GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Performance of the St. Colman's team in the Hogan Final

+5
BlueArmy2010
mullins
hogan2010
SamiPremier08
bluearmy1
9 posters

Go down

Performance of the St. Colman's team in the Hogan Final Empty Performance of the St. Colman's team in the Hogan Final

Post  bluearmy1 Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:17 pm

Violet Hill won their 7th All-Ireland title yesterday with an impressive performance in Croke Park against St Brendan's College. St. Colman's were always in control of the game but to be fair to St. Brendan's they stood up well to a team which was giving an exhibition of fast slick football. Who was most impressive for the teams? Any other possible man of the match apart from Chris Clarke?
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down
Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Performance of the St. Colman's team in the Hogan Final Empty Re: Performance of the St. Colman's team in the Hogan Final

Post  SamiPremier08 Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:19 pm

SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Performance of the St. Colman's team in the Hogan Final Empty Re: Performance of the St. Colman's team in the Hogan Final

Post  hogan2010 Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:30 pm

St Brendans weren't half the side the College were but you cannot fault their effort. Lesser teams would have given up and thrown in the towel. The sem refused to do this and fought tooth and nail until the final whistle. They have some spirit and all the best to them! I thought Stevenson had a great game, as did Gough and Johnston and when he came off the bench I thought McCarton made a real impact but the Man of the Match decision was the correct one. Chris Clarke was a different class! That wont be the last time he runs out in Croker!

hogan2010
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Down
Number of posts : 44

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:32 pm

bluearmy1 wrote:Violet Hill won their 7th All-Ireland title yesterday with an impressive performance in Croke Park against St Brendan's College. St. Colman's were always in control of the game but to be fair to St. Brendan's they stood up well to a team which was giving an exhibition of fast slick football. Who was most impressive for the teams? Any other possible man of the match apart from Chris Clarke?

Its always good to win a big match in croker...I never remember the crowd trouble.. Performance of the St. Colman's team in the Hogan Final Icon_biggrin Performance of the St. Colman's team in the Hogan Final Icon_biggrin either does history
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Performance of the St. Colman's team in the Hogan Final Empty ..

Post  bluearmy1 Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:26 pm

Yeah Clarke was fantastic. He's a real workhorse of a player; a very quiet and down to earth lad who does the simple thing on the pitch. Yesterday, as usual, everytime he got the ball he took a look all around checking all his options. He was involved in almost every St. Colman's score which is no mean feat considering the pace at which the College played the game, and of course finished the game as top scorer. He showed all the qualities that are expected of top players and is certainly one to watch. I think Jerome Johnston had a fair shout at man of the match too, he posted 4 points and his passing was sublime. His use of the diagonal ball into the corner forwards was one of the finer points of the way the College played yesterday. Connor Gough, known for his inspirational abilities, had an excellent game. He won some great catches in midfield and the fans loved his wee flick to stop the ball going over the sideline at one point. A possible captain for next year. Paul Lively was very consistent and like Clarke seemed to be involved in everything. Niall McParland was excellent as ever and has been a great captain and deserves to join the exclusive list of Violet Hill Hogan-winning captains.

All credit to the management as well. Cathal Murray is a shrewd operator and the style of football used by St. Colman's yesterday was typical of the glorious Down team which Murray was a part of. Declan Mussen is a great man for fitness (and cones lol) and the pace at which St Colman's played was top quality. At the start if the game I honestly believed that the College would never sustain that pace for the whole game but for a full hour they absolutely bust themselves.

It must be said though that the St Colman's goal was a bit soft considering the penalty save and if the Sem hadn't conceded they would only have been 3 points off the College. It just shows how hard they worked because to be honest most teams would have been absolutely demolished by the College yesterday.

In the wise words of the quiet man Chris Clarke on TG4, "We emptied the tank"
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueArmy2010 Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:31 pm

Performance of the day goes to Colm Kelly at the presentation ceremony, what a man!!! Performance of the St. Colman's team in the Hogan Final Lol

BlueArmy2010
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Down
Number of posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Performance of the St. Colman's team in the Hogan Final Empty ...

