GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dublin - The land that time forgot

+6
mullins
hipster 2
Jayo Cluxton
patrique
3inarow08
Thomas Clarke
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dublin - The land that time forgot Empty Dublin - The land that time forgot

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:36 pm

1995. Forest Gump. The OJ Simpson trial. The original Playstation. Men marvelled at Miguel Indurain's 5th Tour de France win, and women dreamed of being Mrs George Michael.

But for a Dub, it was all about Jayo-mania and Sam. Ah yes, the rare auld times indeed. Yet, as 2010 draws to a close, not only have the Dubs not won Sam since but, even worse, they haven't even made a final in that time. Just think about that; no teenager in Dublin can honestly say that they remember seeing their side in an all-ireland football final. (Even Mayo have been in 4 in that time). The last Dublin player to captain his side on All Ireland final day turns 50 next year.

The world today is a very different place than it was all the way back then, some things for the better, some for the worse. So, in honour of those changing times, here is a list of 50 things that the world at large had never heard of the last time Dublin appeared in a senior All Ireland football final:

1 Easyjet
2 The internet
3 Ford Focus
4 Serbia
5 Hotmail
6 Today FM
7 Mobile Phones
8 Osama Bin Laden
9 Buffy the Vampire Slayer
10 Tony Blair
11 David Beckham
12 Sky +
13 The Bosman Ruling
14 DVD Players
15 Flat screen TVs
16 Digital Cameras
17 Ipods
18 Facebook
19 Ugg Boots
20 David Trimble
21 Texting
22 Reality television
23 Monica Lewinsky
24 Russell Crowe
25 East Timor
26 The Millennium Bug
27 The Good Friday Agreement
28 I-Tunes
29 The Euro
30 Pierce Brosnan as James Bond
31 Microsoft Outlook
32 Harry Potter
33 Dodi Al Fayed
34 Sat-Navs
35 Britney Spears
36 Tiger Woods
37 Toy Story
38 Simon Cowell
39 Jimmy Choo's
40 You-tube
41 Online gambling
42 Zinedine Zidane
43 Blackberrys
44 TV3
45 TG4
46 Nintendo DS
47 Hollyoaks
48 Back-door system in the GAA
49 The Spice Girls
50 The wheel (ok, not really, but it seems like it)
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Dublin - The land that time forgot Empty Re: Dublin - The land that time forgot

Post  3inarow08 Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:01 pm

Very good TC! Laughing

Where did you get that? Or have you been bored the last week and came up with 50 new things since '95? Shocked
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry
Number of posts : 793

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:12 pm

Cheers Triona. Work has wound down into Christmas mode already, and there is only so much online shopping you can do before Visa says 'no'. Oh, and I thought that Mullins, Jayo & Hipster deserved a tribute to bygone days. Smile
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:20 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Cheers Triona. Work has wound down into Christmas mode already, and there is only so much online shopping you can do before Visa says 'no'. Oh, and I thought that Mullins, Jayo & Hipster deserved a tribute to bygone days. Smile

You've a talent for being an intellectual WUM! And I mean that in a good way! Very Happy
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:01 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:1995. Forest Gump. The OJ Simpson trial. The original Playstation. Men marvelled at Miguel Indurain's 5th Tour de France win, and women dreamed of being Mrs George Michael.

But for a Dub, it was all about Jayo-mania and Sam. Ah yes, the rare auld times indeed. Yet, as 2010 draws to a close, not only have the Dubs not won Sam since but, even worse, they haven't even made a final in that time. Just think about that; no teenager in Dublin can honestly say that they remember seeing their side in an all-ireland football final. (Even Mayo have been in 4 in that time). The last Dublin player to captain his side on All Ireland final day turns 50 next year.

The world today is a very different place than it was all the way back then, some things for the better, some for the worse. So, in honour of those changing times, here is a list of 50 things that the world at large had never heard of the last time Dublin appeared in a senior All Ireland football final:

1 Easyjet
2 The internet
3 Ford Focus
4 Serbia
5 Hotmail
6 Today FM
7 Mobile Phones
8 Osama Bin Laden
9 Buffy the Vampire Slayer
10 Tony Blair
11 David Beckham
12 Sky +
13 The Bosman Ruling
14 DVD Players
15 Flat screen TVs
16 Digital Cameras
17 Ipods
18 Facebook
19 Ugg Boots
20 David Trimble
21 Texting
22 Reality television
23 Monica Lewinsky
24 Russell Crowe
25 East Timor
26 The Millennium Bug
27 The Good Friday Agreement
28 I-Tunes
29 The Euro
30 Pierce Brosnan as James Bond
31 Microsoft Outlook
32 Harry Potter
33 Dodi Al Fayed
34 Sat-Navs
35 Britney Spears
36 Tiger Woods
37 Toy Story
38 Simon Cowell
39 Jimmy Choo's
40 You-tube
41 Online gambling
42 Zinedine Zidane
43 Blackberrys
44 TV3
45 TG4
46 Nintendo DS
47 Hollyoaks
48 Back-door system in the GAA
49 The Spice Girls
50 The wheel (ok, not really, but it seems like it)

Copy cat.

I used that post (with 50 new inventions obviously) about Tyrone up until 2003.

The best "new thing" was "Australia discovered"
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:16 am

TC - sometimes things are worth waiting for ... ya hoor you! Razz Razz Razz Razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:44 am

ps - TC I may just post 1 million things that happened before the earth was invented (2003) ..............
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:36 pm

Ah now Patrique, I know you were once a history teacher, but your harking back to ancient times is a bit like the British believing that they still have an empire. No, this is a thread celebrating the modern world, whilst sparing a thought for all those young Dublin children (and young Dublin adults), who've never experienced the excitement of waking up on all ireland final day, pulling on the county colours, and heading down to Croker to cheer on their side in their quest for Sam.

