GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paul Grimley

+6
samin12
mullins
Thomas Clarke
Loyal2TheRoyal
Jayo Cluxton
GAA-Fan
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Paul Grimley Empty Paul Grimley

Post  GAA-Fan Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:26 pm

Back in Armagh as Paddy's number 2.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Paul Grimley Empty Re: Paul Grimley

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:33 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:Back in Armagh as Paddy's number 2.

More attacking and exciting football on the way so! Laughing

This will probably save O'Rourke's skin - yeah? And is it really PG No 1 and POR No 2?
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:38 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
GAA-Fan wrote:Back in Armagh as Paddy's number 2.

More attacking and exciting football on the way so! Laughing

This will probably save O'Rourke's skin - yeah? And is it really PG No 1 and POR No 2?

Grimley has played it safe I think. If he stays as number 2 then he will know what he has to work with next year. Paddy O'Rourke is staying in just to finish the contract. Could also mean Armagh getting a new goalkeeper!
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:47 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:Grimley has played it safe I think. If he stays as number 2 then he will know what he has to work with next year. Paddy O'Rourke is staying in just to finish the contract.

Yep thats the deal I reckon. Where does that leave Geezer?? He'll prob come in on year two of PG to take over in year three!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:53 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
GAA-Fan wrote:Grimley has played it safe I think. If he stays as number 2 then he will know what he has to work with next year. Paddy O'Rourke is staying in just to finish the contract.

Yep thats the deal I reckon. Where does that leave Geezer?? He'll prob come in on year two of PG to take over in year three!

Don't think Geezer is interested in the position. I would like to think something like this would happen but can't see it myself. Grimley has gone for the management position twice and both times he was ignored. The Co Board must finally be getting their act together. Grimley is probably the best person Armagh could have hoped for. If Armagh dont produce something in the next few years there is no excuse.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:59 pm

Grimley a great man to have on your staff - said here a couple of years ago that I'd love him in the Dub set-up to teach us to tackle! (We seem to have improved though). Has no credentials as a Number One - interesting to see if he could do that - though he should have been given the opportunity before now.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:03 am

Grimley will do better in Armagh because he knows the players, something he wouldnt have a great deal of knowledge about at the other counties he has worked at. POR hasn't had the greatest two years but if anyone can make him look good its Grimley...regardless of how well Armagh do next year POR is gone.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:45 am

Bad news here for Banty with 75% of the original backroom team now gone less than a year after appointment. Bearing in mind the backroom team was a key factor in winning over the selection committee and the club delegates. Could be a new manager for Meath again.

Grimley strikes me as a bit of mercenary - Armagh in 2006, Cavan in 2007, Kildare in 2008 & 2009, Monaghan in 2010, Meath in 2011, Armagh in 2012. Did any of them win anything while Grimley was involved?

It must also say something about the way Banty does business that himself and McElkennon are the only ones from the original setup left. And McElkennon's role was peripheral at best - certainly fifth in line before Harnan, Callaghan and Grimley upped and left.

Grimely's record is ordinary enough and coupled with the medocrity of Armagh, I think the big news here is what's going to happen next when Pairc Tailteann meets again.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:14 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote: And McElkennon's role was peripheral at best - certainly fifth in line before Harnan, Callaghan and Grimley upped and left.

Is that really the case Loyal? He had a very large influence in Cavan & Monaghan, where he was responsible for the physical preparation and, to a degree, the style of play.

If anything, Id've guessed that it was Grimley who maybe found himself as the odd man out.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:21 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote: And McElkennon's role was peripheral at best - certainly fifth in line before Harnan, Callaghan and Grimley upped and left.

Is that really the case Loyal? He had a very large influence in Cavan & Monaghan, where he was responsible for the physical preparation and, to a degree, the style of play.

If anything, Id've guessed that it was Grimley who maybe found himself as the odd man out.

I heard that many of the players rarely even met McElkennon whilst Harnan and Callaghan were still involved - he was at the odd training but certainly not all of them. Of course that's only hearsay, so you could be right.

Meath County Board to meet on the 12th of September when Banty's fate could be decided.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:26 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote: Meath County Board to meet on the 12th of September when Banty's fate could be decided.

He should never have been appointed in the first place, as there is no reason for a county like Meath to ever have an outside manager. But that is another topic...
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Grimley never wanted those jobs and was offered them when the Armagh job was not available.
It was the Co Board that got Grimley back...dont know how but they did it.

GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:49 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:Grimley never wanted those jobs and was offered them when the Armagh job was not available.

