GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leitrim Team of all time

5 posters

Go down

Leitrim Team of all time Empty Leitrim Team of all time

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:42 pm

1. Martin McHugh

2. Leo Heslin
3. Seamus Quinn
4. Ollie Honeymoon

5. Joise Murray
6. John McKeon
7. Tony Hayden

8. Noel Blessing
9. Mickey Quinn

10. Mickey Martin
11. Packie McGarty
12. Paddy Dolan

13. Declan Darcy
14. Aidan Rooney
15. Cathal Flynn
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Leitrim Team of all time Empty Re: Leitrim Team of all time

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Good shout Loyal. You have included a close relation of mine, sadly no longer with us, in Noel Blessing, but I wouldn't have him at m/f... Your inclusion of Leo Heslin is a great call...Here's mine.

1. Noel Crossan.

2. Mick McGuinness.
3. John McKeon.
4. Ollie Honeyman.

5. Leo Heslin.
6. Josie Murray.
7. Tony Hayden.

8. Seamus Quinn
9. Mickey Quinn.

10. Mickey Martin
11. Packie McGarty
12. Paddy Dolan

13. Padraig Kenny.
14. Noel Blessing.
15. Cathal Flynn.

A small number of honourable mentions go to: Ben Wrynne, Mick McGuinness Snr. Dermot Gannon, Pat Donohoe and for his impact and service alone, Declan Maxwell..... Great servants to a man.

Last edited by Boxtyeater on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:24 pm

Great names Boxty. I was reading about the Leitrim team of the late fifties. McGarty, Dolan, Cryan and Flynn were the Gooch, Donaghy, O'Sullivan and Galvin of their day. Hard to believe they reached four Connacht finals in a row yet the coveted Nestor Cup eluded them. Though the day finally came on that famous afternoon in Hyde Park.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:16 pm

Very disappointing to see L2TR shamelessly sucking up to Boxty like this
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:47 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Great names Boxty. I was reading about the Leitrim team of the late fifties. McGarty, Dolan, Cryan and Flynn were the Gooch, Donaghy, O'Sullivan and Galvin of their day. Hard to believe they reached four Connacht finals in a row yet the coveted Nestor Cup eluded them. Though the day finally came on that famous afternoon in Hyde Park.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I was curious as to where you got Leo Heslin and Noel Blessing from tbh. We selected a "Team of the Milennium", but for the life of me am unable to locate it anywhere. Suffice to say that John McKeon wasn't on it and I have included Mick McGuinness Jnr from the modern era also, while excluding his late father Mick Snr. 10/12 of the above selections feature on the Milennium team at any rate. The "doubtfuls" are MMcG Jnr, John Mac, Padraig Kenny, Heslin and Blessing as noted, Declan Darcy and Aiden Rooney....

Fógra Puke...Stick to the ceilidh music.

Last edited by Boxtyeater on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:15 pm

Came across rave reviews of their talents somewhere. One notable absentee from your team is Aloysius Blessing, relation of Noel?

I searched for the Leitrim team of the Century myself but it could not be loacted on-line.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Podger Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:I was reading about the Leitrim team of the late fifties. McGarty, Dolan, Cryan and Flynn were the Gooch, Donaghy, O'Sullivan and Galvin of their day. Hard to believe they reached four Connacht finals in a row yet the coveted Nestor Cup eluded them.

no offense but they were the Gooch, Donaghy, O'Sullivan and Galvin of their day and cdnt even win a Connacht. Are you makin fun of hte Leitrim poster?
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare
Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:36 pm

Podger wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:I was reading about the Leitrim team of the late fifties. McGarty, Dolan, Cryan and Flynn were the Gooch, Donaghy, O'Sullivan and Galvin of their day. Hard to believe they reached four Connacht finals in a row yet the coveted Nestor Cup eluded them.

no offense but they were the Gooch, Donaghy, O'Sullivan and Galvin of their day and cdnt even win a Connacht. Are you makin fun of hte Leitrim poster?

Unfortunetely for Leitrim, Sean Purcell and Frank Stockwell were down the other end of the pitch who - to continue the analogy - were the Stephen O'Neill and Peter Canavan of their day.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:53 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Came across rave reviews of their talents somewhere. One notable absentee from your team is Aloysius Blessing, relation of Noel?

I searched for the Leitrim team of the Century myself but it could not be loacted on-line.

3 Blessing brothers gave long and dedicated service - Alo, Noel and Terry in order of age, but Alo wasn't quite as good as the other two IMO.
Their father, PC Blessing, was m/f on the Connacht team of 1927 and was married to my late aunt, hence the interest...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:10 am

It pains me but I can only remember leitrim teams back as far as 1993. I've seen the team of the millenium many times in Public Houses around the county but can't remember it.

Can name about ten players definitely on it.

Noel Crossan
Ollie Honeyman
Mick MCGuinness
Seamus Quinn
Noel Moran
Tony Hayden
Mickey Quinn
Mickey Martin
Packie Mcgarty
Leo Mcalinden
Paddy Dolan

For me the most outstanding player for leitrim over the past ten years has been Michael McGuinness. Closely followed by McKeon. Massive change is needed to Championship / League structure in the county.
johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim
Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:11 am

[quote="Loyal2TheRoyal"][quote="Podger"]
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:

Unfortunetely for Leitrim, Sean Purcell and Frank Stockwell were down the other end of the pitch who - to continue the analogy - were the Stephen O'Neill and Peter Canavan of their day.

Very true. Ha
johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim
Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Post  Podger Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:29 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
Podger wrote:

So two Galway men were better than 4 Leitirm greats who were as good as 4 Kerry greats who were not ass good as 2 Tyrone greats! No wonder Kerry never bet Tyrone.
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare
Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Milennium team.......Courtesy Of Prior's Bar & Lounge, Ballinamore.

Noel Crossan. (Sean O'Heslins)

Frank Quinn. (Cloone)
Seamus Quinn. (Gortletteragh)
Ollie Honeyman. (Sean O'Heslins)

Noel Moran. (Allen Gaels)
Josie Murray. (St.Marys)
Tony Hayden. (Bornacoola)

Leo McAlinden. (Cloone)
Mickey Quinn. (Aughawillian)

Paddy Dolan. (Sean O'Heslins)
Packy McGarty. (Round Towers)
Michael Martin. (St.Marys)