Post  bluearmy1 Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:34 pm

Yea I think the drink told him that he was an umpire or somethin! The smile on Paddy O'Hanlons face when he was being handcuffed on the ground might just win him fan of the day
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueArmy2010 Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:36 pm

On a serious note, Shane McGreevey was brilliant yesterday, just as he was brilliant all year, and last year. Mac Rory player of the year...cert!

BlueArmy2010
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Down
Number of posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:44 pm

Definitely a great player. I didn't really mention any of the defenders because they never seem to be in trouble but to be fair every player on the pitch had the better of his man.....they were quicker and hungrier in every part of the pitch. McGreevy has been brilliant all year, a great hassler and not the sort of defender to just win the ball and kick it away, always runs out with the ball and finds the pass. The Clonduff men have all performed well this season.
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:49 am

SamiPremier08 wrote:

My intial thought exactly! Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:34 am

Must've been a great performance to deliver a stuffing like that in a Hogan Cup Final. I remember being on the end of a thumping from St Jarlaths in the early 90's when Galway schools dominated the colleges scene and we know what Galway went on to do! Hopefully this will be the begining of a new dawn for Down now.

Colemans are a special GAA college, they always have that presence about them when you play them no matter what the strength of the team and it's good to see them dining at the top table again. Hopefully St. Pat's will give them a go in the MacRory next year!!!

Welcome to GT to all the new members, great reading through the other thread and good to see the new members stirring it up!!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  hogan2010 Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:42 pm

bald eagle wrote:Must've been a great performance to deliver a stuffing like that in a Hogan Cup Final. I remember being on the end of a thumping from St Jarlaths in the early 90's when Galway schools dominated the colleges scene and we know what Galway went on to do! Hopefully this will be the begining of a new dawn for Down now.

Colemans are a special GAA college, they always have that presence about them when you play them no matter what the strength of the team and it's good to see them dining at the top table again. Hopefully St. Pat's will give them a go in the MacRory next year!!!

Welcome to GT to all the new members, great reading through the other thread and good to see the new members stirring it up!!

Sure the board would be boring without it wouldnt it! If ever I need entertainment again I'll just come on here and write the words 'anti ulster bias' or find esthermayo and say something like 'jaysus weren't the B specials some craic' and our days will be lightened up again!! Performance of the St. Colman's team in the Hogan Final Lol Performance of the St. Colman's team in the Hogan Final Lol

hogan2010
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Down

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:13 pm

I thought they had won 8.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:17 pm

Yeah I saw that mistake made somewhere, HS.com was it? St. Colman's have won 7; 1967, 1975, 1986, 1988, 1993, 1998, 2010
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down

Back to top Go down

Post  ArmaghMouth Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Excellent display by a far superior team. No disrespect to St. Brendan's, but Ulsters time has come! I believe the semi-final and the final of the MacRory were the hardest matches we've had all year. Had to fight to the bitter end for the trophy in Casement. The lads deserve the success though. Their preparation was unbelieveable, and their fitness just blew all the competition away.

Chris Clarke thuroughly deserved his MOTM award - he was outstanding! No wonder we all dream of an entire team composed of 15 Chris Clarkes! No-one really had a bad game on Saturday, and sure even shortly into the second half the game was over so they did kinda take their foot off the pedal - but only a little bit!

Hats off to the management who managed to lift the team to greatness after a close defeat to Dungannon last year. Hopefully this can be repeated next year with many of the players still there - many of whom are easily potential inter-county All-Stars in the not too distant future. And good luck to all those players who have to say goodbye to the College in June. You helped the dream become a reality.

Colaiste Cholmain Abu!

