GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogan Cup final - Congratulations to St Colman's College

3 posters

Go down

Hogan Cup final - Congratulations to St Colman's College Empty Hogan Cup final - Congratulations to St Colman's College

Post  bluearmy1 Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:56 pm

Congratulations to the lads from Violet Hill today for winning the school's first ever back to back in the Hogan competition. It is an achievement that will place them among the greatest of all the St Colmans teams of the past. As a St Colmans man through and through let me be the first to congratulate St Jarlaths for producing a performance worthy of any All-Ireland winning team. Such performances usually produce a win. Their use of the space in Croke Park was very economic and their forwards, particularly young Varley, were extremely impressive. Niall Donnelly, one of the best young defenders in the country at the minute in my opinion, is rarely left for dead but Varley gave him real bother today.

St Jarlaths will feel that they could have won this game, and they really could have. They played better football for longer periods of the game, using the space of Croke Park far more sensibly. However, their failure to be more clinical in front of goal was a major factor in their defeat. Twice, when the goal was there for the taking, they tried the fancy option rather than making use of the couple of yards they had. In a game between two attacking teams, goals will win the game.

I have always said about St Colmans teams that they shine when they are under pressure. Just when I thought the game was going to slip away from them Caolan Mooney would suddenly come alive and produce a wonderful catch or score, Shay McArdle would win the ball in the tackle and lay it off sensibly, and Daryl Brannigan would somehow manage to come out of a ruck with the ball in his hands surrounded by lads twice his strength.

Down Gaels appreciate attacking teams. Any team that attacks is respected across the Mournes. St Jarlaths could well have walked away with the Hogan Cup today and no one could have disputed their worthiness. They attacked relentlessly. For me, St Colmans are the better team. They tried too hard to use the space of Croke Park and kicked long balls into no man's land when they should have been playing the passing game that was so devastating against Dungannon. When they did play the running game today they were better, and forced a lot of frees.

St Colmans are slowly creeping up on St Jarlath's record in the Hogan competition. The school's sport facilities are now probably among the finest in Ireland with several acres of football pitches, some of which are 3G, and a top quality gym. St Colmans, as Down's recent progress at senior and underage level suggests, is well poised to become Ireland's premier footballing school.

Abbey for McLarnon!
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down
Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Hogan Cup final - Congratulations to St Colman's College Empty Re: Hogan Cup final - Congratulations to St Colman's College

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:49 pm

One of the best posts of 2011 right there........with wonderful credit to the losing team..

I feel sad for St.Jarlaths, the bastions of Connacht underage football come up short once again...

Boxty remembers being on the adverse call of a 1 point game V Jarlaths in an A/I s/f around 1965/66......

Boxty being a St.Mels (Longford) student at the time...

Well done to St.Colmans, tisn't an easy one to win.. cheers
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Hogan Cup final - Congratulations to St Colman's College Empty Re: Hogan Cup final - Congratulations to St Colman's College

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:18 pm

Great game great scores. Walsh Johnston and Silke the pick of the bunch - and a good bunch too.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down