way along the N280 but Carrick in a final are no slouches...
The disappointing thing about it is the fact that no talent of note has emerged and the county season has seen the decline of former stalwarts and the further decimation of former great clubs....

No offence to Manor, but the decline of Drumreilly and Allen Gaels is sad in the extreme. The failures of SOH, the Willies and Mohill (prestigious clubs with the bulk of the titles) to step up is alarming...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:31 pm

Showing up your south Leitrimness there Boxty. Indeed the main road linking North and South is in fact a regional road the R280. The tiger stopped in carrick as they say. Hopefully there will be a few celebratory turas' suas an r280 with The Rejuvenated gaels in intermediate final and junior A along with manor in senior.

There have been very few standout players in this years championship this year too. Personally I'd love to see the likes of Shane Foley and Michael foley back in the fold for county.
johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim
Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:08 am

Posting from the Boxty reridence...The Dgt. ans a few colleagus enjoying a fww cool ons..
Joe McGiverb is a mightt mamn...
There won'y be a cow m,olked within a mile a hwere if Kerry win.....De Dauber saya, Kerry for Sam. de Duds for Jam...

Is dat de tax-man at de door (In Bertie-speak).....Fookin' Dubs... affraid ....Ho'm Kerry...

Ho'n ta fook young Maedbh McGivern.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:12 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Posting from the Boxty reridence...The Dgt. ans a few colleagus enjoying a fww cool ons..
There won'y be a cow m,olked within a mile a hwere if Kerry win.....De Dauber saya, Kerry for Sam. de Duds for Jam...

Is dat de tax-man at de door (In Bertie-speak).....Fookin' Dubs... affraid ....Ho'm Kerry...

Drunkenness or early stages of Alzheimer's? The decision is yours .... My money is on drunken drunken drunken
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Leitrim <3
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath
Number of posts : 1144

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:44 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote:Posting from the Boxty reridence...The Dgt. ans a few colleagus enjoying a fww cool ons..

Drunkenness or early stages of Alzheimer's? The decision is yours .... My money is on drunken drunken drunken

I'm hoping drunkenness as well. Great to see that young McGivern girl get her transplant after the last cock up.

Looks like manor for the 4 in a row at the weekend.
johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Leitrim- GG Team of 2011 - Page 6 Images12

With a heavy heart I note the death of one of our finest and most colourful supporters, the late Oliver Regan R.I.P.
A veritable kaleidoscope of colour at matches, he was possessed of one of the loudest voices around and always encouraging.
His son Colin gave tremendous service to the county over the years and I'd like to extend my sympathies to the Regan family at this time.

Thanks for the use of the avatar Oliver....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:03 pm

Read this at Ollie's wake.

Penned on his facebook page. He was a legend round our parts.

I was born two hours before my mother even knew she was in labour - out like a bar of soap I was - and I had my first drop of the pure stuff from the bottle in the kitchen with my father and Willie (my big brother) that evening before we headed for Bundoran to wet my head and they called me Big Ollie.
By the age of three I was grabbing skirt, killed my first man in senior infants, and had a full beard before I left short trousers.
I left formal education at the age of 11 and joined the school of hard knocks of the Derryloughan Mafia, where Willie was the Don.
It was us that told De Valera to get the girls dancin' at the crossroads (there's 3 crossroads within a mile of our house) and by Jasus it was us that danced them from dusk 'til dawn, and dropped them home afterwards, four to a bicycle, to the four corners of Donegal, Sligo, Fermanagh and the outer boundaries of north Leitrim.
We ran a special protection racket around Bundoran - we'd hire out empty bags of fertiliser to courting couples down on the strand so they could lie on them and protect their bare arses from sand burns.
From the age of twelve I was up three hours before I went to bed, worked a 28 hour day and still managed to get out for a Black Bush and a game of cards eight days a week. I used to take the odd trip to Belfast by horse and cart where my name wasn't yet known until I was banned following the famous night in '62 when I met the Queen and asked her if she wanted a ride - on my gig!
The land was my office and I've saved every meadow from Cavangarden to the Garden of Eden, built silage pits in the Pits of Hell, and I've been in more bogs than than an Indian toilet cleaner.
The bog is a spiritual place where you can harvest the great bounty of turf bestowed on us fortune Leitrim folk instead of oil for which we should be thankful for the yanks would have invaded us now too were it the black stuff up in Dernawoggy. It's also a might spot for burying an old fridge or a member of the Green Party who got lost while out hill walking - one less of them means one more of us!
I turned my hand to the horses at the age of 18 and I've broken in every breed from Conemara to Arizona, where I learned to handle every kind of cowboy from a man they called The Duke. I called my first dog after him and I've had 486 since and I've loved every one of them except for that houre that ate the new seat I got for the Massey 135. By Jasus I gave him some toe up the hole.
I met Mae at a dance in local Orange Hall and told her I kill myself and any man that looked at her if she didn't marry me within the month.
She gave me 12 of the best - kids that is - and the only reason we stopped at the dirty dozen was because she finally got a lock on the bedroom door.
It was my dancing that won her over - I could dance the legs of female millipede - and when I finally got a radio in my first car I used to have to stop every time a good tune came on a go a jig on the side of the road.
I had the first bath in a house in our townland (we slept 3 of the kids in it), the first rotary mover, the first Guinness Book of Records attempt for the most consecutive years not taxing a motor vehicle, and the first lawsuit for sexual harassment.
I've been in the news for pulling a donkey and cart up the street of Bundoran, I've been arrested for impersonating Santa Claus, I've been asked to put my clothes back on more times than I care to remember, and I've already held my own wake - I wasn't going to miss that party and a hell of a night it was too.
We've 22 grandchildren and last year we had our first great grand daughter - little Mia - and despite being harder to live than The Hulk on a bad day Mae has stuck with me through thick and thin and I'm the luckiest man in the world to have her.
I'm 82 next month and I've just renewed my driver's license and got a new pick-up for me, Moses, Shaggy and Puka (the bogs). I got topped up with 14 units of blood last month and got the pace-maker fixed with a new TDi fuel injector (red diesel but say nothin') and I've gotten enough turf cut to make an environmentalist weep into his Camomile tea so I don't plan going anywhere for a while.
Not while there's a drop of the pure stuff left running through my veins anyway!
johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:09 pm