Luckily JC & Mullins are old enough to remember far back to the glory days of 1974-77 (all 4 years of them), but for the not-so-long-in-the-tooth Dubs on this site, I'd be happy to share my (recent) all ireland final memories with them, if they'd like. I've quite a selection to chose from. By the way, and on the subject of modernity, was 'Decade of the Dubs' ever released on DVD?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:41 pm

how long did that take you have you no life man
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Those were the days
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:02 pm

mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:11 pm

See TC Sometimes all you need is a few old DVDS or VHS Videos to bring back all the reasons that next season could be special......Enjoy your dvds 1 year becomes 3 quickly before you know its 15 and still counting..
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:14 pm

mullins wrote:See TC Sometimes all you need is a few old DVDS or VHS Videos to bring back all the reasons that next season could be special......Enjoy your dvds 1 year becomes 3 quickly before you know its 15 and still counting..

sounds like a fooking Liverpool supporter Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Nice one TC - oh and a few saucers of milk please for the Dublin lads. Ye can give it lads but i'm f**ked if you can take it lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:39 pm

i come on hear to talk gaa not to talk .ollox that TC and a lot on here do like your self boc like what could have made some start a thread like this what type of boredom small minded gobsheenism , why would one go to the bother would one not be better off actually trying to start a thread of why dublin have not won sam , would that not encourage more people to join if yous could actually talk GAA topics
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Fair play to Mullins, getting into the spirit of things, by posting some you-tube links - you wouldn't have been able to do that 15 years ago Wink

With Hipster, though, I fear I may have touched a nerve. Perhaps he is one of that lost generation of young Dubs, yet to see the boys in blue on the 3rd Sunday in September. It's a shame that Essie and Swinny don't post here anymore, as they could also have told you what the experience is like. Mayo have 5 such big days out in that time. Sad
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:14 pm

do you know the sad thing TC is that you actually believe the bull you talk , and unlike your good self i have seen my county win many many all irelands i think even this year we won 2 major ones but then we dont go around bragging like yourself we just get on with things as we love all the gaa games in dublin unlike your own county
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:29 pm

I never realised the wounds of 95 were so deep..Even canavan was crying in the papers this year that he still hasn't got over it..Yes boc the Dubs are like liverpool fair point..Both 2nd in the Roll of houour in their respective countrys..
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:30 pm

mullins wrote:I never realised the wounds of 95 were so deep..Even canavan was crying in the papers this year that he still hasn't got over it..Yes boc the Dubs are like liverpool fair point..Both 2nd in the Roll of houour in their respective countrys..

Liverpool are 1st in the roll of honours in England, be it the English League or European Competitions.

Dublin are like Man. Utd.
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:35 pm

3inarow08 wrote:
mullins wrote:I never realised the wounds of 95 were so deep..Even canavan was crying in the papers this year that he still hasn't got over it..Yes boc the Dubs are like liverpool fair point..Both 2nd in the Roll of houour in their respective countrys..

Liverpool are 1st in the roll of honours in England, be it the English League or European Competitions.

I was only going by boc..i don't follow either team.. Prefer to be liverpool afterall they are our neighbours..I would have thought we are more like MILLWALL Rolling Eyes
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:53 pm

hipster 2 wrote:i come on hear to talk gaa not to talk .ollox that TC and a lot on here do like your self boc like what could have made some start a thread like this what type of boredom small minded gobsheenism , why would one go to the bother would one not be better off actually trying to start a thread of why dublin have not won sam , would that not encourage more people to join if yous could actually talk GAA topics

is there an interpreter handy ???????
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:54 pm

mullins wrote:
3inarow08 wrote:

I was only going by boc..i don't follow either team.. Prefer to be liverpool afterall they are our neighbours..I would have thought we are more like MILLWALL Rolling Eyes

your knowledge of GAA is matched only by your knowledge of soccer - though Liverpool and Dublin do have lots of things in common!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:17 pm

bocerty wrote:
mullins wrote:
3inarow08 wrote:

your knowledge of GAA is matched only by your knowledge of soccer - though Liverpool and Dublin do have lots of things in common!!!!

What would that be bocerty ..whats your knowledge of gaa,you done your best to tell me pre Dublin v Tyrone but i believe what you said was showing up to be wrong....
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:49 pm

mullins wrote:
bocerty wrote:
mullins wrote:
3inarow08 wrote:

What would that be bocerty ..whats your knowledge of gaa,you done your best to tell me pre Dublin v Tyrone but i believe what you said was showing up to be wrong....

fortunately for you Mullins you dont need much of a knowledge of any sport to predict a winner in a 2 horse race - like you i had a 50/50 chance to being right, i precited England would win the first test in the Ashed series and was right and yet i havent the first clue about cricket - you got lucky this time, next time you might not get the same rub of the green
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:13 pm

Actually Boc, Mullins' performance in the tipping contest last summer disproved the law of averages, as he got less than half the predictions correct. Dublin v Tyrone was one of the very few that he did. Probably best that you stay away from No.41 on my list Mullins.

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:42 pm

bocerty wrote: i precited England would win the first test in the Ashed series and was right

Sorry Boc - First Test was drawn but England won the Second Test alright. Both Man U and Liverpool have 18 Division One/Premiership titles as far as I know, United have 11 FA Cups - Pool 7 - Pool also have 7 League Cups to Uniteds 4. In Europe Liverpool have 5 Champs Lge/European Cups to Utds 3, 3 UEFAs to Uniteds one but Utd have 2 Cup Winners Cups to the Reds 0.

By the way I enjoyed TCs post.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next