GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How will Dublin approach the semi final this time

+10
Grenvile
Thomas Clarke
GAA-Fan
RMDrive
patsymc
Boxtyeater
Parouisa
Real Kerry Fan
OMAR
whiterbananas
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How will Dublin approach the semi final this time Empty How will Dublin approach the semi final this time

Post  whiterbananas Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:05 pm

We all remember 2006 when ciaran whelan's "challenge" on ronan mcgarrity caused mayo's best midfielder to be withdrawn from the game early on. It was clearly something the dubs had decided on beforehand. Interesting tactics though not to everyone's taste of course. Will it be a similar story this time or can we expect something different?
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

How will Dublin approach the semi final this time Empty Re: How will Dublin approach the semi final this time

Post  OMAR Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:18 pm

whiterbananas wrote:We all remember 2006 when ciaran whelan's "challenge" on ronan mcgarrity caused mayo's best midfielder to be withdrawn from the game early on. It was clearly something the dubs had decided on beforehand. Interesting tactics though not to everyone's taste of course. Will it be a similar story this time or can we expect something different?

Probably different. I doubt if Whelan will start
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

How will Dublin approach the semi final this time Empty Re: How will Dublin approach the semi final this time

Post  Real Kerry Fan Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Dubs down in Dingle this weekend training. Bad omen for Mayo. Twisted Evil
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:07 pm

Will Mayo take to the Hill. I suspect if they do there may be an intervention by a Garda on duty in the ground .... Rolling Eyes
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Parouisa wrote:Will Mayo take to the Hill. I suspect if they do there may be an intervention by a Garda on duty in the ground .... Rolling Eyes
I assume you are talking about the one who only wears a uniform to gain free entry. Never wears one outside these occasions. Embarassed
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:
Parouisa wrote:Will Mayo take to the Hill. I suspect if they do there may be an intervention by a Garda on duty in the ground .... Rolling Eyes
I assume you are talking about the one who only wears a uniform to gain free entry. Never wears one outside these occasions. Embarassed

The badge us enough to get them free into copperfacejacks too. But as we are talking dub tactics, if the mayo fans are in town the dubs may be best to avoid to ensure a fully fit panel for the final.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:14 am

By coach probably. Departure by hearse possibly.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:09 am

Real Kerry Fan wrote:

Never refuses a camera ..... Rolling Eyes
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  patsymc Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:15 pm

mayo have sam won already as always
patsymc
patsymc
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

london
Number of posts : 178

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:07 pm

I expect Dublin will target Alan Dillon for some treatment to keep him honest. He's going to be the winning or losing of it for them.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:25 pm

Would say there is going to be a lot of booing on Sunday
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:27 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:Would say there is going to be a lot of booing on Sunday

I can't comment on that as embarrassingly there was a Cork free booed by Donegal at the weekend. Not to mention the pass-cheering at the end. Not on. Embarassed
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:29 pm

RMDrive wrote:

I can't comment on that as embarrassingly there was a Cork free booed by Donegal at the weekend. Not to mention the pass-cheering at the end. Not on. Embarassed

I think you were already punished for the pass-cheering, as I'm pretty sure it led to the loss of concentration that resulted in the Cork goal.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:49 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
RMDrive wrote:

I think you were already punished for the pass-cheering, as I'm pretty sure it led to the loss of concentration that resulted in the Cork goal.

Reminded me of the "easy, easy" chants early on in the Tyrone game last year. You always pay for that carry on it seems!

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:17 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
RMDrive wrote:

True
But the space created by o Neill and the stagger forward by mcgee had the hallmarks of a seamus darby push in the back.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:42 am

I've put together a tactical preview of the semi here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin
Number of posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:50 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
RMDrive wrote:

I'm sure it played it's part and I believe that another part of that loss in concentration was the body-language of the Cork lads. A few of them were walking for the minute before the goal and I reckon the Donegal lads picked up on that and let their guard down.
There's no doubt about the push in the back though. McGee was send a couple of yards towards Hill 16.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:43 pm

RMDrive wrote:

I agree RMD. Some Kerry supporters were at that crap in Killarney v Tyrone and it was cringing to watch. Short memories I am afraid of Meath in 2001 semi final. TG Meath got their dose from the Galway fans in final. Never cast aspersions on the crocodile's mother until you have crossed the river. affraid
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:42 pm

Anyway with regards to Sunday's game there are a lot of ifs and buts that may have an affect the result. Is Alan Brogan fully fit? will Mayo play Seamus O'Shea in full forward ? Or Varden instead? .Very hard to call it but I think McQuillan could swing it. Razz
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  patsymc Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:43 pm

emmetryan wrote:I've put together a tactical preview of the semi here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

very good read emmet totally agree with you mayo have to much pace for dublin no coppers for the dubs this year,mayo backs will run at dublin creating space for there forwards for tap overs,alan brogan cant be fit i bet he wont start i had a groin strain i was out 9 weeks couldnt do a thing
patsymc
patsymc
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

london

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:09 pm

emmetryan wrote:I've put together a tactical preview of the semi here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

To be fair, Emmet, I think you are somewhat downplaying the loss of Andy Moran. Moran is a huge loss for Mayo, as his movement and link play are an integral part of the Mayo attack. Enda Varley does not pose the same threat individually, nor does he make the same overall contribution to the team. Moran and The Mort were both very good in the league game massacre, but both are now missing, and Mayo are running on fumes in that critical area of the field.

