GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ilegal payments to GAA managers

+9
OMAR
Thomas Clarke
The Puke
Boxtyeater
bald eagle
bocerty
whiterbananas
mullins
Peter Solan the Great
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ilegal payments to GAA managers Empty ilegal payments to GAA managers

Post  Peter Solan the Great Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:29 pm

Look we all know they happen. I have just seen an article on HS Steps taken to stamp out manager payments making County secretaries and Chairpersons sign sworn affidavits saying no ilegal payments are to be made. In the same article it states that Paraic Duffy state at a Dinner in Dublin last year he was aware of a "well-known mercenary" manager in Ulster who received unofficial payments of £30,000 received from two prominent businessmen is the HS quote.

Peter Solan the Great
Peter Solan the Great
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Mayo
Number of posts : 172

Back to top Go down

ilegal payments to GAA managers Empty Re: ilegal payments to GAA managers

Post  Peter Solan the Great Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:09 pm

anyone care to speculate who this Mercenary manager in Ulster is?
Peter Solan the Great
Peter Solan the Great
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:30 pm

Peter Solan the Great wrote:anyone care to speculate who this Mercenary manager in Ulster is?
mharte
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:41 pm

there isnt a county manager in the country not gettin paid in one way or another
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:01 pm

whiterbananas wrote:there isnt a county manager in the country not gettin paid in one way or another

or a club manager
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:50 pm

mullins wrote:
Peter Solan the Great wrote:anyone care to speculate who this Mercenary manager in Ulster is?
mharte

dont think its Harte - could be any one of a number of managers
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Solan the Great Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:57 pm

bocerty wrote:
mullins wrote:
mharte

dont think its Harte - could be any one of a number of managers

I have a good inkling who he is talking about. Its not one person but a combo that has been recenly separated.
Peter Solan the Great
Peter Solan the Great
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:57 pm

[quote="Peter Solan the Great"]Look we all know they happen. I have just seen an article on HS Steps taken to stamp out manager payments making County secretaries and Chairpersons sign sworn affidavits saying no ilegal payments are to be made. In the same article it states that Paraic Duffy state at a Dinner in Dublin last year he was aware of a "well-known mercenary" manager in Ulster who received unofficial payments of £30,000 received from two prominent businessmen is the HS quote. /quote]

I do know that Damian Cassidy charged his own club Bellaghy £10,000 per year to manage them and that the money was paid by a local businessman who owned a massive steelworks and coachbuilding business that used to sponsor Derry (Not Sperrin Metal or Galvanisers)

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:01 pm

Peter Solan the Great wrote:he was aware of a "well-known mercenary" manager in Ulster who received unofficial payments of £30,000 received from two prominent businessmen[/i] is the HS quote.

All this fuss over £30k.....What is it only the price of a middling car? These managers rack up serious miles looking at junior and intermediate matches along with the county senior team duties. We can hardly expect them to be thumbing lifts around the place now can we?????
Probably mileage in it for the business man..."ask not what your county can do for you blah blah..."
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:35 pm

mullins wrote:
whiterbananas wrote:there isnt a county manager in the country not gettin paid in one way or another

or a club manager

non sense, plenty of club managers around who don't look for a penny.....The only men who get paid are the outside managers, no local man should ever look for so much as a red cent for training his own
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:55 am

mullins wrote:
mharte

What makes you think that it is Mickey Harte, Mullins?

Pretty serious allegation, in both the eyes of the association and taxman. I'm guessing you have some proof, or at least inside knowledge, on the subject?

Personally, I'd be stunned if Mickey Harte is getting anything more than expenses from Tyrone.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:50 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
mullins wrote:
mharte

What makes you think that it is Mickey Harte, Mullins?

Pretty serious allegation, in both the eyes of the association and taxman. I'm guessing you have some proof, or at least inside knowledge, on the subject?

Personally, I'd be stunned if Mickey Harte is getting anything more than expenses from Tyrone.

Curious as to why someone would figure that its Harte or any manager managing his native county (e.g McCartan) is being accused when the article uses the term Mercanary which to me clearly suggests that it is a manager not managing his native county.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:34 pm

Totally agree Omar. Particularly with the larger counties, where such jobs are coveted. I mean, I would doubt very much if Jack O'Connor is getting more than expenses in Kerry, or Pat Gilroy, or Counihan, or McCartan, as you say.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:57 pm

Hard one to call.
Personally think if that is true regarding Bellaghy then the club need to take a good long hard look at themselves.
Clubs going broke over paying a manager is stupidity of the highest order, most of the time the don't even win.
Agree with TC and OMAR find it hard to believe a native man is interested in getting any more that what is due to him/her.
Times like these will make it worse because clubs/counties will be looking for short term success and looking more increasingly at the "outside man bullshit syndrome". I know it will raise its head in our place this year but those ignorant of the club and the mess it was left in (talking about discipline and structure on the field, etc) can't even fathom how good a job was done in our place this year, granted we had higher expectations (but every year you always do) and defeat/elimination always leaves a cold hard clinical appraisal of the game rather than the overall picture.

