GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darts world championship

+3
JimWexford
bocerty
SamiPremier08
7 posters

Go down

Darts world championship Empty Darts world championship

Post  SamiPremier08 Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:36 pm

Darts is widely regarded as being very boring and I'd usually agree, but I happened to come across the Dave Chisnall vs. Ted Hankey quarter-final on thursday night and it was really exciting stuff. Chisnall is a young lad, new to the scene whilst Hankey was defending world champion. Dave came back from 4 sets to 1 down to win 5-4.

He played the semi-final today against top seed Tony O'Shea and came back again for a brilliant win.

Surprisingly good stuff. Anyone else watch it?
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Darts world championship Empty Re: Darts world championship

Post  bocerty Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:57 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:Darts is widely regarded as being very boring and I'd usually agree, but I happened to come across the Dave Chisnall vs. Ted Hankey quarter-final on thursday night and it was really exciting stuff. Chisnall is a young lad, new to the scene whilst Hankey was defending world champion. Dave came back from 4 sets to 1 down to win 5-4.

He played the semi-final today against top seed Tony O'Shea and came back again for a brilliant win.

glued to it Sami - i enjoy the old darts was glad to see Hankey beat as he is an arrogant twat though the Chisnall is every interviewers nightmare - could hardly get two words out of him, reminds me of the interview Eamon Holmes done with David Blaine several years ago.

The standard isnt as good as the one on Sky that Phil Taylor won though
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:01 pm

bocerty wrote:
SamiPremier08 wrote:Darts is widely regarded as being very boring and I'd usually agree, but I happened to come across the Dave Chisnall vs. Ted Hankey quarter-final on thursday night and it was really exciting stuff. Chisnall is a young lad, new to the scene whilst Hankey was defending world champion. Dave came back from 4 sets to 1 down to win 5-4.

glued to it Sami - i enjoy the old darts was glad to see Hankey beat as he is an arrogant twat though the Chisnall is every interviewers nightmare - could hardly get two words out of him, reminds me of the interview Eamon Holmes done with David Blaine several years ago.

The standard isnt as good as the one on Sky that Phil Taylor won though

yeah i've noticed that boc, Chisnall never says anything to the camera - it's really quite funny at times. The silence when they're waiting for him to say something insightful but he just says one word and leaves it at that. would like to see him win though just for the upset it would cause.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:53 pm

what a final. Thought Chisnall might have had it in him to pull of the comeback but it wasn't to be. Great interview from Dave as well:

"How have changed as a darts player in the last 9 days?"
"I dunno."
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Compared to the darts on last week these boys don't are just that boys. Taylor and co 1000 times better
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:12 pm

JimWexford wrote:Compared to the darts on last week these boys don't are just that boys. Taylor and co 1000 times better

Martin Adams is 52 Jim. Hardly a boy.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:26 am

SamiPremier08 wrote:
JimWexford wrote:Compared to the darts on last week these boys don't are just that boys. Taylor and co 1000 times better

Martin Adams is 52 Jim. Hardly a boy.
to put in simpliar terms those boys are div 24 level compare to Taylor and co at div 1 level.
possibly doing taylor and co a disservice by placing adams/shea and henderson so close to them.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:44 am

I've heard that this is a poor relation to the other competition all right, but when you don't have sky then it's all you can watch. And when you don't know any better, it can be really enjoyable. I watched a game on Fri night where some older gent was 4-0 or 4-1 up and barely managed to win it. Great stuff!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:48 am

RMDrive wrote:I've heard that this is a poor relation to the other competition all right, but when you don't have sky then it's all you can watch. And when you don't know any better, it can be really enjoyable. I watched a game on Fri night where some older gent was 4-0 or 4-1 up and barely managed to win it. Great stuff!
I don't have sky I watch all sky sh8t on the ole internet.
hook the laptop up to the telly.
MMM gave me a **** months ago Justintv.
all sports events are on it saw the cardinals/packer game last night.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:31 pm

JimWexford wrote:
RMDrive wrote:I've heard that this is a poor relation to the other competition all right, but when you don't have sky then it's all you can watch. And when you don't know any better, it can be really enjoyable. I watched a game on Fri night where some older gent was 4-0 or 4-1 up and barely managed to win it. Great stuff!
I don't have sky I watch all sky sh8t on the ole internet.
hook the laptop up to the telly.
MMM gave me a **** months ago Justintv.
all sports events are on it saw the cardinals/packer game last night.

I use justin sometimes but my connection isn't normally good enough to cope with live streaming.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:35 pm

Darts looks like a totally different game on SKY. Bigger crowds, vastly superior presentation and, as Jim points out, much better standard of darts. There are some good players in the BDO, Adams, O'Shea, Hankey, Waites & possibly Chisnell would all be top-32 in the PDC (SKY), but 2-3 of those are likely to make the move across to SKY over the coming months, meaning talent in the BDO will be further reduced.

Despite the BBC pretending the BDO title is still meaningful, it has little credibility in the darting world. The organisation is dead on its feet, and a merger/takeover must be just round the corner.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:41 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:

Darts looks like a totally different game on SKY. Bigger crowds, vastly superior presentation and, as Jim points out, much better standard of darts. There are some good players in the BDO, Adams, O'Shea, Hankey, Waites & possibly Chisnell would all be top-32 in the PDC (SKY), but 2-3 of those are likely to make the move across to SKY over the coming months, meaning talent in the BDO will be further reduced.

Despite the BBC pretending the BDO title is still meaningful, it has little credibility in the darting world. The organisation is dead on its feet, and a merger/takeover must be just round the corner.

I heard Taylor being interviewed recently and he was saying that they've tried to merge the two but the BDO are not interested. So he basically said Fcuk them.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:48 pm

Yes indeed RMD, Barry Hearn of the PDC recently made a large offer to buy out the BDO, but it was turned down by BDO supremo Ollie Croft.

There is so much bad blood between the 2 organisations, and Croft has never forgiven the PDC from breaking away in the first place. Still, money ultmiately talks, and the BDO have only 1 televised tournament annually, where as the PDC have something on SKY half the weeks of the year. Adams won £100k last night, but Taylor has won almost £1m this year alone, and you could treble that in endorsements.

The BDO have to sell, otherwise they may continue to function as amateur/county darts, but any stars (except the stubborn Adams) will end up with the PDC.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:06 pm

Slightly OT but has anyone (honestly!) ever thrown a 180? I've thrown a few 140's back in the day but it was all luck and very little skill. It would usually go something like this:
26 (1/5/20)
11 (1/5/5)
140 (60/60/20)
28 (20/5/T1)

You get the picture ... Darts world championship Icon_redface
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:32 pm

I have thrown 180 once. Threw a few 140's and a few 125's or 121's.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:35 pm

I was in a competition in aid of a convent once. I threw the first dart and got treble 20, next was a 20 and then one of the news walked in front of the board and I fatally hit her in the temple.

The scorekeeper shouted - "One nun dead and eighty!!!!!!"
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down