ArmaghMouth
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Armagh
Number of posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:54 pm

That game against Dungannon last year still gets mentioned on the carry-out......
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:51 pm

Frank Toman played in 1967, and I know Hamill from Glenavy captained the team maybe in 88.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:59 pm

OMG. This place has been invaded by a bunch of pimply adolescent teens from Norn Iron who get drunk on a packet of wine gums and behave obnoxiously. Its a pity Paul doesn't teach them. They might have some manners if he did.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:23 pm

To be fair Katrina the comments so far on this thread have been totally football related with none of the shenanigans of the other thread about the supporters. Needless dust being kicked up!

Unless of course you're looking to start a slagging match in which case your not-that-funny comments will be responded to in typical Blue Army fashion...
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down

Back to top Go down

Post  ArmaghMouth Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:33 pm

KerryKatriona wrote:OMG. This place has been invaded by a bunch of pimply adolescent teens from Norn Iron who get drunk on a packet of wine gums and behave obnoxiously. Its a pity Paul doesn't teach them. They might have some manners if he did.
Oh its gone kick off now!!!
You have just started world war IV. World war III was the post about the behaviour of the blue army. Yer man who started WWIII now has no ears left as we chewed them off! Well... theoretically.
Do you really want us to get into this or just accept your post was stupid and out of place?

ArmaghMouth
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Armagh
Number of posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:42 pm

yahhhhhhhhh
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:24 am

Well the obnoxious thread was rightly locked so this is the only one I can comment on having been at the game watching my nephews doing their best but losing to a better team. I haven't been on for a while and I come back to a plethora of hormonally charged teens commenting on a single thread (I see they have not become involved on this site at all with their infantile usernames) and defending puerile behaviour. 12 year olds slagging off one of the game's all time greats. Drunk and swearing in the stands and then getting all precious because they were stopped from carrying their unacceptable behaviour onto the pitch. I'd imagine Sean O'Neill, DJ Kane and all other Down greats were hugely impressed with the behaviour of the fans alright. To the team, the kudos. To the genuine fans, congrats. To the rabble, go follow Newry Town in Windsor Park or maybe grow up.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:24 am

Oh and how do we define 'infantile' usernames? Oh I see what you've done there....your name's Katriona....and KerryKatriona is alliteration! Fantastic! Blue Peter badge is on the way and there'll be a parade at 12 tomorrow.

We've been through this discussion already KerryKatriona (I just can't stop saying it now....if I pay you will you make up a username for me?) and seems like you're desperate to have a wee go yourself. Read the other thread....I think everything that could have been said was said.

And to be fair....for all those '12 year olds' Intercounty stars are supposed to be an example; slagging off Galvin wasn't nice at all....but Galvin wasn't a 'hormonally charged' teen when he had a hissy fit and smacked the ref's book out of his hand.

And sorry KerryKatriona (love it), but most of the lads at the game wouldn't know much about Newry Town (take it you mean Newry City?) and wouldn't follow them at all. Actually most of them aren't even from Newry. I'm sure Sean O'Neill and DJ Kane wouldn't give a damn about the immature actions of a few teenagers.

And let's be honest here, swearing is always heard in the stands. From sober adults. Maybe the older GAA members should be setting a better example.

Fungi burger anyone?
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down

Back to top Go down

Post  hogan2010 Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:24 am

KerryKatriona wrote:OMG. This place has been invaded by a bunch of pimply adolescent teens from Norn Iron who get drunk on a packet of wine gums and behave obnoxiously. Its a pity Paul doesn't teach them. They might have some manners if he did.

Christ could you not just have left this alone Katriona! It was done to death in the other thread and this was for discussing the actual football match which is what this forum is all about! There were plenty who said just what you have said here and plenty saying otherwise! For the record Im not a teen, I have no spots. Ive defended the younger lads in the other post because they're kids and when your mates are in an all ireland final...thats what kids do! Now can we please leave the bitching to the other post which is thankfully locked and keep this forum for sporting matters!

hogan2010
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Down

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down