Did you not read what Loyal said,Grimley follows the money.........that's how armagh got him back
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:04 pm

mullins wrote:
GAA-Fan wrote:Grimley never wanted those jobs and was offered them when the Armagh job was not available.

Did you not read what Loyal said,Grimley follows the money.........that's how armagh got him back

When it comes to Armagh with Grimley, money is second. Believe me.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:15 pm

Has anyone worked out yet how Paddy O'Rourke came to be managing Armagh?

Firstly, he is a an all-ireland winning captain from Down, Armagh's biggest rivals, and secondly he was a disaster when in charge of the Down team himself.

Is there any county who would welcome Paddy as their manager, let alone Armagh?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  samin12 Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:31 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Has anyone worked out yet how Paddy O'Rourke came to be managing Armagh?

Firstly, he is a an all-ireland winning captain from Down, Armagh's biggest rivals, and secondly he was a disaster when in charge of the Down team himself.

Is there any county who would welcome Paddy as their manager, let alone Armagh?

Because the Armagh County board are broke and he was prepared to do the job for free (which is why he is still in charge i'd imagine), which also makes me doubt that Grimley has left Meath for Armagh for money reasons. Highly unlikely

samin12
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

armagh
Number of posts : 185

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:42 pm

Seriously Samin? I don't doubt that O'Rourke is doing it for free (he may not be a great manager, but he always seemed like an honourable fella), but is there no-one in the county of any ability that would also have done it for free?

I always feel it is a real shame to see any county approaching an outside manager, particularly one of Armagh's standing.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:45 pm

There was a committee established when appointing POR. The co board had one representative then there was Paul McGrane and one or two others. Its hard to know what is going on with the County Board. Joe Kernan was thought to be pulling the strings and McDonnell stated that people interfering was the reason he left - Most managers probably heard similiar rumours going around and that probably why Armagh appointed someone outside of the county. There was also a rumour that if Joe didn't get his way the Morgan would pull the sponsorship...but then Boylesports was waiting in the wings to come in and sponsor them. The Co Board dosen't have alot of money to spend on managers and POR is doing the job on a lot less than what Joe or Peter was doing it for but he is also getting some royalties from the job.

Not too sure what is happening now with Grimley but it isnt for the money. He knows Armagh club football better than anyone which is why Armagh fans are crying out for him to return and we all know the guy loves Armagh football and his motive for returning to Armagh is for football reasons.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:46 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Seriously Samin? I don't doubt that O'Rourke is doing it for free (he may not be a great manager, but he always seemed like an honourable fella), but is there no-one in the county of any ability that would also have done it for free?

I always feel it is a real shame to see any county approaching an outside manager, particularly one of Armagh's standing.

I would actually believe that he does do it for free - Although a high profile in GAA circles and related networking certainly does not seem to have harmed the continued success of his contracting company.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:44 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Seriously Samin? I don't doubt that O'Rourke is doing it for free (he may not be a great manager, but he always seemed like an honourable fella), but is there no-one in the county of any ability that would also have done it for free?

Nobody works for free anymore no one.....
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:50 pm

Cork and Clare hurling manager jobs are basic milage and related expenses. As good as free
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:55 pm

I got first hand information that an inter county manager is receiving 250,000 a year and another on 150,000 a year.......and their not from ulster

mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:57 pm

mullins wrote:I got first hand information that an inter county manager is receiving 250,000 a year and another on 150,000 a year.......and their not from ulster

Some managers, normally those from outside the county get paid decent money. Donal O'Grady being a case in point but to maintain that nobody works for free anymore as to imply that they are all getting huge money is well wide of the mark, especially given the current economic climate
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:00 pm

The Puke wrote:Cork and Clare hurling manager jobs are basic milage and related expenses. As good as free

Most big footballing counties are the same. Mickey Harte is getting that, as is O'Rourke, I'm sure. John Brennan, Jack O'Connor, Conor Counihan, Pat Gilroy, James McCartan - hard to see any of those getting more than expenses.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:01 pm

The Puke wrote:
mullins wrote:I got first hand information that an inter county manager is receiving 250,000 a year and another on 150,000 a year.......and their not from ulster

Some managers, normally those from outside the county get paid decent money. Donal O'Grady being a case in point but to maintain that nobody works for free anymore as to imply that they are all getting huge money is well wide of the mark, especially given the current economic climate

That's what i thought puke, i said the same thing but he said no its the truth.....The 2 amounts sound crazy but this man is well in the know..

The county board are not paying this,its not O'Grady either
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down