I really believe no club should pay a trainer/manager as this is training curve for them to get the ultimate role an inter county gig. But then you hear about "managers" who will only do clubs and usually 2/3 clubs in different counties and its all for the cash. Famous KK holiday hurler was doing a club in Wexford a few years ago €140 a night/session and they ended up winning football rather than hurling titles make you wonder!!. At the same time he was also "looking after" 2 other club teams in different counties.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr.Shephard Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:56 pm

I know of a manager of an Intermediate club side who is getting E1200 a month for 10 months of the year.
Dr.Shephard
Dr.Shephard
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Leitrim
Number of posts : 143

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:16 pm

JimWexford wrote:
I really believe no club should pay a trainer/manager as this is training curve for them to get the ultimate role an inter county gig.

Agree 100% Jim, i've managed a few club teams in Derry before moving away (never my own), i always managed at Senior level and i have to say i couldn't find it in me to look for payment from any of them, jesus one of them i didn't even take the expenses from - i donated it for underage gear!

I did get a call from an Armagh club once who invited me to a meeting with the view of managing them, i went down to meet up with them and was stunned when they offered me payments that would have totalled £8,000 if i could get them to win certain competitions! I had already been offered the job at a Derry club (the one i donated my expenses back to) who were p!ss poor and potless, so i took them and managed to be pretty successful with them. I just couldn't bring myself to coach for money, the fun would have went out of it and the pressure would have increased by a sh!tload! It's not about the money for me, it never has been and i hate hearing about managers getting "payment"!

I certainly don't think Mickey Harte is getting payed, that's for sure!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:20 pm

Dr.Shephard wrote:I know of a manager of an Intermediate club side who is getting E1200 a month for 10 months of the year.

Was he a local or an outsider, going rate for an outside coach manager is normally around 150 a session depending on their reputation....
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:00 pm

The Puke wrote:
Dr.Shephard wrote:I know of a manager of an Intermediate club side who is getting E1200 a month for 10 months of the year.

Was he a local or an outsider, going rate for an outside coach manager is normally around 150 a session depending on their reputation....

Going rate in this part of the world would be €70/90 Euro a session
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Solan the Great Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:08 pm

Who here would class Mick O'Dwyer a mercenary manager?
Peter Solan the Great
Peter Solan the Great
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Peter Solan the Great wrote:Who here would class Mick O'Dwyer a mercenary manager?

Dwyer could hardly be deemed a mercenary manager Peter, he does it because counties ask him, for his knowledge and other ancillary talents. Wink
Granted, he has to get a modicum of expenses, he'd hardly be expected to drive from Waterville for nothing. He's a man who, I'm told, was never that fond of money and puts in this effort "for the love of it"......
Sure at his age, he'd hardly be short of a shekel, between the various enterprises he's been engaged in.....not a mercenary....and no tow-bar on the hearse....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:07 pm

JimWexford wrote:
The Puke wrote:

Hurling or Football....
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:37 pm

The Puke wrote:
JimWexford wrote:
The Puke wrote:

Hurling or Football....
Both
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:47 pm

Tis 150 here or there abouts for the usual suspects like Fergie Touhy, Fergie O'Loughlin, Sean Hehir, John Meskell, Liam O'Donoghue....You would get a lad with trying to make a name for himself for a bit less.....Yet for all of this off the top of my head the last 6 county champions have all been trained/managed by local men
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:28 am

Boxtyeater wrote:
Peter Solan the Great wrote:Who here would class Mick O'Dwyer a mercenary manager?

Dwyer could hardly be deemed a mercenary manager Peter, he does it because counties ask him, for his knowledge and other ancillary talents. Wink
Granted, he has to get a modicum of expenses, he'd hardly be expected to drive from Waterville for nothing. He's a man who, I'm told, was never that fond of money and puts in this effort "for the love of it"......
Sure at his age, he'd hardly be short of a shekel, between the various enterprises he's been engaged in.....not a mercenary....and no tow-bar on the hearse....

You couldn't be more wrong ...... as Charlie might have said .. the hugriest of them all ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Joseff Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:42 am

Cost of paying the Monaghan managment "team" for 2010 = 80,000

Thats an absolute disgrace.
This is repeated throughout the country, what are we thinking?

Managers who take money should be hung out to dry like Seannie Fitzpatrick and Co !

Yours In Sport,
Joseff
Joseff
Joseff
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Louth
Number of posts : 140

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content