Magic stuff JB - magic!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:08 pm

Wonderful stuff JB....Only in Leitrim, all the truth....To Ollie, the Regan family and all you good folk bordering the Ocean...Leitrim- GG Team of 2011 - Page 6 Food-s41
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:57 pm

I'd heard of this man but never knew his name.. Sounds like some character, RIP.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:16 pm

Mickey Moran has retired. On health grounds apparently. Hope it's nothing too serious. New blood might do Leitrim the world of good.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:26 pm

In my opinion, Mickey Moran is the most underestimated manager of the last 20 years.

He came so close with Mayo in 2006, and I think for all his efforts he deserved to manage a team to an All-Ireland. Sending his team down to the Hill for their warm-up was a stroke of genius that year!

He did so well with Donegal and Sligo too, and Donegal in 2002 were not far off All-Ireland material. Even masterminding Leitrim's win over Sligo this year was no mean feat. I think they would have been genuine Connacht contenders had he remained on.

It's a pity he never led Derry to a second All-Ireland, though he was involved in Eammon Coleman's backtoom team in 1993.

Anyway, I hope the health issues are not too serious and that Mickey will be back patrolling the sidelines. Best of luck to him.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Illness and exhaustion are being quoted. About right I'd say....

We're north of €300k poorer, still in Div 4 and likely to be so this time next year.

I'd hope after all that it isn't anything too serious and that he makes a full recovery to good health. The pressures of managing Leitrim.. affraid
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:39 am

Boxtyeater wrote:Illness and exhaustion are being quoted. About right I'd say....

We're north of €300k poorer, still in Div 4 and likely to be so this time next year.

I'd hope after all that it isn't anything too serious and that he makes a full recovery to good health. The pressures of managing Leitrim.. affraid

I thought his health threat might have been caused by meeting a Boxty character at closing time one night recently in Mohill.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:48 am

Yeah Wishing Mickey A speedy recovery. Triple bypass sometime in december.

Tough job for whoever comes in. Ronan Gallagher heading away as is dermot reynolds and gary reynolds seemingly.
johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:52 am

Parouisa wrote:[I thought his health threat might have been caused by meeting a Boxty character at closing time one night recently in Mohill.

Boxty is trying manfully to preserve his failing health. Not being in Mohill at closing time is the first step in the programme......Leitrim- GG Team of 2011 - Page 6 Fighti17 Any town where the business owners refuse to meet the cost of running Christmas lights in a particular street isn't worthy of support
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:27 am

The show must go on......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Podger Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:20 pm

Thank less task. Bit like managin the Faroes
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare
Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:28 pm

Podger wrote:Thank less task. Bit like managin the Faroes

Perhaps, although they have won only one less senior provincial title than Kildare have in the last 50 years.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Podger Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:54 pm

very true. When we won our 11th in '56 Tyroen were winnign there first. We have only won 2 since - were did it all go wrong! Still we have 4 more sams than Leitrim, one more than Tyrone too. Very Happy
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:29 pm

Podger wrote: very true. When we won our 11th in '56 Tyroen were winnign there first. We have only won 2 since - were did it all go wrong! Still we have 4 more sams than Leitrim, one more than Tyrone too. Very Happy

Ah yes, historical successes. What was the atmosphere like when you won those 4 sams? Wink

As for Leitrim, a tiny population may have meant that they haven't had too many superstars down the years, but at least they managed to hold onto most of them. If only Kildare hadn't misplaced their 2 all-time greats...
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Podger Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:04 pm

Ah yes, Tyroen, where they invented the GAA in 2003. Antin previous has no relavance. Very Happy
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Podger wrote:Ah yes, Tyroen, where they invented the GAA in 2003. Antin previous has no relavance. Very Happy

no spell check on your PC?
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:17 pm

Podger wrote:Ah yes, Tyroen, where they invented the GAA in 2003. Antin previous has no relavance. Very Happy

I didn't actually mention Tyrone at all, but you did - twice. I could have mentioned our 13 all-irelands in the last 40 years (Kildare have none), but I didn't.

Stick to the topic at hand Podger. This is a celebration of Leitrim. I'm sure we'll eventually get round to celebrating Klldare's successes too Smile
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next