I also think that the return of Ger Brennan could be important. Brennan paid the price for a very sloppy half against Wexford and, although clearly a big admirer, Gilroy resisted the temptation to reintroduce him against Meath or Laois. Now, though, Gilroy knows he is at the business end of things, and needs his strongest side on the field, and Brennan is better in terms of positioning and leadership than Cian O'Sullivan in the half back line. Dublin are virtually back to their AI 15, with Fennell for Cahill being the only change.

Mayo are a much improved side under James Horan, but I think that this may be a step too far for them. Much has been made of their improved physicality, but Cork powered through them in the league final, and they will also find Dublin much bigger than Leitrim, Sligo or Down.

From 1-9 Mayo are at least as good as Dublin, but the Dublin inside forwards are much more dangerous than their Mayo counterparts. For Mayo to win, they will have to play the game on the front foot. They will have to push up on Cluxton's kick-outs, just like they did in the league, and will need Keegan, Vaughan, Boyle and the midfielders to dominate their direct opponents. If they can do this, and they can play the game on the front foot, they can starve the Brogans of possession, and give themselves a real chance. But if Dublin can break even around the middle, then I think that their full forwards will do more damage than Mayo's, and Dublin will win.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:59 pm

[quote="Thomas Clarke"]
I also think that the return of Ger Brennan could be important. Brennan paid the price for a very sloppy half against Wexford and, although clearly a big admirer, Gilroy resisted the temptation to reintroduce him against Meath or Laois. Now, though, Gilroy knows he is at the business end of things, and needs his strongest side on the field, and Brennan is better in terms of positioning and leadership than Cian O'Sullivan in the half back line. Dublin are virtually back to their AI 15, with Fennell for Cahill being the only change.

quote]

I agree that Emmet is somewhat over-hyping Mayo, much as I'd like to see them do it. On the Ger Brennan issue, I'm as sceptical of him as I was 2 years ago. He's crafty all right, but to me appears one-paced and one-footed. His temprement is also dubious.
Mayo are stepping up considerably here. With Moran fit I might have given them a chance but without him I fear for them. For all that's written about him Alan Dillon continues to infuriate me at any rate. He knocked over a scatter of grand points the last day when the back was broke in it. He won't find it as handy Sunday.
If Dublin can up the gears a notch then it's them by 3/4.......Meanwhile, enjoy some fine scenery here....

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:00 pm

David Brady was painful to listen to on Newstalk the other night. Mayo have beaten Sligo, Leitrim and Down to reach this stage of the Championship. Meath would be All-Ireland semi-finalists if that was the case. Brady was naming subs that would make an impact that have never even played a minute of championship football.

There is no chance they'll win on Sunday and little chance that they'll be able to provide Dublin with the kind of challenge that they got from Meath or Laois.

Andy Moran is a good player but let's not get carried away here. He cost Mayo a few scores with his insistence on taking a solo and a hop everytime he got on the ball against Down. His All Star last year was a token gesture - Diarmuid Connolly was a far superior player and got no AllStar because the selection committee couldn't be seen giving four AllStars to Dublin in the forwards.

The Mayo backs are good - well like any defensive unit these days, they are organised and are able to co-ordinate their defensive efforts. The forwards are bad and Bastick and Fennell will probably run the legs off the midfielders.

Dublin by 6+.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  patsymc Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:24 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:David Brady was painful to listen to on Newstalk the other night. Mayo have beaten Sligo, Leitrim and Down to reach this stage of the Championship. Meath would be All-Ireland semi-finalists if that was the case. Brady was naming subs that would make an impact that have never even played a minute of championship football.

There is no chance they'll win on Sunday and little chance that they'll be able to provide Dublin with the kind of challenge that they got from Meath or Laois.

Andy Moran is a good player but let's not get carried away here. He cost Mayo a few scores with his insistence on taking a solo and a hop everytime he got on the ball against Down. His All Star last year was a token gesture - Diarmuid Connolly was a far superior player and got no AllStar because the selection committee couldn't be seen giving four AllStars to Dublin in the forwards.

The Mayo backs are good - well like any defensive unit these days, they are organised and are able to co-ordinate their defensive efforts. The forwards are bad and Bastick and Fennell will probably run the legs off the midfielders.

Dublin by 6+.

mayo have the better scoring forwards i disagree with that post
patsymc
patsymc
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

london

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:18 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:

Dublin by 6+.
Andy Moran was Mayo's best player last year and fully deserved his All-star if it wasn't for him London would have beaten them. Diarmuid Connolly should have been named the most inconsistent player of the year 0-7 v Tyrone then held scoreless v Donegal,Kerry i'm nearly sure the Dublin keeper ended up with more scores than him in 2011.

As for the game i agree Dublin should win with a bit to spare.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next